Galaxy S 4 on steroids: Samsung caught doping in benchmarks

Comments

• Reply 81 of 153
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    Slow clap Samsung. Good job.
  • Reply 82 of 153
    rjc999 wrote: »
    It's Quack.exe all over again. Newsflash, people try to cheat in benchmarks, they've been doing it for a long time, and Beyond3D has been a community at the forefront of catching GPU cheaters.

Apple is guilty of cherry picking benchmarks themselves. There's no evidence of boosting (although it's a bit harder to analyze iOS firmware internals), but Apple classically cherry picks benchmarks presented at MacWorlds and WWDCs to make their products look better, by specifically avoiding benchmarks where they do very badly. For example, in Web Browser benchmarks, they run selectively, a single benchmark, either JSBench or Sun Spider, depending on, at that particular time, whether they are doing better, unlike say, AnandTech which runs Kraken, Octane, Dromaeo, et al.

They also have a habit of selectively omitting information in order to make things seem more innovative than they are, like Timer Coalescing in Mavericks, a feature which has been in Windows and Linux for *years* before Mavericks. Late to the party, but trumped up like something hugely innovative on their part.
    Ph.D in computer science or Ph.D in troll?
  • Reply 83 of 153
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeJones View Post

This wasn't about cherry-picking the benchmarks. It was about lying and cheating at the benchmarks which as you state there is no proof Apple does. But you've still gotta try to find a way to smear them anyway, right?

Yes, Windows has had Timer Coalescing since Windows 7, but it also requires that applications specifically opt-in for it according to this whitepaper on the subject. Mavericks does not so that makes it a more useful. Either way both Windows and Linux have only really had Timer coalescing for a handful of years. You make it sound like they've had it for much longer which simply isn't true. Also, innovation is more than simply doing something first. It is also about taking existing ideas and doing them in a much better way than anyone before you.

It is simply not true that allowing application opt in/out makes timer coalesing less useful. Mavericks also allows applications to opt out. 

• Reply 84 of 153
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Selva Raj View Post

Ph.D in computer science or Ph.D in troll?

Neither. Someone with a PhD in comp. sci. would not really care about such benchmarks. A PhD in troll would be more skilled, and not so easily detectable.

• Reply 85 of 153
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by QAMF View Post

THE CLOCK RATE MAXES AT 480 INSTEAD OF 533.  NOT 300 LIKE APPLEINSIDER IS CLAIMING.

is it bad still, yes.  But not as bad as they are saying.

Probably because almost all companies do this in one way or another.

Why?  Almost every company does this for different benchmarks?  This would be like telling you family to avoid Intel because they do tons of optimizations when they run their benchmarks for their claims?

No, it does not.  The chip runs at 533Mhz (well, 532 according to anandtech) during some benchmarks.  Otherwise it caps at 480Mhz.

There is nothing that talks about the specifications on the feature page, and the fine print would take care of it.

You technically can get the GPU to hit the rate they provided, just not in a useful manner.

No.  At least, I don't see what it would be about.

You can still hit that clock rate, you just cannot do it in a useful manner.

-QAMF

Don't care and will now ignore you.

I am not interested in apologists for Samsung's bullshit.

Samsung, ruthlessly crushing any competition.

HTC and others don't stand a chance.

• Reply 86 of 153
    mikejonesmikejones Posts: 323member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

It is simply not true that allowing application opt in/out makes timer coalesing less useful. Mavericks also allows applications to opt out. 

Having to explicitly opt-in to timer coalescing does make it less useful because many applications will never opt-in for a variety of reasons (major one being that you are running an application written before the feature ever existed and may never be updated to opt-in to the feature) and thus will never take advantage of it. The fact that you can take advantage of timer coalescing without an opt-in does make it more useful on Mavericks. The part about opting-out seems to be something you invented from whole cloth and seems to be some sort of strawman you're beating.

Edited to add:

And the opt-out you are talking about is for App Nap not Timer Coalescing. They are not the same thing.

• Reply 87 of 153
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member

Nonsense.

With Apple's method, you'll get the benefit immediately. With Microsoft's method, you need to upgrade your apps and manually allow it in order to get ANY benefit. How is Apple's method not more useful?
  • Reply 88 of 153

a

• Reply 89 of 153
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aaron Watson View Post

What a bunch of hypocrites you all are. I bet you wouldnt dare to talk shit about apple, you were all the first to defend when apple was guilty of price fixing and could possibly be fined 500 mill, or foxconn workers suiciding because of poor working conditions. Pathetic. Wow, defending multi billion dollar companies that don't give a shit about you.

Apple insider, why don't you grow a pair and adopt professional journalism? Do you see android central talking shit about apple? This site is a joke.

Now, that you've got that out of your system why don't you f*ck off to whichever shitty android site you prefer?

Samsung is faking these things to mislead you, the only Android handset they want you to buy is a Samsung one.

They are killing alternative manufacturers and will do anything to achieve that.

• Reply 90 of 153
    What a bunch of hypocrites you all are. I bet you wouldnt dare to talk shit about apple, you were all the first to defend when apple was guilty of price fixing and could possibly be fined 500 mill, or foxconn workers suiciding because of poor working conditions. Pathetic. Wow, defending multi billion dollar companies that don't give a shit about you.

Apple insider, why don't you grow a pair and adopt professional journalism? Do you see android central talking shit about apple? This site is a joke.

U MAD BRO?

This site may be a joke, but at least you can't deny the truth about Samsung's dishonesty: and they will never live it down. Hate on Apple and DED all you want, but in the end, Samsung did this to themselves.
  • Reply 91 of 153

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Nonsense.

With Apple's method, you'll get the benefit immediately. With Microsoft's method, you need to upgrade your apps and manually allow it in order to get ANY benefit. How is Apple's method not more useful?

Because he has no clue what he is talking about. His second part about the "opt-out" isn't even correct as the opt-out he is referring to is for the App Nap feature not timer coalescing.

• Reply 92 of 153
    rjc999rjc999 Posts: 69member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

Neither. Someone with a PhD in comp. sci. would not really care about such benchmarks. A PhD in troll would be more skilled, and not so easily detectable.

You could say I have so much experience trolling that I have an "equivalent" to a Masters Degree in Trolling. ;-)

What I use at home: 2 iPads, 2 iPad minis, Retina MacBook, Mac Pro (old model), 2 Apple TVs, and a PC for desktop gaming. I have an Apple household, I love Apple products, but I hate the conduct of Apple zealots, and I dislike Apple's resort to litigiousness because I am in favor of openness, copying, hacking, and freedom overall, and I do not like the growing way our use of computing is becoming more locked down, more censored and controlled by carriers, governments, and OS vendors. 

To quote Samuel L Jackson, the sheep need to wake the f-up, and stop mindlessly engaging in tribalism and defense of a company with $100+ billion in the bank. They need to demand better.

• Reply 93 of 153
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member

Quote:

Originally Posted by b9bot View Post

Samsung is such a tool. It copies everyones tech and cheats every way it can to try and impress nobody.

Lame!image

"It" puts the lotion on "its" skin otherwise it gets the hose again. image  But seriously, the only less ethical company I know of was Enron.

• Reply 94 of 153
    wonkothesanewonkothesane Posts: 1,717member
    jragosta wrote: »
    It probably won't generate a lawsuit because Samsung doesn't advertise the results of that particular benchmark. They let their shills do it for them.

Paid ones, I suppose.

Sigh.

I see your point.
  • Reply 95 of 153
    ochymingochyming Posts: 474member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aaron Watson View Post

Really?
    How much you was paid?

• Reply 96 of 153
    Apologist position #1: "Everyone cheats on benchmarks!"

Apologist position #2: "DED is so desperate to attack Apple's competitors that he comes across as an unprofessional fanboy this site is a joke"

Did I miss one?
  • Reply 97 of 153

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ochyming View Post

Really?How much you was paid?

If it was more than nothing it was way too much.

• Reply 98 of 153

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Apologist position #1: "Everyone cheats on benchmarks!"

Apologist position #2: "DED is so desperate to attack Apple's competitors that he comes across as an unprofessional fanboy this site is a joke"

Did I miss one?

There's a few great ones in this thread. The Fandroid defense army is out in full force today.

• Reply 99 of 153
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member

Quote:

Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

Yes, both are essentially worthless except for when they're not.  On that I agree.

Now, that's a worthless comment (unless it's not).

• Reply 100 of 153
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

See, the reason Samsung over clocked the benchmarks is because Android is open and most users will over clock their S4s too, so it is more representative of the performance one can expect once your S4 is properly over clocked. /s

How's that?

http://www.android.gs/overclock-t-mobile-galaxy-s4/