Apple's iPad business isn't collapsing, but the rest of the tablet industry sure is

Comments

• Reply 21 of 167
    if those other devices are continuing to gain traction while their sales remain flat then iPad is REALLY continuing to gain traction at 16 million quarter after quarter.

I'm really looking forward to my next iPad, but my current one still serves rather well, so it's replacement (someday) oughta be killer! Stoked, dudes!
  • Reply 22 of 167
    stefstef Posts: 87member
    Daniel always works on the assumption that Apple knows what it's doing. Ya think?
  • Reply 23 of 167
    tjwolftjwolf Posts: 424member
    If running Office (or most Android apps for that matter) is a primary decider for you, why are you even looking at the Amazon Fire? Hardware wise that tablet may be the bomb, but there isn't much software and the version of Android Amazon uses is unrecognizable from the original and much more restricted.
  • Reply 24 of 167
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    pfisher wrote: »
    I've been looking for a good Android tablet, but they only one that seems any good is the Amazon Kindle Fire.

Just give up and get an Apple iPad. Seriously.
  • Reply 25 of 167
    benjamin frostbenjamin frost Posts: 7,203member
    Each of Dilger's paragraphs is an arrow in the heart of Mr. PC.

The iPad is Apple's not so secret weapon aimed at the heart of enterprise. No doubt the usual Apple-baiters (GG, Business Insider etc.) will point to Microsoft's everlasting 90% marketshare, blithely ignorant of the sea-change taking place. I liked also the observation of the tech press, who have a vested interest in there being lots of similar technology companies constantly producing lots of seemingly-novel, gimmicky products—the antithesis of Apple.

The PC market and analysts DED cites can be seen as a corpulent serpent, writhing in its death throes as the consequences of its gluttonous agony become apparent all too late.

I enjoyed your last paragraph with its sentence-length worthy of Jane Austen.
  • Reply 26 of 167
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pfisher View Post

I've been looking for a good Android tablet, but they only one that seems any good is the Amazon Kindle Fire.

I'm on my second Asus MeMO that I have to return because it keeps freezing up.

Lenovos have problems after awhile, as well.

I was looking at the Dell one that runs Windows and comes with Office, but reviews bad as the full Office is not designed for 8" tablets. Not many apps out there that will run good on an 8" tablet running full Windows.

It would be nice to have a non-Apple product for once. Looks like the Kindle Fire is the way to go.

Didn't look at how good Samsung tablets are, because I won't buy Samsung.

Good dog for avoiding Samsung!

Bad dog for considering Android!

• Reply 27 of 167
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Negafox View Post

I have been happy with my 2013 Nexus 7. Fast performance, nice high-res display and I have separate user account between family members.

I take it you share your phone between family too.

• Reply 28 of 167
    Quote:

Originally Posted by WS11 View Post

That's the ASUS Transformer Book Trio (Android tablet and Windows PC inside the keyboard dock).

This is the ASUS T100:

What do you want for posting pretty pictures? A medal?

• Reply 29 of 167
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Danox View Post

Can't fake the earnings reports or the internet usage reports for long.

I wouldn't be so sure about the earnings report in Samsung or Google's case, as we now know that they are habitual thieves and liars. Happily, there are some independent internet usage reports which tell the truth.

• Reply 30 of 167
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member
    Not that i want to disagree with the Cook, but the two major reasons are not the ones he quotes. They are greed and incompetence, with a layer of spin doctoring datanalystry.

Now, why does he even have to adress Gartner and IDC? Can't he just dismiss them as the incompetent crooks they are?
  • Reply 31 of 167
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lightknight View Post

Not that i want to disagree with the Cook, but the two major reasons are not the ones he quotes. They are greed and incompetence, with a layer of spin doctoring datanalystry.

Now, why does he even have to adress Gartner and IDC? Can't he just dismiss them as the incompetent crooks they are?

Dismissal is a dangerous thing to do. It's an option, but in this case I think it's better to dismantle the enemy.

• Reply 32 of 167
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member
    Quote:

I was looking at the Dell one that runs Windows and comes with Office, but reviews bad as the full Office is not designed for 8" tablets. Not many apps out there that will run good on an 8" tablet running full Windows.

It would be nice to have a non-Apple product for once. Looks like the Kindle Fire is the way to go.

Your struggle with finding a non-Apple alternative is exactly why I don't bother with one.  At what point do you stop to think of how much the value of your own time is wasted in dealing with such inferior products?  You could be just "using" a well-designed and well though-out product, yet you seem to keep going back and not only wasting your money, but your time in finding something that will only fail you again.

To say "It would be nice to have a non-Apple product for once" doesn't resonate with me.  Nice for what?  My Apple products work.  I don't have to deal with figuring them out, or failing way before their time.  I can use them, then walk away to do other stuff (like have a life) instead of going here-and-there to return/buy/repair stuff.  Am I missing something?

Kudos to you for skipping Samsung.  I personally think their end-products are complete garbage, and their business ethics are embarrassing to say the least.  I too will not buy anything directly from them.  It sucks that Apple has to be in bed with Samsung to get components from them, but at least Apple has them on a very short leash.

• Reply 33 of 167
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    $7000 for the "information" in that IDC report! Just imagine how much they could charge if it wasn't blatant misinformation.

As for IDC's (and others') motives, I can think of several theories, ranked loosely in the order I find likely.

- Some people (including some journalists?) may buy the report because it supports what THEY want to believe/say, creating a market for selling bad info. IDC is just providing the product that is in demand (while pretending it's something else). I wouldn't think this would be a large number of buyers, but who knows.

- There may be a money trail from Apple's competitors to IDC. (May sound unlikely, but similar things have happened before.)

- IDC has people whose brains are just as flawed as anyone else's--and they have deep-rooted prejudgements against Apple and Apple success. You see this all the time in "journalism" and politics, so maybe you see it here too. They are claiming to be scientific and factual, but in reality are letting emotion guide their narrative and are somehow justifying to themselves the factual changes (a.k.a. lies) necessary to do so.

- They are working to cover for past mistakes, and are propping them up rather than admitting them. Maybe this decision is good for their reputation, since people don't seem to pay attention? Or maybe they are shooting themselves in the foot. But it's easy to dance around and contradict yourself and just claim that "market forces" and "technologies" are changing fast and you're nimbly adjusting your numbers accordingly.

- Stock manipulation (legal or not; shady either way).
  • Reply 34 of 167
    eric38eric38 Posts: 100member
    The last paragraph sums it up.

The upgrade cycle on iPads is so much longer than that of an iPhone. Where iPhones will be replaced every 1.5 years, iPads, especially with the power they pack today, can be used for 3-5 years. I have an iPad Air128gb that I'll probably have for the next couple years. I had an iPad 2 that I loved, but upgraded for the Retina screen. I think many folks are in the same boat. They are content with using their iPads for a few years.

With more and more iPhone users and the installed base Apple will continue to grow iPad sales at 10% plus for the next couple years. Touch ID and a larger iPad will help.

I thought Amazon sold more than a thousand Fires a day. That's a pathetic number, for practically giving their hardware away. How much longer can this last? That is, companies selling tablets at a loss or minimal gain (everyone but a Apple). We've already seen Amazon report bad numbers. At what point will prices go up?
  • Reply 35 of 167
    negafoxnegafox Posts: 480member
    I take it you share your phone between family too.

They are welcome to borrow my phone at home, but otherwise seperate devices. Otherwise, it would be a tad difficult to call my family when traveling internationally for work purposes, or attending conventions.
  • Reply 36 of 167
    negafox wrote: »
    They are welcome to borrow my phone at home, but otherwise seperate devices. Otherwise, it would be a tad difficult to call my family when traveling internationally for work purposes, or attending conventions.

Why not use the iPad for FaceTiming your family when you're away working? Oh, I forgot—your iPad is at home being shared.
  • Reply 37 of 167
    negafoxnegafox Posts: 480member
    Why not use the iPad for FaceTiming your family when you're away working? Oh, I forgot—your iPad is at home being shared.

I use FaceTime (or an equivelent) occasionally when on WiFi.
  • Reply 38 of 167
    ws11ws11 Posts: 159member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

What do you want for posting pretty pictures? A medal?

I want Daniel to correct his mistake.

• Reply 39 of 167
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Negafox View Post

I have been happy with my 2013 Nexus 7. Fast performance, nice high-res display and I have separate user account between family members.

Nowadays, no Internet search engine company can be taken seriously unless they are also making a tablet.

Quote:

Nowadays, no book retailer can be taken seriously unless they are also making a tablet.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pfisher View Post

Nowadays, no PC clone maker can be taken seriously unless they are also making a tablet.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pfisher View Post

Nowadays, no kitchen appliance and TV manufacturer can be taken seriously unless they are also making a tablet.

• Reply 40 of 167
    ws11ws11 Posts: 159member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DogCowabunga View Post

if those other devices are continuing to gain traction while their sales remain flat then iPad is REALLY continuing to gain traction at 16 million quarter after quarter.

I'm really looking forward to my next iPad, but my current one still serves rather well, so it's replacement (someday) oughta be killer! Stoked, dudes!

The devices mentioned to be 'gaining traction' are Windows tablets, and their sales are up, not flat, and not down.

Daniel made a mistake in his article about his conclusion on ASUS' numbers which also include the declining Android devices.