Apple support document addresses iPhone 5 'purple haze'

Comments

• Reply 61 of 118
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member
    I'd rather that Apple address real issues (exemple: why doesn't my mom's Facetime have sound anymore, 5 minutes into a call, which requires a reboot of the Mac to solve?)

But surely, it's better to focus on PurpleHazeGate.
  • Reply 62 of 118
    bsimpsenbsimpsen Posts: 399member

Quote:

Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

Really? Sounds to me like people tried to splitting hair here. Look at the photo, delete the flare (suppose no sun there) what will you get with the black leaves and white sky? Oh, Chromatic aberration around the edge of the leaves. Now put in the sun, we have the flare and this aberration is amplified by the much higher contrast so the tint is much more pronounced and mixed with the flare but we can't call this change in color (from black leaves and white sky to purple) Chromatic aberration? Please...

You can shoot directly at the sun with no tint. Even iPhone 5 can. The appearance of the tint is what it's called CA. I'm glad I'm not academic person so I don't have to splitting hair in real life.

It's not helpful to put so much effort into being wrong. The purple fringing on high contrast detail (the leaves) is indeed chromatic aberration. The close proximity of the fringe to the leaf edge is the result of the very small displacement of the focal length for various wavelengths of light passing through the optical train. You'll notice that the purple fringe around the sun is quite displaced from it, so the same mechanism is clearly not at work. That purple fringe is caused by internal reflections from faces of elements in the optical train, some of which may take place at angles that reveal color due to undesirable interference in anti reflective or spectral filter (IR reject) coatings. There can also be scattering from microscopic internal and/or surface defects.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lens_flare

Look at the example images.

The inclusion of the sun in the image would actually decrease the contrast between the leaves and the sky because light leak across the entire image will raise the black level. Anyone familiar with photography has seen that shielding the lens of a camera upon which out-of-image sunlight directly falls, increases the contrast of resulting photographs. You have inadvertently argued that removing lens hoods will improve image contrast. I challenge you to find a supporter for that argument.

You'll also notice that the purple flare in the example image has a great deal of ray structure, along which you can discern hints of rainbowing. Would you care to explain how chromatic aberration causes that?

As for being thankful you are unable to split such hairs, I ask you to rethink the wisdom of embracing ignorance.

• Reply 63 of 118
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    gazoobee wrote: »
    I think you guys are just splitting hairs here.  Moving the camera will indeed correct the problem just as slight tilting will. It's also really unlikely that the average user could tilt the iPhone while still having it remain in a fixed position just as you note the unlikeliness of moving the camera without also tilting it somehow.

You're right, it is splitting hairs, though I like it when people sound like they know what they're talking about and get the fundamental stuff right.

If it's the sun that is in question, you absolutely must turn the camera to get the sun out of the frame. You would have to "slide" the camera at least the width of the earth to do it without rotation. You can demonstrate it for yourself with a simple experiment. Draw a sun onto a piece of paper, and tape it onto an opposite wall. Take one photo of that piece of paper from the other side of the room. Slide the camera to one side a few inches and take another photo. After that, rotate the camera a few degrees and take another photo. The photo where you rotate the camera direction has a meaningful change in framing of the photo. Sliding the camera will not have nearly the same effect. Involve the real sun, practically none at all.
  • Reply 64 of 118
    desuserigndesuserign Posts: 1,316member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Money back???

JJ Abrams shot Star Trek with $30K Panavision lenses with stagehands off camera intentionally throwing extra lights on the lens to get it to flare ridiculously.

I'm pretty sure JJ Abrams wasn't looking to get the kind of flare discussed here in every shot of his movie. But there's also this:

I'm sure they were not extensive, but "The Avengers" contained several shots that were taken with an iPhone. Not only that, they even are used in the trailer:

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2011/10/20/the-avengers-iphone/

I'm guessing 0:20, 0:47, and 1:24 might be iPhone shots (and yes there is some flare in some of these shots, but not overwhelming purple stuff.)

On a similar note there are some super cool things going on with inexpensive, but very hight quality cinema cameras that are pursuing different strategies to get to a similar goal. These are all under $3000 for the camera body (even less for the first one.)

Magic Lantern, open firmware for several Canon DSLRs (the most affordable, DIY, and frankly amazing):

http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/Magic_Lantern_Firmware_Wiki

KickStarter Digital Bolex (The coolest, and most spiritually satisfying, and available to original KickStarters soon):

http://www.digitalbolex.com/products/

Black Magic (the most professional, business like, and surpisingly affordable):

http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/blackmagiccinemacamera/

• Reply 65 of 118
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I have not had an opportunity to test this for myself until now. I just took this image a few minutes ago which according to all reports should have shown purple but it does not. This is totally un-retouched so don't even suggest I did something. It is taken with the default settings on iPhone 5.

Well maybe the people are leaving the clear plastic protector on the phone and not removing it there for creating the hue.  I don't know just a thought.

• Reply 66 of 118
    desuserigndesuserign Posts: 1,316member

Quote:

Ok so I took another shot with the sun just out of frame still no purple. Maybe there are some iPhone 5 cameras that are defective.

I don't think so, but I appreciate the fact that you are experimenting. It's only by actual experimentation that it can be figured out. If I had an iPhone4s and 5 I would enjoy running systematic experiments to figure it out for myself.

It's probably a bit more complex of a phenomenon that occurs in particular situations that are not yet fully understood. It seems like this is always the case when things are controversial like this. 

Although it may vary somewhat from camera to camera. Possibly a subtle vectoral property is involved. Maybe the orientation of some of the parts that that transmit the light have to do with how the problem expresses itself. Maybe happenstance orientation of some of the camera parts interact to create the problem.

• Reply 67 of 118

Quote:

Originally Posted by 845032 View Post

Apple should not use their arrogant tactic, “You’re taking pictures wrong.”

'Sapphire glass' is problem.

Fu*k that's an ugly lamp!

• Reply 68 of 118

Quote:

Originally Posted by DESuserIGN View Post

I'm pretty sure JJ Abrams wasn't looking to get the kind of flare discussed here in every shot of his movie. But there's also this:

I'm sure they were not extensive, but "The Avengers" contained several shots that were taken with an iPhone. Not only that, they even are used in the trailer:

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2011/10/20/the-avengers-iphone/

I'm guessing 0:20, 0:47, and 1:24 might be iPhone shots (and yes there is some flare in some of these shots, but not overwhelming purple stuff.)

On a similar note there are some super cool things going on with inexpensive, but very hight quality cinema cameras that are pursuing different strategies to get to a similar goal. These are all under $3000 for the camera body (even less for the first one.)

Magic Lantern, open firmware for several Canon DSLRs (the most affordable, DIY, and frankly amazing):

http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/Magic_Lantern_Firmware_Wiki

KickStarter Digital Bolex (The coolest, and most spiritually satisfying, and available to original KickStarters soon):

http://www.digitalbolex.com/products/

Black Magic (the most professional, business like, and surpisingly affordable):

http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/blackmagiccinemacamera/

I'm aware of that. And I'm also aware that directors who shoot with anamorphic Panavisions know how it's going to look on film, warts and all. The irony is that when these lenses were first used, the excessive blue horizontal streaking from bright light sources was considered undesirable. Now they give "character" to the lenses and add to the aesthetics of the cinematography.

When you consider that people are practically destroying their digital pictures by running them through Instagram filters that add imperfections (such as yellowing and film grain) to achieve "character" and aesthetics to their pictures, I don't see why people are so bent out of shape over purple lens flare on the iPhone 5.

In my view, if they really want perfection, they should get a dedicated camera with a proper coated lens and lens hood.

• Reply 69 of 118
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    desuserign wrote: »
    I was not aware that you had any proof that 845032 is a shill paid by Samsung.
    I missed that when you posted your evidence of that.
    But it wouldn't surprise me if that was true, I did, after all, say he was a troll.

So, just to clarify, why didn't you tell me to rebut 845032's argument, but you did tell me for hill60's?
    (hill60's "argument" was about as cogent as <strong id="user_yui_3_5_1_1_1349644125345_1860" style="color:rgb(24,24,24);font-family:'lucida grande', verdana, helvetica, sans-serif;line-height:normal;">845032's)</strong>

So, just to clarify, why didn't you tell hill60 to rebut my argument instead of just calling me a liar? Just to clarify, why is that? Just to clarify?

If you read the solutions that Apple provided, as mentioned in the article, you would know it isn't an issue if you take a few simple steps, steps that are outlined in any camera manual or photography handbook.
  • Reply 70 of 118
    igrivigriv Posts: 1,177member

Quote:

Apple should not use their arrogant tactic, “You’re taking pictures wrong.”

'Sapphire glass' is problem.

------------------------------

We’ve just learned that the iPhone 5 camera may be faulty, showing a purple haze (yep, I said it) in certain lighting conditions. If you take a picture with the iPhone 5, and there’s a bright light that’s outside of the frame, you’ll see a purple tint come across the image.

This is possibly due to the Sapphire glass used in the camera’s lens.

http://techcrunch.com/2012/09/26/the-iphone-5s-camera-is-faulty-shows-a-purple-haze/

Nice photo...

• Reply 71 of 118
    Rotating the phone a few degrees will change the degree of the angle that the light from the light source hits the lens at dramatically. Displacing the phone by a few inches will not significantly change the angle unless the focal point and source of light are only a few inches away. This would be really easy to draw:

If you draw a triangle and place a pencil on one of the corners, perpendicular to the other two corners, then pick one corner to represent the light source you can see that the angle between the pencil length on the light source side and the line drawn between the "pencil corner" and the "light source corner" can be taken from 0 degrees to 180 by twisting the pencil. You could displace the pencil corner infinitely in either direction perpendicular to the opposite side and never have a 0 or 180 degree angle via that method.
  • Reply 72 of 118
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by DESuserIGN View Post

Quote:

Ok so I took another shot with the sun just out of frame still no purple. Maybe there are some iPhone 5 cameras that are defective.

I don't think so, but I appreciate the fact that you are experimenting. It's only by actual experimentation that it can be figured out. If I had an iPhone4s and 5 I would enjoy running systematic experiments to figure it out for myself.

It's probably a bit more complex of a phenomenon that occurs in particular situations that are not yet fully understood. It seems like this is always the case when things are controversial like this. 

Although it may vary somewhat from camera to camera. Possibly a subtle vectoral property is involved. Maybe the orientation of some of the parts that that transmit the light have to do with how the problem expresses itself. Maybe happenstance orientation of some of the camera parts interact to create the problem.

Perhaps the phenomenon always occurs except when the photo is taken on a Sunday between 4:00 PM and 5:00 PM at a latitude of 33.6167

• Reply 73 of 118
    845032845032 Posts: 76member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So, to clarify, you're defending the user who is a shill paid by Samsung to lie about Apple on Apple forums?

Defending. Just to clarify.

What ?

I suddenly become a paid shill by samsung ?

LMAO

I can not say anything against to apple because of this logic. LOL

• Reply 74 of 118

Quote:

Samsung has been working hard to copy the new purple haze for their new Galaxy S4

• Reply 75 of 118
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    cash907 wrote: »
    No, they're saying the lens of your 5 is shittier than that of the 4S, so watch where you point it.

LL

Sorry, but those photos are useless. Lens flare is extremely depending on geometry. Even a couple of degree change in the angle can make it go away.

Look at the mountain and the trees. They changed their location significantly between the two pictures. There was also a significant time lapse (look at the way the clouds have moved).

It looks to me like someone took a bunch of pictures trying to find one on the 5 which had flare and the 4 which didn't - and these were the best they could find.

If you want to show that one is better or worse than the other. Do it from the same location, same angle, and same time. Otherwise, it's pointless - like 98% of the iHater attacks here.
  • Reply 76 of 118

Just another example for discussion:  The picture on the left was taken with an iPhone 4S and on the right an iPhone 5.

P.S. for clarification these were taken from the same location and immediately after each other.  As far as angle goes I did my best.

• Reply 77 of 118
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

What ?

I suddenly become a paid shill by samsung ?

Certainly not!

You've always been one. Since your first post.

• Reply 78 of 118

Quote:

Originally Posted by donvreug View Post

Just another example for discussion:  The picture on the left was taken with an iPhone 4S and on the right an iPhone 5.

Whatever. Those are terrible photos which should be deleted within seconds of exposure. People taking shots indoors with mixed light have no case whatsoever. Either take shots in a studio and publish it with the full EXIF data or take shots outdoors and post some credentials that you have actual photographic training otherwise it is just so much trolling BS.

So far my iPhone 5 does not produce any unexpected purple even though I have tried to replicate the issue reported by others

• Reply 79 of 118

Wow, I was merely trying to demonstrate the difference between the two phones in conditions that would potentially show the problem.

Some of you people really need to think before you type.

• Reply 80 of 118

Quote:

Originally Posted by donvreug View Post

Wow, I was merely trying to demonstrate the difference between the two phones in conditions that would potentially show the problem.

Some of you people really need to think before you type.

Do you know anything about WB? You have sunlight leaking in from the blinds and compact fluorescent in the sconces. There is no digital camera on the planet that can deal with that. The fact that the 4s does not show as much purple as the 5 is irrelevant since the lighting is unprofessional.

Here is a very similar image I took one minute ago which does ironically have some daylight leakage as well and the iphone 5 is flawless.