Apple to introduce next iPhone at Sept. 10 media event

Comments

• Reply 101 of 166
    g-note wrote: »
    I wonder if Mavericks will be released or if it will be later in the fall with the iPads

I have a feeling Mavericks and Mac Pro will come together … October maybe?

It could come earlier -- Except for a few UI quirks in DP5 the OS is solid.
  • Reply 102 of 166
    One thing to consider for all the upcoming product announcements is the calendar -- the Apple Fiscal Calendar.

Apple' fiscal year ends in September. They typically like to release new high-volume products about a week before the quarter end. It gives their "overall" performance a bump and provides positive data to discuss at the earnings call...

Also, October is the start of what, historically, is Apple's biggest quarter, the Christmas/Holiday quarter.

With that said, I could see the following schedule for a September Apple Harvest.

Sep 10 -- iPhone 5S and iPhone 5C (iPhone 5 carryover) -- all Lightening

Sep 17 -- iPad Mini Retina (iPhone Mini carryover) -- all Lightening

Sept 24 -- iPad 5 (iPad 4 carryover) -- all Lightening

They could also do some Mac, MacBook and Mac Pro releases -- but they don't need to, and these could easily wait until October.

[SIZE=6][B]     • PEERLESS

• PROGNOSTICATIONS [SIZE=4][I]OF[/I][/SIZE]

• PROJECTED [SIZE=4][I]NEW[/I][/SIZE]

• PRODUCT

• PRESENTATIONS

[SIZE=5] --- POO POO PEE DOO ---[/SIZE]
    [/B][/SIZE]
  • Reply 103 of 166

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harry Wild View Post

What about the iPad Mini Retina?

I gave up on it. That's why I decided to go ahead and order a mini now. Should be here next week. 

• Reply 104 of 166
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    slurpy wrote: »
    Holy shit. That's pretty soon. I definitely expected later, because of iOS7, and the assumption that it needs more time in the oven based on the numerous changes still being implemented in each beta. I really hope it's ready for primetime when its released.

They can still ship new phone with iOS6.X and update to 7 when available - I'm pretty sure it happened in the past.

I like the concept design as shown on top image (slightly curved, soft edged back). Regardless of how good and modern flat/edgy design of iP4/4S/5 looks, I always find 3Gs more comfortable in hand. With something like that, I think I'd be more encouraged to replace my still in use 3Gs with new iPhone.
  • Reply 105 of 166
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    gwmac wrote: »
    When not if Apple release a larger iPhone I can't wait to see how quickly a few here will pretend they never said it won't or shouldn't happen. Funny how it is the same group who swore that 3.5" was the perfect size and would not be altered before the iPhone 5 came out. It was also the same group who thought there would never be an iPad Mini. 

If Apple want to remain relevant they have no choice but to branch out with different screen sizes and price points. Even though I hate the word Phablet it is now about a $50 billion market. Why would Apple ignore that much money? Tim Cook already told us in as many words that it is coming once they don't need to make certain compromises or "tradeoffs". I think he made those comments simply to not look like a copycat once one is released. 

Who said 3.5" was perfect?

$50 billion market? So that's 100 million phablets shipped assuming avp of $500. Surely you're blowing smoke. Outside of Sammy, who else is making money of these devices.

Apple isn't ignoring it but it won't release an inferior product just to get market share. Don't get me wrong, I believe Apple will do one but it'll be released when it's ready.
  • Reply 106 of 166
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    … We don't know that Apple IS doing it. 

See, this is what happens when titles are typed as fact.

We don't? The question was why Apple splits up iDevice launches. Since they almost always launch iPads at a different time then iPhones, then they most certainly HAVE been doing it.

Unless you think that someone else is responsible for Apple's product release dates.
  • Reply 107 of 166
    glubengluben Posts: 21member
    Apple very much needs one. Though I think one more year won't hurt them too badly. You really do underestimate the number of current iPhone owners who love the iPhone and iOS but are salivating at the prospect of a larger display. These people will not wait forever and will eventually venture over to Android. Not to mention current Android owners who cite the display size as their #1 reason for choosing the phone. These people are lost to Apple until there is a larger iPhone.

As far as a source, look at the sales of larger screened phones which together outsell the iPhone. The iPhone might still beat them individually in sales but as a group the number of phones with displays larger that  4.5" passed total iPhone sales 2 years ago and the gap is widening. 

This link is from September 2012 and the gap is much wider nearly a year later. People want larger displays. Why is that so hard for some of you to understand or fathom?
    http://techcrunch.com/2012/09/03/android-smartphone-sales-led-by-big-screens-are-growing-everywhere-except-in-the-u-s-kantar/

I don't. More than 4" is too big for my hand. If I want a bigger display, I'll get an iPad mini or an iPad.

The only way would be if the iPhone 5 hardware remained the same but the screen stretched to the bottom and encompassed the Home button, eliminating the physical one.

It's interesting that, to me, as a UK citizen, phones were so much bigger in the 1980s, then the obsession turned to having tinier phones at the turn of the millennium, and now it's reverted!

Also, many forum members living in the US or who keep their eyes on this news are not really the general public that Apple aims for. I work for a local council and the type of "demographic" (I hate using that word) that live near me are only just coming round to touchscreen devices. At the council, people are still used to Windows XP! They would probably find an iPhone 4 plenty to be getting on with, let alone a 5" screen phone.
  • Reply 108 of 166
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    Marvin wrote: »
    I'm not sure if this was posted in earlier threads but there's another video here of a plastic case, this time the green one:

[VIDEO]

I thought green would be a pretty bad color but it has a softer matte appearance in the video when he's holding it up and he mentions an oleophobic coating on the back (3:20).

This would have to be the least informed tech reviewer on the planet.

OLEOPHOBIC means "oil hating". The coating apple uses is there to repel greasy fingerprints. Putting water on it proves nothing except that you don't understand what oleophobic means. If it repels water it is HYDROPHOBIC. As in the opposite of oleophobic. Like most plastics.

He also says he hopes Apple doesn't release a cheaper iPhone (because cheaper would obviously mean terrible) while at the same time commenting on how nice the fit and finish is. Maybe Apple's experience with the iPod lineup means they are smarter than you and know how to market a premium product within a cheaper category.
  • Reply 109 of 166
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    No in reality I have an iPhone 5 and have used a HTC One, a HTC DNA, and a Samsung Galaxy S4 and found reading text far easier on the larger displays. Especially in games like Modern War where the text is tiny it can be very hard to read on the iPhone but very easy to read on larger phones. The same applies to other apps with fixed font sizes for menu and GUI type app specific fonts. You are promoting your preference and personal bias onto other people instead of admitting that many current iPhone owners like me reluctantly chose an iPhone because they like iOS and the Apple ecosystem but would much rather have a larger display. And exactly how would it harm or effect you in any way if they made a larger iPhone alongside the current 4" model?   

I'm curious what you consider the upper limit for a mobile phone display should be.

Should phones always get bigger or should we stop when we can no longer operate them one handed? Or no longer fit them in a pocket? Or no longer carry them? Where would you draw the line?

For text legibility display size is generally less important than display resolution. If I need something bigger than 3.5" but still portable I use my iPad 3.

Never underestimate the harm that can be caused by fragmentation. Apple have worked very hard to minimise the number of screen resolutions in their ecosystem. This is the main reason iOS has a higher calibre of app development than android. I think we may well be in for larger screen sizes in the future but it needs to be done in a coordinated way not just "bam here's an odd screen size for you developers to grapple with".
  • Reply 110 of 166
    apple ][ wrote: »
    Hell yeah! I just bought some Apple stock on Friday, what good timing! Bring it on! :D

Daddy wants a new Mac Pro maybe.:smokey:

You should'a bought AAPL on Thursday -- the ex-dividend date!

Unfortunately, there's usually never an arbitrage opportunity in these sorts of trades with heavily traded stocks like Apple's..... the market prices it in before and after the ex-D date. Unless you knew something about a change in Apple's payout policy (in which case, it would be illegal).
  • Reply 111 of 166
    nikon133 wrote: »
    They can still ship new phone with iOS6.X and update to 7 when available - I'm pretty sure it happened in the past.

If it did, it was rare.

If iOS 7 was due in roughly the same time frame as the iPhone 5S (or whatever new phones are released), why in the world would they go to the trouble of debugging and testing the phone with an earlier version? Apple does an enormous amount of testing for new products and it would be silly to put that effort forward for a phone which is going to have an upgrade in just a few weeks. It would be far more reasonable to hold off on the release for a short time - which is what has normally happened in the past.

In fact, there have often been new OS versions that came out with a new phone or Mac - Apple doesn't want to be limited by the capabilities of the previous OS when releasing new hardware if they can avoid it.
  • Reply 112 of 166
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

I'm curious what you consider the upper limit for a mobile phone display should be.

Should phones always get bigger or should we stop when we can no longer operate them one handed? Or no longer fit them in a pocket? Or no longer carry them? Where would you draw the line?

For text legibility display size is generally less important than display resolution. If I need something bigger than 3.5" but still portable I use my iPad 3.

Never underestimate the harm that can be caused by fragmentation. Apple have worked very hard to minimise the number of screen resolutions in their ecosystem. This is the main reason iOS has a higher calibre of app development than android. I think we may well be in for larger screen sizes in the future but it needs to be done in a coordinated way not just "bam here's an odd screen size for you developers to grapple with".

They have two screen sizes now with the iPhone 5 at 4" and the 4S and 4 at 3.5" so all I am saying is to keep the two options but at 4" and anywhere between 4.7" and 5" for the second option. 

As far as the upper limit for me, I think 5" with 1920*1080 would be perfect for me and much easier on my eyes and still very portable. The Galaxy S4 and HTC One both fit very easily in my pocket and viewing content was so much nicer. Whenever I use my iPad for a while I have quite a shock when I grab my iPhone. The shock is not that bad when looking at my iPhone 5 next to a Galaxy S4 but close. 

• Reply 113 of 166
    This doesn't sound like an important upgrade at all. Especially sad that the screensize is still the same!
  • Reply 114 of 166
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by heinrichz View Post

This doesn't sound like an important upgrade at all. Especially sad that the screensize is still the same!

Thanks for your "concern".

• Reply 115 of 166
    heinrichz wrote: »

They said that about the iPhone 4S, too. They were wrong then, as well - virtually every component in the phone was upgraded in some way. You have no idea how big an upgrade the iPhone 5S (or whatever they call it) will be. You see, unlike Android users, iPhone users are smart enough to realize that there's more to a phone than screen size.
  • Reply 116 of 166

I have to throw my hat in with those who think the current screen size is pretty much perfect for a phone. I understand the points being made about consuming content on a larger screen, but I've never had a problem web browsing and, if I want to play games, I'm much more likely to pick up the ipad.

The idea of a larger phone doesn't horrify me, but it's a valid point about Apple's deliberate restriction of the variety of different screen sizes - makes it easier for the app developers to keep everything working with everything.

Either way, exciting news/rumour! Can't wait to hear more and find out if this fingerprint scanner will make it out for this release.

• Reply 117 of 166

Quote:

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

My predictions

Finally the coup de gråce will be the Qualcomm RF360 which will allow Apple to only need to make one iPhone model for all countries and carriers around the world instead of the 3 or 4 needed now. Once these products are released Apple will be set for a good decade.

Well said! :)

• Reply 118 of 166
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by fdavidn View Post

How about an iPad mini with a phone?

I wish they'd do this.  Now *that* would actually be an innovative and transformative product.  Shake up the industry a bit too. 

I think they are too sacred to do this kind of thing at Apple nowadays.  They play ball with the "big boys" and don't want to rock the boat. 

• Reply 119 of 166
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Hmm. When was the last time Apple shared a product launch with another company?

Intel was in San Francisco last year at the same time and Apple had their iPod/Phone/Pad event. Apple was at Yerba Buena last year so I expect the same, as you mentioned. Intel = Moscone, Apple = Yerba.

AllThingsD also says multiple events:

http://www.cultofmac.com/239840/apple-to-unveil-next-iphone-on-september-10th/
    dunks wrote:
    The coating apple uses is there to repel greasy fingerprints. Putting water on it proves nothing except that you don't understand what oleophobic means. If it repels water it is HYDROPHOBIC. As in the opposite of oleophobic. Like most plastics.

I hope companies start using this sort of coating:

[VIDEO]

That's the kind of stuff they use to show completely waterproof iPhones:

[VIDEO]

With laptops covered in that, you'd never have to worry about spilling drinks on them. Maybe the coating would wear off the electrical ports quite quickly but it should help prevent some accidents. It would be great on car windows - no more need for wipers.
  • Reply 120 of 166
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

My predictions

iPhone 5C 16GB Free on Contract or $449 with no subsidy

iPhone 5C  32GB $99 on Contract or $549 with no subsidy

iPhone 5S 32GB $199 on contract & $649 no subsidy

iPhone 5S 64GB $299 on contract & $749 no subsidy

iPhone 5S 128GB $399 on contract & $849 no subsidy

This makes no sense to me.  You are saying that the new iPhone 5s (the good one with the new parts and the fingerprint sensor will essentially be a hundred bucks cheaper, while at the same time saying the iPhone 5C (the iPhone "cheapo") will be more expensive than the current "cheap" iPhone options.  

It makes more sense to me to say that the iPhone 5s will stay the same price as each year's iPhone has always been, and that the iPhone 5C will actually be more like $350, and $450.  

I think the very fact that we've seen so many leaks of this back case for the iPhone 5C means that they are expecting huge volume and are testing the capability to make them by the millions in a very short time period.  Rapid, cheaper manufacturing seems to be key to the new product.  If they are expecting to sell so many of them so fast, I think the price will be a lot lower than many people are expecting.