Ah, that explains things.
  • Reply 162 of 219
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member

Well done, Apple.  Well done.

• Reply 163 of 219
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Gene Munster is a hoot.  He was so far off in his prediction that he's now out there claiming 3-4M of the 9M is stuffing the channel with 5C's.  Of course he just pulled that number out of his ass just to make his prediction seem accurate. :lol:

That will go well with the "grotesquely understocked" carrier theme of last week eh?

• Reply 164 of 219
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

Nine million is "MORE" than FIVE million.

It's called arithmetic.

• Reply 165 of 219

bam, the iphone is a failure.. 

again... lol

• Reply 166 of 219

The media finds a way to spin the news as bad for Apple. Doomed!

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/business/2013/09/why-record-iphone-sales-might-be-rotten-for-apple-aapl/

• Reply 167 of 219

To me

Shut up, Sandy. Are you the team who made Apple what it is today?

I fully concede that Apple is going to make billions… …But

He’s taking lessons from me.

Let’s face it this new iPhone is just an upgrade…

YOU DON’T SAY. A stated upgrade to a device is just an upgrade? No. Really.

I am sure that true tech devotees will tell me how wrong I am, that this new device is… … revolutionary…

No, no one is saying that.

But to me and millions like me it seems a lot more evolutionary. It looks a whole lot like the last iPhone and the one before that and the one before that too.

Get glasses and stop being idiots, I guess. No particular order.

And you know what else looks the same, the way Apple staged the release of the 5S and the 5C.

Guess they should do this instead.

That would make you feel better, would it?

This is no longer the Apple of Steve Jobs.

Tends to happen when someone dies, yeah.

The Apple that seemingly every couple of years rocked the consumer electronics world with a product so innovative

ABC: If you have any sense or dignity, fire him. Why do you wish to be associated with “reporters” who write articles that are nothing but lies and FUD?

• Reply 168 of 219
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    They're definitely red faced today but the word I believe you're looking for was moron.

ask bugs bunny.

• Reply 169 of 219
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    xclntgig wrote: »
    [SIZE=18px]The media finds a way to spin the news as bad for Apple. Doomed![/SIZE]

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/business/2013/09/why-record-iphone-sales-might-be-rotten-for-apple-aapl/

What a flipping idiot.
  • Reply 170 of 219
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Microsoft is a partial owner of CNET.

Ah, that explains things.

They are? Thought CNET was owned by CBS? Does MS own CBS? Or is CNET co-owned?

• Reply 171 of 219
    Offtopic: With the impending release of AMD's new GCN 2.0 GPGPU discrete GPUs and that the new flag ship is 40% < in price compared to Nvidia's Titan while outperforming it we can expect the Mac Pro and iMac lines to just stomp this year.

Whoa are you saying the new iMacs and the pro will have AMD chips in them????
  • Reply 172 of 219
    Greatness and excellence are an affront to many, many people. From the central philosophy of Apple, through the magnificent products they make, to the genuinely beautiful retail spaces; the entire concept and execution is to be despised, not because it is inferior but because it is so manifestly and enormously superior to everything else.

A mere Veblen good would not have this impact, it's all in the philosophy.
  • Reply 173 of 219

im always confused when people say "This is just an upgrade" 

No kidding. Its still an iphone... what did you expect? They could have made it teleport you and youd still be saying its an upgrade.

As far as a new product... Well if they release one by 2016 then they are following apple schedule.

• Reply 174 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

They're definitely red faced today but the word I believe you're looking for was moron.

"Who Killed Roger Rabbit?", not to mention any number of Bugs Bunny cartoons.

• Reply 175 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jusephe View Post

OMG that is horible ! 9 divied between two phones is 4,5 million ! Less than 5 million for single iPhone 5 ! Apple is doomed !

Samsung sold over 10 000 000 of a single phone !!! Lovering stock by 50 eh no, by 100 $.

/sarcasm

/irony

/Wall Street analyst

Funny you should mention Sham Sung.  It took them 2 months to "ship" 10 million GS4's.  It will take Apple 3 days and change to do the same thing.

• Reply 176 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

But imagine if it was.

I am going to do something unusual on the Internet and admit I was wrong. If Apple are selling out of the 5C at this price it didn't need to go lower. However I hope when the upgrade/Christmas/Chinese new year is over prices are subtly reduced.

They kind of have gone down in price already.  Walmart and Target are both selling the 5c on contract for $79.

• Reply 177 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

But imagine if it was.

I am going to do something unusual on the Internet and admit I was wrong. If Apple are selling out of the 5C at this price it didn't need to go lower. However I hope when the upgrade/Christmas/Chinese new year is over prices are subtly reduced.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

The time to discount the 5C will come. 

not yet.

not yet.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

If the 5s is actually outselling the 5c by  3.7 X as data suggests then I wouldn't say you are too far wrong.

As I said in another thread it is unlikely Apple will lower the price of the 5C. 

They likely will "add" an 8GB model for $449 and faze out the 4S in early Spring after the holiday season. That'll juice up sales in the normal sales lull the iPhone experiences 6 months into it's cycle, without hurting profits for Apple. Most people that want decent storage will still have to pay $99/$549 for the upgrade which is pure profit for Apple.

Apple is not going to admit they were wrong on the price, and they are also not going to sacrifice profits or margins. The 16GB and 32GB are likely going to retain their prices till next year.
  • Reply 178 of 219
    Quote:

Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

I think the 5S is more of an improvement over the 5 than the media first thought.

If the stupid media watched the keynote Phill Schiller said that 50% of the speed improvement since the iPhone first was introduced in 2007 came with the iPhone 5s.  That is totally amazing. He said that the 5s is 40 times as fast as the original iPhone cpu wise and 20 times as fast as the iPhone 5.  Graphically it is 56 times faster than the original iPhone and 23 times faster than the iphone 5.  Think about that for a second.  It really is an amazing upgrade.  

• Reply 179 of 219
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichL View Post

What's your source on that? Apple's press release says 9 million sold, not 9 million delivered. It specifically mentions that stock was exhausted and the remaining orders will be delivered on the coming weeks.

In the world of the SEC, "sold" has a very specific meaning.  You cannot count it as sold until you have collected the revenue (for items like this).  So, for example, my 5S which I ordered a couple minutes past midnight Thursday NIght/Friday morning, and which is not scheduled to ship for another week or more, is not counted in that 9 million since they have not actually charged my credit card yet.  Once they charge the card, accept payment, they can count it as a sale.

• Reply 180 of 219
    Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbag View Post

In the world of the SEC, "sold" has a very specific meaning.  You cannot count it as sold until you have collected the revenue (for items like this).  So, for example, my 5S which I ordered a couple minutes past midnight Thursday NIght/Friday morning, and which is not scheduled to ship for another week or more, is not counted in that 9 million since they have not actually charged my credit card yet.  Once they charge the card, accept payment, they can count it as a sale.

Really?  I don't believe you.  By hitting the purchase button, you and Apple have entered into a contract of sale.  The charging of the credit card is relatively meaningless.  Apple would almost certainly count an approved and collected contract of sale as a sale.  I know I would.  If you have actual evidence that suggests otherwise, by all means enlighten us.  But of course none of us do.  Only those inside certain sections of Apple's upper echelons would have that kind of information.