Samsung clone of Apple's Passbook hits Google Play for some Galaxy devices

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 97
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

So you think people should buy a new iPhone and iPad every year?

I'll clarify the point he's making. He's saying that those who think they get to complain about a device not getting some of the capabilities of software released a year hence need to just buy new hardware every year.

Do you think it's kind of contradictory to make a device that's built to last but then turn around and stop supporting that very device a year or two later?

It would be, were that even the case.

• Reply 82 of 97
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    philboogie wrote: »
    Personally I think that with each software update people should update their hardware as well; when you bought the hardware it came with software which was designed specifically for that device. Some people expect they can use their hardware for the years to come, to which I agree. But don't expect after installing a major software update that the hardware will simply 'continue to keep up'.

So you think people should buy a new iPhone and iPad every year? Do you think it's kind of contradictory to make a device that's built to last but then turn around and stop supporting that very device a year or two later?

The device will keep on working with the software it came with, apps that were designed for the software that came with the hardware. Sure, it's nice that we get software updates, but don't expect that will work for years to come, many new features require new hardware.

Why do you think there was an outcry when people updated their XP box to Vista? Yep, the hardware couldn't keep up.
  • Reply 83 of 97
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member

Do you think it's a double standard to say that Apple shouldn't have to support outdated hardware with the latest software but then fault Android for taking the same path?

• Reply 84 of 97
    droidftw wrote: »
    Do you think it's a double standard to say that Apple shouldn't have to support outdated hardware with the latest software but then fault Android for taking the same path?

Short answer: devices running Android are outdated the moment you leave the store. Apple so far seems to have a yearly update cycle.
  • Reply 85 of 97
    Also, Android software comes from a company aimed at getting rich from selling advertisement space. The hardware comes from different manufacturers, so the end user is left between, well, between a Google and a hard place.
  • Reply 86 of 97
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    droidftw wrote: »

Every idevice Apple sells currently has the current iOS 6. You cant say the same for every Android device with respect to Android 4.x.
  • Reply 87 of 97
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    It would be, were that even the case.

It most certainly is the case with the 4th gen iPod Touch I bought in December. It's one generation behind and it won't be getting iOS 7.
  • Reply 88 of 97
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

It most certainly is the case with the 4th gen iPod Touch I bought in December. It's one generation behind and it won't be getting iOS 7.

You keep saying things. Maybe know what the words mean first? It's still supported by Apple (support), and it falls within the arbitrary framework you outlined to begin with.

It came out in 2010. How many more years beyond 2010 is 2013? I'm sure you can manage that.

• Reply 89 of 97
    d4njvrzfd4njvrzf Posts: 797member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Every idevice Apple sells currently has the current iOS 6. You cant say the same for every Android device with respect to Android 4.x.

That's true but functionally there are different variants of iOS 6 depending on the device. The situation would be analogous to shipping every android device with Android 4.2 but disabling key features like Google Now on a broad swath of devices; those devices would be running Android 4.2 but really in name only.

iOS devices are much better than Android devices at keeping up with the latest OS version. But Google does compensate somewhat by decoupling features from the core OS and backporting them to older Android releases. For instance, all devices running Android 2.2+ recently got find-my-phone. And essential programs like Chrome and Maps are updated through Google Play instead of tied to OS releases.

• Reply 90 of 97
    The device will keep on working with the software it came with, apps that were designed for the software that came with the hardware. Sure, it's nice that we get software updates, but don't expect that will work for years to come, many new features require new hardware.

Why do you think there was an outcry when people updated their XP box to Vista? Yep, the hardware couldn't keep up.

Actually they outcry came from those that updated to the god awful Vista. It's not actually the OS that concerns me it's the apps. We've already know that 50% of developers will require iOS 7, correct me if I'm wrong but that would mean that anyone with a older device will not be able to update those apps and if for whatever reason they need to wipe their device they will not be able to reinstall those apps.
  • Reply 91 of 97
    You keep saying things. Maybe know what the words mean first? It's still supported by Apple (support), and it falls within the arbitrary framework you outlined to begin with.

It came out in 2010. How many more years beyond 2010 is 2013? I'm sure you can manage that.

You're correct I should've been more clear, I meant supported with updates. Regardless of when it came out it's still only one generation behind, and furthermore why did it take 3 years for a product refresh? Why no incremental speed bumps like the S versions of iPhones?
  • Reply 92 of 97
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Actually they outcry came from those that updated to the god awful Vista. It's not actually the OS that concerns me it's the apps. We've already know that 50% of developers will require iOS 7, correct me if I'm wrong but that would mean that anyone with a older device will not be able to update those apps and if for whatever reason they need to wipe their device they will not be able to reinstall those apps.

As I understood it, the outcry came from people complaining their PC became very slow. And that's what happens when you update te software but not the hardware. Look, we're all very happy to get software updates, new features, better security and all that.

One part is the new features. Sometimes they implement things that only run on the latest hardware. Now we can complain about getting a major software update, for free, but missing out on a few features that were designed for the latest hardware, but they make it clear what version runs on which hardware.

We should be grateful that the software upgrade usually is free, or a small fee. I believe MS only charges like a 100 bucks for a Windows upgrade. Seems reasonable, you'll get a whole 'new PC'. And no, I'm not being sarcastic here.

The slow upgrade on the iPod touch? I really don't know.
  • Reply 93 of 97
    As I understood it, the outcry came from people complaining their PC became very slow. And that's what happens when you update te software but not the hardware. Look, we're all very happy to get software updates, new features, better security and all that.

Not only just slow but in trying to mimic Apple's security they over did it and the permission requests came up for just about anything.
  • Reply 94 of 97

buy Cheap Apple Imac

Ipad mini

Apple ipad 2

Apple Ipad 3rd

Apple iphone 4s

Apple iphone 5  just $300usd

Apple ipod touch 4th Generation

Apple macbook

Dell Alienware

Nokia Mobile Phone

Samsung galaxy s4 on sale

YOU MUST NOT MISS IT!!! 

• Reply 95 of 97

buy Cheap Apple Imac

Ipad mini

Apple ipad 2

Apple Ipad 3rd

Apple iphone 4s

Apple iphone 5  just $300usd

Apple ipod touch 4th Generation

Apple macbook

Dell Alienware

Nokia Mobile Phone

Samsung galaxy s4 on sale

YOU MUST NOT MISS IT!!! 

• Reply 96 of 97
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    nikilok wrote: »
    Sheesh the state of Google play is funny.
    You ll find apps on there that isn't compatible with your handset even if it's the latest and greatest flagship HTC phone, coz it's made to run on Samsung phones. So eventually you'll end up seeing 25 different passbook apps from every other vendor.

You only see the apps that are compatible with your device so that won't happen.
  • Reply 97 of 97