Apple sued over text messaging issues related to switching away from iPhone

Comments

• Reply 81 of 184
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Grey Silvy View Post

She will use her winnings to buy a new iPhone....LMAO

I switched to an S4 last year and nothing happened. I think and would bet she didn't take the time to disassociate her iCloud account with her phone number and didn't reset/erase the phone before she traded it.

I regularly switch between an S4 and my 5s without issues either.

There are alternatives if you don't like Apple's free messaging service, whatsapp, viber etc.

Wait until you see the mess having several of those linked to your Android contacts can make.

• Reply 82 of 184
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I'm not following.

You specified a user who wants to continue using the phone number to receive iMessages on other Apple devices.

• Reply 83 of 184
    leighrleighr Posts: 255member
    The simple way to do this, if you no longer have the device, is to go to https://supportprofile.apple.com/ and log in with your Apple ID, then deactivate your old phone. Quite simple really, and quicker and cheaper than a court case.
  • Reply 84 of 184
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    hill60 wrote: »
    You specified a user who wants to continue using the phone number to receive iMessages on other Apple devices.

So why isn't that a problem if you only had an iPhone and no other Apple device in which to receive an iMessage? The bottom line is there needs to be a system in place in which you remove a device or a device and phone number.

edit: The original reply was based on incorrectly readying your comment to say "on non Apple devices."
  • Reply 85 of 184
    leighrleighr Posts: 255member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    So why isn't that a problem if you only had an iPhone and no other Apple device in which to receive an iMessage? The bottom line is there needs to be a system in place in which you remove a device or a device and phone number."

In case you didn't see the post above, there is a simple way. Use a computer that is connected to the internet to go to https://supportprofile.apple.com/ and log in with your Apple ID, then deactivate your old phone. Quite simple really, and quicker and cheaper than a court case
  • Reply 86 of 184
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    leighr wrote: »
    In case you didn't see the post above, there is a simple way. Use a computer that is connected to the internet to go to https://supportprofile.apple.com/ and log in with your Apple ID, then deactivate your old phone. Quite simple really, and quicker and cheaper than a court case

I hadn't seen that. Thanks.

I also didn't know that existed or had forgotten about it which still leads me to the same conclusion that there should be a more obvious solution. But I agree the lawsuit is unnecessary, but I also feel that way about most of these lawsuits.

PS: I had a crap load of devices on there. My original iPhone, iPad and Apple TV were all on there as well over a dozen more devices.
  • Reply 87 of 184
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,295member

That doesn't always work 100% of the time. People have done that and still don't receive texts.
  • Reply 88 of 184
    adamcadamc Posts: 583member
    nasserae wrote: »
    Nevermine.. I see that you were talking about iCloud.com (Find my iPhone).

I am not sure this will work.

Go to iMessage in settings and then remove all your email addresses and deactivate your phone number.
  • Reply 89 of 184
    adamcadamc Posts: 583member
    jasonx wrote: »
    I'm glad to see that there are many intelligent posters who recognize that this is a real problem.  This is a big issue for the people affected, and it is entirely Apple's fault.  The many posters who automatically screamed "frivolous lawsuit!" or "PBKAC!" really sicken me.  

And I also agree that those same people would be screaming bloody murder if Samsung were doing this to iPhone switchers.

You should retread his post before trying to show you are clever.
  • Reply 90 of 184
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    In related news, Adrienne Moore is sued for being so stupid as to trade in an iPhone for a POS Samsung android phone.
  • Reply 91 of 184
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,056member

just don't log on iMessage using Apple ID, but your phone # only.

• Reply 92 of 184
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    The simple way to do this, if you no longer have the device, is to go to https://supportprofile.apple.com/ and log in with your Apple ID, then deactivate your old phone. Quite simple really, and quicker and cheaper than a court case.

Indeed, that is the way to do it:

Go to: https://supportprofile.apple.com/MySupportProfile.do
    Click on "edit products"
    Click on the "x" to the right of the product.
    Click "unregister"
  • Reply 93 of 184
    What? People trade in iPhones for Android phones? Why would you do that? Like "Hey, can I trade in my Mercedes for a Honda?"
  • Reply 94 of 184
    mistercowmistercow Posts: 157member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam_Apple View Post

What? People trade in iPhones for Android phones? Why would you do that? Like "Hey, can I trade in my Mercedes for a Honda?"

Better analogy is trading in a smart car for a regular car.

• Reply 95 of 184

I don't think that's a better analogy at all, Smart cars suck.

• Reply 96 of 184
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,825member

The real reason that messages disappeared, this should be obvious, is that they were too embarrassed to be seen on a Scamsung device. Should be suing Giggle. :wow: 

• Reply 97 of 184
    1. No one is automatically opted in to IMessage. If you have an IPhone, you can choose to leave IMessage off, and it will simply treat all text messages as normal SMS, so, it will not recognize other iOS Devices as sending an IMessage.

2. If you restore your phone and do not restore a backup, then you will no longer be signed in to IMessage.

3. You can go to www.icloud.com, remove your device, and deactivate that way.

Also, as previously stated, you also will want to go to supportprofile.apple.com and remove the device there.

Also, remember to turn off IMessage on any other devices that are using that same Apple ID.

4. If you change the password for your Apple ID, then the next time the server goes to validate your Apple ID for use with IMessage, it will prompt for the new password to be entered in order to continue to use IMessage. If you do not put in the new password, the server will delete your number as being an IMessage activated number.

5. If none of the above works, you can contact AppleCare to have them remove your phone number from IMessage.

6. Have both yourself AND the person sending you the message erase the existing message thread and begin a new one.
  • Reply 98 of 184
    benjamin frostbenjamin frost Posts: 7,203member
    The irreparable harm was caused by switching from iOS to Android, just as you would expect.
  • Reply 99 of 184
    That will always be a feature of the walled garden Apple policy.
    If you want to interact with the outside world then you should learn before quitting.

I guess with Apple interfering with SMS, it could be argued that Apple are intentionally undermining a feature of the more open world.
    They could have made iMessage more world wide web compatible, but it is really there to compete against 'open'.
  • Reply 100 of 184
    After 3 years do you really think Apple were even half interested in doing in a fix?