Samsung's latest TV ad targets iPhone 5, Apple line waiters

Comments

• Reply 21 of 148
    srice wrote: »
    Samsung is copying the Apple Mac Guy vs PC Guy commercials.
    But they didn't quite copy it correctly, and instead of attacking the PC, they are attacking the people. I guess that nuance was lost in translation. Too funny.

I don't know that their attacking the people more the Apple mentality. The average Apple user can't give reasons why the new iPhone is better, they just buy it. The Apple mentality is similar to the old PlayStation mentality. I remember when Dreamcast came out it was an amazing device. Then Sony announced the PS2, and everyone drooled over it, even though it didn't have any good release titles.

Sometimes people adore product brands so much it hurts innovation.
  • Reply 22 of 148

I was once taught that making fun of potential customers is never a good marketing strategy.

Apple, just for fun, could turn the tables and depict a scene where exactly one person, looking lonely, waits outside a phone vendor's shop for the next BIG Android phone, and while waiting he drops his cheapo plastic Samsung and it shatters.

• Reply 23 of 148

I wonder when Samsung will figure out that this sort of ad campaign against Apple never works. Apple's mindshare is, for the time being, impregnable. 

At most, all it does is hurt other Android OEMs. 

• Reply 24 of 148
    Mom! Dad!
  • Reply 25 of 148
    First rule of advertising. If you have to mention the other guys, you fail.

Second rule, if you have to bash the other guys, you fail

• Reply 26 of 148
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member

I just cant imagine having a phone that syncs with my computer in a manner that is more complicated than Apples.  Also the stinking android based devices are limited in android upgrades than apple is.  Am I right in saying that the iPhone 3gs can upgrade to iOS6 and most android phones of that era cant upgrade to the latest android os?

• Reply 27 of 148
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

CNET showed the iphone 5 on CNBC this morning.   The more I see people handling it the more I love the phone.  From the reaction of someone who took it, the iphone 5 feels very light.

You can see the video here:

http://video.cnbc.com/gallery/?video=3000117023&play=1

• Reply 28 of 148
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    Your phones kissed, lol.
  • Reply 29 of 148
    I love how Samsung keeps focusing on the "waiting in line" aspect of an iPhone launch.... when that really only happens [B][U]one[/U][/B] day a year.

What about the rest of the year... when people buy iPhones by the [U]hundreds of thousands[/U] each day?
  • Reply 30 of 148

I don't think it's so smart to make fun of people for waiting in line when you want their business. I'm going to wait in line regardless. I don't care what anyone else thinks about it. 

• Reply 31 of 148
    bwana_dik wrote: »
    I was once taught that making fun of potential customers is never a good marketing strategy.

Apple, just for fun, could turn the tables and depict a scene where exactly one person, looking lonely, waits outside a phone vendor's shop for the next BIG Android phone, and while waiting he drops his cheapo plastic Samsung and it shatters.

Then the customer looks across the street at all the people waiting in line at the Apple Store and exclaims, "Now I get it!" Then runs across the street.

Anyone who believes producing the best designed, the most desirable, the most satisfying, the most reliable and the most secure smartphone five years in a row is a mistake must be a Neanderthal.
  • Reply 32 of 148
    Hey, that old guy is me! Do I look that stupid? Oh, I guess I should get a Samesung.
  • Reply 33 of 148
    wtg samsung! i now refuse to buy anything samsung branded (i know a lot of oem's use their components) but my last tv was an lg as well as our washer and dryer. samsung is basically making their potential future customers appear stupid in their commercial. that would be like ford saying anyone who drives a chevy is stupid. that does not make me want to switch to their brand at all.
  • Reply 34 of 148
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,122member

Way to go Scamsung.  Try getting new customers by insulting them.  How's it working for you?

• Reply 35 of 148

Come on people. That ad is pretty funny. I have a 5 on order but I still like the ad.

• Reply 36 of 148

Alienating the older crowd (me) isn't such a good idea, either. 

• Reply 37 of 148

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macnewsjunkie View Post

Is any one else puzzled why someone would mock the customers they are trying to woo away from the competition?  I mean are they trying to shame people into buying their product?  I know some of this must be a cultural miss match, but I can't imagine any more incompetent way to go about this.  

Really... You can't goad someone into liking you (or  buying your products)!

• Reply 38 of 148
    sflocal wrote: »
    Way to go Scamsung.  Try getting new customers by insulting them.  How's it working for you?

Unfortunately, Samsung's anti-Apple advertisements are working well for them. The best Android-based smartphone brand is easily HTC yet HTC struggles against Samsung which is exactly why we know that anyone who purchases Samsung smartphones is buying their marketing. Samsung is a brand built almost entirely on marketing although we may not like their marketing strategy it has been successful.

The irony is that Samsung fans call Apple fans "sheep" and refer to the Steve Jobs Reality Distortion Field. Anyone who thinks Samsung is the best Android-based smartphone manufacturer is clearly everything they believe us to be.

I am actually excited to see if HTC gets another shot at the Nexus brand. The HTC Nexus One was easily the best Android-based smartphone to date (as compared to the competition at the time).
  • Reply 39 of 148

Waiting in line? Na, a nice chap in a UPS truck will drop it off to me Friday morning image

• Reply 40 of 148
    Great Samsung copied Apple in Ads too... Apple did exact thing with Mac vs PC.