Apple launches iOS 6 for iPhone, iPad & iPod touch

Comments

• Reply 101 of 148

Originally Posted by snax007 View Post

Geeesh...I was looking for actual confirmation from users who have upgraded and not old promo pictures.

Go the heck to Apple's website RIGHT NOW and look at the pictures. It's in no way "old". You think they're lying to you or something?!

• Reply 102 of 148

Am I imagining things, or was Safari supposed to have a unified address/search bar like in Mountain Lion?

• Reply 103 of 148
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I agree with that. It does look somewhat unpolished.

But the navigation is brilliant.

I find it ugly and unhelpful.  

The street signs don't look anything like the street signs in my area, (presumably that's what signs look like in California), and I don't need turn by turn walking directions anyway.  I mean it's a map that I'm holding in my hand with a f*cking giant blue line on it telling me where to go.  Why would I need to be told to turn right, turn left etc. 

Basically, this app is a complete failure if you aren't driving.  

That's great for 95% of USA residents, but in my country it's more like 60/40 drivers/non-drivers.   

• Reply 104 of 148
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member

Quote:

Geeesh...I was looking for actual confirmation from users who have upgraded and not old promo pictures.

yes, it's gone, i'm on the ipad 2

• Reply 105 of 148

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I find it ugly and unhelpful.  

The street signs don't look anything like the street signs in my area, (presumably that's what signs look like in California), and I don't need turn by turn walking directions anyway.  I mean it's a map that I'm holding in my hand with a f*cking giant blue line on it telling me where to go.  Why would I need to be told to turn right, turn left etc. 

Basically, this app is a complete failure if you aren't driving.  

That's great for 95% of USA residents, but in my country it's more like 60/40 drivers/non-drivers.   

Download Google Maps then. Problem solved.

• Reply 106 of 148

Quote:

To iPad owners who have upgraded: is the youtube app gone?

(and yes, I know there is a iPhone-specific app)

Yes, app is gone.

No, there's no iPad-specific app in the App Store.

But there is this thing called youtube.com which works better than the app anyway. Try it.

• Reply 107 of 148

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

Download Google Maps then. Problem solved.

I'm not seeing an actual Google Maps app in the App Store.

By the way, I'm *really* not liking the App Store redesign. 

• Reply 108 of 148
    Maps is okay, but what's with the clouds? I can't see my house because of a big cloud overhead.

And I wish they didn't remove the YouTube app.
  • Reply 109 of 148
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member

I've just done an amusing side by side of Google Maps on my ancient now unsupported iPad 1, and my iPad 3 running Apple maps. I live in the UK, in a town, not a city.

I searched for 'pizza'. Google returned around 7-8 results. Apple returned 1.

I switched to satellite imagery. Google returned high res, crisp visuals. Apple returned something so blocky it would embarrass a VIC-20. My road was literally less than 10 pixels. It was comically bad, so terrible it's hard to believe anyone could ever release it.

I then had a scan around the regular maps, and of course, Google's were packed with detail. Apple's were mostly empty.

I even tried the turn by turn to route me to where I work, to find Apple only offered me two routes - one through a toll road (with no option to disable toll roads that I could find), and another on a totally obscure little road which I would never use. It ignored the two giant motor ways I can normally use.  I'll stick to Co-Pilot.

And street view is of course, removed too, taking with it what is for me a vital maps feature.

Maybe it will get better, who knows, but my advice would be that if you rely on maps, do not 'upgrade'.

• Reply 110 of 148
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stourque View Post

Maps is okay, but what's with the clouds? I can't see my house because of a big cloud overhead.

And I wish they didn't remove the YouTube app.

Fortunately Google have already released a YouTube app, and it's far superior to Apple's offering. Sadly it's iPhone only though.

• Reply 111 of 148

Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

Fortunately Google have already released a YouTube app, and it's far superior to Apple's offering. Sadly it's iPhone only though.

So ads and iPhone only. In no way is that "superior", much less "far".

• Reply 112 of 148

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

I'm not seeing an actual Google Maps app in the App Store.

By the way, I'm *really* not liking the App Store redesign. 

Hmm, I thought they released it? Maybe that was YouTube.

I don't see any missing functionality, though, except for transit directions. You don't need to use the turn by turn directions, you can still use list view.

• Reply 113 of 148

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So ads and iPhone only. In no way is that "superior", much less "far".

Why not just use the youtube.com website on the iPad? I use it on the iPhone more than the app. The videos are higher quality.

• Reply 114 of 148

Why not just use the youtube.com website on the iPad? I use it on the iPhone more than the app. The videos are higher quality.

Exactly. Don't need a dedicated app, and without Flash there won't be pre- or mid-video ads.

• Reply 115 of 148

Quote:

Hmm, I thought they released it? Maybe that was YouTube.

I don't see any missing functionality, though, except for transit directions. You don't need to use the turn by turn directions, you can still use list view.

Transit directions are missing. I don't use them much, but they're a big deal.  And frankly, I miss Street View already. 3D flyover is great but in my opinion not good enough to replace Street View. And 3D functionality is limited to certain areas. There's also less information on maps, sometimes noticeably. 

Everything does load quickly, though and the map renderings look good. They're very attractive. I actually find the turn-by-turn signs useful for walking directions. 

Other than that - which is good but just not enough - this Map app feels like a step backward. It's clear that Apple does have a roadmap (puns!) for this and that it will be developed, but at this point it just isn't ready. 

It was released too early. If we had nothing else with which to compare it, I'd say fine. But the problem is that users had grown accustomed to a mature, highly functional Google Maps app. That was taken away and replaced by what feels like a beta app, something that's more like where Google Maps *was* a couple of years ago. 

• Reply 116 of 148
    pendergast wrote: »
    Yes, app is gone.

No, there's no iPad-specific app in the App Store.

But there is this thing called youtube.com which works better than the app anyway. Try it.

I have and it blows compared to the app.

Thanks for the update though, I'll just wait for Google to release the iPad app.
  • Reply 117 of 148

WiFi CONNECTION ISSUE

Detailed here:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1446596

I'm not able to connect to my WiFi network, either with iPad 2 or iPhone 4, both running iOS 6.

It connects but then drops it, and then loads up an Apple.com login page. 

My Mac running Mountain Lion, however, connects just fine. 

• Reply 118 of 148

I have the same problem

• Reply 119 of 148
    quadra 610 wrote: »
    Transit directions are missing. I don't use them much, but they're a big deal.  And frankly, I miss Street View already. 3D flyover is great but in my opinion not good enough to replace Street View. And 3D functionality is limited to certain areas. There's also less information on maps, sometimes noticeably. 

Everything does load quickly, though and the map renderings look good. They're very attractive. I actually find the turn-by-turn signs useful for walking directions. 

Other than that - which is good but just not enough - this Map app feels like a step backward. It's clear that Apple does have a roadmap (puns!) for this and that it will be developed, but at this point it just isn't ready. 

It was released too early. If we had nothing else with which to compare it, I'd say fine. But the problem is that users had grown accustomed to a mature, highly functional Google Maps app. That was taken away and replaced by what feels like a beta app, something that's more like where Google Maps *was* a couple of years ago. 

For my own use, I disagree with your assessment. I have had Google Maps misdirect me one too many times for me to feel that Google Maps was some polished offering. Street View is a cool novelty, but I rarely used it. I suspect the same with Flyover.

I don't really take public transportation, but I can see how that would be an issue for some people.

As it stands though, the turn-by-turn navigation and the speed enhancements make for a much better app, and Siri-integration is awesome. Just now I did a POI search and clicked the little car icon next to the red pin and a route instantly is drawn, with turn by turn ready to start. Much, much easier.
  • Reply 120 of 148

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spungin View Post

I have the same problem

It's a pretty brutal bug. This is basic stuff.

it isn't even that the connection is flaky, but that it's dropped *immediately*.