Apple TV gains its own shopping category in Apple's online store

Comments

• Reply 41 of 107
    dimmokdimmok Posts: 359member

Have 3 Apple TV's hooked up at home…Love this insanely great product.

• Reply 42 of 107
    blazarblazar Posts: 270member
    Apple TV NEEDS:

IP control with drivers for all home automation stuff. For ALL its products. DUH WTF are these guys doing lately with $160billion dollars.

A simpler way to enter text is a MUST.

While they are at it, itunes needs an IP based remote interface to simplify control by outside devices. Apple is simply being jerks at this point not having blu-ray capability. It is a slap in the face to home theater enthusiasts.

Who here would not want apple TV simply licensed out to bluray manufacturers like HULU and VUDU already do...

The folks at apple clearly ate neither audiophiles nor videophiles which does NOT fit with the Tim Cool mantra of making the "best product" possible.
  • Reply 43 of 107

I am actually interested in the pricing of the Apple TV if it does receive a significant update that includes console like gaming features.  Would it sell more than $400 because I bet it will.  I would be surprised if it sells any lower than this price

• Reply 44 of 107
    What I don't care for on the remote app is that it always opens to the wrong screen, because my TV and computer are in the same room. Which also creates a problem with using the aluminum remote as it will increase the volume and start to play something on the computer and I am trying to move the cursor on the TV screen. Sheesh!
  • Reply 45 of 107
    To those complaining about the remote: have you tried programming a universal remote instead? I use the same remote that operates my tv, cable box and PS4. It works great.
  • Reply 46 of 107
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by LJC94512 View Post

I am actually interested in the pricing of the Apple TV if it does receive a significant update that includes console like gaming features.  Would it sell more than $400 because I bet it will.  I would be surprised if it sells any lower than this price

$400 sounds a bit on the high side. 

Toss in a A7 which has more than enough Oomph for games.   Add the Routing functionality and 16GB of NAND storage (should cost no more than the 8GB that Gen 3 comes with)  

I'm thinking $199-249  

Apple keeps Gen 3 around at $99 for those that don't need the extra features. 

• Reply 47 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jonyo View Post

You may actually have a network issue. If your iMac and the Apple TV are both connected via ethernet cable, make sure that neither is also connected via wifi at the same time. Also make sure you don't have any weird loops in your network, like a cable from one port back to another port on the same router. Weird stuff like that can cause network traffic chaos that you can't see other than some devices on the network will get "busier" dealing with network stuff, causing other things to slow down, like UI response.

Definitely WIFI disabled on both iMac and appleTV and very simple cabling. The video plays fine, no stuttering etc. iMac shows no excessive cpu utilization, it's just the iMac mouse becomes totally unresponsive other than that everything behaves fine.

I do use multi user a lot, all 4 of us have accounts with something running (browser usually). That's the only possible "cause" I can think of. As I say after reboot (single user active) it is fine. Some time later (and I haven't bothered to correlate this with number of users) it goes wonky again.

• Reply 48 of 107
    ljc94512 wrote: »

Think of it as the electronic equivalent of a headless iPad Air without Cell radios, Battery, Sensors, GPS...

The iPad Air has a BOM cost of $274.

http://www.isuppli.com/Teardowns/News/Pages/New-iPad-Air-Costs-Less-to-Make-Than-Third-Generation-iPad-Model-,IHS-Teardown-Reveals.aspx

Remove costs of:
       $90 Display
       $43 Touch
         $9 Camera
       $10 User Interface Sensors
       $19 Battery
         $7 Power Management
       $20 Mechanical / Electromechanical
    $198

So, the SWAG BOM costs for a nAppleTV would be $274 - $198 == $76

With an implied margin of $49%, the 16GB nAppleTV could retail for less than $150.

• Reply 49 of 107
    wisdomseed wrote: »
    What I don't care for on the remote app is that it always opens to the wrong screen, because my TV and computer are in the same room. Which also creates a problem with using the aluminum remote as it will increase the volume and start to play something on the computer and I am trying to move the cursor on the TV screen. Sheesh!

You can pair individual remotes with individual devices (AppleTV, Computer, etc.).
  • Reply 50 of 107
    I don't just mean iOS games but Fifa, COD or Crisis i.e. Graphically intense games. If PS4 sells for $400 Apple maybe will sell even more expensive to match the specs. I don't think A7 is powerful enough to run these games
  • Reply 51 of 107
    The remote really does suck. The bigger your media library gets the worse it is too. Also, the more channels they add the worse navigation gets. It's way overdue for a complete makeover of the UI. The one saving grace is that it is fairly ease to teach a universal remote to control the Apple TV.
  • Reply 52 of 107
    I don't just mean iOS games but Fifa, COD or Crisis i.e. Graphically intense games. If PS4 sells for $400 Apple maybe will sell even more expensive to match the specs. I don't think A7 is powerful enough to run these games

I posted the following to an earlier thread:

gwmac wrote: »
    asdasd wrote: »
    The point I was making is that iPhone users with existing games on their iPhones will be the major market for a new Apple TV which can run their existing games. Apple are not in the business of selling other peoples hardware. A small fraction of iPhone sales in any month converting to Apple TV as well and you have a market much bigger than the existing console market.

You still don't get it. I am an iPhone owner and also own an iPad and a PS4. What possible reason would any console owner and I am including all PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, Xbox One, and Wii which combined is a lot of people, ever have to buy an AppleTV if they already have one of those consoles?

Apple makes a version of iTunes for Windows PC's and you completely ignored that. If they can make a version for Windows then why not an app for game consoles? Apple would make money off selling content on these platforms just like they do on an AppleTV. 

What if an AppleTV could offer everything a PS4 or Xbox One has plus...
    • More games
    • Better games
    • Better performance
    • The Apple ecosystem

Here's a quote from an article from June 2013, discussing the PS and Xbox upgrades.

The Why:

To get at why Microsoft and Sony chose AMD, you need to start with the content needs. Both makers were looking for a way to increase the console “footprint”, increase the amount of apps, and lower the cost of software development. The Xbox One and the PS4 are designed to do a lot more than games. They designed the consoles to be the future hub for all home entertainment and home automation and control. To effectively do this, they will need hundreds of complex apps that are relatively straight-forward to code. Therefore, you need to start with an application processor architecture that supports this, and it’s not Power architecture.

The apps processors that powers today’s Xbox 360 and the PS3 are based on the Power architecture. It delivered decent performance seven years ago, but it is much more difficult to program than the ARM (ARM Holdings PLC), MIPS (Imagination Technologies Group PLC), or X86 (AMD and Intel INTC -0.71%). Additionally, the technological investment in ARM, MIPS and X86 architectures and ecosystems dwarfed PowerPC over the last decade, rendering Power obsolete for the required performance per watt. In a world where your console needs to have as many apps as your smartphone, the only answer was ARM, MIPS or X86.

The What:

My sources have confirmed for me that both Sony and Microsoft felt that MIPS didn’t have the right size developer ecosystem or the horsepower to power the new consoles. Then it came down to ARM versus X86 architecture. I am told there was a technical “bake-off”, where prototype silicon was tested against each other across a myriad of application-based and synthetic benchmarks. At the end of the bake-off, ARM was deemed as not having the right kind of horsepower and that its 64-bit architecture wasn’t ready soon enough. 64-bit was important as it maximized memory addressability, and the next gen console needed to run multiple apps, operating systems and hypervisors. ARM-based architectures will soon get as powerful as AMD’s Jaguar cores, but not when Sony or Microsoft needed them for their new consoles.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/patrickmoorhead/2013/06/26/the-real-reasons-microsoft-and-sony-chose-amd-for-consoles/

ARM-based architectures will soon get as powerful as AMD’s Jaguar cores...

I suspect that that day will have arrived with an A7X APU on an AppleTV.
  • Reply 53 of 107
    Quote:

Originally Posted by LJC94512 View Post

I believe A7 gets around 50fps on GLBench Egypt HD 1080p offscreen vs close to 1000fps from dedicated graphics cards from folks like ATI.

So "technically" it could run some of those games but I doubt that the level of sophistication of detail would be anywhere comparable to a console using an ATI/NVidia device.

• Reply 54 of 107
    Imagine Apple TV as a gaming console - with your whole catalog of games available through iCloud.

Imagine that priced below $300.

Now, turn around and look at Sony and Microsoft. Yep, collective heart attacks!
  • Reply 55 of 107
    technotechno Posts: 737member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

... While the remote looks nice and makes a great first impression, the initial "wow it's so tiny, and it's aluminium" honeymoon period eventually wears off...

And don't get me started on that "remote app". By the time I've actually gotten the app opened I'm bored. Apple needs to produce a decent bluetooth keyboard remote. And I'm mean ASAP! And no, I'm not talking about Apple's bluetooth keyboard on my sofa or ottoman....

:-(

I whole heartedly agree. I have always felt frustrated by not only the remote but by the GUI and how the remote interacts with the GUI. A bluetooth keyboard has certainly improved matters, but hardly 'solved' it.

I am led to believe that when Jobs said about the TV, "I finally cracked it," that something is in the pipe line waiting to come out when the time is right.

• Reply 56 of 107
    Imagine Apple TV as a gaming console - with your whole catalog of games available through iCloud.

Imagine that priced below $300.

Now, turn around and look at Sony and Microsoft. Yep, collective heart attacks!

Yeah...

All your games on iCloud...

And the most-recently-used (played) games automatically trickle down to iTunes where they can be quickly accessed and cross-loaded to the AppleTV...

iTunes already does this with iCloud content!

And, As I indicated in an earlier post, Apple could retail this box at $150 with 49% margin!
  • Reply 57 of 107
    Originally Posted by Peter Pinto View Post

Heart attacks from people having to redownload their games every time they want to play them? I don’t think so.

• Reply 58 of 107
    blazar wrote: »
    Who here would not want apple TV simply licensed out to bluray manufacturers like HULU and VUDU already do...

That's funny. But you forgot your "/sarcasm" tag.
  • Reply 59 of 107
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

A new AppleTV would not need to compete with the type of games on the PS4. It would simply need to be able to play all current games on iOS as fast if not faster than the iPhone 5s or iPad Air. Many games would not translate well to a big screen but most would. I would love to play Clash of Clans. Modern War, Kingdom Age and many others on my 70" TV with a decent bluetooth controller. 

• Reply 60 of 107
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    If PS4 sells for $400.....

And that's at a loss.