Samsung Galaxy S III topped Apple's iPhone 4S in Q3 2012 sales

Comments

• Reply 21 of 84

Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

I disagree. Apple should not release flagship phones more than once a year. They also shouldn't release crap phones just for market share either. There's always going to be a drop off during a product transition. You can't avoid it.

Well, since I'm not talking about introducing more than one flagship model a year nor releasing crap phones, nor just trying to increase market share for market share's sake... then I guess your argument has nothing to do with what I speak.

Apple is in the business of selling phones. I'm sure there are a few ways of selling more phones but still keeping decent margins. That's why there is all that high priced help at Apple... to figure out things like this.

As a shareholder I don't like seeing such a drastic drop every 4th fiscal quarter.

• Reply 22 of 84
    solipsismx wrote: »

I noticed that as well. You might have to add about 3 or 4 million of the iPhone 4... but still.

IMHO.... Apple has to change something so there isn't so much of a drop off in the 4th fiscal quarter.

No way. This measure means nothing. I certainly don't want Apple to hold off for a few days before releasing the next iPhone so that they can close out a quarter to beat Samsung or be even more secretive about the next launch by giving the announcement and sales date even more lead time in an attempt to get customers to buy more of the old model.

We may be entering a new era where Apple products are released when the technology is available in quantity to manufacture them... The iPad 4 may be an example of this.

Phones are different (because of the carrier subsidy) but even that may be changing.
  • Reply 23 of 84
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

Yes, but give that Apple's iPhones are all, at the end of the day, iPhones, how does the SIII do against iPhones? And let's see how it does against iPhone 5 this quarter.

• Reply 24 of 84
    Samsung sells this many phones and how long did they wait for Jelly Bean? And how many are still waiting?

If the #1 selling Android phone in history (#1 by a long shot) takes this long to get an update what does that tell you about their priorities? What about people who bought a phone that only sold a couple million? Will they be forgotten?
  • Reply 25 of 84
    In other news:

McDonald's announced a new happy meal… Order anything you want, and the guy in line behind you pays for it.

India announced a new Hindu dating service… Called connect the dots.
  • Reply 26 of 84

Quote:

Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

imo Apple need to make 2 iphone models next year.  Keep the iphone 5 with a refresh and introduce a bigger phone.  But instead of a pen, Apple should sell with a small and discreet bluetooth ear piece, something like spy's would used. 

They have multiple ipods size, 2 ipad sizes, why not 2 iphone sizes? The phablet is a growing market because people make less voice calls and more texting/apps/social/web on there device.  Apple needs to adapt, find what that product category really needs and innovate it. I am sure Apple can do better than a pen.

IMO, Apple should have made the iPad mini with a Phablet option (one more thing) and have it come out with a cool Bluetooth earpiece.  This would mean the iPad mini has a wifi, wifi + 4G data, and wifi + 4G data + voice.  Doing this would have better justified the iPad mini space better and would have been an easy way to test the Phablet market.  Everyone that loves the Phablet thinks that they can all still be bigger.  Once you are reserved to using a Bluetooth head set or a headphone, it just doesn't matter how big you get.  Add contract pricing and this would fit well in Apple's pricing strategy, as well.

• Reply 27 of 84
    So Samsung stocking carriers' and stores' inventories gives them a lead over actual end-user deliveries? Hardly. Comparing Apples and Oranges (so to speak).
  • Reply 28 of 84

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

We may be entering a new era where Apple products are released when the technology is available in quantity to manufacture them... The iPad 4 may be an example of this.

Phones are different (because of the carrier subsidy) but even that may be changing.

I was thinking the same thing. Tim Cook might have a different idea about how products will be released in the future.

I have a feeling he is also concerned about numbers.

• Reply 29 of 84
    solipsismx wrote: »
    This device has a very impressive sales[/shipment rate.
    • May 29 — sold to 28 countries
    • June 20 — released in N. America
    • July 22 — 10 millionth unit sold/shipped
    • Sept 6 — 20 millionth unit sold/shipped
    • Nov 3 — 30 millionth unit sold/shipped
    Regardless of if you like this device, Android or Samsung these are impressive numbers. Even if you think they are all "fake" numbers because they are not reports from quarterly earnings on sales in the same way Apple releases numbers they have still sold nearly that many as it does not behoove Samsung to keep producing a product they can't move. Bottom line this device is a huge success.
    That said, it's only bested the iPhone 4S at the every end of its cycle, and just barely, but no other no competitor's phone has come close to the iPhone in years so it's something to be commended.

No one is saying the numbers are 'fake.' Just that, shipments do not equal sales.

It is a tad surprising that a company that produces such a successful product in such large numbers does not feel compelled -- and is not compelled, by analysts -- to report actual segment data that shows quantities sold and operating profit.

Also, I am guessing that most of these numbers (note they are 'global') are from India and China, where the iPhone is still only marginally available (in China, Apple is not available in the largest carrier yet).

Finally, as we all know, market share does not equal profits.
  • Reply 30 of 84
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member

Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Well, since I'm not talking about introducing more than one flagship model a year nor releasing crap phones, nor just trying to increase market share for market share's sake... then I guess your argument has nothing to do with what I speak.

Apple is in the business of selling phones. I'm sure there are a few ways of selling more phones but still keeping decent margins. That's why there is all that high priced help at Apple... to figure out things like this.

As a shareholder I don't like seeing such a drastic drop every 4th fiscal quarter.

here's the thing, you can't avoid it. people will be expecting a new phone every 4th quarter so they'll wait for the next version. They are selling almost every phone they make. And the drastic drop in the 4th quarters happen to be record quarters anyways. If you are scared of record fourth quarters because of a small drop in sales of a year old phone, then sell. Me, i'll ride out the fourth quarter because the holiday quarter will more than make up for any shortfall.

• Reply 31 of 84

Quote:

here's the thing, you can't avoid it. people will be expecting a new phone every 4th quarter so they'll wait for the next version. They are selling almost every phone they make. And the drastic drop in the 4th quarters happen to be record quarters anyways. If you are scared of record fourth quarters because of a small drop in sales of a year old phone, then sell. Me, i'll ride out the fourth quarter because the holiday quarter will more than make up for any shortfall.

So you are saying that companies should do nothing to prop up sales and should just let things slide because things will get better soon. Great business strategy.

... and, yes, you can mitigate such a drastic drop in sales. I'm not talking about steady sales after the holiday quarter, I'm talking about another 4 or 5 million. Keep it above 30 million at least.

I can almost guarantee you that Tim Cook is going to change things.

• Reply 32 of 84
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member

The real numbers (covers 2nd and 3rd quarter)....

Apple           35.6 million   4S

Samsung      23.4 million  SIII

Now...what about 4th quarter numbers??  Will anyone brag then?

Kind of like a NASCAR driver bragging about moving into the lead just because the previous leader made a pit stop.

On a side note...say my FIRST SIII in the wild yesterday.  Hard to see anyway as everyone else seems to have an iPhone around here.

• Reply 33 of 84

I was thinking the same thing. Tim Cook might have a different idea about how products will be released in the future.

I have a feeling he is also concerned about numbers.

Exactly!

And one of the biggest barriers to making the "numbers" is the PITA that is the buying, upgrading, activating, billing, data plan, overage experience because of the carriers -- each activity with a never-ending stream of extra charges and fees...

Apple needs to change that!
  • Reply 34 of 84

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Exactly!

And one of the biggest barriers to making the "numbers" is the PITA that is the buying, upgrading, activating, billing, data plan, overage experience because of the carriers -- each activity with a never-ending stream of extra charges and fees...

Apple needs to change that!

Vendors in Canada usually don't display iPhones, maybe a bit of signage and that's it. Too many spiffs for selling android phones. If Apple found a way to change that (selling an iPhone rather than punishing people by pushing android phones down their throat) then I'm thinking 2 or 3 million phones could be added right there (I'm not just talking Canada with that number).

• Reply 35 of 84

Quote:

That's great for Sammy. Can't wait for their press release stating how many phones they sold and not shipped. oh what? Sammy doesn't report those numbers? Well I guess I can make them up. oh what? that's an analyst's job?

You are so right.  The key to be a successful company is to keep producing phones that you can not sell /s

• Reply 36 of 84

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

No one is saying the numbers are 'fake.' Just that, shipments do not equal sales.

It is a tad surprising that a company that produces such a successful product in such large numbers does not feel compelled -- and is not compelled, by analysts -- to report actual segment data that shows quantities sold and operating profit.

Also, I am guessing that most of these numbers (note they are 'global') are from India and China, where the iPhone is still only marginally available (in China, Apple is not available in the largest carrier yet).

Finally, as we all know, market share does not equal profits.

So in your mind Samsung is simply producing phones and stock piling them?  Really?  That there is NO WAY they can be actually selling this many phones?  That they have a magic warehouse somewhere they ship the phones too. I love ignorance.

You are right though, Market share does not equal profits......Yet.

• Reply 37 of 84

Quote:

Originally Posted by icoco3 View Post

The real numbers (covers 2nd and 3rd quarter)....

Apple           35.6 million   4S

Samsung      23.4 million  SIII

Now...what about 4th quarter numbers??  Will anyone brag then?

Kind of like a NASCAR driver bragging about moving into the lead just because the previous leader made a pit stop.

On a side note...say my FIRST SIII in the wild yesterday.  Hard to see anyway as everyone else seems to have an iPhone around here.

SIII went on sale in late May/early June. It wasn't available in the US until July.

• Reply 38 of 84
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member

Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

So you are saying that companies should do nothing to prop up sales and should just let things slide because things will get better soon. Great business strategy.

... and, yes, you can mitigate such a drastic drop in sales. I'm not talking about steady sales after the holiday quarter, I'm talking about another 4 or 5 million. Keep it above 30 million at least.

I can almost guarantee you that Tim Cook is going to change things.

And how would you prop up sales and still maintain margins? Some people expect a new iphone every 4th qtr. They aren't going to buy the current one if they believe a new one is coming out within weeks no matter how much incentives you add. Tim Cook knows what he's doing. Apple has been doing it the last 5 years.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post

You are so right.  The key to be a successful company is to keep producing phones that you can not sell /s

that's not what i'm saying. I'm saying if you sell 30MM phones in a qtr, you should announce it. The fact that Sammy isn't says something.

• Reply 39 of 84
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,616member
    Without actual published sales figures you can take this 'clickbait' article and wipe your arse with it.
  • Reply 40 of 84

Quote:

that's not what i'm saying. I'm saying if you sell 30MM phones in a qtr, you should announce it. The fact that Sammy isn't says something.

http://global.samsungtomorrow.com/?p=20102

This doesn't count?