New video compares supposed iPhone 5S, iPhone 5C shells against iPhone 5

Comments

• Reply 21 of 84

Quote:

Originally Posted by Disturbia View Post

Ugly hands ... dirty nails ... I hope my future 5S is not one of those!

That is why there is good money to be made by hand models, male and female. Name a body or body type or body part that is focus of advertising and you will find people getting paid to show their particular "perfection" off. 

• Reply 22 of 84
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I'm sure you won't be forced to buy it. I doubt Apple would be stupid enough to replace the white/sliver model with champagne. It will be another color option (like the rumored gunmetal color).

I hope you are right. My concern was mainly that the white/silver and white/champagne models are not all that different, and considering (at least many sources reported that) that the black iPhone 5 clearly outsold the white one, there might be no need for two white models... Of course, I hope I'm wrong.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

There's a lesson here - if you choose to learn it. Stop criticizing things from third had rumors.

Well, I did not criticize it anywhere... I just considered the first mock-ups hitting the web pretty gross.

• Reply 23 of 84
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Whining that it's last year's phone being sold as new.

Think of it instead as an iPod touch with a phone in it.
    Still not sure how that makes it crippled. :\
  • Reply 24 of 84
    dreyfus2 wrote: »
    I hope you are right. My concern was mainly that the white/silver and white/champagne models are not all that different, and considering (at least many sources reported that) that the black iPhone 5 clearly outsold the white one, there might be no need for two white models... Of course, I hope I'm wrong.

Well, I did not criticize it anywhere... I just considered the first mock-ups hitting the web pretty gross.

Where did you hear that the black model outsold the white one? Also take a better look at the leaked photos...the champagne colored phone clearly looks different than the white/sliver one.
  • Reply 25 of 84
    andrewb123 wrote: »
    If they do go with 'brightly coloured, fun' cases then from a distance people will begin to think they are seeing more and more Lumia devices out in the wild - the same way that cheap Android phones are mistaken for 4/4s every day.

The fun/colourful approach could backfire in a mindspace already occupied by Nokia.
    What? Apple has been doing fun/colorful all the way back to the first iMac. This isn't copying Nokia.
  • Reply 26 of 84
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

Quote:

What do you mean by crippled?

I didn't mean it in a derogatory way. I expect that Apple will reasonably exclude certain features from the 5C to differentiate the flagship from the budget model, some because of technical limitations, some to reduce cost, and some for marketing reasons. Maybe what I should have written is that I would prefer a white 5C barring the 5S offering some really compelling feature that's not available on the 5C.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Whining that it's last year's phone being sold as new.

Why you gotta be like that? I meant no such thing. I wasn't denigrating the C, I was complimenting it. I really like the way it looks. In white. If that's even what it really looks like. If there even really is a C. image

• Reply 27 of 84
    jragosta wrote: »
    It's always hard to tell from a picture, but I think the knee-jerk reaction that it will be ugly is unfounded. Given Apple's history, I'd be shocked if they release an ugly phone.
    It's all about page hits. And mocking up an ugly, garish bling gold iPhone gets more hits, even though those doing the mock ups should know better.

And these plastic colored phones that everyone seems to be vomiting over, I bet they sell like hotcakes, especially to young people who like bright, fun colors. It's clear Apple is making sure these are two distinct portfolio of phones, serving distinct markets.
  • Reply 28 of 84
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    The silver Apple logo on the champagne iPhone looks off. It won't ship with a silver Apple logo. It makes no sense.
  • Reply 29 of 84
    v5v wrote: »
    I didn't mean it in a derogatory way. I expect that Apple will reasonably exclude certain features from the 5C to differentiate the flagship from the budget model, some because of technical limitations, some to reduce cost, and some for marketing reasons. Maybe what I should have written is that I would prefer a white 5C barring the 5S offering some really compelling feature that's not available on the 5C.
    Oh for sure. My guess is the 5C will probably be missing the fingerprint tech and the camera probably won't be as good as the 5S. I still think it will have everything the 4S/5 does. Brand new features and the premium design will be the upsell to the 5S, not leaving things like Siri off the 5C (as Gene Munster speculated).
  • Reply 30 of 84

Quote:

Originally Posted by rcfa View Post

If gold is bling or tasteful is not a matter of color but of context. If you have a simple navy blue leather phone case case and wear a blue business suit with a brass-color belt buckle, and gold-rim eye glasses, a gold colored phone blends in.

If you sport a grin "adorned" with a gold tooth with a diamond while wearing tacky but expensive sportswear along with a Mercedes star dangling around your neck on a fat gold chain, and combine that with a golden iPhone it shows that you have way more (illegitimate ?) money than you have taste.

It's not the color, but the who and how of the context.

I really can't figure out why every reference to gaudy gold that I've read on this site has alluded to stereotypical "others". The only people wearing lots of gold are not "others". Some are regular people, who, you know, like gold. Your comment makes you seem really out-of-touch.

• Reply 31 of 84

Quote:

I'm sure you won't be forced to buy it. I doubt Apple would be stupid enough to replace the white/sliver model with champagne. It will be another color option (like the rumored gunmetal color).

Gunmetal, that would be really nice! : )

• Reply 32 of 84
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    v5v wrote: »
    Am I the only one who actually prefers the look of the white 5C over either of the aluminum bodies?

Probably not the only one, but I prefer the 5S by far!
  • Reply 33 of 84
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

Gunmetal will be perfect.

Finally an iPhone that matches my MBP!

The only rumour I heard is "graphite" (grey) not gunmetal.  

Even if they made a gunmetal one, they wouldn't be foolish enough to call it that either.  It's a name that doesn't play well outside of the USA.  You don't want the word "gun" associated with your product at all.  

Edit: unless you are actually selling guns I guess. 

• Reply 34 of 84

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

The silver Apple logo on the champagne iPhone looks off. It won't ship with a silver Apple logo. It makes no sense.

Why wouldn't that make sense, especially if it has a white front panel? Would you expect a black logo, or a white one? I think the high end fives are getting the silver logos to complement the chamfered edges. Makes sense to me.

• Reply 35 of 84
    ireland wrote: »
    My guess is we're not seeing a completely finished device. Different parts in different stages of the process are leaking and being thrown together to give a feel for what a fully assembled phone would look like. The leak below from last week showed a logo that looked black.

gold_iphone2.jpg
  • Reply 36 of 84

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

.. It's always hard to tell from a picture, but I think the knee-jerk reaction that it will be ugly is unfounded. Given Apple's history, I'd be shocked if they release an ugly phone.

I would too ... but on the other hand they are releasing an OS called "Mavericks" with a giant fake green-blue surfer wave as the backdrop, so "classy" has apparently already left the building. image

• Reply 37 of 84

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Getz View Post

Gunmetal, that would be really nice! : )

I have to look at more photos, but I haven't been able to detect the difference between the gunmetal and the black/slate. 

• Reply 38 of 84
    carthusia wrote: »
    Why wouldn't that make sense, especially if it has a white front panel? Would you expect a black logo, or a white one? I think the high end fives are getting the silver logos to complement the chamfered edges. Makes sense to me.
    I figured it would be the same color as the back, i.e. champagne/gold.
  • Reply 39 of 84

Quote:

What? Apple has been doing fun/colorful all the way back to the first iMac. This isn't copying Nokia.

Sorry, I thought every iPhone to date has been either white or black. I was considering mindspace and visibility on the street, not ancient CRT iMacs sat on desks and iPod Nanos tucked away in coat pockets. Apple will have to do a heck of a lot of advertising to drag the fun/colourful smartphone perception away from Nokia - especially at the lower end of the pre-pay (off contract) market, which I doubt the slightly lower cost iPhone will reach.

• Reply 40 of 84

That looks like the "graphite" one.

Supposedly with black glass inserts.