J.D. Power ranks Samsung tablets better than iPad entirely due to cost

Comments

• Reply 121 of 219
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Drealoth View Post

How the scoring ratings work: http://www.jdpower.com/about/power-circle-ratings.htm

Basic point is, they are relative to their peers, NOT a score out of five.

Of note: "The highest-ranking company or brand in each segment receives five Power Circles*. In highly competitive segments with many companies or brands, multiple companies or models scoring in the top 10 percent of the range from the highest score can also receive five Power Circles, indicating that consumers rate them "among the best" of all companies or models in the survey. However, only the highest ranking company in each segment receives a J.D. Power award."

So those 4s that Samsung got could have been very close to Apple's 5s. Still silly that price alone wins it though.

They are a marketing firm, people. Marketing firms don't survive by handing out slaps on the back.

• Reply 122 of 219
    cash907cash907 Posts: 893member
    As much as I love my iPad, which I'll be trading up to an iPad Air for tomorrow, price is an issue. Not the initial price, but the hundred dollars between each model. I'm sorry, but an additional 16, 32, hell even 64GB of memory is NOT worth a hundred, two hundred, or three hundred bucks.

When you compare Macs, the higher tier models usually come with more ram, more storage, and a faster processor. Not so with iPads, iPhones and iPods. With those three, you're paying 100 dollars more for what amounts to maybe 15 dollars worth of additional chips soldered to the logic board. As buyers become more savvy, they start to realize that pricing scheme is complete horse hockey. High margins for Apple, great for shareholders, but highway robbery all the same.
  • Reply 123 of 219
    Not surpised. Apple has been resting on their laurels

You wish. iPad is still the target the industry is chasing.
  • Reply 124 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

As much as I love my iPad, which I'll be trading up to an iPad Air for tomorrow, price is an issue. Not the initial price, but the hundred dollars between each model. I'm sorry, but an additional 16, 32, hell even 64GB of memory is NOT worth a hundred, two hundred, or three hundred bucks.

When you compare Macs, the higher tier models usually come with more ram, more storage, and a faster processor. Not so with iPads, iPhones and iPods. With those three, you're paying 100 dollars more for what amounts to maybe 15 dollars worth of additional chips soldered to the logic board. As buyers become more savvy, they start to realize that pricing scheme is complete horse hockey. High margins for Apple, great for shareholders, but highway robbery all the same.

That's what Android is there for:  Cheapskates.

Nice to see you're getting the iPad Air. Post your review when you get it.

• Reply 125 of 219
    boeyc15 wrote: »
    http://www.jdpower.com/consumer-ratings/telecom/ratings/919201690/2013-Tablet+Satisfaction+Study/index.htm

The 2013 U.S. Tablet Satisfaction Study--Volume 2 is based on experiences evaluated by 3,375 tablet owners who have owned their current device for less than one year. The study was fielded between March and August 2013. The study measures satisfaction across five key factors (in order of importance): performance (26%); ease of operation (22%); styling and design (19%); features (17%); and cost (16%).

Based on this criteria.. yea... the ranking for price might have done it... apple only lost by 2 points in total.

Yeah, and the timeframe too...

The iPad 4 and iPad mini were announced on Oct 23, 2012, and the new ones on Oct 22, 2013.

So, the older iPads were 5 months old, and the new iPads were not yet announced. In other words, the study was conducted in the middle of Apples product cycle...

I wonder if this skews the study in any way.

I am curious what particular devices were involved, and what their ratings were.

I know it's gauche to quote and reply to ones own post (I'm not DED/Corrections, after all), but I did a little surfing to see when Samsung tablets were announced:

Galaxy Tab 3   7.0"    7 July 2013 *
    Galaxy Tab 3   8.0"    7 July 2013 *
    Galaxy Tab 3 10.0"    7 July 2013 *

* Jump up to: a b c "Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 10.1, 8.0 and 7.0 Coming To The U.S. July 7 For $399, $299 And $199". The Verge. 24 June 2013.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samsung_Galaxy_Tab_series#cite_note-Galaxy_Tab_3-36

Now, isn't that special?

Edit: a little more surfing offers this perspective:

During the survey period, Apple sold (through to customers) 28-30 million iPads (2011 and 2012 models). Samsung shipped 16-17 million tablets.

I wonder how the 3,375 tablet owners were selected for the study...
  • Reply 126 of 219
    According to JD Power's own page, the cost is weighted the lowest.
    http://www.jdpower.com/content/press-release/Czb4Aa9/-2013-u-s-tablet-satisfaction-study.htm

"The study measures satisfaction across five key factors (in order of importance): performance (26%); ease of operation (22%); styling and design (19%); features (17%); and cost (16%)."

With that information, it should be impossible for Apple's score to be lower than Samsung. Even if you make the *radical* assumption that each 5 in Apple%u2019s row is really just a 4.5 rounded up and the 2 is a 1.5 rounded up (and leaving Samsung%u2019s values at their full values), Apple%u2019s weighted average becomes 4.02 while Samsung%u2019s is 3.52.

Something strange is definitely going on here.
  • Reply 127 of 219
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

$100 between capacities is a norm for most of the industry, so I don't understand why you're singling out Apple for "highway robbery", even if you don't agree with the pricing disparity. Samsung products have the same structure. 

• Reply 128 of 219
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,200member
    Quote:

I agree with you that the incremental price of memory Apple asks is far more than what it costs them, but I rationalize the high price by my doing much more with the device because it has more memory. Apple might deserve disproportionate compensation for that.

I am not an AAPL shareholder, by the way. I just appreciate what Apple does for us and am willing to pay more for better service (all aspects).

• Reply 129 of 219
    bunlobunlo Posts: 28member
    Look at this way, JD Power did the right thing actually.

It basically saying,

JD Power admitted that Samsung is "Cheap", nothing more.
  • Reply 130 of 219
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    cycomiko wrote: »
    So, if in years past when apple was ranking highly, what would have been your feedback to somebody posting your commentary back at you?

Well has Apple used the JD Power award/name in its ads?
    cash907 wrote: »

No one is forcing you to buy the 32. I just have 16GB on my iPhone.
  • Reply 131 of 219
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Voodoo and flawgic.

I went to the JDP website and they don't explain the math. Then I saw this clause:

*Please note that JDPower.com ratings may not include all information used to determine J.D. Power awards.

They don't include the kick back they got under the table.  Part of that 13 billion dollar advertising budget of samsungs.

• Reply 132 of 219
    Originally Posted by jobsonmyface View Post

Not surpised. Apple has been resting on their laurels

Nope. Quiet.

Originally Posted by rezwits View Post

Cause getting 16GB of flash storage for an extra $100 is so 5 years ago. That's just ridiculous. I don't care what everybody else is doing or what their prices are. 

Except the majority of consumers says the exact opposite.

Originally Posted by th3uglytruth View Post

This is what a $5B marketing budget CAN and WILL do to the fruit company!

What are you even talking about?

• Reply 133 of 219
    The REAL winner is: The Etch-a-Sketch for tablets.
    - lowest cost by far
    - longer battery life (never needs recharge)
    - easiest to use, only 2 knobs
    These should provide enough points to win the highest score
  • Reply 134 of 219
    J. D. Power also rated the Pontiac Aztec as 'best in class', and least $$ for junk. Ok, we had our laugh Mr. Power, but this is Halloween, not April Fools Day.
  • Reply 135 of 219
    [IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/34388/width/500/height/1000[/IMG]

Their method is meaningless if they expect anyone to believe that all these tablets deserve to be ranked the same. This likely stems from the fact that they are user survey based, but their weighting of the response can be nothing short of flawed.

On the bright side, Acer is the only company putting out a below average tablet. :rolleyes:
  • Reply 136 of 219
    elehcdnelehcdn Posts: 388member
    Don't forget that survey results are all based upon the questions that are asked. If JD Power asks "would you be more satisfied paying $200 for a tablet or $400" as a separate question without taking into account any other factors that would obviously skew the results towards the Samsungs that are at that price point. I don't think that many people are going to say they want to spend more money.
  • Reply 137 of 219
    During the survey period, Apple sold (through to customers) 28-30 million iPads (2011 and 2012 models). Samsung shipped 16-17 million tablets.

I wonder how the 3,375 tablet owners were selected for the study...

Not sure what you're getting at. The iPad soundly trounced the competition in each individual category except in price. It's the final ranking that doesn't quite add up.
  • Reply 138 of 219
    analogjackanalogjack Posts: 1,073member

Dog bites man, that's not news. Man bites dog, that is news.

Most expensive is best, that's not news. 

• Reply 139 of 219
    mechanic wrote: »
    They don't include the kick back they got under the table.  Part of that 13 billion dollar advertising budget of samsungs.

Yeah, but I don't believe that without some proof. JDP would have to risk their reputation, and their business is based on their reputation.
  • Reply 140 of 219
    berpberp Posts: 136member
    In a capitalist world, you get what you pay for. A great tablet...for a price; a great report...for a price.

Samsung, as a client to JDPower services, would pay a fortune to get a lightly skewed overall result out of a credible consumer survey on tablet. So lightly skewed in fact, that no one can reasonably call it foul play without incurring the derision of the feel-good community.

These two percentage points overall lead on Apple, as sanctioned by a reportedly well-reputed survey firm, can and will drive a massive PR and publicity campaign to boost Samsung's relatively poor credibility in the serious-tablet market. Mark it as a great investment opportunity for Samsung, and a high-yield, low-risk ethical breach of conduct for JD Power.

A ton of money not only buys you the best tablet on the market, the iPad, as JD Power found out through its survey, but it can also lead the best survey-firm ethically astray, at the very least...three larger-than-life percentage points astray.

JD Power simply free-rides on Samsung/Google ever-increasing greed, insecurity, and Apple-envy. That is called no-holds-barred capitalism; a world within which the purest of intentions must battle it out with greed sycophancy for a good-day's pay...