Samsung exec: Galaxy S IV's plastic body balances manufacturability and 'premium feel'

Comments

• Reply 21 of 144
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Why am I reading about how Samsung builds its phones on an Apple site?

So people can come here and say how great plastic, sorry, polycarbonate is, how Apple has used it in the past and how we'll all be singing its praises when Apple uses it on their cheap phone for China. image

• Reply 22 of 144
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I think Apple is on the right path with premium recyclable quality alloys. They look and feel like a precious object...

Which is why the Internet is awash with cheap rubber iPhone bumper cases.

<cough> Scuffgate

• Reply 23 of 144
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Lee said the next-gen Galaxy S IV is no exception, and will utilize plastic in the same fashion as previous products in the popular Android-based smartphone lineup.

"I think the next product has a nice balance between this," Lee said. "We listen to the market and try to accommodate."

Listen to what market? Are Android users demanding plastic cases?

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

How many premium made iPhones are in a cheap plastic case? Premium feeling out the window.

The first iPhone was alloy with a plastic radio window. It was not perfect. There were RF issues with that design so they shifted to plastic because it was more radio transparent for all of the different signals the phone used. I don't think Apple was entirely satisfied with the look and feel of the plastic case which is why they transitioned glass and by putting the antennas on the outside of the case, they improved the reception even further. Glass on the back did make the phone a bit heavy and was not as impact resistant so they finally evolved to aluminum, which looks and feels terrific in my opinion. So, for Apple it was an evolution even though it created challenges in manufacturing, however for Samsung they are apparently satisfied with plastic as they continue to produce their phone cases in the same manner that they always have. It is cheaper and easier to manufacture so that is what you get from Samsung.

• Reply 24 of 144

...because Samsung's product is superior! Ditched "Crapple" long ago. Lack of imagination and creativity. All iphones are recycled from the previous versions. #Yawn

• Reply 25 of 144
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    mstone wrote: »
    You do realize that polycarbonate is just another name for mid-grade plastic, right? It is nothing fancy. They make Lego blocks out of it too.

I didn't know they ever used PC. Apparently, just the clear parts.
  • Reply 26 of 144
    chandra69chandra69 Posts: 638member

Quote:

Had they gone with aluminum you would have been yelling "they copied!"

Would you tell the same?

• Reply 27 of 144
    dongguadonggua Posts: 1member

Striking a balance between practicality and premium looks, Samsung is rumored to release the Gal S, a plastic girlfriend that's better than your real one. The Gal S will be cheaper and sport a volume and mute button.

• Reply 28 of 144

Quote:

Originally Posted by hentaiboy View Post

Quote:

I think Apple is on the right path with premium recyclable quality alloys. They look and feel like a precious object...

Which is why the Internet is awash with cheap rubber iPhone bumper cases.

<cough> Scuffgate

I have had mine since day one. I bought a case but I didn't like the feel of it so I ditched it quickly. My iPhone 5 is still pristine. I think most people buy a case for their iPhone simply because they view it as a precious object that they want to protect from damage. I don't think all case users are worried so much about scratches but mostly about dropping it and damaging it in some severe way like breaking the glass.

• Reply 29 of 144
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,386member
    Of course it will be shitty, cheap plastic. Did anyone expect anything else? This is Samsung we're talking about. It's not like they're gonna invest in new materials or make a phone with top notch build quality. Can't wait for the video where they pretend they did a ton of research and were "inspired" by nature, etc.

I'm sure their designers pulled some all nighters to come up with that wallet icon too, I bet they were inspired by a square, leather, black pouch they saw lying around with some colorful, angled passes inside. Of course, it was pure coincidence that it looked exactly like the icon from another phone, clearly.
  • Reply 30 of 144
    quest01quest01 Posts: 69member
    I can understand the reasoning behind using polycarbonate and not aluminum or glass due to being able to swap batteries or insert an micro SD card but it does make it so much cheaper feeling in the hand. The iphone 5 and to a lesser extent, the nexus 4 feel much more premium feeling in the hand compared to the gs3 and note line.
  • Reply 31 of 144

You're absolutely right.  I've owned both and the Samsung build actually turns out to be more utilitarian, less damage prone and LIGHTER. :)

• Reply 32 of 144

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hturt Seaker View Post

It is incredibly stupid to suggest that using Aluminum, or any other metal for that matter, makes sense in a practical way for impact protection. suggesting that brushed aluminum is 'best' is pretty ridiculous as well.

[...]

What's next? Criticize automakers for not using brushed Aluminum bumpers?

I actually liked the chrome steel bumpers of my old Tahoe but my new one uses high grade engineering plastics not cheap polycarbonates. The transition to plastic bumpers is due in large part to the 5mph no damage requirement. Even at 5mph the steel bumpers would scratch and dent.

If Samsung used high grade ABS for their phones I could see it as a deliberate choice to use the highest quality materials but they don't.

• Reply 33 of 144

Quote:

Listen to what market? Are Android users demanding plastic cases?

The market seems to demand a "premium feel." But the market also wants durability. They will likely use a better finish, but stick to plastic.

Quote:

Glass on the back did make the phone a bit heavy and was not as impact resistant so they finally evolved to aluminum, which looks and feels terrific in my opinion. So, for Apple it was an evolution even though it created challenges in manufacturing, however for Samsung they are apparently satisfied with plastic as they continue to produce their phone cases in the same manner that they always have. It is cheaper and easier to manufacture so that is what you get from Samsung.

1.- Aluminum is hardly an impact resistant material. Plastic is. Fact.

2.- Raw aluminum is pretty cheap as well. I remember getting quotes for 6061 AL ALY for $3.50 a pound. The casings are flat so they can be brushed on a belt machine rather quickly. Machining it would be the most expensive part of manufacturing it, but it is easy to mass produce. those aluminum cases are not as expensive as people like to think.

3.- Drop/scratch it enough to remove a bit of coating and aluminum will start a beautiful chemical process called corrosion.

• Reply 34 of 144

Quote:

I actually liked the chrome steel bumpers of my old Tahoe but my new one uses high grade engineering plastics not cheap polycarbonates. The transition to plastic bumpers is due in large part to the 5mph no damage requirement. Even at 5mph the steel bumpers would scratch and dent.

If Samsung used high grade ABS for their phones I could see it as a deliberate choice to use the highest quality materials but they don't.

Regardless of regulations, the automotive industry was bound to move to plastics. They are lighter and better at impact absorption. In the aerospace industry, we started to use plastic bumpers that are painted to look like anodized aluminum in first class furniture. It is all in the quality of the finish.

Quote:

Why would they? The plastic they use gets the job done. And its competitors are not using "the highest quality materials" either. Brushed aluminum is NOT "the highest quality material." It is not and never will. Yes, it looks nice, but that's about it.

• Reply 35 of 144

Quote:

The market seems to demand a "premium feel." But the market also wants durability. They will likely use a better finish, but stick to plastic.

Why bother? The premium Android phones are often discarded after a year or less* either for the next Android sensation or due to system failure of some sort, where as the iPhones are handed down, updated iOS and resold for years. iPhones have a long life expectancy, Androids, not so much.

* from my personal observations of friends' experiences with Android phones

• Reply 36 of 144
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Further proof of where Samsung's priorities are, vs. Apple's.

(hint: Apple actually gives a shit about the quality and design of what they put their logo on.)

• Reply 37 of 144

Quote:

Why bother? The premium Android phones are often discarded after a year or less* either for the next Android sensation or due to system failure of some sort, where as the iPhones are handed down, updated iOS and resold for years. iPhones have a long life expectancy, Androids, not so much.

* from my personal observations of friends' experiences with Android phones

Anecdotal evidence logical fallacy.

• Reply 38 of 144

Quote:

we started to use plastic bumpers that are painted to look like anodized aluminum in first class furniture. 

Plastic in automotive makes sense as does plastic in a cell phone. But plastic is plastic.

I think Apple uses aluminum because it is light weight, looks great and is recyclable. Plastic is more durable but so are plastic plates and utensils. That doesn't mean there is no reason to have fine China and silverware. iPhones fall into the latter category in terms of quality. If I planned on dropping my phone, I would probably use a ruggedized model of some sort but I don't plan on dropping it. I am very careful with it, just like I don't put the fine China in the dishwasher.

• Reply 39 of 144

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Further proof of where Samsung's priorities are, vs. Apple's.

(hint: Apple actually gives a shit about the quality and design of what they put their logo on.)

That's why Apple uses composites instead of oxidation prone aluminum. Wait....

• Reply 40 of 144

Quote:

Anecdotal evidence logical fallacy.

So you are saying that Android phones are handed down, updated OS, and resold for years.