Microsoft Surface tablet with Windows RT to start at $499

Comments

• Reply 21 of 155
    This thing looks interesting that add was ok Altho, does anyone remember that the ipad 2 had an add with the smart cover were the clicking sound was used to enhance the music. I personaly found those adds more tastfull this is kinda glee meets ipad commercial. I just dont know if i see people buying this thing over an ipad. Its just kinda blah at this point. Its main features are things the tablet was supposed to free us from. And the magnetic smart cover is a blatent ril off. Minus the meyboard part, wich i see we are all waiting for the verdict on. With no tactile feedback tho and not even a click or a fade, ike we get on an ipad screen when we tap a button it remaines to be seen weAther it will be of any use. I would also like to know if anyone has problems with typing on there ipad. I dont ? I am also good with touch screens. How is it for everyone els ?
  • Reply 22 of 155

What is the big deal about the Surface keyboard cover?  Logitec has been making one for the iPad for some time already.  

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/tablet-accessories/keyboard-cases/ultrathin-keyboard-cover

• Reply 23 of 155

Quote:

Originally Posted by OriginalG View Post

IMO, it's because the marketing around the Surface makes the cover a big selling point. The ads focus on the cover a lot, so it builds the expectation that it is part of the device. Then you see a starting price of $499, (possibly) get excited, then see the 'real' starting price for what you were shown is actually $599. There's a disconnect there that TechCrunch is pointing out

It's attacking the iPad "it's only a consumption device"

Personally, if the SW is GREAT, the iPad will not be eroded as much as netbook sales.  And at this point, for M$ to stay shareholder viable, gaining $100+ revenue per Windows seat sold is more important than staunching iOS.   M$ used to print money...  and they will face the wrath if Android/ARM tablets become the OEM's tool of choice over Intel based netbooks.

Gross Margins last quarter

Apple:  33% (FY 2011 31%)

MS:     1% (FY 2011 29%)

• Reply 24 of 155
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    t*rdface - choice of color -> brown
    pained expression on face taking a dump
  • Reply 25 of 155

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macsavy View Post

This thing looks interesting that add was ok Altho, does anyone remember that the ipad 2 had an add with the smart cover were the clicking sound was used to enhance the music. I personaly found those adds more tastfull this is kinda glee meets ipad commercial. I just dont know if i see people buying this thing over an ipad. Its just kinda blah at this point. Its main features are things the tablet was supposed to free us from. And the magnetic smart cover is a blatent ril off. Minus the meyboard part, wich i see we are all waiting for the verdict on. With no tactile feedback tho and not even a click or a fade, ike we get on an ipad screen when we tap a button it remaines to be seen weAther it will be of any use. I would also like to know if anyone has problems with typing on there ipad. I dont ? I am also good with touch screens. How is it for everyone els ?

OmgI'mjustgoingtostarttypingandramblingonwhatsonmyheadinincompletesentenceswithgrammarandsppelllingerrsthennotcorrectitandhopefullysomeonewillreadmypostandtrytomakeoutwhatisaidandrespondtoit.

• Reply 26 of 155
    dr_lhadr_lha Posts: 236member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Right_said_fred View Post

So I buy an expensive package on my Windows 8 surface, but at work I would like to use same software on more powerful desktop - do I have yo buy it twice?

Don't see how this is different from Apple. If you buy Pages for the iPhone, you don't get a free copy of pages for your iMac do you? 

• Reply 27 of 155
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

Quote:

Originally Posted by LXK400 View Post

What is the big deal about the Surface keyboard cover?  Logitec has been making one for the iPad for some time already.  

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/tablet-accessories/keyboard-cases/ultrathin-keyboard-cover

The logitech cover almost doubles the width of the iPad (The cover is 250% thicker than the surface cover), it requires a battery, is heavy (takes the weight of iPad from 1.4 to 2.2 lbs), and uses bluetooth.

The Surface one is super thin, light and integrated.

Why all the hate?  It's not the same as a third party Apple one- not even close.  Let people get some hands on reviews- it might suck horribly- then we can dogpile.  But let's tap the breaks on "The iPad has the same thing" bus... 

• Reply 28 of 155

This thing is so DOA, it isn't even funny anymore (or as funny as it was a few months ago.)

• Reply 29 of 155

If this thing works, I hope it will push Apple to innovate again. File folder and USB port (s) are going to be the deal breakers.

• Reply 30 of 155

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

It seems to be all rubber coated. Maybe you can put it in the dish washer. That at least would be interesting.

Use the "Pot Scrubber" mode... heck, you might as well toss the whole shebang in there... nothing to lose.

• Reply 31 of 155

Quote:

Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

I just don't see this taking off. There is an MS store in Atlanta so I may check it out.  This just feels like MS is coming into a football game when the score is 70-0 and all they have is a field goal kicker. The best tablet out there behind the iPad is the Asus T700 and even that is a very distant second.

With the recent iPhone release, a new iPad mini and a possible 13" Macbook Pro with retina display this month the Surface launch is going to have a hard time getting press.  

I was just going to say that.  Microsoft is figuratively skating to where the puck has been, not to where it will be.  Apple is about to kick it in another gear with the release of the Mini.  I say it will take all of the oxygen out of Microsoft's fire (well, except for the typical Microsoft fans who are just as rabid as us fanboys.)

• Reply 32 of 155
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member

Apple invites for the 23rd event are out!!

• Reply 33 of 155

How to make a tablet, Microsoft style:

1. Detach keyboard/trackpad from a laptop, make it a "premium" add-on

2. Hide Windows desktop behind "Metro" Start page

3. Now tell everyone it's a tablet

Ballmer is a visionary!

• Reply 34 of 155

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

This thing is so DOA, it isn't even funny anymore (or as funny as it was a few months ago.)

I agree 100%.  The interface is absolutely horrid and unusable and has failed on the Zune and Windows Phone already.  How much more money are Microsoft's shareholders going to let Ballmer piss away on yet another failure.

• Reply 35 of 155

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Why all the hate?  It's not the same as a third party Apple one- not even close.  Let people get some hands on reviews- it might suck horribly- then we can dogpile.  But let's tap the breaks on "The iPad has the same thing" bus... 

Why all the faith?

• Reply 36 of 155

Quote:

Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Overlooking the hyperbole and what will likely prove to have been misleading remarks (e.g., "Full Microsoft Office"), let's go straight to the cold hard reality that this thing is probably DOA, just like WinPhone 8 is going to be DOA. The HW & SW quality is likely going to be crap. (No hands on demos to date, and they are releasing this when?) The keyboard (Again, no hands on demos to date) is probably going to suck too. But, beyond that, there isn't going to be much in the way of quality software available, with only a couple of thousand apps that Microsoft had to pay developers to write (or port) and aren't likely to get supported past their initial releases. The overall user experience will suck as well, because Microsoft's user experience always sucks. And, lastly, Microsoft ran out of mindshare at least 5 years ago, and no one really cares that it's from Microsoft. If anything, that's one or two strikes against it.

You might ultimately be correct, but you and none of us have any idea about it's software or hardware or its quality because, as you said, "no hands on demos to date". After that, nothing you say has any evidence backing it up.

This is different from the original iPad, which I bought sight-unseen based on SJ's demo of it, the hype on TV shows (such as Modern Family), and the real fact that the iPhone and iPodTouch had been out with proven quality, and the iPad was going to be at least the quality of a big iPhone/iPodTouch. MS has none of this going for it in pushing the Surface and a history of failed deliverables. The absence of evidence in favor of the Surface along with a history of failure by MS does not bode well for this product; I can't condemn it yet, but given MS's prior history and the lack of substantive information so close to release, I give its probability of success at a generous 10%. 

• Reply 37 of 155
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    bullhead wrote: »
     The interface is absolutely horrid and unusable and has failed on the Zune and Windows Phone already.

I gotta tell you, I just downloaded the latest MSN app update and they've adopted the whole Windows 8 colored blocks scheme ... It's an absolute bloody nightmare. Seriously it's distracting to the point where I don't know what I'm reading, or where to look. Apple has made some UI changes that I haven't appreciated, but I gotta hand it to Em, they KNOW how to design a useable UI.

Who wants to take bets MS will change this whole colored blocks thing within a year of launch? And it will look like OS X?
  • Reply 38 of 155

Quote:

Originally Posted by dr_lha View Post

Don't see how this is different from Apple. If you buy Pages for the iPhone, you don't get a free copy of pages for your iMac do you? 

iOS and OSX share some similarities under the hood but are visually distinct (Launchpad excepted, but that isn't the default view) and run on very distinct hardware - iPhone / iPad vs Macbook / iMac - so there is much less of an immediate assumption that an app from one should work on the other.

From what I've seen of Surface (and let's face it - nobody has really seen that much in any detail) the Windows RT and Windows 8 versions have almost identical looking hardware running identical looking (but incompatible!) operating systems, both marketed as a single "Surface" brand.... I can see that bringing a whole heap of confusion and complaints when an app bought for one Surface fails to run on the other seemingly identical Surface because 2 letters stamped in small print on the back are different...

• Reply 39 of 155
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Surface 32GB - 499 USD
    Full Microsoft Office, USB ports, microsd card support, uHDMI for video out, file browser, flash support, mouse support, double the capacity of the same price iPad. Heck adding a 32GB microsd card for less than 30 USD and you get a 64GB device for less than 600 USD.

oh..and there are way cheaper Windows 8 options than Surface. The Iconia W510 with ATOM is the same price as the 32GB Surface with all the feature set and the 16GB iPad .
    Yes, but if this is the low-end consumer model, how much will the entry level pro model be that will run a full version of Windows 8?

This seems more like a netbook to me. I mean, MS has no apps, and will probably be a good two years before they have any kind of Eco-system to compete with Apple or Android (once developers know this thing isn't going to fail). So the only people truly interested in this thing are going to be those who are looking for a laptop replacement in order to use Office, with an optional keyboard and mouse (a mouse which btw will have to be carried around separately). But netbooks can be had for so much less. MS knows their base so well.
  • Reply 40 of 155
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    mac_128 wrote: »
    Who wants to take bets MS will change this whole colored blocks thing within a year of launch? And it will look like OS X?

Nobody. They didn't change the color scheme of windows XP or Vista, why should they follow what Apple does when a lot of people are going to buy this anyway. Only a fraction of people buy Mac don't forget.