Launch of Google Maps for iPhone viewed as a 'mixed blessing' for Apple

Comments

• Reply 21 of 267
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,261member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ifij775 View Post

Now there isn't any reason not to upgrade to iOS 6, and we don't have to hear about "mapgate" any more. Apple's map app was 10x better than the old Google app, but no one would know from the blogosphere.

There wasn't a Google app before now. The previous one was built by Apple, only using Google data for the back-end.

• Reply 22 of 267

Quote:

Originally Posted by ifij775 View Post

Now there isn't any reason not to upgrade to iOS 6, and we don't have to hear about "mapgate" any more. Apple's map app was 10x better than the old Google app, but no one would know from the blogosphere.

We didn't have to hear about mapgate before.  image

Anecdotal evidence tells me that the Apple maps issue, although annoying for some, was overblown by a press/blogosphere that leeches on Apple's blood to gain eyeballs.

From that same anecdotal evidence, I believe that the vast majority of iPhone 5 owners/buyers won't have a clue about this issue at all, nor will they care about Google Maps.

• Reply 23 of 267

Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

We didn't have to hear about mapgate before.  image

Anecdotal evidence tells me that the Apple maps issue, although annoying for some, was overblown by a press/blogosphere that leeches on Apple's blood to gain eyeballs.

From that same anecdotal evidence, I believe that the vast majority of iPhone 5 owners/buyers won't have a clue about this issue at all, nor will they care about Google Maps.

That's why Google maps went to number one downloaded free app within 30 minutes of being released. Ya, the vast majority surely don't care.

• Reply 24 of 267
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Have tried more than a half dozen nav apps. but still return to TomTom on both my iPhone and iPads.

Do like Apple's new map app which I recently used along with iGO on trip to Cabo. Since I didn't want to pay roaming charges, I planned my routes via WiFi and got the limited 30-day rental package ($9.99) for iGO Mexico.

Based on my experience, TomTom is still my first choice 'nav' app. It doesn't require a data connection to navigate. And, although the Mexico version is rather pricey for the relative amount of time I would use it, I will get it before going back there.

I do like the new Google Maps app. If for anything, it's because of 'street-view'. However, using it on my iPad at the 2x's mode is downright ugly. As such, 'Street-view' loses quite a bit of it's flare in the smaller 1x's picture mode.

For those that think TomTom US/Canada app is rather expensive, installing it on on our family's 4 iPhones, as well as, a couple of iPads, the $59 (now $46) cost is a no-brainer.
  • Reply 25 of 267
    I'm sorry but with "iPad Mini Retina Display?" and now this article. These just seem pretty obvious things. I don't think articles needed written.
  • Reply 26 of 267

Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Another analyst we've never heard of makes the headlines at AI because they said something controversial about Apple.

Trolls are spinning things negatively. How about Apple fans trying to get the word out too? The original Google maps app was a crippled, dumbed down version of the Android app, better data or not. And nothing was going to change until Apple kicked Google to the curb. Yes, Apple screwed up but the result isn't as dire as some would hope. Google desperately needs its apps and services on iOS. Some reports have indicated that Google makes more money from iOS than it does on its own Android. And the result is a new, much better Google maps app. There is a very symbiotic relationship between these two and I wish they would just kiss and make up.

Personally I will keep using the Apple maps app because of this nonsense from Google. Fortunately Apple has the money and market power to take action like they did, unlike the 90's when they had to kowtow to Microsoft to keep Office on the Mac.

And the original app was created by Apple, not Google.  The only thing Google did was provide the background data.  If you want to blame someone for the dumbed down app, blame Apple.

• Reply 27 of 267
    Apple is the clear winner, they now have two decent map apps on their iPhone including their own which won't be found anywhere else.
  • Reply 28 of 267
    Finally, Apple customers don't have to suffer with their GPS
    paperweights anymore.
  • Reply 29 of 267

Quote:

Originally Posted by NexusPhan View Post

That's why Google maps went to number one downloaded free app within 30 minutes of being released. Ya, nobody cares.

That tells me nothing. Give me a number and I'll tell you whether or not Google Maps is relevant. Remember... even 10 million downloads is still only slightly better than 20% of iPhone 5 buyers.

Nobody? I don't remember saying nobody. Hmmm... that explains who you are at least...

• Reply 30 of 267
    This shuts up the Apple map complainers. While the vast majority of iOS users will still use Apple maps.

Win-win for who?
  • Reply 31 of 267

Quote:

Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

I do like the new Google Maps app. If for anything, it's because of 'street-view'. However, using it on my iPad at the 2x's mode is downright ugly. As such, 'Street-view' loses quite a bit of it's flare in the smaller 1x's picture mode.

There's an iPad/Universal app coming (on their blog). For the sake of time they released the iPhone version first as that's obviously where most navigation occurs.

• Reply 32 of 267

Quote:

That tells me nothing. Give me a number and I'll tell you whether or not Google Maps is relevant. Remember... even 10 million downloads is still only slightly better than 20% of iPhone 5 buyers.

Nobody? I don't remember saying nobody. Hmmm... that explains who you are at least...

If Apple was as transparent as Google is it would be published right in the app store itself. But, they're not. I bet Google will post number in a few weeks. And "nobody" versus "vast majority" is a little bit of nit picking. I'll edit my post as to not misrepresent your opinions.

• Reply 33 of 267
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member

Quote:

Almost anything - both positive and negative - surrounding Apple gets hyped out of proportion. However, there's clear evidence that Apple did screw the pooch on this one: firstly, Apple issued an apology and, secondly, people at Apple lost their jobs over the issue. 

• Reply 34 of 267
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    nexusphan wrote: »
    That's why Google maps went to number one downloaded free app within 30 minutes of being released. Ya, nobody cares.

I was afraid this sort of weak thinking would make its way to this forum. I downloaded, installed and tested Google's new map app for iOS. I will not be replacing my native app or TomTom app so I can use Google's solution. I'll keep it on the last page because at under 7MB it's not taking up much space. I am like many who wanted to try it out but aren't so keen on replacing their native solution. I've seen the same from pretty much every tech blogger that uses an iPhone.

PS: I also added to Ubuntu and Win8 and Win Server 2012 downloads but I have no interest in replacing Mac OS X with them either.
  • Reply 35 of 267

Quote:

Originally Posted by NexusPhan View Post

If Apple was as transparent as Google is it would be published right in the app store itself. But, they're not. I bet Google will post number in a few weeks. And "nobody" versus "vast majority" is a little bit of nit picking. I'll edit my post as to not misrepresent your opinions.

Nobody versus vast majority is nitpicking? Only in your world does 80% of the populace not count as the vast majority.

Misrepresentation is your forte... why stop now.

Transparent as Google?! Now I know you're joking. 

• Reply 36 of 267

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Good for both the customer in that they're getting a fully-functional Navigation/mapping solution for their iOS devices as well as Google for the aforementioned reasons.

One can only hope Apple is much more careful in the future not to release such half-hearted efforts like iOS Maps as other companies might not be there to so quickly help bail them out.

Yes, one can only hope. But you're inflating your complaints artificially. IT'S AN APP. Others can barely get their entire late-to-the-game mobile platform up and running. Not to mention the maker of a certain "open" OS that can barely get the basics right, never mind fragmentation. 

Complaining about the Apple Maps app?  Goes to show how Apple spoils consumers. 

• Reply 37 of 267

Quote:

Originally Posted by robflip71 View Post

paperweights anymore.

Are you on drugs or was there some horrible accident?

There is an ENTIRE CATEGORY in the iOS App Store called NAVIGATION. Everything from the free and very capable Waze, Motion X Drive, right up to Navigon, Garmin, etc. 

• Reply 38 of 267

Quote:

Originally Posted by iVince View Post

Apple is the clear winner, they now have two decent map apps on their iPhone including their own which won't be found anywhere else.

This ^^^

• Reply 39 of 267

Competition is good, and Apple is not perfect, so this is great for customers. The Google Maps app on the iPhone is 5x better now than it was prior to iOS 6, so there is a positive. Also Apple will have to work hard to win the customers back, again good.

Who said iOS isn't open? This shows a healthy and flourishing eco-system...

• Reply 40 of 267
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    robflip71 wrote: »
    paperweights anymore.
    why hasn't this troll been banned yet?