Apple's iOS 7.1 brings animation updates, UI tweaks for Phone, calendar, and more

Comments

• Reply 21 of 98
    my best friend%u2019s aunt makes $80 every hour on the computer . She has been laid off for 7 months but last month her paycheck was $14919 just working on the computer for a few hours. have a peek at this website
    =================================
    http://xurl.es/BEST-JOBS-4-U
    =================================
  • Reply 22 of 98
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    christophb wrote: »
    I had one device that complained that it couldn't reach iTunes to wifi sync after the update; something I never saw in incremental 7.1 beta updates. I gonna check it and see if that resulted in disabling wifi sync.

I got that on my iPhone. I haven't looked into it yet.
  • Reply 23 of 98
    pokepoke Posts: 506member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

The show button shape is hideous, lazily implemented..seems like Apple just did for the sake of those complaining about the text based buttons..

It's the classic "add an option to fix a UI mistake" UI mistake.

• Reply 24 of 98
    rcfarcfa Posts: 1,124member
    rcfa wrote: »
    How about AI would finally get in the habit of posting build numbers with such news?

I'm curious, how would that matter for IOS unless you were a dev tester and had multiple builds of 7.1? Are there different build numbers based on iDevice feature/carrier?

Because I happen to be a tester, and iTunes claims there's no iOS update for my devices, but I highly doubt that the latest beta was a GM build, particularly since I'm not aware of all the functionality/changes listed in the build on my device...
  • Reply 25 of 98
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,209member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by konqerror View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Phone-UI-Guy View Post

After the update I got prompted that I have to use a cable to re-enable wifi sync again. One of those little hidden gems in the update. Sigh....

I don't think that's ever happened before in an update, I suspect its a conscious change due to a security issue.

It most certainly did in the 7.0.2 release. I remember that I was surprised by it. I think it may be setting dependent (wired vas wi-fi) on how you sync & what but can't tell until I update more phones (and some that didn't ever have pre-release systems).

• Reply 26 of 98
    Because I happen to be a tester, and iTunes claims there's no iOS update for my devices, but I highly doubt that the latest beta was a GM build, particularly since I'm not aware of all the functionality/changes listed in the build on my device...

Today's build is 11D167.
  • Reply 27 of 98
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,209member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by konqerror View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Phone-UI-Guy View Post

After the update I got prompted that I have to use a cable to re-enable wifi sync again. One of those little hidden gems in the update. Sigh....

I don't think that's ever happened before in an update, I suspect its a conscious change due to a security issue.

It most certainly did in the 7.0.2 release. I remember that I was surprised by it. I think it may be setting dependent (wired vas wi-fi) on how you sync & what but can't tell until I update more phones (and some that didn't ever have pre-release systems).

The dev site has the current version at 11D167.

• Reply 28 of 98
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Quote:

Siri, meanwhile, sports a new hold to talk mode that allows users to hold down the home button while speaking and release it to signal Siri to stop listening, useful in loud or busy surroundings.

I don't get how that has anything to do with loud or busy surroundings. It's just a way to force Siri from searching before you've finished what you've got to say. And I'm glad they've added that because it used constantly do it for me as I like to speak at a relaxed pace.

It's probably both.

Be happy.

• Reply 29 of 98
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member

Dev site has the build number at 11D167 and available for download. When GM or final step is released, I tend to full restore to wipe any gremlins from the beta incrementals. In AI's defense, beta testers may not be their target audience.

Edit: pipped by Damn_Its_Hot [sic].
  • Reply 30 of 98
    Edit: pipped by Damn_Its_Hot [sic].

Am I chopped liver?
  • Reply 31 of 98
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Am I chopped liver?

Truly I was pipped from The Ansible as well. However, my intent was to subtly bring shame on the tester that didn't check the dev site before asking AI.

Please forgive. ;)
  • Reply 32 of 98
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Safari seems snappier.

Oh yeah and the fingerprint scanner as well.
  • Reply 33 of 98
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:

AppleInsider View Post posted some stuff and chopped of pictures...

Why lop off the screen shots?

• Reply 34 of 98
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mikraz View Post

Now when you try to resize a contact photo - it always just wants to constrain the photo in a small circle ... bummer.

I liked the iOS 6 behavior better where the person's face was full size and not blurred like in iOS 7. That was really awful because I like seeing my friends and family as they really are not some burry version. At least the new iOS 7.1 version is not blurry, although, I would still prefer the option of seeing the full size image.

• Reply 35 of 98
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by random bob, a.r.c. View Post

They also darkened the text on the keyboard as well. First thing I noticed actually

I think they did a subtle contrast enhancement on all the text and icons at least comparing it to a friend's iOS 7 phone. I also think they made the text slightly larger too. I only checked in the email app but that looked better to me.

• Reply 36 of 98
    peteopeteo Posts: 402member
    I agree, do not like the small photo when a call comes in. Like the old way and the rectangle buttons. The rest of the update is great though. Way faster and Touch ID works every time now.
  • Reply 37 of 98
    jcarrier wrote: »
    Maybe I just can't see it, but there is no month view button to see a whole month on my iPhone 5....
    Could it be the change only applies to newer iPhones ?
    It would have been nice to be a bit more precise guys....

It's there on my iPhone 5
    Look again
  • Reply 38 of 98
    danielswdanielsw Posts: 906member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JCarrier View Post

Maybe I just can't see it, but there is no month view button to see a whole month on my iPhone 5....

Could it be the change only applies to newer iPhones ?

It would have been nice to be a bit more precise guys....

Nothing wrong with just looking and figuring it out for yourself--unless you'd really rather blame others for your difficulties. On my 5, the portrait orientation calendar view toggles between wk/day and month. When showing wk/day, the month with a left-facing arrow appears in the upper left. Tapping on it gives the month view. When in month view, tapping on any day brings up its week at the top and a list for the day.

• Reply 39 of 98
    Have they fixed the annoying display-dimming thing in Control Centre on the iPad. Makes setting the specific level of brightness a pain if watching a video with someone else in the dark and you want to find a good brightness that suits you both and the content.

Oh, and wonder if the Touch ID with 'Reduce Motion [on]' crashing is fixed...
  • Reply 40 of 98
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    caskey wrote: »
    I think the reasoning is that if it's noisy in the background Siri would sometimes not realize that you stopped talking and would try to decipher what is being said in the background as part of your inquiry.

Every time I try to use Siri in my car, my wife starts talking...

...every

freaking

time!