Apple's new Maps in iOS 6 draw ire from users around the world

1192021222325»

Comments

• Reply 481 of 493

I was watching The Verge podcast and the crew member was explaining that Apple Maps is still reliable, but Google Maps has a ton of data to comply with. However, Apple Maps will be a better source over a period of time. Apple have been working on Maps for about 5 years or so and it should have a much more compatible data package in tact upon iOS 6 release.

• Reply 482 of 493

I've seen a little more accurate routing from Apple Maps than I did will Google Maps. I think it's a good first attempt, and the public transit is the only area it's really lacking. I think we'll see big improvements before too long.

• Reply 483 of 493
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member

My original maps tirade thread went completely unnoticed. Perhaps I posted it too early after the iOS 6 release. Anyway, here is my rant from that other thread (which got no replies).

Quote:

Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

Wow. The new map app is horrible, possibly the worst map display I've seen in years.

Streets and street names are rendered in a manner that doesn't lend itself to easy scanning and comprehension. But seriously, the visual style makes it incredibly hard to use. It looks like a random bunch of words on a biege background. There is no visual coherence whatsoever.

On top of that, there is no street view and no public transit. No longer is it possible to see a picture of where i'm going.

It's almost bad enough to make me want to switch back to iOS5. Maps is one of the few apps I use on regular basis and this is a massive downgrade.

Am I being too harsh? Or is it really that horrible?

Quote:

With a bit more use, i'm beginning to be able to better verbalize one of the problems.

Streets are rendered with so little contrast (gray on beige) that they are barely visible. Instead, street names are rendered with much more contrast (black on beige). This makes it nearly impossible to visually scan the screen and gain a quick understanding of the street grid.

People that are visually and spatially oriented are not well served by the new look of the maps. The new maps makes the rendering of streets a secondary function. Display of street names is now the primary function.

Quote:

The visual indicator for one way streets is now almost invisible. At first I thought their database was wrong. But no, holding the phone a few inches from my head I was finally able to confirm that light blue arrows do exist to indicate one way streets. However they are light blue in a sea of beige and about the size of a fraction of a single letter of the street name. It is absolutely astounding that this got through Apple's quality control. Did the user tests not include one way streets?

Also, buildings are no longer drawn at all. Yep, one more visual cue that was removed.

Best yet... most streets are now completely unlabeled. It is necessary to zoom in ludicrously far for the names to be displayed. This is likely because some randomly chosen streets are labeled with too large of text in the normal zoom levels. There is no space left to include all the street names.

Quote:

Gizmodo has a nice photo to illustrate some of these problems:

Should You Keep Your Old iPhone on iOS 5 for Google Maps?

http://gizmodo.com/5944437/should-you-keep-your-old-iphone-on-ios-5-for-google-maps

• Reply 484 of 493

Quote:

Originally Posted by drewys808 View Post

Does anyone know how, we the users, can help to improve iOS maps?

I realize that we can't help with satellite imagery, but are there other deliberate ways we can help?...is there a type of help/feedback system?

Or does Apple just mine some of the data "automatically" from our daily usage?

Millions of iOS users are probably open to helping improve the maps, so what could we do to expedite?

And if there are deliberate methods to improve it, maybe the iOS community (or Apple) should shout those methods out via whatever media possible?

Moving on to SOLUTIONS...http://www.macrumors.com/2012/09/24/how-to-report-a-problem-with-ios-6-maps-data/

• Reply 485 of 493
    habihabi Posts: 317member

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCK75 View Post

Pretty terrible. Lists a restaurant as being in my neighborhood that is actually 500 miles away. Tells me to take an illegal left turn at the end of my street onto a main road.

The directions also stink (Boston). Google gave much better suggestions.

The lack of decent traffic data also stinks. Google is fantastic in this regard, iMaps is spotty as can be.

Basically a huge downgrade.

Well google maps on iphone is just crap also. I Have similar things happen to me when using it to navigate here in Finland.

A few that comes to mind:

- suggests wrong roads even if i search the right and it IS in the database.

- cant find numerous road numbers, just the road.

That pretty much makes using google maps on iphone to navigate a bad idea. Bought a navigation app a few years ago.

• Reply 486 of 493
    Count me in among those who think the new maps are unacceptably bad, and a huge embarrassment.
  • Reply 487 of 493
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 1,931member

Google employees must be frightened.  Because Google Maps have flaws.  The new Apple Maps will challenge Google Maps in the long run.  Users and reviewers will compare them from now on.  When Apple Maps become more accurate than Google Maps, Google will lose its dominant position. 

• Reply 488 of 493

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

All right, then I don't understand at all why they haven't just used OSM' maps 1:1 with what's online.

Exactly.

Everyone reading this - next time you have a Maps fail, type the *exact* same thing into OSM. I am very curious what happens.

• Reply 489 of 493

Add to your list:

Why are parks and forests so important to Maps? On every scale, the only objects that are clearly defined are greenspaces. They graphically overwhelm everything else, even airports.

• Reply 490 of 493

Originally Posted by drewys808 View Post

Moving on to SOLUTIONS...http://www.macrumors.com/2012/09/24/how-to-report-a-problem-with-ios-6-maps-data/

This is a solution for POI entries, but not for outright wrongness.

Again, Apple is taking the wrong data from the wrong place. They need to take the right data from the right place.

They don't need to *fix* the data, so reporting a "problem" like "city in the wrong place" isn't the solution.

Whatever the solution is, it will be someone at Apple pressing a button to do another database convert.

• Reply 491 of 493

We are always expecting perfection from apple, but come on: as if Google Maps is very accurate!... - My street appears with the name of a street above; there are countries, as  Mozambique for instance, or some parts of Brazil that were left behind with null information. People take a photo of a mountain some kms away, post it with geo-reference and it becomes the place itself... give me a break!

• Reply 492 of 493
    What did people expect? A first generation application to better the present standards, whilst redefining our concepts of what maps should be? Apple certainly took a gamble, not only did they show what cards they had--possessing a potential that still viable--but laid their hand down too early. If Apple had released Maps as a Public Beta we'd be looking at it's potential. Unfortunately the natural progress and development that could have occurred will be lost in coming months band-aiding what is more a marketing fiasco than an app gone wrong.