Briefly: Apple rolls out four new iPhone 5 ads

Comments

• Reply 81 of 142
    gazoobee wrote: »
    I just meant that it read to me like a satire because it's an entire ad touting a very minor aspect/feature of the phone and they even repeat themselves in the ad a few times.  It's like having a whole ad about the fact that it has a power button.  

The phone is lighter, thinner, smaller volume etc. and all of those together are an impressive achievement, but the ad doesn't talk about that.  The ad basically just says "longer screen, but thinner!!!" As if it was some kind of engineering marvel that the phone was a tiny bit thinner, but also longer.  

I don't think it conveys (at least to me), the message they intended to.  

IMO a better ad would be people gushing over how light and thin it is when it's handed to them for the first time and letting the audience know that it's lighter, thinner, and smaller all around.  Then have the kicker at the end say that it actually has a bigger screen.   I just find the way that they turn the iPhone edgewise to the camera as if to say "look! thinner!!" is silly.  The average person will look at that and go ... "It's slightly thinner. So what?"  

I think we're on the same page but look at it from different angles which is why I agree with your observations but think it just makes them look like ads for less a less intelligent crowd, at least in the realm of spacial recognition and technology.
  • Reply 82 of 142
    These are back to Apple standards, especially the "Cheese" commercial. Excellent.
  • Reply 83 of 142

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

IMO a better ad would be people gushing over how light and thin it is when it's handed to them for the first time and letting the audience know that it's lighter, thinner, and smaller all around.  Then have the kicker at the end say that it actually has a bigger screen.   I just find the way that they turn the iPhone edgewise to the camera as if to say "look! thinner!!" is silly.  The average person will look at that and go ... "It's slightly thinner. So what?"  

this picture can tell us more than any word about the size and wearability of that iPod Nano:

• Reply 84 of 142
    natesf wrote: »
    Wow! These are horrible in a way that I never thought possible from Apple. Yikes! Apple -- pull these down like the "Genius" batch. I never make comments here -- I think the last time was like 10 years ago -- these adds are so bad so bad I had to figure out my Appleinsider account info to share my disgust. YUCK!

Your last attempt could not have been much more than two years and nine months ago...
  • Reply 85 of 142
    solipsismx wrote: »
    "How can something be bigger and smaller?" just sounds like a brain teaser I might ask an 8yo, hence by dislike for it. I don't think my other ad comments need further explanation. What are your thoughts on each ad?
    PS: It's OK to disagree. I usually agree with you but I'm quite content to know that your PoV is vastly different because I know you've thought about your response instead of making knee-jerk reaction.

That was my favorite one.

Everyone's tastes are different right?
  • Reply 86 of 142
    Perhaps the iDUMBEST Commercials from Apple everzzzz..... or at least since...... well since the last ones they put out!

So..... ahumm.. very Un"Genius" of them to strike out two times in a row. Where's Steve? Calling Steve JobsjQuery182041506051970645785_1348349716869? You need to be reborn to save Apple before totally wreck their present market advantage with these lame commercials or worse sue their competitors out of the phone market they invented. Then they'll just become the Patent Trolls YOU'VE BECOME ALREADY... and iSUE YOU OUT OF BUSINESS and We'll Have No Smartphones for Sale at least here in America!!!!

btw... at least learn to do good commercials again. I mean really FIRE your Publicity Agency who've failed once again to make a compelling commercial to sell more iPhones!
  • Reply 87 of 142
    The buying public clearly disagrees with you, since the number of total phones larger than 4-in is greater than the number of iPhones sold.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Who says Apple will ever have a 4.5" display? Personally I think the bigger is better meme will die out. Especially if battery technology improves to where you don't need a humongous battery to get great battery life. Did Android OEM's really make bigger screen phones because they thought they were better or because they're slaves to the telecoms and you need a bigger battery with LTE? Ultimately the sales figures will tell us the real truth, If a bigger screen is THAT important to people iPhone sales will drop off. So far based on pre-sales figures that isn't happening.

To me design is about a lot more than screen size. While the Galaxy S3 got great reviews for many things, design wasn't one of them. And Nokia? They've been using the same basic design on their phones for a while now. N90. Lumia 800, 900 and 920 all look basically the same except for the screen size getting bigger. Plus the new HTC Windows Phone 8 phones look just like the Lumia's (Nokia even commented on it).
  • Reply 88 of 142

Apologies for being off topic (and posting on two articles, hoping to get a logical non-demeaning answer), can someone tell me WHY does Apple launch a new product and with in one day every store is out of inventory? I know there is pre-order, but I (and many people) did not have the money to pre-order last week and I'd rather not wait 2-3 more weeks if I pre-order now. Who releases a product and only gives stores enough inventory to last 12-24 hours and then make their customers wait another 36-72 hours to buy. It makes no sense to me. At an AT&T store near me 15-20 people were in line at 9am and only 2-3 got to buy. Why turn money away, why not just give each store and carrier enough to last 3-5 days. Whatever Apple's first weekend sales will be, they could have been A LOT more if the stores had more inventory. I don't get it.

• Reply 89 of 142
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    <span style="color:rgb(24,24,24);font-family:'lucida grande', verdana, helvetica, sans-serif;line-height:normal;background-color:rgb(226,225,225);">Apologies for being off topic (and posting on two articles, hoping to get a logical non-demeaning answer), can someone tell me WHY does Apple launch a new product and with in one day every store is out of inventory? I know there is pre-order, but I (and many people) did not have the money to pre-order last week and I'd rather not wait 2-3 more weeks if I pre-order now. Who releases a product and only gives stores enough inventory to last 12-24 hours and then make their customers wait another 36-72 hours to buy. It makes no sense to me. At an AT&T store near me 15-20 people were in line at 9am and only 2-3 got to buy. Why turn money away, why not just give each store and carrier enough to last 3-5 days. Whatever Apple's first weekend sales will be, they could have been A LOT more if the stores had more inventory. I don't get it.</span>

It takes time to manufacture millions of phones. You don't turn the switch and suddenly have 10 M phones in inventory. Apple undoubtedly started production the minute the design was finalized and the plants have been running flat out since then. They apparently had millions of phones available for the launch-which is more than any other company on the planet could have done.

They could have waited until they had 10 M phones in inventory, but what good would that have done? First, the orders would continue to come in, so it would have taken months to catch up. Second, this way at least SOME people get to use their phones early on.

Expecting Apple to have enough phones to satisfy demand on launch day is unreasonable.
  • Reply 90 of 142
    Apologies for being off topic (and posting on two articles, hoping to get a logical non-demeaning answer), can someone tell me WHY does Apple launch a new product and with in one day every store is out of inventory? I know there is pre-order, but I (and many people) did not have the money to pre-order last week and I'd rather not wait 2-3 more weeks if I pre-order now. Who releases a product and only gives stores enough inventory to last 12-24 hours and then make their customers wait another 36-72 hours to buy. It makes no sense to me. At an AT&T store near me 15-20 people were in line at 9am and only 2-3 got to buy. Why turn money away, why not just give each store and carrier enough to last 3-5 days. Whatever Apple's first weekend sales will be, they could have been A LOT more if the stores had more inventory. I don't get it.

You are ignoring the number of people buying the devices. Let's say an Apple Store can hold 1000 extra iPhones in storage but they have more than 1000 customers for that day. Do you think the Store should pile them up outside like 2 liter bottles of Coke and Pepsi at a gas station convenience store?

Wait until Monday to see how many they sold this past weekend. Last year they sold 4 million units. Note that if you tried to order something from Amazon (an actual example) earlier in the week and wanted it delivered on Friday you couldn't get it. Thursday and Saturday were options, but not Friday. Now, I can't prove it was because of the iPhone but I can't think of another reason.

This isn't just some silly little launch. This is many millions of tangible units being moved in a very short period of time. Tangible is a key word here because unlike SW it has to stored within finite physical space and can't be duplicated with a simple copy command.

Remember when the Kinect was crowned the fastest selling consumer electronics device (even though it's just an accessory to CE) for selling 8 million units in its first 60 days? Well the iPhone 4S killed that but since Apple never reported it as such it was never recorded as such. They sold 4 million iPhone 4S's in the first weekend last year and with the 24 hour pre-orders doubling over last year It's possible that they could sell 8 million units of a $650-$850 smartphone in just 3 days on the market. I call that impressive on every level.
  • Reply 91 of 142
    The "Thumb" one is the best. I would just directly attack Samsung and say "we made the iPhone 5 using common sense, unlike that other idiot company Samsung. Common sense seems to be the only thing they haven't copies us for".
  • Reply 92 of 142
    Snide? HuhjQuery18207768777164164931_1348368086760 Better look it up.
  • Reply 93 of 142

Don't forget... Apple will be selling the iPhone 5 for the next year (and beyond actually)

It's not like this weekend is the ONLY time to buy an iPhone 5

And has others have stated... Apple has to make these things by hand. There is only so much manufacturing capability in the world (and Apple already has much of it!)

Just relax and the iPhone 5 will come to a store near you soon.
  • Reply 94 of 142

Quote:

Originally Posted by doh123 View Post

The physics one is completely stupid... its like they think people are idiots or something.   ... "How can it be bigger and smaller?"  its NOT!!!

Really? This is what you want to display to the wold?

• Reply 95 of 142
    chris_ca wrote: »

And here I was saying they were dumbing them down for a new audience. I guess not enough. Do you want to explain how something can be smaller in one regard whilst being bigger in another?
  • Reply 96 of 142

Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

I don't think that even a piece of high, open, uncultivated land would mistake the message of that commercial.

• Reply 97 of 142
    Actually, I like them. They fall into more the traditional Apple ads, which I think is good.
  • Reply 98 of 142
    natesf wrote: »
    Wow! These are horrible in a way that I never thought possible from Apple. Yikes! Apple -- pull these down like the "Genius" batch. I never make comments here -- I think the last time was like 10 years ago -- these adds are so bad so bad I had to figure out my Appleinsider account info to share my disgust. YUCK!
    So your last previous post was approximately 7-1/2 years before you signed up with Appleinsider? Right...okay. Now if you say things like that, how do you expect us to take you seriously?
  • Reply 99 of 142
    gazoobee wrote: »
    I don't know.  A whole advert to trumpet a less than 1.7mm difference in thickness?  It's kind of ridiculous isn't it?  It plays like a bad SNL satire.  

It is smaller and lighter, but instead of focussing on all the dimensions (weight, volume, etc.), they just keep turning it sideways and going "see! ... thinner!!!!"
    Slightly lame if you ask me. 

Love the rest though. 
    What ad where you watching? Please pay attention, as you are wasting our time. The ad does not say "thinner, it says "smaller" and "less", both of which can refer to dimensions or weight. Slightly lame if you ask me.
  • Reply 100 of 142
    cpsro wrote: »
    Swell. A lot of pissed off cats in my household over the thumb ad.
    Sorry but I missed the point. Please help me out. Pissed off cats?