Beats acquisition would give Iovine and Dr. Dre senior positions at Apple, report says

Comments

• Reply 461 of 599
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,815member
    mstone wrote: »
    They are using a lot of past tense. "Shit just changed! Forbes list came out just 2 weeks ago and now they need to change it."

If it is all true they need to bring back Katie Cotton and sic her on Dre's buddies. :D
  • Reply 462 of 599
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Oh no, you'll start the the old Martin v Gibson argument lol, I abandoned both a year or so back for Taylor, sold my D28 for for three times what i paid for it new. ... that said i still like Gibson / Epiphone electric.

Not really just, that Martin guitar sounds better than that particular Gibson. I have lots of guitars but no Gibson right now, used to. I always liked the Les Paul though. I never did think much of their acoustics. I have a Martin D35 and a couple other acoustics, one Spanish made classical and the other a Larrivee bronze string. All my electrics are Fender as are my amps.

• Reply 463 of 599
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Apple would surely have issued a comment had it been a falsehood ... ??

Apple rarely comments on rumours. Look at all the reports of future iPhones that come out every year that turn out to not be the actual product.

They are using a lot of past tense. "Shit just changed! Forbes list came out just 2 weeks ago and now they need to change it."

Sure, but we still don't know what he is referring. Why can't the Beats board, for example, have agreed to go public? Couldn't that make also reasonably make Dre a billionaire? How often does Forbes update their list? Could this have been recorded about 2 weeks after a previous release?

We simply don't know any to say otherwise wild be a logical fallacy, although based on the information that slowly surfaced since this rumour broke I think Apple could definitely be buying Beats for what I deem a reasonable $3.2 billion, assuming the sales data is correct.
  • Reply 464 of 599
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Apple rarely comments on rumours. Look at all the reports of future iPhones that come out every year that turn out to not be the actual product.
    Sure, but we still don't know what he is referring. Why can't the Beats board, for example, have agreed to go public? Couldn't that make also reasonably make Dre a billionaire? How often does Forbes update their list? Could this have been recorded about 2 weeks after a previous release?

We simply don't know any to say otherwise wild be a logical fallacy, although based on the information that slowly surfaced since this rumour broke I think Apple could definitely be buying Beats for what I deem a reasonable $3.2 billion, assuming the sales data is correct.

It would be the publicity stunt of the decade if Jimmy and Dre cooked this all up.

It's been great entertainment for me though stuck in bed with bronchitis :)
  • Reply 465 of 599
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    But why is that something Apple has to get into? The devices are where the profits are at.

. . .

If that's all they're after, they wouldn't spend $3.2 billion on acquiring Beats.

. . .

There has to be more to this than meets the eye.

Like I said elsewhere, Apple is buying into at least two cultures of the future with this purported acquisition, plus the decades of experience that the principles have proven in establishing the cultures.

Headphones are the "devices" (your term) of the future as well, along with other wearables. Phones and Pods are going to be less important than wearables. (I'm including wearable screens in this formulation.)

In short, Apple is buying a piece of the next generation, both people and technology.
  • Reply 466 of 599
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    That Martin guitar of Bromberg's sounds so much nicer than that crappy Gibson from your other video post.

Oh no, you'll start the the old Martin v Gibson argument lol, I abandoned both a year or so back for Taylor, sold my D28 for for three times what i paid for it new. ... that said i still like Gibson / Epiphone electric.

Wow, you have some 'spensive tastes -- My nephew has a Taylor. I only played it once -- fantastic sound and action!

You now, have me on a guitar kick! Have you ever heard Hawaiian Slack Key guitar? We first heard it live at the Mauna Kea Beach hotel in hawaii in the mid-1980s. The performers were the Kahumoku Brothers -- George and Moses (Mooky). George played a pretty straight 12-string (mainly accompaniment, with a few solos. Mooky played slack-key, syncopated in such a way that it was almost a soliloquy -- if you closed your eyes you'd swear that two separate guitars were playing. Mooky could finger-pick faster than I can think (faster than Doc. Watson, playing Doc's Guitar, even

We Vacationed there for several years, and each time they were part of the entertainment ('course we requested them).

I tried to find some of their music on the web, but most is poor quality -- and a few covers.

... Whoops, Gotta' go! Now look at what you've made me do!

[VIDEO]

Ahh, C'mon Whoopee John ... just listen to that counterpoint!
  • Reply 467 of 599
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    asdasd wrote: »
    To summarise. So the hive mind has convinced itself that $3.2B is worth it because.

1) the curated playlists are better than genius and this is obvious and worth $3.2B
    2) the headphones - which are much malaigned as far as I can see - will add to apples brand which, for the first time, will be keeping another brand.
    3) Jared Diamond.

And opposition to any of this is racist.

I remain unconvinced.

In particular this seems, even if it does work, to be concentrating on an area of Apples business in decline ( music and iPods - and no these headphones are not really suitable for phones) and in a region where it doesn't need the help, ie the US.
    Pretty much. But hey I'm being to conservative and need to open my mind. Samsung has nothing on Miley Cyrus hawking Apple headphones. :D
  • Reply 468 of 599
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Have you ever heard Hawaiian Slack Key guitar? 

Yeah. Slack Key is pretty cool stuff. Here is another example of alternate tuning. Jane looks like she is enjoying it.

• Reply 469 of 599
    Yeah. Slack Key is pretty cool stuff. Here is another example of alternate tuning. Jane looks like she is enjoying it.

<iframe width="640" height="385" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/famYtHftpwE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

Holy Cow!
  • Reply 470 of 599
    For Mother's Day…

[VIDEO]

[SIZE=5][I]And even as a crack fiend, Mama,
    You was always a black queen, Mama.[/I][/SIZE]

I added that lyric to a Mother's Day card one year. I mother was understandably confused. ;)
  • Reply 471 of 599
    Wow, you have some 'spensive tastes -- My nephew has a Taylor. I only played it once -- fantastic sound and action!

You now, have me on a guitar kick! Have you ever heard Hawaiian Slack Key guitar? We first heard it live at the Mauna Kea Beach hotel in hawaii in the mid-1980s. The performers were the Kahumoku Brothers -- George and Moses (Mooky). George played a pretty straight 12-string (mainly accompaniment, with a few solos. Mooky played slack-key, syncopated in such a way that it was almost a soliloquy -- if you closed your eyes you'd swear that two separate guitars were playing. Mooky could finger-pick faster than I can think (faster than Doc. Watson, playing Doc's Guitar, even

We Vacationed there for several years, and each time they were part of the entertainment ('course we requested them).

I tried to find some of their music on the web, but most is poor quality -- and a few covers.

... Whoops, Gotta' go! Now look at what you've made me do!

[VIDEO]

Ahh, C'mon Whoopee John ... just listen to that counterpoint!

I have a huge Leo Kottke collection and his open tuned 12 string work sounds very like what I just Googled Hawaiian Slack Key guitar sounds. Is it the same thing? I've never heard that term. Talking of Leo, I like his singing too, even though he claims he sounds like 'goose farts' . Loved his version of 'Louise'.
  • Reply 472 of 599
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    1) At you acknowledge it as music.

2) A large part of society didn't think The Beatles were real or good music.

3) The Rolling Stones have been considered by many to have simply stolen their sound to create a lesser, watered down version of The Blues.

1- it is
    2- idiots
    3- bigger idiots

:smokey:
  • Reply 473 of 599
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    I think this is the best song off the best album of the 21st century, bar none, and I say that as someone that thinks Kanye is a grade A tool

I'd watch grass grow as long as Rihanna is laying in it. ;)

I must say that I'm impressed with your knowledge of hip hop.
  • Reply 474 of 599
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Here ya' go:

[VIDEO]

I have the tab for that around here somewhere -- but my hands aren't big enough:\

Hot Tuna memories ...

This guy is a local here and I help him fix his Macs. Talk about talent, and a really nice guy too.

A little Dallas Rag -- sounds great ... 'kept ragtime needs to be played slowly!

Then he played Doc's Guitar -- almost as fast as Doc.

I'm a little jealous -- when we lived in Silicon Valley, it seemed that there were always plenty of live guitar performances. We saw Doc and Merle Watson, a couple of times, Bromberg's band 3 times, Jerry Jeff up at Mondavi Mountain Winery, Smothers Brothers, Kingston Trio ... even caught Segovia once at Flint Center :)

... Pissin' in the wind, Blowin' on all your friends ..
  • Reply 475 of 599
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    The relation to this story is only circumstantial. The video was uploaded on the eve of the day the story broke but we can only guess when that video was taken or what it was about. Nothing was specifically mentioned. First billionaire in Hip Hop could be wishful thinking or talking about the idea of Beats getting an IPO.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/zackomalleygreenburg/2014/04/30/will-beats-by-dr-dre-follow-spotify-toward-an-ipo/

The only thing we can be sure at this moment is that Beats and Dre have been pushed to the front of the tech media world with this rumour. Could this be the most brilliant rumour ever devised in the tech world?
    That is such a huge reach solip.

Right- the day of the rumor, they post a video saying that even though the Forbes list just came out, it will need to get updated because Dre is now a billionaire. All a coincidence because now they might have an ipo?

Or- to your other point-- which is more ridiculous- they could have made this last year after the 2013 Forbes list. As if the board approved an ipo the year before for the 2nd quarter of this year?

:no:
  • Reply 476 of 599
    benjamin frostbenjamin frost Posts: 7,203member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Dr. Dre is getting to the point where he might need hearing aids. Perhaps he'll start Hearing Aids by Dre.

He reached the point of needing hearing aids when he made his first album.

• Reply 477 of 599
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Sure, there were rock concerts before, and I've been to plenty myself, and yes, those can be loud and leave your ears ringing for a long time afterwards.

But most people didn't go to a loud rock concert every day. The kids today abusing their ears with ultra loud bass heavy headphones do so every day, for many hours a day.

When I take the subway sometimes, I notice people with headphones on that are so loud, that half of the people on the car can hear it.

Permanent damage can occur from just one event. That isn't to say that longterm damage isn't an issue, but I don't think you can say that headphones at 1/10th the decibels of a concert for 10x the duration will do equal damage.

You're right - it won't do equal damage; the headphones will actually do worse long-term damage. 

• Reply 478 of 599
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mynameisjoe View Post

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet, but we all know Apple is interested in wearables. What makes more sense than wearable headphones? Apple could put an iPod directly into the headphones. Sure Apple could do this without Beats, but Apple has never been very successful in the audio space (headphones/speakers), so it would make sense to buy a company that has had success.

When have headphones ever not been wearable?

• Reply 479 of 599
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I have a huge Leo Kottke collection and his open tuned 12 string work sounds very like what 

There is a ton of open tuning guitar music over at www.youtube.com/candyrat

• Reply 480 of 599
    andysol wrote: »
    That is such a huge reach solip.

Right- the day of the rumor, they post a video saying that even though the Forbes list just came out, it will need to get updated because Dre is now a billionaire. All a coincidence because now they might have an ipo?

Or- to your other point-- which is more ridiculous- they could have made this last year after the 2013 Forbes list. As if the board approved an ipo the year before for the 2nd quarter of this year?

:no:

I made no leap. I offered alternative possibilities based on the available information. Can you prove to me when the video was made? As far as I know there is no requirement for a video to be uploaded the moment it's recorded and I see no time/date stamp. All we can do is speculate and as I clearly stated I think the most likely series of events is that the video is about this purchase but there is nothing in that video to say it must be about the most recent Forbes list or that it can't be about anything else in the world except for this rumoured acquisition. To call it proof of anything is poor reasoning and you're falling into a post hoc, ergo propter hoc logical fallacy.