Apple to show 'a little more' at Oct. 23 'iPad mini' event

Comments

• Reply 21 of 230
    Is anyone else surprised by the lack of secrecy? I am looking forward to an ipad Mini i will admit so my daughter will stopping hogging my new ipad lol. The colors would be fun too like the ipod.
  • Reply 22 of 230
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacVicta View Post

An iPad mini starting out with a measley 8gb and an old, non-Retina screen all in the name of cost saving? Never would've happened under Steve. This is the beginning of our trip to Scullyville with Tim Cook as the bus driver.

Assuming you're actually believing yourself, Apple's "low-end" products are still better than what the competition offers at the exact same price point.

• Reply 23 of 230
    $250 isn't bad at all. If I didn't already have a Fire, this would be a no brainer. They ought to sell a ton of these things.
  • Reply 24 of 230
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

Quote:

An iPad mini starting out with a measley 8gb and an old, non-Retina screen all in the name of cost saving? Never would've happened under Steve. This is the beginning of our trip to Scullyville with Tim Cook as the bus driver.

total BS, nobody knows what would had happen under Steve...   Apple had is shared of problems under steve too

• Reply 25 of 230
    adamcadamc Posts: 583member
    macvicta wrote: »

The 8gb iPad mini is truly great for those just want to consume and not create or store media in the iPad.

At that size it doesn't need retina display unless you need to look at the fine pubic hairs.

Just the gift for family members who love to surf the net, answers mails and each videos.
  • Reply 26 of 230
    I would have sent out invitations titled "And one more thing..."
  • Reply 27 of 230
    With all the colors, I am wondering if its just the smaller 13 inch retina display macbook. If its the iPad mini too, all the better.
  • Reply 28 of 230
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    What about textbooks?

What about them? You're not going to read a textbook on a small screen, no matter what the Rez.
  • Reply 29 of 230

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

If this is what we all think it is, we can basically call all of the Android tablets DOA now... I mean, more DOA than they already were.

If $250 for the entry level model is right, it's going to cause some problems for the Kindle Fire HD.

I'll be interested to see the specs.  I'm hoping it will be significantly lighter than the current iPad.  I find the iPad 3 a pain to read with for any length of time, and am hoping the iPad Mini will be lighter enough to solve that problem.  Failing that, I'm going to get a regular Kindle again.

• Reply 30 of 230
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    xxsamplexx wrote: »
    $250 isn't bad at all. If I didn't already have a Fire, this would be a no brainer. They ought to sell a ton of these things.

Of course, we know nothing yet, including any pricing.
  • Reply 31 of 230
    Like I said, I'm hoping for the first pink unipony.
  • Reply 32 of 230
    tjwaltjwal Posts: 404member

Quote:

I'm still sceptical about the 8 gb model.  All that will do will create a lot of unhappy customers.  That is never a good thing,especially so if this is their first Apple product. 

• Reply 33 of 230
    If the mini comes in an array of colors like the ipodtouch all hell is going to break loose!!
    Sadly my pops passed but left me $11,600. RIP dad! Mini here I come!
  • Reply 34 of 230
    tjwaltjwal Posts: 404member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamC View Post

The 8gb iPad mini is truly great for those just want to consume and not create or store media in the iPad.

At that size it doesn't need retina display unless you need to look at the fine pubic hairs.

Just the gift for family members who love to surf the net, answers mails and each videos.

But what about Apple's ecosystem of apps? An 8gb device does not play to Apple's strength. 

• Reply 35 of 230
    macvicta wrote: »

Wow. So you're going to let Tim Cook's selection of John Browett as Retail VP slide?
  • Reply 36 of 230
    melgross wrote: »
    Of course, we know nothing yet, including any pricing.

When has a little thing like "lack of solid facts" stopped these forums? We'll just make up our own numbers.
  • Reply 37 of 230

250 is a great price point.  If they want to promote the device for iBooks then they may possibly offer an iTunes gift card just to get people rolling...  so 250 plus a $25 iBook card...  Also, why all the colors on the invitation???  would they dare offer this gem in different colors..??  Prolly out of the question, but that invitation has me wondering...  this thing is going to sell like hotcakes... 

• Reply 38 of 230

Quote:

Originally Posted by maccherry View Post

If the mini comes in an array of colors like the ipodtouch all hell is going to break loose!!

Sadly my pops passed but left me $11,600. RIP dad! Mini here I come!

Sorry for your loss :/

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjwal View Post

But what about Apple's ecosystem of apps? An 8gb device does not play to Apple's strength. 

I agree that 8gb is too small even if you don't plan to store any videos or pictures.  Apps alone will eat it up.  And lets not forget the firmware is going to take up a gig or two.  However, It looks like Apple might sell an 8gb version just to meet a certain price point.  The customer experience will not be up to standards though.

• Reply 39 of 230

OK!   It's game on!

Or, at least it could be!  I wonder if Apple has the brassies and the manufacturing capacity to redefine the entire tablet marketplace... for the next 2-3 years...

Remember the runup to the original iPad announcement... lo, those many years ago before January 27, 2010?

Return with me now, to those thrilling days of yesteryear....

Much of the speculation was comparing the rumored "Apple Tablet" to the Windows offerings and the reworked Mac laptops...

The consensus was, that for Apple to be competitive in the tablet market -- its offering would need to be priced under $1,100 -- bolder wags were looking for a price of $1,000!

Steve Jobs...  And the price is $499.     Boom!

• Reply 40 of 230

This is probably wrong but there are 7 colors bands on the invitation if you count the one running down the middle.  Signifying the 7" device? (rounding down ;) )