Apple CEO Tim Cook apologizes to customers for Maps in iOS 6

Comments

• Reply 81 of 381
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    rednival wrote: »
    I think it was a bit unnecessary too.  Simply mentioning third-party apps are available if you wanted an alternative would have been sufficient, but I am not even sure he needed to go that far.

All in all I feel his wording went a bit further than I would have expected.  Simply acknowledging that, "Hey, it's young.  It will get better" was all he needed to say.
    Thing is for Cook to make a statement it couldn't be anything but an apology. So in some ways it's kind of damned if you do damned if you don't. My only concern is it opens the door to people expecting apologies for every little thing.
  • Reply 82 of 381

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }
    I have not had a single problem on several trips from 5 minutes to 1 hour in and around Philadelphia.

The new maps are beautiful and will get better and better.

Google is off my iPhone. That's almost as beautiful.

Thanks, Tim.

• Reply 83 of 381
    "The more our customers use our Maps the better it will get"
    Hmmm... Where have I heard this before?
  • Reply 84 of 381
    rayzrayz Posts: 814member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I just wanted to say thank you for not being the CEO of Apple, Inc.

Seconded,

• Reply 85 of 381

Quite surprised and impressed that Cook offered such a full apology, and even recommended rival products.

I guess Apple has to look at the issue pragmatically. They had to release Maps at some point to cut their dependency on Google, but the product could never improve until it was released and corrections were crowdsourced. Hence, release it and collect data from those persevering, whilst acknowledging that some may not be satisfied and pointing them humbly to competing products. Makes sense.

• Reply 86 of 381

my only gripe is using a 3rd party app for public transit.  in Mpls/StP, maps are pretty accurate, but this is a rough city for transit due to the population density (lack thereof... therefore lots of bus schedule changes throughout the day, so if you're a transit user, if you vary your schedule, it's almost impossible to figure out the best fit bus trip).  

The former interface had a very simple transition from bus to car, which allowed me to best fit my options.  Current interface driving me to 3rd parties doesn't provide me with the comparitive option.

I'm a singular data point, but the the 'one stop nature' of prior maps was big in my book.

• Reply 87 of 381
    lerxtlerxt Posts: 186member
    rednival wrote: »
    They're not going to and expecting them to do so is a bit unrealistic. I am 100% convinced it will come back as a standalone app though, and Cook's response all but seals that as he points to third-party apps.  The people arguing Apple will reject the app have little to base that on.  Last time Apple rejected a Google app the FTC got involved (Search "Google Voice App Store").

Buy your iPhone 5 and enjoy it. The Map app isn't that bad.

Where I live, and where i regularly travel too, it's hopelessly unusable.
  • Reply 88 of 381

Quote:

Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

I know you're not asking me this question, but I believe they WILL release a Google Maps App in iOS...but not for a long time.  By the time it's "ready" and "approved" this will all be in the past, and Apple's own maps app will be iOS users first choice.  Just like in Android, how many people actually download 3rd party apps?  I don't have numbers, but I suspect it's a very very low %

Like you, I don't care if they do or not, i'm quite happy with iOS maps and turn by turn.  Just my .02

Actually the people that download 3rd party apps on iOS is very high, BUT how many download "replacement" apps for built in functions is entirely different, and I agree.  I think people will get over this pretty quick.

The only negative experience I had was it seems to have a bit of trouble finding things close by in some cases.  It found a store close by but did not find a street address until I added a city, then it was fine.

It also has issues with generic terms, like "restaurants".  

I consider those minor quirks that are easy to fix.  I general I find it really hasn't changed that much.

• Reply 89 of 381

Fine; explain this using some sort of logic.

No explanation necessary. Any logical mind would simply induce that if a licensing fee(s) were not to be paid to Google over the future years then Apple would be making a substantial amount of money. Unless of course if Apple's R&D costs are more. And judging by where they are vs where they need to be with Maps it very well could be.
    But I doubt it.
  • Reply 90 of 381
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    baka-dubbs wrote: »
    I find the weight complaints to be crazy, that now we are saying something having heft makes it higher quality.  It reminds me of the luxury automakers who used to put weights in the door so they would have a more solid feel.  Yet now they are all about reducing weight for fuel economy.  Your right in that people are going to complain about everything.  The phone is a solid chunk of metal with one of the strongest screens available, and quality compoments.  How anyone can complain that it doesn't feel like a premium product is beyond me.  There is no flex and the gaps are almost non-existant.  I think I am going to make lead lined case called the iWeight for those who would rather have the phone feel like a brick in their pockets.
    I think the weight thing is crazy too. I think it's more impressive that they were able to pack all that technology into something so thin and light, As far as scuffs, I'll take at trade off for something so thin and lit with this build quality. But I always take care of my phones and I'd never put a naked phone in the same pocket as keyed and coins. I own several pairs of expensive suede shoes that I would never wear outside in the winter knowing that going through snow, salt and sand would soil the fabric. I don't blame the manufacturer for not making suede shoes that don't get dirty.
  • Reply 91 of 381

So you are calling him out for saying something that is true?
    On topic though, I'm a former iPhone person but now use WP and Android for my own reasons and while I'm not a big fan of the iOS environment, ...

You seem reasonable, but your Windows Phone gave you away.

J.
  • Reply 92 of 381

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lerxt View Post

Classless response. The classy thing todo would be to pull it and put google maps back on. I'm not buying iPhone 5 till they do

if Google maps are that important to you, why don't you get an Android phone? You will ALWAYS have the latest Google Maps on it.

• Reply 93 of 381

Originally Posted by Vaelian View Post

The fact that an app is pushed to production in this state is a demonstration of pure incompetence, I wouldn't even accept this from a newbie developer.

Yeah! How dare Google release their maps in this condition! It should be absolutely perfect from the instant it launc—what's that? Yeah, I said Google. Uh huh? Oh, yes, don't you remember? Google Maps had these same problems when it was launched. How silly of you to forget. Ignore is probably more accurate.

Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

No explanation necessary.

Ah. Right. That solves everything, doesn't it? Forgive me if I just mock everything you say from here on out. 

• Reply 94 of 381
    Yeah! How dare Google release their maps in this condition! It should be absolutely perfect from the instant it launc—what's that? Yeah, I said Google. Uh huh? Oh, yes, don't you remember? Google Maps had these same problems when it was launched. How silly of you to forget. Ignore is probably more accurate.

Your analogy is flawed, Google Maps didn't replace anything.
  • Reply 95 of 381
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

This letter should not exist. What kind of idiot tells people to use a competitor's product when they need users to improve their own? 

Easy, most folks wont bother since maps works okay for many users.  In those areas they will get the POI updates they need.

For areas where the maps completely suck crowdsourcing wont help unless it's of the OSM kind where some folks enter data for an entire local area.  

• Reply 96 of 381

Ah. Right. That solves everything, doesn't it? Forgive me if I just mock everything you say from here on out. 

Sorry I failed your inane pop quiz.
    Go right ahead. Who cares?
  • Reply 97 of 381

Quote:

Originally Posted by Psych_guy View Post

From where I'm standing with iOS on two devices (whoops that makes me a fanboy I guess!) I don't have a problem with Apple maps, so in my mind I don't see why Tim should apologize. Quite frankly unless a poll were released to show how many people were actually affected by the issue, I choose not to listen to people who bitch and moan so loudly they drawnout everyone else. For all you know they could be a minority.

Obviously Tim apologized because he could see the public perception, even if Maps works fine for you, was damaging the iPhone and Apple brands.  Tim is diffusing the situation, and for customers who are having trouble (and people who are considering a 5), will look like he's listening to them and making folks considering buying feel a little more secure (there are other options and its really important to us that we get this fixed).  JMHO...

• Reply 98 of 381

WTF are you doing, Tim?

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

At Apple, we strive to make world-class products that deliver the best experience possible to our customers. With the launch of our new Maps last week, we fell short on this commitment. We are extremely sorry for the frustration this has caused our customers and we are doing everything we can to make Maps better.

We launched Maps initially with the first version of iOS. As time progressed, we wanted to provide our customers with even better Maps including features such as turn-by-turn directions, voice integration, Flyover and vector-based maps. In order to do this, we had to create a new version of Maps from the ground up.

There are already more than 100 million iOS devices using the new Apple Maps, with more and more joining us every day. In just over a week, iOS users with the new Maps have already searched for nearly half a billion locations. The more our customers use our Maps the better it will get and we greatly appreciate all of the feedback we have received from you.

While we're improving Maps, you can try alternatives by downloading map apps from the App Store like Bing, MapQuest and Waze, or use Google or Nokia maps by going to their websites and creating an icon on your home screen to their web app.

Everything we do at Apple is aimed at making our products the best in the world. We know that you expect that from us, and we will keep working non-stop until Maps lives up to the same incredibly high standard.

Tim Cook

Apple's CEO

Blah blah blah blah, meaningless corporate jibber-jabber which denigrates your company. By giving the "problem" *even more* attention, you've made an even larger issue out of it. Those who didn't really notice or care will now *really* apply the microscope. The issue was already resolving itself and Cook turns into a pu**y.

I hope this is the last time I get to read such idiocy from Apple's CEO. 

• Reply 99 of 381

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

This letter should not exist. What kind of idiot tells people to use a competitor's product when they need users to improve their own? 

I actually like the move. It shows confidence in his product and that it'll get better, and shows (and also shuts up the naysayers) people that this truly WAS a move to give the users a better product, and not an attempt to "Stick it to Google". So in essence, they really do want the iPhone users to have the best experience, and they are doing what they can to provide it. Hopefully it'll be with their mapping solution soon.

• Reply 100 of 381

deleted