First look: Apple's latest iOS 7 beta debuts on iPad

Comments

• Reply 61 of 136
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    this looks a lot better on the big iPad screen.

Agreed. Those home screen icons are still ugly though.
  • Reply 62 of 136
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    city wrote: »
    Where's the $22 million Swiss Railway clock?

$29M. And I know, sucks that it was gone. I LOVED it.
  • Reply 63 of 136
    lanceh5lanceh5 Posts: 37member
    Most of this looks frail and sickly with some fatal disease. If my garden looked like this I would apply compost and fertilizer. I hope they do not screw up the satellite maps with stick drawings. Spindly, frail and sickly.
  • Reply 64 of 136
    curtis hannahcurtis hannah Posts: 1,833member
    ... That's Newsstand. It's built into the OS.
    And hopefully will merge however.

This seems exactly as expecpected.
  • Reply 65 of 136
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    512ke wrote: »
    Wow, those images do not look very pretty.  I sure hope it's more appealing in person.

Steve Jobs didn't give certain people broad power, and he didn't force certain other people to leave the company -- maybe he had a reason.

It was a balance between form and function.

It's so freaking depressing to own Apple shares.  Tanking sales of the flagship product.  Reports of people jumping ship.  Screen shots of iOS 7 that look, frankly, a little scary.  And no whisper of any new product on the horizon that could create new growth.

What the heck?

How can the company that ushered in the PC era, and the tablet era, be in a free fall?  And how, seemingly, can this have happened so quickly?

Correct me, please!  I so want to be wrong.  Thanks.

Steve didn't give certain people broad power? So what did he man then when he told Walter Isaacson that Ive had more operational power than anyone else and that no one could tell him what to do or to butt out because that was the way he (Steve) set it up? :\
  • Reply 66 of 136
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I love the looks of it.

But it looks like wailers and whiners (and the guys who are too vain to buy or wear a pair of reading glasses) are out in force again.... I fully hope and expect that Apple will simply ignore them.
    When has Apple not had haters with everything they do? I'm not passing judgement until it ships and I'm using it on my devices. Also I wouldn't be surprised if there are a few aesthetic UI changes before the fall. This is only the second beta and it probably won't ship until late September/early October. Right now what's most important is big fixes and making sure functionality is working properly.
  • Reply 67 of 136

Quote:

Originally Posted by jstinchcomb View Post

Apple has really fallen far from the mark with this new UI direction. It's no longer user friendly. It's like staring into a light bulb with all the bright white UIs. There's no longer any separation of elements and makes scanning the UI much harder than it was before. I was never a fan of the linen backdrops and the faux cowhide needed to go... but this is bad on so many levels it hurts. Jonathan Ives is an amazing hardware designer, but what works for hardware doesn't necessarily work for software. One button UIs? I'm worried we're witnessing Michael Jordan play baseball all over again, but this isn't baseball and Michael striking out couldn't sink a company. I'm scared.

More "concern" over Apple's future. You're really think iOS 7, which many people are praising, will sink Apple?

You forget that Microsoft is seemingly an unsinkable ship, despite taking on water for so many years. Windows Vista, Windows 8 is an even bigger failure, along with Bing, Windows RT, Zune, KIN ONE and KIN TWO, Office Ribbon Edition. Xbox RRoD Edition. Somehow, they stay afloat with Steve Ballmer at the helm. What makes you think Apple, which is sitting on a cash pile, is especially doomed?

• Reply 68 of 136
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    You whingers do know that no one is forcing you to update to iOS7 right?
  • Reply 69 of 136
    danielswdanielsw Posts: 906member

All these objections are ridiculous. If anyone can't see what Apple is doing with this new iOS design, any attempts to explain or defend it are wasted on them. I also suspect that a good number, if not most, of these sputterings are from people who were told to post that kind of crap--maybe even paid to do so.

To me, the design simply wants to "get out of the way" of the apps. It's clean, simple, and inviting.

I also love iRadio in iTunes. Glad to have it as part of the OS.

What's wrong with the keyboard? It pretty much duplicates the physical one. I like that.

I also really like the animated zoom segues between the home screen and each app. And the app switcher is MUCH better than the previous ones.

• Reply 70 of 136
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    512ke wrote: »
    It's so freaking depressing to own Apple shares.  Tanking sales of the flagship product.  Reports of people jumping ship.  Screen shots of iOS 7 that look, frankly, a little scary.  And no whisper of any new product on the horizon that could create new growth.

What the heck?

How can the company that ushered in the PC era, and the tablet era, be in a free fall?  And how, seemingly, can this have happened so quickly?

Correct me, please!  I so want to be wrong.
    I'd like to correct you but I really think you'd be better off just accepting that the world is coming to and end. Oh, and quick, chase those kids off your lawn.
  • Reply 71 of 136

What's about this new found love for sharp-cornered boxes? For example, the settings. Where have the rounded corners gone? Rounded corners would have been nicer. Even if the radius is small, rounded corners do give a smooth finish.

• Reply 72 of 136
    vl-tonevl-tone Posts: 337member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harmon View Post

Saw iOS 7 in person for the first time today ... not a big fan of the new look. Perhaps I'll change my mind, but I think there needs to be a "classic view" option for those that don't like the new look.

(1) Apple risks alienating their customers especially older customers, and I don't see them pulling a lot of new customers in just because of iOS 7's look. I fear there could be a Windows 8 like backlash.

(2) Part of the problem with iPhone's image is that so many people have one now it's no longer unique or cool. If everyone drove a Ferrari, it would still be an amazing car to drive, but no longer being unique would do serious damage to its coolness factor. Because of that Apple needs to allow for more options and customization both in hardware and software.

I don't think Apple should try to produce 20 different models like Samsung, but three different models (not just past generations) should be quite do-able a 5S, a lower cost 5 in multiple colors, and a top of line 5X or 6 with a larger screen and preferably at least some design tweaks to the 4/4S/5 look, if not a cosmetic overhaul, would be a good start.

On the software side, let iOS 7's new look be an option not a mandate. Keep a classic view and maybe a few more options too.

You can't have your cake and eat it too.

iOS 7's new design is exactly what Apple needed to enable them to release a bigger iPhone and/or a phablet.

It would take much more work for Apple and 3rd party devs to redo all the highly textured interface elements for each new phone/tablet version and would make apps needlessly bigger. Also, Apple has been pressuring devs to use the auto-layout APIs introduced in iOS 6, and iOS 7's new interface relies a lot on it. iOS 7 will force devs to rework their UI code anyway, and auto-layout APIs will help them greatly when making apps that have to be backward compatible with iOS 6.

Microsoft and Google didn't go for a textureless interface in Windows 8 and Android just because they thought it looked cool and modern. They had to do it because they intended to support a wide variety of screen sizes.

• Reply 73 of 136
    Looks good. I will pass my judgement after I have used the interface for a month or so...
  • Reply 74 of 136
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanielSW View Post

All these objections are ridiculous.

Abre los ojos

• Reply 75 of 136
    jozsoojozsoo Posts: 39member

Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds, The Beatles

• Reply 76 of 136
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I don't see what the point of this kind of design trickery.  

It replicates the 3D shelves with gradients and squares, but the shelves are still there.  If the shelves are still there, why not just let them be shelves?  Why try to pretend that they aren't there when they obviously are?  

I hated the old wooden shelves, but while these are more attractive, WHY DO WE NEED VIRTUAL SHELVES AT ALL?  

Why not just a simple grid of book covers, just like iTunes grid of album covers?  F*ck the shelves.  

Well, they could introduce categorie lines (like the itunes movie store) so we could organize the newsstand. If we could title the lines then there is added functionnality. Flat interface doesnt means everything needs to be in 2D.  With Jon Ive I fear Apple may over do it. Well the albums 3D effects gives me hope.

Anyway I still like the new look.

• Reply 77 of 136
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

Quote:

Originally Posted by VL-Tone View Post

You can't have your cake and eat it too.

iOS 7's new design is exactly what Apple needed to enable them to release a bigger iPhone and/or a phablet.

It would take much more work for Apple and 3rd party devs to redo all the highly textured interface elements for each new phone/tablet version and would make apps needlessly bigger. Also, Apple has been pressuring devs to use the auto-layout APIs introduced in iOS 6, and iOS 7's new interface relies a lot on it. iOS 7 will force devs to rework their UI code anyway, and auto-layout APIs will help them greatly when making apps that have to be backward compatible with iOS 6.

Microsoft and Google didn't go for a textureless interface in Windows 8 and Android just because they thought it looked cool and modern. They had to do it because they intended to support a wide variety of screen sizes.

Good point, especially if this makes it to the Apple TV.

• Reply 78 of 136
    Georgeous
  • Reply 79 of 136

Quote:

Originally Posted by daveinpublic View Post

Looking good image I like the colorful feel, shows off the beautiful screens on apple devices. Plus, the change is nice.

Agreed! I'm going to get the white iP5s and a white iPad mini. I think iOS7 is fresh, clean and more elegant than iOS6. I love it. 

• Reply 80 of 136
    ruel24ruel24 Posts: 432member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

And here come all the design experts to tell us how Apple got it all wrong. Next we'll get the Tim needs to bring back Scott Forstall pronto or Apple is doomed posts...

Let's see, when a designer designs something, and the public rejects it, then the designer is a failure. Am I missing something? If a designer came into your house and did a gaudy job, in your opinion, you don't have a right to complain because you're not a design expert? Fail...