Apple's new gold option for 'iPhone 5S' described as an 'elegant' shade of champagne

Comments

• Reply 41 of 112

Quote:

Originally Posted by jetlaw View Post

If this is true, I would make it "Exhibit A" in the case that Apple is losing is its design sensibilities.

I would make your statement "exhibit A" that you do not understand the meaning of design sensibility. :)

• Reply 42 of 112

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

No way do I see Apple getting rid of the black iPhone. I'm sure they learned a lot in the manufacturing of the iPhone 5 that they can apply to the new phones. Does the slate iPad mini suffer the same scuffing issues?

No. But there are good reasons for that.

• Reply 43 of 112
    notscottnotscott Posts: 247member
    jetlaw wrote: »
    If this is true, I would make it "Exhibit A" in the case that Apple is losing is its design sensibilities.

No, that would be last year's iPods.
  • Reply 44 of 112
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,123member

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

Just make me buy the damned thing... something that makes my 4s just melt into a pool of disgusting grey market goo in my hands during the announcement.  

I came from the iP4, then got the iP5.  Love it.  However, I'm still a fan of the all-glass design that the iP4x have.  The metal is nice, but like Steve Jobs said about the iP4 when it was introduced.  "It's like a beautiful old Leica camera".  I like the heft and the durability (scratch-proof) that the iP4 had.  It just felt good in my hand.  My iP5 is so light, I feel like I'm going to bend it when I'm going to pull it out of my jeans sometimes.

Give me an iP5S or iP6 in an iP4 chassis and I'll have my money in hand. :)

• Reply 45 of 112

My wife has a 2010 Volkswagen that is a champagne/gold color and it's a really beautiful car...in some light it looks more silver or opalescent. I don't see anything wrong with this as a color option. I'm told in China this is a VERY popular color...I wouldn't be surprised to learn that Apple and China Mobile have come to an agreement and this phone is more or less aimed at the Asian market.

• Reply 46 of 112
    jakebjakeb Posts: 563member
    It's not for me personally, but I think it looks great. It's subtly golden in color. I wouldn't even call it gold exactly. Just a vaguely warm metallic.
  • Reply 47 of 112
    jakebjakeb Posts: 563member
    Also, I bet anyone that they've improved the anodizing process. The 5s is going to be more scuff resistant.
  • Reply 48 of 112
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,810member

Even with a new color there will likely be less SKU's than currently since they will likely use a radio that will work on all bands all over the world regardless if they use CDMA/GSM/FD-LTE/TD-LTE. Currently they have to make 3 maybe 4 different iPhone models which adds up when you take into account they have to do this for each 16/32/64GB models. 

This all assumes they will use the new Qualcomm RF360 or similar which is not guaranteed by any means but does seem plausible given the timing and cost as well as battery savings. 

• Reply 49 of 112
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    Its plane,
    No, its a bird,
    No, it Superphone,

Who the frak cares really, still have to put a case around it
  • Reply 50 of 112
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul94544 View Post

Its plane, No, its a bird, No, it Superphone, Who the frak cares really, still have to put a case around it

I've had my black iP5 since launch day with no case, and it doesn't have a scratch on it.

Just don't put it into a pocket with anything else, and don't be a klutz with a $600 object.

• Reply 51 of 112

Why not have the iphone any colour you want and have it now? But if it's gold you want try here:

http://www.truevalue.com/product/12-oz-Pure-Gold-Metallic-Spray-Paint/47036.uts

• Reply 52 of 112
    rogifan wrote: »
    I have a sister who would buy this in a heartbeat. I have a nephew who has an iPhone and uses a gold case. MG Siegler said gold is one of the most popular after market color options for the iPhone. If Apple is releasing a gold/champagne iPhone there's a reason behind it and they've done their homework on it. All the people that think this is going to be some cheap gaudy looking device obviously don't know Apple.

9to5Mac has a nice mockup of what a champagne colored iPhone might look like. I think it looks very classy.

gold.jpg

Cheap and gaudy? I think it looks pretty slick but apple is definitely capable of a cheap look. Just take a gander at the ios7 home screen. The apps are amazing but the icons are an embarrassment. They remind me of a child's toy phone. Apple does a lot of things right but the look of iOS7 could cause people to not upgrade to that OS, leave iPhone, or not buy one in the first place. If someone has never used an iPhone before and sees a gold device with cartoonish icons then they'll likely opt for an inferior product such as a Samsung or other copycat- I mean, competitor.
  • Reply 53 of 112
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member

Wasn't there a phat Nano or Shuffle that used similar pastel colorways?

• Reply 54 of 112
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    Before someone screams "Steve would never do this!!!," it's not the first time Apple used nonstandard color options to spur interest.

I'm remided of the Flower Power / Blue Dalmation iMacs.
  • Reply 55 of 112

Quote:

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

Even with a new color there will likely be less SKU's than currently since they will likely use a radio that will work on all bands all over the world regardless if they use CDMA/GSM/FD-LTE/TD-LTE. Currently they have to make 3 maybe 4 different iPhone models which adds up when you take into account they have to do this for each 16/32/64GB models. 

This all assumes they will use the new Qualcomm RF360 or similar which is not guaranteed by any means but does seem plausible given the timing and cost as well as battery savings. 

key point... 

SKU (more configuration) compressing is always something to consider in Apple's world.  Every language and memory config drives a SKU, but if there are only 3 colors wrapping around 2 phones (x 3 mem configs)[18], that's better than 2 colors wrapping 4(x 3mem configs) phones[24].  Less testing variance, less government/carrier certification, smaller supply chain, bigger volume discounts. 

also a reason for them to consider retiring the 5 for the 5c  (universal radio), and keep the 4s around (because, there are some organizations/carriers that actually 'require' a particular configuration, and if the 4s is already certified, they can keep it around a bit longer, since they know it works.  Yes, the 5 could do the same, but I'm thinking 30-pin connector (hey... Gov't contracts... gotta support a contracted HW config for 5-7 years).

• Reply 56 of 112
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member

Quote:

Originally Posted by GQB View Post

I've had my black iP5 since launch day with no case, and it doesn't have a scratch on it.

Just don't put it into a pocket with anything else, and don't be a klutz with a $600 object.

So you have a pocket reserved just for your iPhone? All the time? Hmmm- OK. I guess whatever works for you. Your other pocket must be bulging then -no?

• Reply 57 of 112
    The Man with the Golden iPhone (Solar-plex)
  • Reply 58 of 112

Quote:

Originally Posted by gordy View Post

Before someone screams "Steve would never do this!!!," it's not the first time Apple used nonstandard color options to spur interest.

there is no such thing as 'non-standard' in apple parlance

Apple 'makes' the standard;-)  

I never heard of 'Bondi' before I chose my  Lime iMac in '99.

And note... looking back, you can see that Apple seriously... SERIOUSLY catered to consumer marketing on that release.

(and look at any commercial with a laptop displayed... do you see anything other than white or silver/aluminum in  those ads)

And for me... my Black NeXTstation was the envy of all who entered my space, with all the discoloured beige desktops scattered throughout our organization.  Especially the Secretarial corps (back then 99.99% female, and we were doing a bake off vs IBM and Apple for secretarial workstations)... who all said, "everything goes with black".

No, Steve did this, and did this regularly... if for nothing else, because at least 50% of the buying public actually considers color choice a 'statement.'

• Reply 59 of 112
    If it is the same kind of warm,"champagne" shade of gold that was often seen on HiFi equipment in the 1960s (and still seen occasionally ever since), I would seriously consider it (though I would have to see it first). A brighter, yellow tone of gold would not be attractive in my opinion.
  • Reply 60 of 112

Quote:

Originally Posted by gordy View Post

I had the Bondi Blue but also the Tangerine iMac.

http://512pixels.net/2012/12/imac/