Rumor again claims Apple's jumbo-sized 5.5" iPhone will launch after new, larger 4.7" model

Comments

• Reply 61 of 149
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

That still doesn't sound like Apple would be changing direction.

I think you are just changing the goalposts.

5 degree change or 180 degree change is a change...reasonably one could conclude we are talking about a smaller course correction rather than a 180 degree change.

• Reply 62 of 149
    atlappleatlapple Posts: 496member

Hopefully it will have a blu ray drive.

• Reply 63 of 149
    Quote:

Originally Posted by icoco3 View Post

5 degree change or 180 degree change is a change...reasonably one could conclude we are talking about a smaller course correction rather than a 180 degree change.

Apple has already gone from 3.5 to 4.

I see no change in the direction that Apple is going if Apple puts a larger screen in its next phone.

• Reply 64 of 149
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

I use two hands regardless, so does my Wife, so do most, if not all, of my friends.

Keep the 4" for people like yourself.

Give people a choice by having a larger phone as well. (but that has already been said)

At the mall, I noticed that more people use 2 hands than 1 hand. Seems like the youngest use 1 handed the most, probably casual social media use.

Bottom line is this:

the growing majority don't just see it as a phone, they see it as a mobile computing device.  and if given the choice, most would prefer to carry around one mobile device, not two (or three)... and it is there that a larger iPhone would be valuable.

I can see a 4.7" iPhone on the very near horizon.  5.5" later.

• Reply 65 of 149
    Quote:

Originally Posted by drewys808 View Post

At the mall, I noticed that more people use 2 hands than 1 hand. Seems like the youngest use 1 handed the most, probably casual social media use.

Bottom line is this:

the growing majority don't just see it as a phone, they see it as a mobile computing device.  and if given the choice, most would prefer to carry around one mobile device, not two (or three)... and it is there that a larger iPhone would be valuable.

I can see a 4.7" iPhone on the very near horizon.  5.5" later.

I stick my phone in my front pocket. If it was 4.7 to 5 then it would be a lot better for me, easier to see, and I could still stick it in my pocket.

As you say, it's more than just a phone and, in my opinion, having a larger screen allows you to use one device instead of two.

• Reply 66 of 149
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SirLance99 View Post

Ok my friend. You can't have a valid discussion.  I'm seriously trying to see your point of view but you fail to explain it.

What are you going to say when Apple actually does make a larger form factor phone? What will you say if it actually sells more than the 4" form factor?

It took you awhile to realize it...don't forget that "block" is a very useful feature. :-)

He (and others) will say what they did when the iPad Mini was introduced...pretty much nothing. Don't think that they think like you.

I'm 100% against Apple catering to every tom/dick/harry but i believe...that a variety of display sizes is a necessary and valuable evolution of the mobile computing space (like the iPad Mini proved and the 4.7" iPhone will prove).

• Reply 67 of 149
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Ok my friend. You can't have a valid discussion.  I'm seriously trying to see your point of view but you fail to explain it.

1. Incorrect statement.

2. Response correcting said statement.

3. Claim that response does not pertain to statement.

4. Proof that response pertains to statement, further response to original statement.

5. Claim that discussion is not occurring, claim that no response has been made.

If people can reduce your “argument” to this, you’re REALLY bad at it.

Originally Posted by drewys808 View Post

It took you awhile to realize it...don't forget that "block" is a very useful feature. :-)

Yes, sticking your fingers in your ears is quite the adult response.

He (and others) will say what they did when the iPad Mini was introduced...pretty much nothing.

So you, as him, are just ignoring everything I’ve said about the mini since its launch, huh.

I'm 100% against Apple catering to every tom/dick/harry but i believe...that a variety of display sizes is a necessary and valuable evolution of the mobile computing space (like the iPad Mini proved and the 4.7" iPhone will prove).

The halves of that statement are mildly contradictory.

• Reply 68 of 149

First off, there is no way to claim that people who use phablets "look like fools" and "do not know what they want" and then deny that you are casting aspersions on them in any way.

Second, all of the claims of how phablets are inefficient, cumbersome etc. ignore the reality that people buy such things all the time. Case in point: the SUV craze, which would still be going on if the price of gas had not tripled. Even today, people still often buy cars that are far larger than needed, are loaded with expensive options that are rarely used, yet no one claims that their buyers "look like fools" or "do not know whether they want a car, a truck or a minivan" when they buy an SUV (even the smaller, more fuel-efficient hybrids).

So, the animus against phablets is really animus against Android, plain and simple. Lots of people have years of arguments and emotion invested in the fact that Android's failure is inevitable, that Android manufacturers are hemorraghing money, and that any day now all of Apple's competitors are going to just give up and Apple is going to enjoy the same kind of challenged dominance in mobile devices that they once enjoyed with MP3 players. And any little fleeting success that any company has with Android beyond selling cheap devices in emerging markets to virtually no profit is due to copying Apple.

So the real deal is that were Apple to come out with their own phablet, it would A) be an admission that Android devices are selling and making money for their manufacturers and app programmers, so much so that it would provoke a response from Apple and B) it would be a device that sold on its own, without being a copy of an Apple design, or selling because of somehow tricking people into believing that they were purchasing an I-Phone.

That is why comments like "proof please" are made to "as many millions of people use larger form factors each and everyday" ... it would be an admission that Android devices - and specifically an Android device that no one would ever confuse for an Apple device and a high margin Android device and not a toy or developing market item - are actually selling.

It is the same reason why sales estimates from credible third parties are dismissed (with claims that it only represents devices shipped to stores and not sold ... as if retailers would keep buying devices - and doing so in larger numbers each quarter - if they were not selling) and the same reason why growing revenue from the Google Play and Amazon App stores keeps getting dismissed.

"The larger form factor is called an I-Pad" ... ridiculous. Who is going to carry around a 7 inch I-Pad in their pocket? But lots of people are carrying around 5' Android phones. The difference between a 4' screen and a 5' Samsung Galaxy or Google Nexus is not that much. It would be one thing if we were talking about the 6.3' Samsung Galaxy Mega, or the 6.8' Hisense X1, or perhaps even the 5.7' phone. But the only reason to make an utterly false claim that the difference between 4' and 5' is so drastic (no, the extra inch will not change the form factor) is secretly not wanting to admit that the Android manufacturers made a quality, commercially viable product that is worthy for Apple to emulate in the first place. Basically, these folks are willing to deprive Apple consumers of a product that they have a legitimate want and use case for and Apple of billions in profits because they prefer it to acknowledging that someone other than Apple was capable of making a good product.

So, they are very willing to make the ridiculous claim that a 50 year old guy whose eyesight and hand precision isn't what it used to be ... hey, it stinks to be you. Either take your 7' tablet with you when  you are jogging or playing in the parks with your grandkids, or get you an HTC One (the consensus best non-Apple smartphone) and "look like a fool" (your words, not mine) because that one extra inch of diagonal screen space gives you a device that you can actually see well enough to use easily.

• Reply 69 of 149

Also, there is no real difference between an I-Phone and a 5' HTC One (the best Android phone):

http://www.phonearena.com/phones/HTC-One_id7678/size#/phones/HTC-One_id7678/size/Apple-iPhone-5s/phones/7710

• Reply 70 of 149
    Doesn't Apple get that only they (and maybe just maybe a select few others) care about thinness? We don't care about how thin it is, just give us longer lasting batteries and devices... I'm sure 90% of all people would sacrifice a few mm or .mm if it meant the device would last twice as long on a charge...

Totally agree. And I don't have "paw of beast" (whatever that is)
  • Reply 71 of 149
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

What I don't understand is why some are ok with 2 different sized iPads, but not 2 different sized phones.

I agree.

The only flaw Apple had in their reasoning of one handed operational use is that people do indeed have different sized hands.

Small hands - like mine - love the 3.5" iPhone.

Big hands will love the 4,7" iPhone.

Of course, I'd run into troubles if I were to buy the 4,7" iPhone. As much as a Basketball player - with giant hands - will feel clumsy with a 3.5" iPhone. In short: different hands, different sized iPhones.

• Reply 72 of 149
    In terms of the battery life, it's possible to still have a bigger screen and good battery life. The LG G2 has excellent battery life with the screen it has. I hope this 4.7 inch screen is true, I would love it!
  • Reply 73 of 149
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    In terms of the battery life, it's possible to still have a bigger screen and good battery life. The LG G2 has excellent battery life with the screen it has. I hope this 4.7 inch screen is true, I would love it!

Of course, it all depends on the power consumption of the parts in question (not just the display, but the backlight, touch matrix, and GPU & RAM if the resolution is higher) as it's paired with a battery. The large display devices came about because they were adding large, power hungry LTE chips that needed a bigger battery so the larger display helped obfuscate that fact without making the device too thick for a given footprint.

I personally we're going to see at least one larger size this year and an article yesterday by Jean-Louis Gassée and subsequent commentary by John Gruber (both listed below) got me thinking that perhaps the "phablet" will be a better fit for a large segment of the population, especially as the volume of the devices gets smaller over time.
  • Reply 74 of 149
    Quote:

Originally Posted by WS11 View Post

The OnePlus One has a 5.5" display inside a chassis size that is commonly used with devices that have a 5" display:

OnePlus One: 5.5in full HD screen, Snapdragon 801 and 13MP camera for just £290 

Here is the OnePlus One 

That looks sexy

• Reply 75 of 149
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I personally we're going to see at least one larger size this year and an article yesterday by Jean-Louis Gassée and subsequent commentary by John Gruber (both listed below) got me thinking that perhaps the "phablet" will be a better fit for a large segment of the population, especially as the volume of the devices gets smaller over time.

I agree that the user interface of the iPad needs to mature.

However, I don't see how making the iPad screen smaller will create a better user experience?

Aren't they mixing two scenarios?

1. On the go = iPhone

2. In the couch = iPad

3. At the desk = Mac

I'd be very surprised if Apple would release their 5.5" iPhablet. It would be too clumsy when you're out in the world and too small for in the couch. :???:

• Reply 76 of 149
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,921member
    Many unfounded rumors will keep flying around until real announcement of iphone 6 that look legitimate. One thing for sure in our intuition and belief that there is/are large screen size iphones coming this year. That is given. This time around, consumers of all smartphone users(iPhone, android, windows) not just hope but they expect, want and need larger screen size iphone. Apple can't afford to mess it up.
  • Reply 77 of 149
    jony0jony0 Posts: 380member
    Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

4" phone is here to stay, my friend and I don't see it get replaced by any larger size. 

4.7"/4.8" is a great size even though I prefer sweet spot 5". This will be Apple primary iPhone.

I also think 4" is here to stay as the iPhone and I like the idea of the larger one being called Air or something else as a distinct species. As for the size, I suspect they might go for the maximum that can be used with one hand for practical purposes and for some PR continuity.

5.5"? I don't see it as an iPhone. However, I speculate that Apple may use that size for a new category such as game dedicated device (iGame, iPlay or iPhab...whatever). Reality check, playing gaming on current 4" device is horrible experience. So, 5.5" game device with cellular/call capability but Apple refuse to call it iPhone Max or iPad Nano even though it's still possible.

I also don't see 5.5" as an iPhone or iPhablet per se, although they might simply not want to leave any price point or category behind, as they did with the iPod. However if all the smoke of that screen size might lead to some fire, I've been leaning towards the idea of a so-called iPad Nano, especially the LTE version, so that Apple could finally start leveraging FaceTime Audio to bypass the carriers' voice plan with the same non-contract data only iPad plan, in what would appear to be at first a relatively small market that would not be as threatening to the carriers. This has happened before with the original Mac-only iTunes Store which would only amount to be a very small market that could be seen as an experiment by the publishers at first. And as with internet tethering, different carriers might opt to block it but barring any collusion, the market forces could prevail as long as some carriers do let it go through. This could foster the beginning of the end of voice plans.

• Reply 78 of 149
    Quote:

Originally Posted by HAMETA View Post

Why Are You So SELF-CENTERED ?

Half of i-Phone Users Are WOMEN.

They Haven't Got PAW OF BEAST like YOU !

Umadbro? You seem mad.

• Reply 79 of 149
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,440moderator
    swissmac2 wrote: »
    I don't really care about the physical size so long as the magnification of the screen contents is improved; if you're over 40 and need reading glasses, text and icons on the iPhones right now are just too small to read.

That gets said quite a lot but there's a video comparing the 4.7" HTC One and iPhone 5 here:

[VIDEO]

In every application test, the iPhone's text is larger than the HTC: the default browser text, the Facebook app, the Twitter app. None of the text on the iPhone is smaller to the point that it would require the use of glasses vs a larger phone. You'd actually need glasses to use the Facebook app on the HTC:

Myth busted. That's not to say they need to stick to 4" though. If 4.7" feels ok on the iPhone in physical form, that's what matters. The video shows that 4.7" is too large to use single-handedly:

"even people with large sized hands are going to have trouble moving around the screen without taking out a second hand to steady the phone"

He adds "which is not that big of a deal". HTC has the edge-to-edge display style but the display itself is far from the edge. Apple doesn't have to put the pixels all the way to the edge like with OLED or similar but it would be good if they could get the current display to the edge, just with a very small black border to let the eye see the content border. A 4.3" or 4.4" display would fit roughly in the same physical size of phone and be negligibly smaller than a 4.7" phone without losing one-handed use. It's not just using it one-handed, people need to not drop the phone and having it too tall while unlocking with touch id makes that a risk.

The reason to have two iPad models is to avoid Android tablets undercutting them in price too much. A larger phone doesn't solve this problem as it won't be cheaper. It might satisfy more users but only the portion willing to spend $650 or more on a phone, which is not all the people who buy large Android phones. The S4 isn't even $650, it's only the Galaxy Note that's in that price range. If that's an extra 10%, it's better than nothing but they might easily get 10% with an edge to edge display or some other compelling feature like tactile touch, HDR video, depth sensors, mobile payments etc.

• Reply 80 of 149
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

I sure hope so. I'll be able to come back to the iPhone is Apple makes a larger screen.

The sort of already do: the LTE Retina iPad Mini. And without the overpriced voice plan the operating costs are cheaper as well!

If you're going big, go BIG....