BlackBerry CEO calls Apple's iPhone user interface outdated

Comments

• Reply 261 of 291

we have to fix the iphone or we all going to get hacked.

NEWARK, N.J. — A man convicted of illegally gaining access to AT&T's servers and stealing more than 100,000 e-mail addresses of iPad users is facing sentencing.

Andrew Auernheimer is scheduled to appear in federal court in Newark today.

The former Arkansas resident was convicted in November of identity theft and conspiracy to gain unauthorized access to computers. Prosecutors are seeking a sentence of 33 to 41 months. Auernheimer's attorney says his client should receive probation.

Prosecutors say Auernheimer was part of an online group that tricked AT&T's website into divulging the email addresses, including those of New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg, film mogul Harvey Weinstein and other celebrities.

• Reply 262 of 291
    This is almost as good as PlayBook's "AMATEUR HOUR IS OVER" campaign.
  • Reply 263 of 291
    NEWARK, N.J. — A man convicted of illegally gaining access to AT&T's servers and stealing more than 100,000 e-mail addresses of iPad users is facing sentencing.

Andrew Auernheimer is scheduled to appear in federal court in Newark today.

The former Arkansas resident was convicted in November of identity theft and conspiracy to gain unauthorized access to computers. Prosecutors are seeking a sentence of 33 to 41 months. Auernheimer's attorney says his client should receive probation.

Prosecutors say Auernheimer was part of an online group that tricked AT&T's website into divulging the email addresses, including those of New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg, film mogul Harvey Weinstein and other celebrities.
  • Reply 264 of 291
    hftshfts Posts: 386member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So you're using complete and utter idiots as examples? Is that really what you want to do? They don't count.

Never mind that another of your links look to be outdated in the extreme (pre-multitasking). 

I don't use Google services. My feelings will not change on it. It will be nowhere near my computing devices. And it's certainly not the future.

So you HATE google too !

Why do these droids think that something they love and we despise will suddely turn up on our iDevices just because they think its so wonderful.

Wishful thinking maybe. They are so absorbed in their micro-worlds that they cannot or refuse to see the big picture.

• Reply 265 of 291

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

AppleInsider subjects all of its readers to Google Ad Services.

So ?  There are times when one cannot block all ads, I don't have nor need an ad blocker as ads NEVER register with me.

They are simply background noise.

I am the worse type of user in google's eyes.

Having said this, I have nothing to do with them, with regards to gmail (spambot), google+ (piss poor version of facebook, which I despise also), search, maps etc.

I do have alternatives, they are fine to me.

At the end of the day, me as an iOS user, generates NO money for google, not one single cent, and this makes me very happy.

• Reply 266 of 291

Quote:

Originally Posted by igriv View Post

The start-up screen is horrible. I have ten pages of apps, and the stone age folder system does not even allow one to combine like ones into one folder (because of folder size limitations) Every file system known to man has hierarchical structure, EXCEPT for iOS. Searching for an app is a hit or miss thing. For example, searching for "Gmail" brings up first many contacts with a gmail.com email address, and about forty lines down the actual app. I could go on, but it is making me too depressed.

The same folder system that android blatantly copied after Apple.

So tell me, in which time line do you operate in, because one needs to know before discussing anything with you.

• Reply 267 of 291

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

So Android is beautiful because you're free to make your phone not look like Android? I'll buy that. /s

The above post is a classic case of how Android fans (and Windows fans before them) just don't get it. They think that UI is all about the appearance of the icons. If you can change the way it looks, that must be a good thing, right? You can simply choose one that works best.

In reality, UI is about how it WORKS, not how it looks. Changing an icon has absolutely no impact on the UI. A bad UI is still a bad UI now matter how many different faces you try to put on it.

Actually you are wrong or overally simplying things.

The position of fields on an input screen with associated text (labels) can be a hit and miss afair, to say it doesn't matter is overally simplying things.

Here is a good example, I saw an input/output screen that reflected the database elements in a rather poor way, the fields who simply "painted" in the order they appears in the table structure and all over the place. Obviously a lazy bastard of a programmer did this.

A programmer with an ounce of integrity would not have done this, he/she would group logical data into areas, thus making it easier to view the information, resulting in better input accuracy and less eye strain as the most obvious advantages.

You would be quite surprised how some Users are very thankful when you fix up an ugly screen, add contextual help, use borders and selectable lists etc.

All this on a mainframe application too.

Having written this, I love iOS, for its simplicity and minimalist style, its easy to use for 1 year olds to 100 year olds, and that is how an OS should be.

• Reply 268 of 291
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    hfts wrote: »
    Actually you are wrong or overally simplying things.
    The position of fields on an input screen with associated text (labels) can be a hit and miss afair, to say it doesn't matter is overally simplying things.
    Here is a good example, I saw an input/output screen that reflected the database elements in a rather poor way, the fields who simply "painted" in the order they appears in the table structure and all over the place. Obviously a lazy bastard of a programmer did this.
    A programmer with an ounce of integrity would not have done this, he/she would group logical data into areas, thus making it easier to view the information, resulting in better input accuracy and less eye strain as the most obvious advantages.
    You would be quite surprised how some Users are very thankful when you fix up an ugly screen, add contextual help, use borders and selectable lists etc.
    All this on a mainframe application too.
    Having written this, I love iOS, for its simplicity and minimalist style, its easy to use for 1 year olds to 100 year olds, and that is how an OS should be.

None of which explains your claim taht I'm wrong or overly simplified things.

Oh, wait. You're still mad because I proved you were lying about being a chemist.
  • Reply 269 of 291

I read an article about 3 years ago about a US woman who is a UI designer (one of the top in her field), complaining about the extremely bad web sites.

Far too busy, cluttered, not logically ordered, full of ads, difficult to navigate and find things.

The reason for this is that may web sites are done by non-professionals, and I mean those that are not employed in IT.

Most of these are people who bought some web site design tools and now think they can design sites, how delusional.

It takes skill, knowledge and expertise in designing sites, screens etc.

One must consider many things. However in the end the major focus is on clarity, easy navigation, help when you need it, grouping of data elements, labelling etc.

To me iOS meets all these. That is why I am happy with it, nor do I think it needs change.

An OS is not an app, when will people learn this fact.

A grid of icons is fine by me, I can arrange these, hide some that I don't need, remove them, search for them and navigate around them fludity and at ease.

The iOS is simply a container for the apps, a smart container at that, but nether the less basically this.

Please Apple do not change it, it doesn't need any changes.

As I posted before, 1 year olds and 100 years olds can easily use it, no manual required.

What Apple does need to fix is their virrual keyboard though, and Maps will grow stronger and better with each passing day as Apple is clearly focused here.

• Reply 270 of 291
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member

Apple will come out with an updated UI when their GPU power is a bit more beefier.  Call this UI upgrade "From OSX with Love".

1) I can imagine the lock screen being like OSX with the dashboard.  Apple can allow certain apps to be set in settings to live there.  Many 1 to 4 apps at a time.  As you add more the screen real estate divides to display the apps (e.g. stock ticker, weather, sports scores, top news, etc).  Without unlocking the screen you can then magnify with your finger each tile as you can in OSX.

2) Next, an update to the folders.  Make them spring loaded.  I'm kind of tired of the fade in of the folder as a block of icons.  Keep that as an option to revert back to in settings.

3) Real multitasking but as an option for users to set per app.  Make a gesture to launch "Mission Control" to switch between the apps.  

5) Hopping icons when they want to get your attention or shaking.  Similar to dock icons.

6) A magnifying glass but not really.  Rather an X-Ray meets magnifying glass to peer through the app icons and show you a preview of what's updated in the app that it is pointing at the most. 

7) Updated camera features to match and rival Samsung's.  Ok this is not a UI refinement but a feature request just like at refresh of iWork would be nice too.

Thanks,

Tory

• Reply 271 of 291
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member

deleted

• Reply 272 of 291
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bullhead View Post

I hear this from the Microsoft drones and fandroids a lot. it has become a mainstain of their talking points. But specifically, they never mention what is outdated about it? what does not work?

While not perfect, iOS has a highly intuitive, easy to use interface. It is far better than the horrid Windows Phone OS with is busy flashing squares, text scrolling off the right side of the screen everywhere, primitive block colors, etc... Or androids, iOS copy, with slow motion scrolling, inconsistent experience, unintuitive navigation, etc...

Apple is not Microsoft who reskins their OS every year as a means to justify its outrageous upgrade cost, or Googles copying of everything Apple does.

I concur wholeheartedly.

We don't need animated application icons, skinable system interfaces and all that garrish nonsense.iOS definitely gets the basics right. Simple, clean visuals and exquisite typefaces.

Still I'd like Apple to give folders an overhaul though. The current implementation is awkward. Why limit the number of allowed apps to 12, when the folder icon is only capable of displaying 9? 20 apps would form neat columns of 4 or 5 which forms neat rows on both the iPhone and iPad in landscape.

I'd also like to see "smart folders", where the apps displayed are refreshed constantly based on predetermined search criteria. Predetermine characteristics might include "recently updated" or "board games" or "not opened in the last 4 weeks". I'm at 11 pages and use the search bar to launch apps frequently so this would be much appreciated.

Some of the system apps like stocks and weather are completely redundant for many users. Instead of forcing us to make one or more "not used" folders it would be great to be just be able to deactivate them using a simple toggle in system preferences (or delete and redownload from the App Store).

This is kind of related to delegating a third party app as the preferred app for a core device function - things like managing calendar, phone, email, maps, banking and weather. I would be dissapointed if this isn't in Apple's pipeline - they could use it as a developer carrot to leverage adoption of Siri API's. I'm sure Apple envisages future Siri as the cognitive bridge connecting silos of information secured in individual applications. But for this to occur Apple needs developers to present information in a consistent way.

• Reply 273 of 291
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Don't feed the concern trolls. It just makes it worse.

This from the guy whose signature contains an all-time great troll slapdown from addabox. :rolleyes:

I got to argue with you in this case, even though I generally agree about not feeding trolls. I don't really care if sept 11 is a concern troll, or a troll at all.

This "stale" and "dated" crap is the worst attack against Apple yet, and clearly it's getting a lot of play in both the mainstream and tech press, since journalists are herd animals with very little thought processes of their own. They trade in prefab memes, the stupider the better sometimes, because obnoxiousness sells.

What's so toxic about this "stale" meme is that it derives and is circulated by an emotional defect in the young meme monger. He is "bored" because his phone no longer entertains him. This kind of subjective, self-inflicted discontent can spread virally from geek to geek more easily, surely, than an "objective" meme like "Apple is too controlling."

So this one has to be fought with at every irruption because it's much more of an infection in the population of geeks, not just a ideological position. I'm not saying it's the best way of dealing with it, but trying to shame the perpetrator is the only way I've come up with so far.
  • Reply 274 of 291
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    I agree with him and almost everybody thinks that it's a little outdated.
    I wish Apple would embrace sensitive bezels.
    One swipe from the bottom and up would open the app-tray. Keep your finger on the screen after the swipe and move it left or right to change app icon (or preview) then lift it to switch app directly.
    Swiping left or right on the bottom bezel switches apps left/right.
    One swipe from the left bezel might open a notification tray (like on blackberry), much better than from the top.
    That way all gestures might be achieve with one hand only.
    In any case, with the possible revamp of iOS (if Ive has enough time to make it) Apple could insist on the fact that the phone is operable single-handedly like it used to. Hope they move the back button to the bottom too.

But people are mostly complaining about pure visual appearance so a simple redesign will appease most people. They only care about that after all.
  • Reply 275 of 291
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    clemynx wrote: »
    But people are mostly complaining about pure visual appearance so a simple redesign will appease most people. They only care about that after all.

That would be the most logical thing to do: appease the most.
  • Reply 276 of 291
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member

Quote:

Originally Posted by NexusPhan View Post

I'm glad you mentioned that! Google Play has thousands of icon sets to download. There are a ton of creative options out there. Even third party complete crooks stealing iOS designs. There are actually a lot of really great ones. That's the beauty of Android. As was my original point. You can't bash the look of Android because there are so many options out there that it is easy to create a beautiful looking home screen (Not including the one below per my personal preference)

I was lazy and picked the first result in Google images.

Is that seriously supposed to be a 'beautiful home screen'?

It's awful.

• Reply 277 of 291
    joogabahjoogabah Posts: 139member
    jameskatt2 wrote: »
    What Blackberry's CEO is actually saying is they want Apple to come out with something new and innovative to copy.

In regard to other smartphone UIs, the key with Apple is simplicity. After all, an easy to use smartphone was the primary goal of creating the iPhone in the first place.

Now others what to or have already added a lot of complexity to their copies of the iPhone. That's OK to do. Keep on trucking. Keep on making it every more complex until it looks like a Windows PC. After all, that is where they are heading.

The iPhone will continue to be easy enough for a 1 year-old or grandmother to use.

Here here!

Why do so many people view "easy" as inferior, as if the more intelligent and sophisticated prefer cumbersome interfaces?

It's the stupid and short sighted who cannot create an elegant, empowering simplicity.
  • Reply 278 of 291
    jragosta wrote: »
    None of which explains your claim taht I'm wrong or overly simplified things.

Oh, wait. You're still mad because I proved you were lying about being a chemist.

I actually don't need to prove anything to you, I know what professional qualifications I have.
    You seem to be a frustrated person, perhaps lowly educated, jealous of others perhaps.
    Your posts don't add to the discussion rather they are like a flame thrower.
    Please calm down and respect others, those that know more than you. I respect others whom I can learn from, why not try it once in a while, it won't hurt.
  • Reply 279 of 291
    reefoidreefoid Posts: 158member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hfts View Post

I actually don't need to prove anything to you, I know what professional qualifications I have.

You seem to be a frustrated person, perhaps lowly educated, jealous of others perhaps.

Your posts don't add to the discussion rather they are like a flame thrower.

Please calm down and respect others, those that know more than you. I respect others whom I can learn from, why not try it once in a while, it won't hurt.

And yet you are constantly asking other posters what professional qualifications they possess and then refuse to engage with and belittle them when they don't.  As soon as you get proved wrong you either get abusive or disappear from the thread (I'm still waiting for you to provide evidence in another thread for your claim that Google sells email addresses).

This whole post, especially your last sentence, is hypocrisy at its best.

Seriously, what is your issue?  You're constantly asking people why they post on this site, but I'm confused as to why you post here.  If I visited a forum that got me as angry as you appear to get on here, I'd stop visiting it as it really isn't good for your health.

Your credibility here is shot I'm afraid.

• Reply 280 of 291
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,271member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

Is that seriously supposed to be a 'beautiful home screen'?

It's awful.

It wouldn't be my choice either, but maybe that's his point.