Apple 'working hard' to rectify Maps issues, appreciates 'customer feedback'

Comments

• Reply 181 of 259

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vaelian View Post

Those didn't replace anything. Other tablets continued to be available, users had choice. This is not the case now, unless you do like me and do not upgrade.

Of course you have choice, and lots of them. There are other map apps available in the app store, and you can always access google maps via the web browser. Put on your big boy pants and let it go. Realize that this is V1 and will get better rapidly. Google was holding a gun to apple's head with their app, both monetarily and with lower feature set than their own android app. Why aren't you screaming about that? Give Apple credit for taking on Google, the new evil, and preventing them from gaining total world domination!

• Reply 182 of 259

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

No something about Forstall has always bugged me. This is a PR disaster. Forstsll is responsible for the map team. He needs to take accountability for this screw up.

PR disaster? No, how about a great opportunity for headline baiters, trolls and FUD pushers! This is V1, there are many alternate map app alternatives for the iPHone, and there is still web access to google maps. Everyone complaining, put on your big boy pants and grow up. Things will get better quite rapidly with Apple's offering.

• Reply 183 of 259
    mstone wrote: »
    If you really need to find your way anywhere with reasonable accuracy, you're going to have to get a real map.

It's 2012, not 1912. I disagree. Though you make many valid points otherwise.
    My office in down the street about a 100 meters from the former world headquarters of Thomas Maps and the property is still vacant. Very nice building though I wish I could afford to buy it.They were essentially killed with the web mapping revolution. I know the founders. They relied heavily on Freehand as their design application and when Adobe Illustrator became the default vector drawing application they became very isolated from a technical perspective. Before the Internet revolution, every ambulance, fire truck and police car in California was required to carry Thomas maps onboard. Not any more since they all have online map access. Thomas is toast. interestingly another company that I am familiar with is augmenting fire house response teams with local data such as streams, creeks, swimming pools, etc. where they can get water as well as numbers of house hold pets, and number of residents so in firefighting efforts they have localized information.

Think about encyclopedias... Like World Book or Britannica!
  • Reply 184 of 259

Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Wow, I just realized that Tallest Skil is a moderator over at 9to5Mac as well:

http://************/2012/09/20/as-apples-new-maps-get-ridiculed-its-partners-feel-the-burn-lash-out/

Well, I guess it's safe to say that we here at AI aren't the only ones to receive your venom :-)

I fail to see what this has to do with anything or how it's incorrect. Liars deserve no recourse.

• Reply 185 of 259
    I have a few honest questions for users of Google Maps on Android phones and Tablets:
    1. does it include ads?
    2. is it tracking you?
    3. can you opt out of ads or tracking?
    4. would you prefer a private mapping mode?
    5. is none of this a problem?

1) Yes, only when you perform a search. See:
    l5YJQ.png

a81Yu.png

As soon as you interface with the map, the ad disappears:
    lI77l.png

2) Yes, if location services are enabled

3) Ads: No. Tracking: By disabling location services

4) If it means giving up location-awareness, no.

5) Not really. In the 5+ years that I've been using Google maps, I've yet to see my location or personal data used for anything other than better targeted ads.
    sasparilla wrote: »

They needed to, big time and they needed to keep the Google based Map app available while users helped improve the Apple data based one.  This could really do some serious PR damage right at product launch for their iPhone 5 and they could do so much better with it.

I know Apple has an thing against beta software, but for something as dependent on cloud-sourced data as maps is, an open beta period makes a lot of sense. It gives people a chance to fix major things before launching to the general public; no they're not going to catch every minor misplaced road with it, but it would've launched without all the major mistakes like entire cities being misplaced.

I have no doubt that Apple Maps will get better with time, however, I do doubt Apple's level of commitment to this service. Google is heavily vested in maps because it ties in so nicely with their core business (i.e. search). I just can't see Apple justifying the same level of resources and manpower to mapping as Google; especially considering its a service limited to iOS devices. To me, mapping seems to be another one of their 'hobbies,' and I would be sadden if the service becomes as neglected as the Mac Pro.
  • Reply 186 of 259
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

Quote:

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

Just read on 9to5mac that Google has already submitted maps to the app store.

To repeat:

Google has submitted their Maps to the Apple app store.

Your guess is as good as mine as to how long it will take for approval. I hope it doesn't take as long as Google voice did. Also curious if features are added like voice turn by turn or any features taken out. 

Yes, and that is a good reliable source. Not. 

• Reply 187 of 259
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    He's responsible for iOS. I'm sure there's someone between him and the Maps team.
    Oh sure, but the buck stops with him as the maps team reports up through him (I'm assuming).
  • Reply 188 of 259
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    freerange wrote: »
    PR disaster? No, how about a great opportunity for headline baiters, trolls and FUD pushers! This is V1, there are many alternate map app alternatives for the iPHone, and there is still web access to google maps. Everyone complaining, put on your big boy pants and grow up. Things will get better quite rapidly with Apple's offering.
    Nope it is a PR disaster. Just wait till millions of people (who don't follow tech blogs or fan sites) start using this crappy app. Why do you think Apple is working round the clock to get some of these issues fixed? I'm sure Google and Samsung have big smilies on their faces right now.
  • Reply 189 of 259

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

They did replace something. They replaced Google's maps with their own. Whether you consider them an adequate replacement or not is up to you.

I know they'll get better in a year or two, so in the meantime I'll be using Google Earth and Waze apps. I'll use Apple's maps occasionally for the larger cities.

this is Blackberry mentality..add a feature then will fix it later..they screwed up period

• Reply 190 of 259

Quote:

Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

Of course you have choice, and lots of them. There are other map apps available in the app store, and you can always access google maps via the web browser. Put on your big boy pants and let it go. Realize that this is V1 and will get better rapidly. Google was holding a gun to apple's head with their app, both monetarily and with lower feature set than their own android app. Why aren't you screaming about that? Give Apple credit for taking on Google, the new evil, and preventing them from gaining total world domination!

Yes, that is what I don't get. Google has always given iOS users a lessor experience. Further, an article came out two days ago saying how developers are starting to prefer Android because Google gives developers access to things like a users call history and location data. Again, it shows you with Google you are the product, not the customer.  If it were Microsoft, people would be screaming. Yet, Microsoft is actually putting out good apps for iOS. 

Moreover, I suspect many people who actually wanted a full service map solution weren't using Google maps on an iPhone. I am using Navigon because I like features like  Turn by Turn. I haven't used Google maps on the iPhone in two years. Heck, Map Quest's free IOS application is better than Google maps on an iPhone. It gave you turn by turn for free.  Apple's solution seems pretty good to me. Moreover, I like how Maps gets data from places like Yelp instead of Google places, which just ripped Yelp off (and not as good). 

• Reply 191 of 259
    rogifan wrote: »
    Nope it is a PR disaster. Just wait till millions of people (who don't follow tech blogs or fan sites) start using this crappy app. Why do you think Apple is working round the clock to get some of these issues fixed? I'm sure Google and Samsung have big smilies on their faces right now.

It's missing a lot that iOS 5 Maps had but it also has plenty that it doesn't. For me, this is an overall downgrade, as I've expressed for months, but it's not the disaster some are making it out to be. Unless the turn-by-turn directions are disastrously bad I doubt anything will come of it and I bet most will trade StreetView for TbT*.

* I'm not one of them as I do love my TomTom app.
  • Reply 192 of 259

Quote:

I honestly don't get this. Google Maps on iOS sucked big time. Free apps like Map Quest worked better. I gave up with it and used Navigon. Any problem the iOS map app has is mostly related to needing more data. Apple provided an easy way to report improper data. In the end, the Map app will be much better than what Google was giving us. 

The only reason this is a PR disaster is because the media needs to find something bad to report about.

• Reply 193 of 259

Quote:

Oh sure, but the buck stops with him as the maps team reports up through him (I'm assuming).

no need to assume, you're exactly right.  He's the Senior Vice President of iOS development

• Reply 194 of 259
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBell View Post

Quote:

I honestly don't get this. Google Maps on iOS sucked big time. Free apps like Map Quest worked better. I gave up with it and used Navigon. Any problem the iOS map app has is mostly related to needing more data. Apple provided an easy way to report improper data. In the end, the Map app will be much better than what Google was giving us. 

The only reason this is a PR disaster is because the media needs to find something bad to report about.

Yeah but core mapping is connected to all apps that need mapping or localized search or location aware data so it is more than just saying there are other map apps, this is core functionality.

• Reply 195 of 259
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    kurtmac wrote: »
    To the blind Apple fanboys who are upset that people are complaining about iOS6's Map app, if staying silent would fix this problem, then we would! (but we know differently don't we?)

You have it backwards. The complainers seem to think that whining about it here is going to fix the problem. A number of people (no doubt a very tiny number) are saying that they would refuse to buy an Apple product or would refuse to upgrade to iOS 6 because of the issue. Neither of those solves the problem.

Solving the problem would involve actually sending a bug report to Apple on the problem - which is what all the "Blind Apple fanboys" have been suggesting all along.
  • Reply 196 of 259
    Scott Forestall is a bonehead. if they dont have the apples of steel to sack him, they should at least make sure that smirking jerk never appears again at a keynote and is locked away somewhere on the apple campus to do rudimentary work, including getting coffees and lunch for the guys who now have to work weekends to fix this mess.

Consumers treated as not only mice but lab mice!
  • Reply 197 of 259
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

You have it backwards. The complainers seem to think that whining about it here is going to fix the problem. A number of people (no doubt a very tiny number) are saying that they would refuse to buy an Apple product or would refuse to upgrade to iOS 6 because of the issue. Neither of those solves the problem.

Solving the problem would involve actually sending a bug report to Apple on the problem - which is what all the "Blind Apple fanboys" have been suggesting all along.

Dear Beloved Apple Map Team:

I know you are busy getting a lot of hate mail about the new iOS 6 maps but I would like to point out that I'm trying purchase some properties which don't appear on your new maps app. When you get around to it could you please focus more on actual map data and less on hyping how advanced your new mapping technology will revolutionize the way we think about maps. I just want accurate up to date aerial photography so I can make property purchasing decisions based on location as viewed on online. Without that I would have to find another mapping application. I appreciate all of your effort in developing the smartphone but accurate mapping is very important to my line of business and I feel that your latest offing is less than adequate. Thanks very much, Signed devoted Apple fan.

• Reply 198 of 259

It's quite obvious to anyone not living in a bubble or affected by the reality distortion field exactly what has happened here.

When Steve took his big ol temper tantrum and threatened to "go thermonuclear" on Android, it set actions in motion to eliminate Google as a partner.  Even though Maps clearly isn't ready for PrimeTime, Apple shipped it anyway because it's more important for them to them to hurt Google than it is to help customers.

It's bullshit that Apple deliberately crippled iOS6 for iPhone 4 users. We don't receive features like turn-by-turn directions, panoramic photos, FaceTime over cellular, etc even though the hardware is more than capable of running them.  How do I know this?  Because there are a TON of apps that perform these exact features. iOS users can no longer make fun of Android fragmentation. iOS is equally as fragmented. Version numbers have nothing to do with it.

And let's not forget the jerkoff they hired to run retail.  The first thing he did was fire people...  in a bad economy...  when Apple Retail is making more money per square foot than anyone else.

I do not like where the company has been headed lately.  They're the richest company in the world and instead of spending more money on R&D (4% compared to 12% at MS and GOOG) and innovating, they're taking advantage of an obsolete patent system by bullying and litigating.  You know who used to do that?  Microsoft.  You know who else?  The "Big Brother" character in Apple's 1984 commercial.  As a result, Android has more market share and features while Windows Phone has a better GUI.

iPhone has become stagnant.  And Apple has become fat and happy.

So this Xmas I'm switching to Windows Phone.  They have the best GUI and since Microsoft is in third place, they're going to fight the hardest for my business...which means the platform is only going to get better.

In the end, it's all about who has the best ecosystem. With Windows 8, Windows Phone 8, XBOX, SkyDrive, and MyFord Touch, Microsoft has all the bases covered--except for a decent watch.

• Reply 199 of 259
    If you want to know what Apple must do with Maps, and why Google is so far ahead, read this:

http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2012/09/how-google-builds-its-maps-and-what-it-means-for-the-future-of-everything/261913/
  • Reply 200 of 259

Try Nokia Maps with public transportation and routing using the Mobile HTML5 version for iOS 6 here http://m.maps.nokia.com/