Microsoft exec takes swing at Apple, calls iWork 'watered down,' iPad 'entertainment device'

1567911

Comments

  • Reply 161 of 201
    I'm kind of ticked. I just bought a brand new MBA in August after the updated ones came out. I was on the phone with Apple just now for a separate issue and I had asked about if there's anyway I could get the iLife suite for free since I just dropped $2,000 on a new computer. The guy on the other end asked someone and came back and said no. I just don't understand that rationale. You can give away Mavericks for free to anyone but not iWork because I didn't buy the computer after October 1st? That's shady.
  • Reply 162 of 201
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,383member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maclvr03 View Post



    I'm kind of ticked. I just bought a brand new MBA in August after the updated ones came out. I was on the phone with Apple just now for a separate issue and I had asked about if there's anyway I could get the iLife suite for free since I just dropped $2,000 on a new computer. The guy on the other end asked someone and came back and said no. I just don't understand that rationale. You can give away Mavericks for free to anyone but not iLife because I didn't buy the computer after October 1st? That's shady.

    It's not "shady", what they want to prevent is having to cut checks to everyone that bought a relatively inexpensive software app that they've already recognized as revenue.  I think it's more of an accounting issue, if anything.

     

    When they made the decision to give away software instead of charging for it, they have to set rules and live by those rules.

     

    I think some people take it a little too personally, but there are certain things that they have to consider when they make these decisions. 

     

    If they get enough flack about it, they might do something, but whenever you buy something ultimately it's buyer beware and if Apple wants to offer iWork for free for people that bought the software or computer prior to the date they have specified, then they might change their position, but I wouldn't expect it.

     

    You can always return the product you bought, get a refund, if it's within 30 days and then repurchase the product.  :-)

     

    October 1 is the beginning of a new quarter.

     

    Unfortunately, I think Accounting might have been involved with this decision and they look at it from a bean counting perspective.

     

    They might offer Gift Cards, did you ask for that?  I'd call them back and talk to a manager.  Did you talk to a manager?  The regular people can only do what Upper management tells them, but managers can sometimes override things.  Remember, these are people and they may WANT to give you free product, but they can violate policies and lose their job over it.  so ask to speak to a manager.  Be nice because they are just doing their job and don't always have ultimate say-so.  Otherwise, send Tim Cook an email.  [email protected] is his email address, or send him a handwritten document explaining you would love to use Pages, BUT since it didn't come with it, you have to use a pen and paper instead.  :-)

     

    Oh, if you call them up and speak to a manager, PLEAD, BEG with sugar on top and get over emotional about it and tell them you'll be their best friend and ask for a gift card.  They might do it.   :-)

  • Reply 163 of 201
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by drblank View Post

     

    It's not "shady", what they want to prevent is having to cut checks to everyone that bought a relatively inexpensive software app that they've already recognized as revenue.  I think it's more of an accounting issue, if anything.

     

     

    Unfortunately, I think Accounting might have been involved with this decision and they look at it from a bean counting perspective.


     

     

    But giving away Mavericks for free to anyone that could've had Snow Leopard isn't an accounting issue....?

  • Reply 164 of 201
    virtuavirtua Posts: 209member
    I'm no tech guru, but Apple builds devices that integrate with its desktop and laptops. Why would they build a tablet that replaces the need for a basic computer?

    Because the ipad is a curve jumper that is taking on the whole pc space - macs as good as they are, haven't been able to do that.
  • Reply 165 of 201
    chiachia Posts: 712member
    Originally Posted by timgriff84 View Post
     

    Apple also announced the updates to OSX is free, referring to Windows not being free. But Windows 8.1 is also a free upgrade so there actually priced the same. If you buy a PC it comes with Windows, if you buy a Mac it comes with OS X and the latest update for both a[re] free.


     

    You're wrong.  Consider November 2009 when Windows 7 and OS X Snow Leopard were available.

    If you bought a Windows 7 machine then you'd have to pay Microsoft to upgrade it to the current Windows 8.1.

    If you bought a Snow Leopard Mac in 2009 then the upgrade to the current Mavericks is free.

  • Reply 166 of 201
    ipenipen Posts: 410member

    Hmm.. interesting claim.  I'll have to try the surface to see if I can really be productive...

  • Reply 167 of 201
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    ascii wrote: »
    When I was watching the Apple Event and they said "We now have full document compatibility across iOS and Mac," I briefly wondered if they had just discarded the old Mac version and ported the iOS version across. With the lost functionality people are now seeing I'm wondering that again.

    That seems to be what they did. Apparently only Keynote avoided the slaughter, though previous users all seem to dislike the side bar formatting thing (I was suspicious of its screen wasting when they showed it during the keynote).

    Since the last iWork was released in 2009, I've been wondering why it was left abandoned for so long. Did they only have one developer working on it? Did he leave Apple and leave his code a mess? Did they find it was so impossible to port to iOS that they had to restart development? Will they ever put the old functionality back in???

    At first I was happy about the announcement, but then I had this sneaking uneasy feeling that it was all too easy. Now I know my suspicion was right. I will never upgrade to a downgraded product.
  • Reply 168 of 201
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

    Come on the Surface is a "some assembly required", needed parts sold separately (the keyboard) laptop.

     

    Compare it to a Macbook Air?

  • Reply 169 of 201
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    Microsoft isn't as wrong as you think. Listen to actual iWork users:

    https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5468056?tstart=0
  • Reply 170 of 201
    Originally Posted by dysamoria View Post


     

    Instant argument destroyer, but you know that given your background.

  • Reply 171 of 201

    Microsoft has gone from inept to pathetic to whining loser!

  • Reply 172 of 201
    Translation: the mortal threat to Redmond posed by Apple's recent iWork bundling moves both on the Web / Cloud and on tablets has not gone unnoticed, and has to be countered as a matter of grave urgency. Period.
  • Reply 173 of 201
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by maclvr03 View Post



    I'm kind of ticked. I just bought a brand new MBA in August after the updated ones came out. I was on the phone with Apple just now for a separate issue and I had asked about if there's anyway I could get the iLife suite for free since I just dropped $2,000 on a new computer. The guy on the other end asked someone and came back and said no. I just don't understand that rationale. You can give away Mavericks for free to anyone but not iWork because I didn't buy the computer after October 1st? That's shady.

     

    I just bought a 15" retina, backed up my 2008 MacBook, I had iLife and iWork, I loaded my time machine backup and had no issues with downloading all the free stuff except I now seem to have two GarageBands.

     

  • Reply 174 of 201
    It's a shame to see that a person significantly lower than apple, would say this. I mean, just, wow. The company that complains and brags will always look worse. That's why I remember this: Apple is your typical 20 year old, mature, job, financially stable, married, nice house, and want to help others almost more than himself, etc. But Microsoft, is that little two year old that has barely learned how to talk, but they use that new skill to much! They steal ideas and try their hardest to take credit, when they see something that is better than their own, they want to say that their's is better when it's clearly not, try to hit you when they don't get their way, and the list goes on. I am sure looking forward to when these other companies grow up to the age they should be. In the technology world, you can chose what age to play at, at anytime. Let's remember that Microsoft wasn't always like this, they ware still a powerful company in products, but they are missing the fact that to be appreciated, don't be a noisy two year old.
  • Reply 175 of 201
    Apple completely reengineered iWork for iPad and Mac, and added jaw-dropping collaboration capability on top of the already impressive iCloud iWork, and is providing it free on all newly purchased devices (as well as liberally allowing updating from older versions). And Pages produces ePub output, too. The iWork suite will be on many, many millions of Apple tablets and desktops as a de facto standard. This is why Microsoft is sweating and throwing stones, particularly with their hideous Windows 8 Surface devices selling so poorly as to be an economic liability to Microsoft.
    Microsoft is well aware that the iPad can steer the industry, which was dramatically illustrated as the iPad 1 alone put an end to mobile Flash and diminished Flash in general. And, we all remember, Adobe executives were then blogging vitriol against Apple and Steve Jobs then just as Microsoft is now, fearful of what they saw coming.
    We're seeing powerhouse software development coming out of Apple now, and everything tells us that this is going to accelerate. And software is the lesser element of this hardware company. Microsoft may well fall even further behind this dynamic company.
  • Reply 176 of 201
    "So, when I see Apple drop the price of their struggling, lightweight productivity apps, I don't see a shot across our bow, I see an attempt to play catch up,"

    Isn't that exactly what Microsoft are doing with the lower pricing on their hardware???
  • Reply 177 of 201
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    Microsoft is right unfortunately IF they meant 'watered down' is 'removing stuff that has been in in the previous version'.

    Check the apple community forums and read about the removal of more than 25 features plaguing users. I certainly need to revert to 4.0.
  • Reply 178 of 201
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,383member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Reagan Reese View Post



    It's a shame to see that a person significantly lower than apple, would say this. I mean, just, wow. The company that complains and brags will always look worse. That's why I remember this: Apple is your typical 20 year old, mature, job, financially stable, married, nice house, and want to help others almost more than himself, etc. But Microsoft, is that little two year old that has barely learned how to talk, but they use that new skill to much! They steal ideas and try their hardest to take credit, when they see something that is better than their own, they want to say that their's is better when it's clearly not, try to hit you when they don't get their way, and the list goes on. I am sure looking forward to when these other companies grow up to the age they should be. In the technology world, you can chose what age to play at, at anytime. Let's remember that Microsoft wasn't always like this, they ware still a powerful company in products, but they are missing the fact that to be appreciated, don't be a noisy two year old.

    Microsoft has been holding off on releasing Office for iOS for the iPad purposely so they can try to gain market share with the Surface products, but what Microsoft doesn't get is that tablets are not always used with an office product where the user NEEDS or even WANTS a full blown application.  I would argue that MOST people don't even use most of the features of Office. I certainly never did.  The only reason why I use Office on my Mac is because i would get forms sent to me that were Excel based and I had to use Office.   I got upset because I was using an older version of Office that worked just fine with my own spreadsheets but had to buy the 2011 version because some company sent me a later version Excel document where I had to upgrade.  Yeah, I had to spend another $100+ just to fill out some stupid Excel form for some financial institution. 

  • Reply 179 of 201
    Its absolutely true that Pages and Numbers are not as powerful as Word and Excel. However, they are both more than adequate for the vast majority of users.

    Word and Excel are great tools but many of their "power features" are not even used by most users.
  • Reply 180 of 201
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,383member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Likkie View Post



    Its absolutely true that Pages and Numbers are not as powerful as Word and Excel. However, they are both more than adequate for the vast majority of users.



    Word and Excel are great tools but many of their "power features" are not even used by most users.

     

    I think Microsoft should just get off their asses and release the iOS version of Office for the iPad and STFU and just make money the way they are used to making money.



    Didn't they say a year ago they were releasing Office for iPads that was free and pay as you go?  What happened?  Poor Surface sales?

Sign In or Register to comment.