Apple's iPhone 5c boasts most available advertised memory, Samsung Galaxy S4 declared 'biggest memor

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
While many smartphones advertise 16 gigabytes of capacity, none of them actually offer that much storage to the end user. But both Apple's iPhone 5c and iPhone 5s offer among the most advertised space out of the box, while Samsung's Galaxy S4 comes in last place.

Storage

Among 16-gigabyte smartphones, Apple's iPhone 5c ranks first among available storage, with 12.6 gigabytes, or 79 percent of its advertised space, according to Which. Not far behind, in third place, is the flagship iPhone 5s, which ships with 12.2 gigabytes of capacity available, representing 76 percent of the advertised capacity.

Sandwiched in between those two is the second-place Google Nexus 5, sporting 12.28 gigabytes of space, reflecting 77 percent of its 16 gigabytes of storage.

Coming in dead last in the analysis conducted by Which is the Samsung Galaxy S4, which has just 54 percent, or 8.56 gigabytes, of its advertised space. It's speculated that this capacity is limited by the amount of customized software Samsung includes on the handset, including its Android skin "TouchWiz," and features such as eye tracking.

iPhone 5c

One benefit the Galaxy S4 has over Apple's iPhone lineup and even Google's Nexus handset is the inclusion of an available microSD card slot. Galaxy users can buy their own card and insert it into the handset, boosting available storage by up to 64 gigabytes, while iPhone and Nexus 5 owners must stick with their original built-in storage.

However, Google has taken steps with the Android operating system to restrict usage of external storage, likely in an effort to ensure handset performance is not slowed. As a result, Android applications cannot be installed to external storage, and any inserted memory card can only be used to host media files and documents.

That means Galaxy S4 owners are only left with 8.56 gigabytes to install applications -- more than 4 gigabytes less than are available out of the box on Apple's mid-range iPhone 5c.

The analysis isn't the first time Samsung has been called out for offering limited space, though it is one of the first tests to include Apple's latest iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c models. Last year, when Samsung was taken to task over Galaxy S4 storage, the company responded by advising users to buy a microSD card.

"For the Galaxy S4 16GB model," Samsung said in a statement, "approximately 6.85GB occupies [the] system part of internal memory, which is 1GB bigger than that of the Galaxy S3, in order to provide [a] high resolution display and more powerful features to our consumers."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 86

The only area in which Samsung performs better than the other android OEMs is marketing.

• Reply 2 of 86
    bigmac2bigmac2 Posts: 639member

6.85 GB for a mobile OS? It's more than a full XP installation will all its crapwares. 

• Reply 3 of 86
    But it's not 6.5 gigs of bloatware on the S4, its 7.5 gigs. Yet another lie from the lying thieves at Samscum.
  • Reply 4 of 86

"However, Google has taken steps with the Android operating system to restrict usage of external storage, likely in an effort to ensure handset performance is not slowed. As a result, Android applications cannot be installed to external storage, and any inserted memory card can only be used to host media files and documents."

This statement is a little bit silly because the reverse could be said about phones without external storage. Yes, they can load more applications but they are limited in their ability to hold media files and documents.

• Reply 5 of 86
    juiljuil Posts: 75member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

"However, Google has taken steps with the Android operating system to restrict usage of external storage, likely in an effort to ensure handset performance is not slowed. As a result, Android applications cannot be installed to external storage, and any inserted memory card can only be used to host media files and documents."

This statement is a little bit silly because the reverse could be said about phones without external storage. Yes, they can load more applications but they are limited in their ability to hold media files and documents.

And then there is cloud services and wifi connected storage solutions. Maybe not as neat as poping an SD card, but they too are aftermarket expansions available (and most cloud services have free basic plans) that only apply to media files and documents.

• Reply 6 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Juil View Post

And then there is cloud services and wifi connected storage solutions. Maybe not as neat as poping an SD card, but they too are aftermarket expansions available (and most cloud services have free basic plans) that only apply to media files and documents.

With carrier's exorbitant rates for mobile IP communications here in Québec, I tend to limite my uses of cloud services for media consumption with my mobile devices on the road. 

• Reply 7 of 86
    Quote:

As a result, Android applications cannot be installed to external storage, and any inserted memory card can only be used to host media files and documents.

Absolutely 100% incorrect.  Android recommends that Applications that perform services or background functions not be installed on SD because if the SD is unmounted or removed those objects will no longer be available, common sense. Other apps like large games etc can be installed on external storage as long as the developer has made the correct entry in the manifest file and the app has the correct permissions.

• Reply 8 of 86
    bigmac2 wrote: »
    With carrier's exorbitant rates for mobile IP communication, I tend to limite my uses of cloud services for media consumption on my mobile devices on the road. 

You should check out the wifi options. I saw an sd card streamer at Walmart the other day. You can stream content up to 8 hours, in the Himalayas if u want. $40 plus the sd card.
  • Reply 9 of 86
    neilmneilm Posts: 987member

Memory = RAM

Storage = Drive space

The article wrongly uses these terms interchangeably, something I might expect my wife's Uncle Charlie to do, but not a tech site.

• Reply 10 of 86
    Quote:

Originally Posted by daveinpublic View Post

You should check out the wifi options. I saw an sd card streamer at Walmart the other day. You can stream content up to 8 hours, in the Himalayas if u want. $40 plus the sd card.

I use a lot the Wi-Fi at home, I stream my videos and music at home.  But on the road, I need to keep my music and photos on the internal storage if I don't want have a few hundred dollars bills from my carrier. 

• Reply 11 of 86
    mknoppmknopp Posts: 257member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BigMac2 View Post

With carrier's exorbitant rates for mobile IP communications here in Québec, I tend to limite my uses of cloud services for media consumption with my mobile devices on the road. 

Then take advantage of Juil's other mentioned solution. Buy one of the many aftermarket Wifi enabled hardrive setups. That is 500GB to 1TB of media and document storage for access on the road without having to use mobile data.

The point is that there are many options for accessing media and documents for all mobile phones.

• Reply 12 of 86
    [quote name="island hermit"

[/quote]
    I am using a Seagate's Wireless Plus to store and offload video content while out and about - works well with our iPhones and iPads. There are a number of wifi drives out there (in many physical sizes), so tying up internal memory space isn't required.
  • Reply 13 of 86
    The smartphone industry has already declared the iPhone 5c as an overpriced piece of plastic junk. Basically just another failed Apple product because Apple only sold about 20 million units to date. So, I don't think it really matters if the iPhone 5c has a bit more usable memory since it will probably be discontinued when the iPhone 6 becomes available.
  • Reply 14 of 86

It's time the manufacturers began placing the OS (and add-ons like bundled skins, mandatory software, etc.) on a separate chip, and leave the entire 16GB (or whatever is advertised) available for the user.  And whichever maker does this first can brag that they're offering TRUE specs in their advertising.

Alas, they never did this in 25 years of microcomputer sales, so I doubt it will happen with smartphones.

• Reply 15 of 86
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    it's too bad appleinsider squanders its opportunity to educate people as well as inform, instead of perpetuating willful ignorance. to wit, "Apple's iPhone 5c boasts most available advertised memory," as opposed to what should accurately be called "storage".
  • Reply 16 of 86
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    It's time the manufacturers began placing the OS (and add-ons like bundled skins, mandatory software, etc.) on a separate chip, and leave the entire 16GB (or whatever is advertised) available for the user.  And whichever maker does this first can brag that they're offering TRUE specs in their advertising.

Alas, they never did this in 25 years of microcomputer sales, so I doubt it will happen with smartphones.

... but it might.
    http://www.engadget.com/2013/10/29/motorola-project-ara-modular-smartphone/
  • Reply 17 of 86
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NeilM View Post

Memory = RAM

Storage = Drive space

The article wrongly uses these terms interchangeably, something I might expect my wife's Uncle Charlie to do, but not a tech site.

I'm not aware of any phones with a drive.    Memory and Storage is the same in a phone, no?

• Reply 18 of 86
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mknopp View Post

Then take advantage of Juil's other mentioned solution. Buy one of the many aftermarket Wifi enabled hardrive setups. That is 500GB to 1TB of media and document storage for access on the road without having to use mobile data.

The point is that there are many options for accessing media and documents for all mobile phones.

I failed to understand how this could help me? I won't travel in public transit with a Wifi enable hard drive... I want to listen to my music and having enough space on my mobile device for taking photos and videos occasionally while I'm outside of my household. 

• Reply 19 of 86
    Having low storage will only become more of a problem as app sizes continue to increase as well.
  • Reply 20 of 86
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    No mention of a big problem with SD storage for most users (not we tech-savvy forum goers): you then have to MANAGE that multi-segment storage. Android's strength (for a few) is also its weakness (for many): it's more like an old-style PC.