iPhone 5 will not support simultaneous voice and data on Verizon

Comments

• Reply 61 of 96

Quote:

Originally Posted by starbird73 View Post

The article title makes this seem like a Verizon issue. It isn't. There are not enough antennas in the iPhone 5 to support voice and LTE date on ANY network. AT&T will be 3G speeds when talking and surfing.

There are ways around it, however. FaceTime, Skype, bobsled, vonage.

The issue here is supporting Voice Over LTE, which neither AT&T nor Verizon do. Ars Technica just recently had an article that Korea has the first cell system supporting Voice Over LTE. http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2012/08/worlds-first-voice-over-lte-launches-in-korea-us-stuck-with-3g-calls/

According to the article, VoLTE is due to be implemented towards the end of the year or early next year by Verizon and Metro PCS, followed by ATT & Clearwire. Likely, support for simultaneous 3G and LTE is already easy to achieve, since LTE is more similar to 3G than CDMA, giving AT&T bragging rights until Verizon gets their VoLTE going. Since the phone is being released with only 3 to 6 months before implementation of VoLTE, I can see why Apple wouldn't bother including another chip just for a few months for Verizon.

fwiw, this also explains why Apple made a big deal of better audio fidelity for calls, since VoLTE should have better frequency response.

• Reply 62 of 96

Quote:

Originally Posted by msimpson View Post

I have not seen any "Mormon ads", maybe they are customized just for you,Dysamoria?

I don't see any mormon ads either. Maybe they are targeting Republicans only...

• Reply 63 of 96
    My only hard memories of this concept are of the original iPhone, and so my information might be outdated, but I was under the impression that if you cancel your contract within the first 30 days, you cannot keep the phone at all (the phone that you purchased and own), and after the 30 you must pay the ETF to keep the phone. Nowhere do I remember returning the phone and still having to pay anything.

Did you not read VZWs policy? They changed it from 30 to 14 days last year.
  • Reply 64 of 96

Quote:

Originally Posted by elehcdn View Post

The issue here is supporting Voice Over LTE, which neither AT&T nor Verizon do. Ars Technica just recently had an article that Korea has the first cell system supporting Voice Over LTE. http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2012/08/worlds-first-voice-over-lte-launches-in-korea-us-stuck-with-3g-calls/

According to the article, VoLTE is due to be implemented towards the end of the year or early next year by Verizon and Metro PCS, followed by ATT & Clearwire. Likely, support for simultaneous 3G and LTE is already easy to achieve, since LTE is more similar to 3G than CDMA, giving AT&T bragging rights until Verizon gets their VoLTE going. Since the phone is being released with only 3 to 6 months before implementation of VoLTE, I can see why Apple wouldn't bother including another chip just for a few months for Verizon.

fwiw, this also explains why Apple made a big deal of better audio fidelity for calls, since VoLTE should have better frequency response.

Oops, I should have said HSPDA+ for ATT is probably included in the LTE chipset ...

A little more research finds that Metro PCS actually has implemented VoLTE at approximately the same time as Korea but only around Dallas. Also, Verizon has been testing and apparently has a couple of test markets in the US.

It will be interesting to see how many Android handsets can actually support VoLTE (Metro PCS only offers one model). This could be significant in the comparison between iPhones and Android handsets.

• Reply 65 of 96

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Question is why can't the iPhone do what every other LTE phone can?

Maybe Samscum has a patent on this... anyway, I think the iPhone will be able to pull this off soon, in some manner or other.

• Reply 66 of 96
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

You're doing something wrong because I do it all the time on mine. I even tether while on a call. So it's yours.

I can tether too, although I do have the original GSM version, which doesn't even have LTE, however it will work in more countries.

• Reply 67 of 96
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Curious because that conflicts with this.
    http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/support/return-policy
    You may be able to return your iPhone to Apple but you might be forced to pay the ETF to VZW.

That is curious. I'll just stay within the 14 days to be certain but the bolded text below could be construed as being in favor of Apple's 30 day policy as that is the one that is applicable to an iPhone purchased through Apple. I don't see how they could allow Apple to accept it after 14 days and then still charge you for a plan that is attached to no device.
    If you don’t want to accept, don’t do any of these things. If you do accept, you can cancel a line of Service within 14 days of accepting this Agreement without having to pay an Early Termination Fee as long as you return, within the applicable return period, any equipment you purchased from us or one of our authorized agents at a discount in connection with your acceptance of this Agreement, but you’ll still have to pay for your Service through that date. If you signed up for Prepaid Service, no refunds will be granted after 14 days or if your account has been activated.
  • Reply 68 of 96
    elehcdn wrote: »

So how do you explain the calls it can make over CDMA?
  • Reply 69 of 96
    hill60 wrote: »
    I can tether too, although I do have the original GSM version, which doesn't even have LTE, however it will work in more countries.

DOH. I never considered the GSM version.
  • Reply 70 of 96
    solipsismx wrote: »
    That is curious. I'll just stay within the 14 days to be certain but the bolded text below could be construed as being in favor of Apple's 30 day policy as that is the one that is applicable to an iPhone purchased through Apple. I don't see how they could allow Apple to accept it after 14 days and then still charge you for a plan that is attached to no device.

Also says "any equipment purchased from us or one of our authorized agents"
  • Reply 71 of 96
    Maybe Samscum has a patent on this... anyway, I think the iPhone will be able to pull this off soon, in some manner or other.

Then why can HTC, and Motorola phones do it?
  • Reply 72 of 96
    AT
  • Reply 73 of 96
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    It's Apple's fault, not Verizon:

[QUOTE]So why does Verizon’s Samsung Galaxy S III, a 4G LTE phone, juggle calls and data? Samsung added an extra antenna so that it pulls data from the 4G LTE network at the same time that it’s using another antenna to do voice, said Anand Shimpi, editor in chief of AnandTech.

Then why didn’t Apple add another antenna? Its phone already has two antennas in an effort to improve reception, and it would have had to add a third antenna just for Verizon and Sprint phones to give them simultaneous data and calls, Mr. Shimpi explained. Leaving that third antenna out allows Apple to simplify the process of manufacturing the iPhone for multiple carriers. Plus, in the next two years, 4G LTE technology is supposed to evolve to support voice calls, which would render another antenna unnecessary.[/QUOTE]

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/09/13/iphone-5-calls-data/
  • Reply 74 of 96
    OUCH !!!

Deal-Breaker for me.
    I ALWAYS do tons on internet/app stuff while I talk.

As much as I hate to say it,

Once you go AT&T, you can't go back !!
  • Reply 75 of 96

Quote:

For crying out loud, Verizon, what decade is this??

Incorrect blame.  This is not a verizon problem.  ALL other LTE Smartphones on verizon have the ability to do simultaneous voice and data while on LTE.   Iphone 5 is the only LTE smartphone that cannot do it, due to it's design.

• Reply 76 of 96
    For iPhone 5 and ATT, will phone calls use LTE or use 3G? No data in use for this question.
  • Reply 77 of 96

Originally Posted by mrhoni View Post

For iPhone 5 and ATT, will phone calls use LTE or use 3G? No data in use for this question.

There is no voice over LTE spec. It will use GSM.

• Reply 78 of 96
    mazda 3s wrote: »

Why bother to include extra hardware that will suck down your battery further when it will be obsolete in 6 months?
  • Reply 79 of 96

Because we all know that Verizon won't implement VoLTE until the iPhone 5SVD is released next September.  In May, Verizon spokespeople were telling the tech press that "there's no rush to implement VoLTE because only 2 phones support it."

• Reply 80 of 96
    commun5 wrote: »
    Because we all know that Verizon won't implement VoLTE until the iPhone 5SVD is released next September.  In May, Verizon spokespeople were telling the tech press that "there's no rush to implement VoLTE because only 2 phones support it."

Then that is on Verizon. Verizon has been claiming to implement VoLTE for over a year - you have to wonder if Apple thought Verizon would be good to its word in delivering VoLTE in time when they started designing the iPhone 5.

Btw, here is an article explaining the situation ... "While some network operators might have an inclination towards CS-Fallback (CSFB) to GSM and UMTS, others like Verizon have gone the dual radio approach, i.e. having two radios active at the same time, one for CDMA-1x and one for LTE. "[=http://mobilesociety.typepad.com/mobile_life/2012/03/lte-dual-radio-with-a-single-chip.html][/]

The problem is that you can't run both radios at the same time without causing a lot of interference between them, resulting in a lot of over engineering for an implementation supported by one carrier that will be superseded in less than a year.