Beats acquisition would give Iovine and Dr. Dre senior positions at Apple, report says

Comments

• Reply 441 of 599
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Gee! I wish I had described it as succinctly and as elegantly as you just did! I bet Jimmy does, too ...

I don't know the details, but from what I've been reading it sounds a lot more like Amazon.com's "Mechanical Turk" (which is actually 'made of people').

• Reply 442 of 599
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

1) At you acknowledge it as music.

2) A large part of society didn't think The Beatles were real or good music.

3) The Rolling Stones have been considered by many to have simply stolen their sound to create a lesser, watered down version of The Blues.

Nah, you had to of been there. Legends in a legendary time! ;) Snooping around I Googled this blurb from last year, a meeting between Iovine and Cue. *In 9-5 Mac, AI won't let me post link. They met in March '13.

http://************/2013/03/05/tim-cook-eddy-cue-met-with-beats-ceo-jimmy-iovine-last-month-over-streaming-music-service/

• Reply 443 of 599
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,815member

The borders are open. What's stopping you?

Wow! Nice! So, to be clear, you take my wish that science was more prominent and racism was less, as a reason to suggest I give up my US citizenship and leave? Really? So, what does that say about your views on those subjects exactly?
  • Reply 444 of 599
    Here ya' go:

[VIDEO]

I have the tab for that around here somewhere -- but my hands aren't big enough:\

Hot Tuna memories ...

This guy is a local here and I help him fix his Macs. Talk about talent, and a really nice guy too.

• Reply 445 of 599
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    solipsismx wrote: »

I think we all forgot about this little event, when Steve Jobs talked to Dr. Dre. I know I did.

I certainly enjoyed that more than the calls form AlGore :D
  • Reply 446 of 599
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    The borders are open. What's stopping you?

WTH kind of response is that?!
    That's DED's job: to find a positive spin. Right now, it's just a rumor that's powering Google Ad impressions on this site through the weekend.

I think we should all strive to look at this rumored deal from Apple's perspective. That is not a burden that should be left to just [@]Corrections[/@] or anyone else on AI's writing staff.
  • Reply 447 of 599
    I think we all forgot about this little event, when Steve Jobs talked to Dr. Dre. I know I did.

I saw that live and had totally forgotten. Steve was sure up on his music knowledge!
  • Reply 448 of 599
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    To summarise. So the hive mind has convinced itself that $3.2B is worth it because.

1) the curated playlists are better than genius and this is obvious and worth $3.2B
    2) the headphones - which are much malaigned as far as I can see - will add to apples brand which, for the first time, will be keeping another brand.
    3) Jared Diamond.

And opposition to any of this is racist.

I remain unconvinced.

In particular this seems, even if it does work, to be concentrating on an area of Apples business in decline ( music and iPods - and no these headphones are not really suitable for phones) and in a region where it doesn't need the help, ie the US.
  • Reply 449 of 599
    asdasd wrote: »
    To summarise. So the hive mind has convinced itself that $3.2B is worth it because.

1) the curated playlists are better than genius and this is obvious and worth $3.2B
    2) the headphones - which are much malaigned as far as I can see - will add to apples brand which, for the first time, will be keeping another brand.
    3) Jared Diamond.

I remain unconvinced.

In particular this seems, even if it does work, to be concentrating on an area of Apples business in decline ( music and iPods - and no these headphones are not really suitable for phones) and in a region where it doesn't need the help, ie the US.

IMHO I think the best minds here have all said there is something other than the obvious involved, all else is speculation.
  • Reply 450 of 599
    brlawyerbrlawyer Posts: 828member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

You assume that's all Beats has to offer? Apple is the king of lowballing its supply chain. What makes you think they would overpay for Beats just for "cool"? There has to be more to it, if the offer is truly $3.2 billion. Apple doesn't throw money around like that.

Let's just hope so, because I don't see it (the justifiable reason) right now.

• Reply 451 of 599
    brlawyerbrlawyer Posts: 828member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

3) Jared Diamond.

I remain unconvinced.

Well, the fact that the US calls Obama a "black" (as if his caucasian mother did not exist) says it all...the one-drop rule refuses to die.

• Reply 452 of 599
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    It occurs to me that [some of] you guys are curating a playlist for me and the moment -- I'm all over the place! There's a lot of stuff/covers on YT -- since AI no longer presents audio URLs :D

[VIDEO]

[VIDEO]

[VIDEO]
  • Reply 453 of 599
    brlawyer wrote: »
    Well, the fact that the US calls...

Please let us keep off politics!
  • Reply 454 of 599
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Wow. I followed a link in that article to this page. Just Wow!

http://bgr.com/2014/05/09/apple-beats-acquisition-dr-dre/

• Reply 455 of 599
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    mstone wrote: »
    Wow. I followed a link in that article to this page. Just Wow!

http://bgr.com/2014/05/09/apple-beats-acquisition-dr-dre/

The relation to this story is only circumstantial. The video was uploaded on the eve of the day the story broke but we can only guess when that video was taken or what it was about. Nothing was specifically mentioned. First billionaire in Hip Hop could be wishful thinking or talking about the idea of Beats getting an IPO.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/zackomalleygreenburg/2014/04/30/will-beats-by-dr-dre-follow-spotify-toward-an-ipo/

The only thing we can be sure at this moment is that Beats and Dre have been pushed to the front of the tech media world with this rumour. Could this be the most brilliant rumour ever devised in the tech world?
  • Reply 456 of 599
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

It occurs to me that [some of] you guys are curating a playlist for me and the moment -- I'm all over the place! There's a lot of stuff/covers on YT -- since AI no longer presents audio URLs image

That Martin guitar of Bromberg's sounds so much nicer than that crappy Gibson from your other video post.

• Reply 457 of 599
    solipsismx wrote: »
    The relation to this story is only circumstantial. The video was uploaded on the eve of the day the story broke but we can only guess when that video was taken or what it was about. Nothing was specifically mentioned. First billionaire in Hip Hop could be wishful thinking or talking about the idea of Beats getting an IPO.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/zackomalleygreenburg/2014/04/30/will-beats-by-dr-dre-follow-spotify-toward-an-ipo/

The only thing we can be sure at this moment is that Beats and Dre have been pushed to the front of the tech media world with this rumour. Could this be the most brilliant rumour ever devised in the tech world?

Apple would surely have issued a comment had it been a falsehood ... ??
  • Reply 458 of 599
    mstone wrote: »
    That Martin guitar of Bromberg's sounds so much nicer than that crappy Gibson from your other video post.

Oh no, you'll start the the old Martin v Gibson argument lol, I abandoned both a year or so back for Taylor, sold my D28 for for three times what i paid for it new. ... that said i still like Gibson / Epiphone electric.
  • Reply 459 of 599
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

First billionaire in Hip Hop could be wishful thinking or talking about the idea of Beats getting an IPO.

They are using a lot of past tense. "Shit just changed! Forbes list came out just 2 weeks ago and now they need to change it."

• Reply 460 of 599
    brlawyer wrote: »
    Let's just hope so, because I don't see it (the justifiable reason) right now.

Nor does anyone else really, that's the whole point, we are all having fun speculating as we know Apple is not stupid ...