Samsung to take on Apple's iPad mini with 8-inch Galaxy Note

Comments

• Reply 61 of 105
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member

So Samsung is copying Apple copying Samsung tablet?

• Reply 62 of 105
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    nikon133 wrote: »
    Mind you, Samsung released 7" Galaxy Tab back in 2010. One could argue that, in reducing size for iPad Mini, Apple actually followed mini tablets trend set by likes of Samsung, Amazon and B&N...
    Nah we got 7" tablets because Amazon etc. realized the only way they could compete with IPad was on price. There's already been rumors that Amazon is cutting back production on the larger sized Fire HD because it isn't selling as well. 7" tablets took off because they were cheap. If Apple was just a copycat they would have released a cheap, plastic smaller iPad but that's not what they did.
  • Reply 63 of 105

Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

So Samsung is copying Apple copying Samsung tablet?

If you listen to the Anti-Apple Brigade, yep.

• Reply 64 of 105
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

Mind you, Samsung released 7" Galaxy Tab back in 2010. One could argue that, in reducing size for iPad Mini, Apple actually followed mini tablets trend set by likes of Samsung, Amazon and B&N...

No argument necessary.   The facts came out in trial evidence.  Apple made a Mini after Senior Vice President Eddy Cue  tried a 7" Samsung Tab and found the experience to be "very compelling":

• Reply 65 of 105
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    kdarling wrote: »
    Of course, that's a list of devices over several years, not the display sizes available right now.

<span style="font-size:13px;line-height:1.231;">Still, it shows how a </span>
    <span style="font-size:13px;line-height:1.231;">resolution independent UI allows a wider choice in sizes and resolution with resorting to pixel doubling or unused black strips.</span>

That's a difference between android and iOS. Android scales up phone size apps while iOS prefers developers design a more productive app with the additional real estate a tablet offers.
  • Reply 66 of 105
    minicapt wrote: »
    1. The Pogo Connect is available now:  http://www.tenonedesign.com/connect.php
    2. The Jot Touch is due soon: http://adonit.net/jot/touch/

Cheers

Unfortunately neither one comes close to the user experience or pressure sensitivity of a Wacom! Artists like me want to replace their Wacom with an iPad, were not quite there yet. I really thought this would've been an apple accessory by now given the amount of artists who use Apple products.
  • Reply 67 of 105

Samsung has been very successful with Galaxy S3 but I am not sure Samsung can make a tablet that rivals iPad. But I think the Chinese will eventually win the tablet market because they are making comparable tablets at very low prices and they are selling well. http://x.co/sJy9

• Reply 68 of 105
    Samsung has been very successful with Galaxy S3 but I am not sure Samsung can make a tablet that rivals iPad. But I think the Chinese will eventually win the tablet market because they are making comparable tablets at very low prices and they are selling well. http://x.co/sJy9
  • Reply 69 of 105
    timbittimbit Posts: 331member
    "the Note 8.0 ? which will join the Galaxy Notes 2 and 10.1 in Samsung's stylus-enabled lineup"

Ok, so based on their naming scheme, they have a 10.1in tablet, a new 8in one, and a 2in one.... Am I right?
  • Reply 70 of 105
    This is psychotic. And people actually want Apple to become more like this? No.

The list of their phones is even more bizarre:
    1. Samsung Galaxy i7500
    2. Samsung Galaxy Spica i5700
    3. Samsung Galaxy Portal
    4. Samsung Galaxy S (GT-I9000)
    5. Samsung Vibrant
    6. Samsung Fascinate
    7. Samsung Epic 4G
    8. Samsung Mesmerize
    9. Samsung Galaxy 3 (i5800)
    10. Samsung Galaxy 5 (i5500)
    11. Samsung Galaxy 550
    12. Samsung Galaxy U
    13. Samsung Galaxy 551[Note 1]
    14. Samsung Galaxy K
    15. Samsung Galaxy Ace (GT-S5830i)
    16. Samsung Galaxy Fit (S5670)
    17. Samsung Galaxy SL (GT-I9003)
    18. Samsung Galaxy Gio (GT-S5660)
    19. Samsung Galaxy Mini (GT-S5570)
    20. Samsung Galaxy Prevail (SPH-M820)
    21. Samsung Galaxy Pro
    22. Samsung Galaxy Neo
    23. Samsung Galaxy S II (GT-I9100)
    24. Samsung Captivate Glide
    25. Samsung Exhibit 4G
    26. Samsung Galaxy Z
    27. Samsung Galaxy S Plus (GT-i9001)[Note 1]
    28. Samsung Galaxy R (I9103)[Note 1]
    29. Samsung Galaxy W (I8150)[Note 1]
    30. Samsung Galaxy M [Note 1]
    31. Samsung Galaxy Y (GT-S5360)[Note 1]
    32. Samsung Galaxy Precedent
    33. Samsung Galaxy XCover (S5690)
    34. Samsung Stratosphere[Note 1]
    35. Samsung Galaxy Nexus (i9250)
    36. Samsung Galaxy Y Pro Duos
    37. Samsung Galaxy Ace Plus
    38. Samsung Galaxy Ace 2
    39. Samsung Galaxy Mini 2
    40. Samsung Galaxy Beam (i8520)
    41. Samsung Galaxy Pocket
    42. Samsung Galaxy S Advance
    43. Samsung Galaxy S III (GT-i9300)
    44. Samsung Galaxy Appeal (SGH-I827)
    45. Samsung Galaxy Stellar (SCH-I200)
    46. Samsung Galaxy S Duos
    47. Samsung Galaxy Victory 4G LTE (SPH-L300)
    48. Samsung Galaxy Reverb (SPH-M950)
    49. Samsung Galaxy Rush (SPH-M830)
    50. Samsung Galaxy Express (SGH-I437)
    51. Samsung Galaxy Rugby Pro (SGH-I547)
    52. Samsung Galaxy S III Mini (GT-I8190)

And that is just their Galaxy phones; they have more lines than this one. Their US website gives me 152 models with the majority not being a Galaxy
    kdarling wrote: »
    Of course, that's a list of devices over several years, not the display sizes available right now.

Still, it shows how a resolution independent UI allows a wider choice in sizes and resolution with resorting to pixel doubling or unused black strips.

And that is clearly the wrong approach to good design. Samsung doesn't feel the need to take a good look at the resulting product but only thinks of a way to do less work than needed. Whereas Apple gave the new AR of the iPhone5 a thorough thought and made good use of the extra pixels. Almost every app was redesigned, dvelopers following. If they hadn't things would've looked like old school 4:3 stretched for a 16:9 screen.
  • Reply 71 of 105

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Samsung Galaxy Rugby Pro

This thing had better either come with one of those thick-knit, long-sleeved collared shirts or have a cloth collar sewn right onto the device. Otherwise I'd be disappointed.

• Reply 72 of 105

Quote:

Originally Posted by tzeshan View Post

Do you know cellular capabilities is not the same as using a phone?  For your info iPad mini also have cellular capabilities but it can not be used as a phone.  I was saying Samsung Note/Note II are marketed as a smartphone and receive lots of subsidy from AT&T and Verizon. 

I understand that the iPad mini is not a phone. But neither is this. This is a tablet. So therefore this is comparing apples to apples.  And AFAIK Verizon has stopped subsidizing tablets. You have to pay for tablets outright and then can put it on a shared plan for $10 a month.

EDIT- Obviously "cellular capabilities" was not the right term to use. But my point still stands. This is not a phone, this is a tablet and tablets are not subsidized by Verizon any longer.

• Reply 73 of 105
    I am interested in this samsung new note, make it also a phone and high speed data device with good hardware and im sold.
    As for the stylus...if you never thought "wow,a mouse or stylus would make this better" thenthis feature is not for you BUT...for Virtual networking into another full computer or graphic features of programs a mouse or stylus is indispensible. So if your tablet use case is consume mediaor limited functions you don't need something to interact better BUT again you shouldn't tell others that want a device that can be a do everything device that a feature no in your use case shouldn't be in theirs.
    I am excited by stylus interaction as will anyone who uses a graphics table the ability to see the stylus marks on the image is fantastic.
  • Reply 74 of 105
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Pretty loose meaning of 'take on'. Why would this tablet suddenly matter? Did everyone forget the complete piece of shit Note10.1, that was completely evicerated in reviews by even diehard Android fansites? The one where it bends and creaks as soon as you touch it, has the most horrible build quality known to man, and somehow managed to be sluggish as **** even while having high end specs with the abomination that is touchwiz?

Yeah, I'll take an 8 inch version please. 

• Reply 75 of 105
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    philboogie wrote: »
    Samsung Galaxy Rugby Pro

This thing had better either come with one of those thick-knit, long-sleeved collared shirts or have a cloth collar sewn right onto the device. Otherwise I'd be disappointed.

Sorry mate, it doesn't ¡

They do have an water resistant phone, IP67 no less:

• Reply 76 of 105

Blah.

Sounds like a great plan.

Since all other Smash-sung tablets are doing so well and obviously crushing that iPad piece of crap, let's spend a few more millions and make yet another award winning tablet.

/s

• Reply 77 of 105

Quote:

Originally Posted by ifij775 View Post

I have never once thought, "Wow, I could really use a stylus right now"

I have, but that was to stab someone, does it count?

• Reply 78 of 105

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

This is psychotic. And people actually want Apple to become more like this? No.

You haven't been told? Apple is going to push out:

- iPhone Math (that one obviously is used to compute the other models' differences)

- iPhone Mini

- iPhone Nano

- iPhone CoffeeMachine

- iPhone Standard Edition

- iPhone Ultimate

- iPhone Enterprise Edition

All of these, of course, in 6 capacities (16, 32, 64, 128, 37.5 and 72.8 GB), and 6 colors (Opale Yellow, Argile Green, Sky Blue, Product (Red), Ghay Pink, Philboogie Oranje), which will at last bring Apple's offering to a reasonable number of 252 models, not withstanding the build-to-order options of FM-radio, integrated stylus, and one-more-thing but I'm not allowed to disclose this yet.

Edit: I have to disclose that I have very reliable internal sources such as Digitimes and AppleInsider, so all I just said should be taken as the Word of God.

• Reply 79 of 105
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member

- iPhone CoffeeMachine

That made me think of this one
  • Reply 80 of 105

Quote:

Originally Posted by xtacee1990 View Post

where Apple goes, Samsung follows. And they wonder why Apple sues the s out of them. 

Samsung believes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigMac2 View Post

Having sees some peoples creating breathtaking illustration with a iPad on Youtube and elsewhere, I think a glove solve most of the screen touching issue and the touch screen precision seams more than enough once you get use to it.  

I got artist colleagues using iPad and Nexus tablets to draw. They're happy and they're productive, though they're more productive with the Cintiq...

I don't agree with people bashing the tablets for not having a stylus. Too many artists achieve breathtaking results without the need for a stylus to not disprove that claim.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I just want the iPad to work the same way as it works in real life with pen and paper.  I flip the pages with my fingers, but when I go to draw on it, I want to rest my hand on the paper and draw with an accurate stylus the same way everyone always has.  Right now you have to do some serious gymnastics to avoid touching the screen, hold the pen at an unnatural angle, and even then ... you have to constantly zoom in and out for the details because the pen is basically as accurate as a sausage. 

Styluses to write or make marks with have been with us, and hardly changed at all, since neolithic days.  I'm not convinced that they are no longer needed or the fact that I can scribble a line with my finger on the iPad is a good replacement. 

Ach, das is vhy cherman enchineers should not design ztylus.

Sorry, could not help picture a Frankfurt-sausage-stylus.

Quote:

Originally Posted by msimpson View Post

I have thought MANY times I would use an iPad if it had a stylus.

Good news: you don't need a stylus to use an iPad. Since I'm nice, I'll even give you the url, now that you know that your problem is inexistent: www.apple.com/ipad

Have a nice buying session.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Oak View Post

Samsung is a pretender... One that over compensates with its large scale marketing budget

Just think of what they could achieve moving half of that budget to the R&D and design departments.