New Google Maps for iOS brings vectors, transit and navigation features

Comments

• Reply 61 of 154

Quote:

Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Hopefully that'll shut up all the Fandroids masquerating as disgruntled iPhone users (but I doubt it).

Yeap, all true iPhone users are happily singing Kumbaya together! There was never and there will never be a single disgruntled iPhone user!

• Reply 62 of 154
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Seems like a giant FAIL to me so far.  I won't be using it much. 

in my area:

- no streetview

- no 3D of any kind (no topology, no flyover)

- transit directions spotty and only avail for downtown routes only

- no transit maps (transit is in list view only)

- no bike routes

- advertisements galore

- deceptive tracking practices (!)

- nagware

I am a bit surprised really, but for me, and in my area (west coast of Canada) this has less features and is less appealing that Apple maps (which admittedly suck but not as hard as this).  It's also a big step backwards from the "old" Google maps (which were actually Apple maps).  

I hate Google and purposely try to avoid their products as I try not to do business with blatantly immoral companies like them, but if the maps product were significantly better than Apple maps I might have used it just for practical reasons.  Lucky for me they dropped the ball so I don't have the moral dilemma now.  image

• Reply 63 of 154
    Thank you, Google, for going out of your way to fix this nonsense. You're really showing who the uncooperative party is here. I can finally upgrade to iOS 6, but do I want to do so and lose composite AV mirroring from the jailbreak?
  • Reply 64 of 154

>>>Seems like a giant FAIL to me so far.  I won't be using it much. 

>>>in my area:

You need maps to get around "your area"?

• Reply 65 of 154

Why did Google wait until Apple released their own maps to create this also for iOS?

They could have done it all along, and would have been standard maps of iPhone as of now.

Seems good, but I don't want to have too much "google" on my phone. I'd like to spread the amount of info about myself that the various companies have.... :-) 

• Reply 66 of 154

Originally Posted by pinolo View Post

Why did Google wait until Apple released their own maps to create this also for iOS?

They could have done it all along, and would have been standard maps of iPhone as of now.

What reason would they have possibly had to do this? You do realize what's behind the old Maps app, right? And how Apple paid Google for having it (and per hit? I can't remember).

• Reply 67 of 154
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hummerp View Post

Public Transit does not work in the Washington DC area....guess I'll have to wait to check out that feature.

its not available on the Web browser version either...nor do many other cities.

• Reply 68 of 154
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

Quote:

Originally Posted by NelsonX View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Hopefully that'll shut up all the Fandroids masquerating as disgruntled iPhone users (but I doubt it).

Yeap, all true iPhone users are happily singing Kumbaya together! There was never and there will never be a single disgruntled iPhone user!

Comprehension fail, much?

• Reply 69 of 154

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBell View Post

Have you tried them all? For instance, did you sell out the $40 dollars for an App like Navigon or Garmin? Just curious. 

I am talking about best free map ever, of course you can't compare a $40 or $50 dollars app with a free one.

• Reply 70 of 154

One thing that seems to be missing: search via voice like you can on the Chrome app and on the Google Search app.

• Reply 71 of 154

Quote:

Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

I suspect that one thing Apple will really catch hell on regarding various comparisons between the Apple and Google version of these two apps is the fact that Google doesn't appear to need a dual-core processor phone just to run a GPS app. The Google version gives turn by turn directions on both the iPhone 4 and iPhone 3GS.

That right there is a good enough reason for my wife to download it. It is ridiculous that Apple claims her iPhone 4 isn't capable of this.

Sorry but Apple isn't claiming that the iP4 can't do turn by turn. I have got an iP4 and turn by turn navigation works perfectly. When you install iOS6 the iP4 will do the trick.

Don't know about the 3GS.

• Reply 72 of 154

Quote:

Originally Posted by copeland View Post

Sorry but Apple isn't claiming that the iP4 can't do turn by turn. I have got an iP4 and turn by turn navigation works perfectly. When you install iOS6 the iP4 will do the trick.

Don't know about the 3GS.

"Turn-by-turn navigation is available only on iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, and iPad 2 or later with cellular data capability." From here: http://www.apple.com/ios/maps/

• Reply 73 of 154

I'll use both until inevitably Apple's Maps will be far superior.

Keep using Apple's Maps to help them improve it.

However, for practical driving, Navigon is still my goto app.

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

• Reply 74 of 154
    Meh. Pick your poison. I want my trusty old nuvi in an iPhone. I know, software would cannibalize hardware for Garmin.

Apple's map: will get me lost if I ever go to a small town in Australia two weeks ago. Fine for my area. Only true issue: No voice nav on my iPhone4. God knows why.

MotionX Drive: Best for actually getting somewhere, great voice nav, screen impossibly busy.

Waze: I just want to get there. Enough with the meetups. "Uh-oh! We seem to have encountered a bug." then auto-OK. BTW my daily commute is suddenly 4,000 miles long.

Google Maps: Found only 2 routes for my daily commute out of 3 or 4. The only two it suggested are a suicide run through the worst traffic in our area and a backroad route no-one in their right mind would take. Have to sign in to Google in order to save anything, can't access my contacts. Rerouting is like playing blind man's bluff. Only speaks streets on a picked route - go off the route and street names stop. Seems to think it's on Top Chef with the delay between "in 1000 feet" .........annnnnnnd........ "turn left".
  • Reply 75 of 154
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,584member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

However, for practical driving, Navigon is still my goto app.

Mine too when I need serious navigation and my standalone Garmin PND isn't with me.

• Reply 76 of 154

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpellino View Post

Meh. Pick your poison. I want my trusty old nuvi in an iPhone. I know, software would cannibalize hardware for Garmin

You're aware Garmin's navigation is available for the iPhone, right? It's called Garmin Streetpilot.

http://www.redmondpie.com/garmin-navigation-app-for-iphone-updated-now-features-google-street-view-and-public-transportation-info/

• Reply 77 of 154

So I havent been able to find this answered... yet (yes I read the thread, but no,  I did not study it in case I missed it).

Can Siri or voice commands be used with Google Map app?

Can it be made the 'default' mapping source?

Using Siri and just saying 'route to nearest McDonalds'  or 'route to Joe's house' on my iphone is great.

Ill probably only use Google Map if I need street view or as a 'confirmation' source. IMO - I like the higher color contrast of Google maps better than Apples too.

• Reply 78 of 154

Quote:

Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

So I havent been able to find this answered... yet (yes I read the thread, but no,  I did not study it in case I missed it).

Can Siri or voice commands be used with Google Map app?

Can it be made the 'default' mapping source?

Using Siri and just saying 'route to nearest McDonalds'  or 'route to Joe's house' on my iphone is great.

Ill probably only use Google Map if I need street view or as a 'confirmation' source. IMO - I like the higher color contrast of Google maps better than Apples too.

You don't need Siri with the Google app as it has it's own on-board voice recognition.

• Reply 79 of 154

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

You don't need Siri with the Google app as it has it's own on-board voice recognition.

I haven't been able to find that feature on Google Maps yet. Am I missing it or is it not there?

• Reply 80 of 154
    gazoobee wrote: »
    Seems like a giant FAIL to me so far.  I won't be using it much. 

in my area:

- no streetview
    - no 3D of any kind (no topology, no flyover)
    - transit directions spotty and only avail for downtown routes only
    - no transit maps (transit is in list view only)
    - no bike routes
    - advertisements galore
    - deceptive tracking practices (!)
    - nagware

I am a bit surprised really, but for me, and in my area (west coast of Canada) this has less features and is less appealing that Apple maps (which admittedly suck but not as hard as this).  It's also a big step backwards from the "old" Google maps (which were actually Apple maps).  

I hate Google and purposely try to avoid their products as I try not to do business with blatantly immoral companies like them, but if the maps product were significantly better than Apple maps I might have used it just for practical reasons.  Lucky for me they dropped the ball so I don't have the moral dilemma now.  :)

A few funny things about the confirmation bias on your post:

1 - You need to use a GPS to navigate your area? The complaints you have would make sense on a global scale; reducing them to your area, however, makes no sense at all, especially if the competition doesn't have any of those services either.

2 - In what cases does 3D and flyover help you that satellite view does not?

3 - Apple Maps does not have street view anywhere at all, so this point is completely moot.

4 - Apple Maps does not have transit directions anywhere at all, so this is another moot point.

5 - Apple Maps does not have bike routes anywhere at all, so this is another moot point.

6 - What exactly do you mean by deceptive tracking practices? Do you claim that Google tracks you without permission? If so, do you have evidence of that? Because if you do, as an EU citizen, I can actually do something about that. If, on the other hand, you're simply expelling matter through your mouth that should have been expelled through your anal cavity instead, don't even bother.

7 - Extra services are exactly that -- extra. If you don't need them, nothing forces you to log in. Would you rather that the functionality was unavailable at all?

8 - What's nagwhare and why does Google Maps classify as such?