Exclusive: 'iPad mini' part numbers reveal Apple plans 12 configurations in two colors

Comments

• Reply 21 of 106
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    what do you mean by 2 carriers?

GSM+UMTS+LTE(bands a, b, c, d, e)

Verizon(CDMA+CDMA2000)+GSM+UMTS+LTE (bands v, w, x, y, z)

That's what I mean by carrier types, just like with the iPhone 5, sans Sprint, if we're only talking to cellular SKU categories.
  • Reply 22 of 106
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    simtub wrote: »
    Does anyone know how to work out that IF this iPad was really released, and at the current rumored screen size with a Retina display the same resolution as the 9.7" iPad. Then what would the pixel density (PPI) be?

I sure hope it's not a 1024 x 786. Most smartphones are higher res than this now.

There's little reason to doubt that the 'iPad Mini' will be 1024x768, which is quite sufficient for its given screen dimensions... Too many have become far too hung up on this ever-increasing pixel-density nonsense.

The thing I'm interested in seeing is how they'll handle the fact that a smaller device running exactly the same version of iOS is going to make every 'touch element' e.g. button, selection box, etc. much smaller, which stands in opposition to those who've long claimed that every aspect of iOS has been so perfectly sized/designed for the given device and any kind of scaling is completely unacceptable.

We'll See...
  • Reply 23 of 106
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member

The Pxxx probably doesn't mean size.  Why would you have 3 8GB SKUs?  Do you really think they are going to have 8GB WiFI, LTE/GSM, LTE/CDMA models?  Maybe.

Looking at the iPad the model numbers are

MD366LL/A = 16GB Black

MD367LL/A = 32GB Black

MD368LL/A = 64GB Black

So for the P101 the three models might be:

MD510X/A = 8GB

MD511X/A = 16GB

MD512X/A = 32GB

For the radio options there is Wifi, CDMA/LTE and GSM/LTE.  On the iPad these were A1416, A1430 and A1403.

P101 and P103 have GOOD BTR, BETTER BTR, BEST BTR

P105 and P107 have GOOD, BETTER, BEST

Interesting.

• Reply 24 of 106
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    daharder wrote: »
    There's little reason to doubt that the 'iPad Mini' will be 1024x768, which is quite sufficient for its given screen dimensions... Too many have become far too hung up on this ever-increasing pixel-density nonsense.

It's must be a cold day in hell because I'm agreeing with you.
    The thing I'm interested in seeing is how they'll handle the fact that a smaller device running exactly the same version of iOS is going to make every 'touch element' e.g. button, selection box, etc. much smaller, which stands in opposition to those who've long claimed that every aspect of iOS has been so perfectly sized/designed for the given device and any kind of scaling is completely unacceptable.
    We'll See...

Not an issue if you look at the dimensions of elements between the iPad and iPhone UIs. The 7.85" rumour, whether it's real or not, is devised because it fits so well into Apple's wheelhouse in every way. Now they will idealize the UI for the new device and will update Xcode accordingly but it won't be a huge deal for apps that aren't yet updated. Look at the iPhone 4 over the 3GS as an example. They idealized that UI even though the dimensions stayed exactly the same. They even changed the system font to better showcase the text on the Retina display. This is how Apple historically works and I doubt they'll be changing their stripes now.
  • Reply 25 of 106
    @daharder Why would Apple not release an 8GB capacity? No consumer is forced to buy that if it doesn't suit their needs. It's smart because as you said they can reach a particular market or a consumer that has few needs for large amount of space.
  • Reply 26 of 106

Quote:

Originally Posted by gordy View Post

Why not colors like with the iPods? I'd be moved to buy one if it had color options, but as is I'll stick with my iPad 2.

This is still a rumor, right? I forget as I scan through the headlines here. image

Mmmm...colors sound good...but have there been less than 5?  I suppose the minimal is black, white and product red.

• Reply 27 of 106
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member

'two colors' ppfffttt!  Black and White...  Two colors my a....

/

/

• Reply 28 of 106

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

You'll have to give me some more shit then because I think 8GB is a big FAIL. It does not take long at all to fill Up 8GB. Should be 16, 32, 64 in black and white and then 3G or LTE options.

You really are a glass half empty kinda person aren't you?  Don't like it, don't buy it.  There are plenty of folks that for some reason never fill up their iOS devices and for them 8GB is fine.

• Reply 29 of 106
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

We'll See...

its still going to be bigger than on my iphone 4s and I can tap those icons and buttons at that size.  Not a problem imo, they dont even need to scale anything up.

• Reply 29 of 106

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

It's must be a cold day in hell because I'm agreeing with you.

A retina iPad Mini would sell well and has the same advantages as a retina iPhone.  It's probably more important given that the iPad Mini is larger and you're more likely to read or watch movies on it than the iPhone.

Plus Infinity Blade 2 will look damn pretty on it.  

I'd pay extra for retina but I can see why a bunch of folks wouldn't since the 1024x768 resolution is still better on the Mini than on the iPad 2 which is already pretty nice.

• Reply 31 of 106
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Apple really should avoid releasing an 8gb model just to reach a lower price-point (unless it's solely for the EDU market) as such a paltry capacity on an iOS device leaves very little room for anything.

I echo Solip - it must indeed be a cold day in hell because I completely agree with DH. 8gb is purely for the price point. I expect Apple will release very few 8gb units. Even educational institutions will fork out the extra cash to safeguard their investment against instant obsolescence.

• Reply 32 of 106
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

It's all good.

Just as an aside comment ... Black and white are not 'colors'. /pedantic

You sure about that? 

http://www.colormatters.com/color-and-design/are-black-and-white-colors

• Reply 33 of 106
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

I wonder if the Macs will be the focus of the event, and then the iPad Mini will be "one more thing?"

• Reply 34 of 106
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member

This's just too much. Just 16 GB. Wi-Fi models in White and Black will do. Other than this you already have regular iPad to choose for.

• Reply 35 of 106
    How about:

P codes are- WiFi only, AT&T, Verizon, Sprint
    good, better, best are storage (16, 32, 64?)

can't think what the "btr" is after the P101 and P103 codes

This is then different than the SKU codes listed from the German site, but European models might only have WiFi and standard UMTS 3G radios.

Why European models would have 4 storage options and U.S. models only 3 I can't guess.
  • Reply 36 of 106

So much speculation with no official announcement. What will Apple stock do if nothing happens?

• Reply 37 of 106
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

You'll have to give me some more shit then because I think 8GB is a big FAIL. It does not take long at all to fill Up 8GB. Should be 16, 32, 64 in black and white and then 3G or LTE options.

I think you are wrong here.  It's a FAIL only to people like us who follow tech news and use the devices a lot.  

For a data point: My last two iPads were 32GB but in fact 20GB of that is just media from a single application that I only access once a month or so. All the rest of my stuff would actually just fit on an 8GB iPad.  The thing is too, that my primary use of the iPad is for writing and I keep a copy of almost every (serious) thing I've ever written on it as well as lots and lots of research material in the form of books and PDF's.  All of that still fits in 8GB.  

The larger size iPads are mostly for media and games, for someone actually using the device as a computer (laptop-like uses) there isn't a need for a great amount of space.  

The other thing you aren't considering is schools.  They've already said that the event will focus on kids, books, and education.  The $250 iPad mini is perfect for that use.  

The current cost on the bulk-buy program for iPads in Education is roughly $400 a seat/unit.  This will turn it into more like $200 a unit.

That's why they are making more of the 8GB ones than any other model and that's why it will be a roaring success.  Because schools all over the world are waiting to click the "buy" button on tens of thousands of iPads to be used as textbooks in schools.  Because the entire iPad including the cost of the digital texts just got down into the same pricing territory as the cloth and paper textbooks they are currently using.  

• Reply 38 of 106
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Good = WiFi

Better = 3G/LTE

Best = 3G/LTE/Retina

Why they would make a 8GB with retina I don't know.

All I do know is I want 64GB LTE Retina Black

• Reply 39 of 106
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I wonder if the Macs will be the focus of the event, and then the iPad Mini will be "one more thing?"

You mean the event that was supposed to happen this week with invites that were supposed to go out last week?

Or the unannounced event next week with the invites that haven't gone out this week?

Quote:

Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

This's just too much. Just 16 GB. Wi-Fi models in White and Black will do. Other than this you already have regular iPad to choose for.

I agree- that's all there needs to be- a 32gb would be good too just for some diversity.  But I still don't think any of it is happening this year.  Still not a shred of evidence (by evidence- see actual iPhone 5 parts weeks and weeks before it was announced- not just code, prototypes not made by apple, and a debunked ribbon).

• Reply 40 of 106

Originally Posted by philipm View Post

So much speculation with no official announcement. What will Apple stock do if nothing happens?

Go back up like normal.