Apple has a few more secret banners still under wraps at WWDC 2014

Comments

• Reply 41 of 69
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

The new ii. Like a real pair of glasses.

Except that its called the iWatch (and folks thought it was going to be a real watch)

• Reply 42 of 69
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Maybe an Xcode 6 banner?

I doubt it. Xcode isn't exactly a new item in need of hiding. 

My guesses would be Healthbook, the home platform, perhaps something to do with the Apple TV. The latter I could see being hidden if they are mixing up the hardware in a major way. Like if that mockup of a space grey unit that looks similar the 5S was legit. I didn't like the white one cause that would reflect light in a darkened room, but the space grey with perhaps black glass edges for antennae reception could work. make it more or less the same size as the current but with a lot more space for preloading rentals, TV season passes etc. could be great 

• Reply 43 of 69
    @tallest skii....I read that it's not unusual for them to cover banners!
  • Reply 44 of 69
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member

I'd love to see some of the nicer iOS 7 design cues migrate their way into OS X. I'm talking hyperlink-style buttons, outlined icons with the same visual weighting as text and generally elegant typography. The iCloud interface for Pages, Numbers and Keynote feel like the perfect blend of iOS 7 and OS X.

• Reply 45 of 69
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by HeyBartender View Post

@tallest skii....I read that it's not unusual for them to cover banners!

Oh, I know. ;)

• Reply 46 of 69
    DED secretly hopes the covered banner will congratulate him on his articles and crown him King and Queen of this year's WWDC.
  • Reply 47 of 69
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,080member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I'm not understanding what you're getting at. If I go to http://fortune.com/tech/ and click on any story it comes up blank. It sounds like they have a bug.

I had to disable Ghostery to get any content to appear in the /Apple folder.  There's a lengthy recap of Apple TV, posted today.

• Reply 48 of 69
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

The "exclusive" badge above this story is hilarious, for some reason. Don't think I've ever seen such a non-story exclusive. 

• Reply 49 of 69
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,200member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

The "exclusive" badge above this story is hilarious, for some reason. Don't think I've ever seen such a non-story exclusive. 

Only here! How else are you gonna get exclusivity?:p

• Reply 50 of 69
    vaporlandvaporland Posts: 358member
    I predict they will open the Apple TV dev kit to developers.
  • Reply 51 of 69
    I'm expecting a huge leap forward with iOS 8 tomorrow, with OSX catching up in terms of UI (depth, aesthetics, simplifying, and kinetics). I'm really excited to see what Apple has been working on with Maps (and iBeacons), but more than that I'm looking forward to a mobile payments announcement, and a massive expansion of iCloud with the ability to store items based on tags (An overhaul of the outdated metaphor of storing 'files' in specific locations is long overdue; makes much more sense to be able to access them by their qualities/purpose, rather than location). And of course, iOS for the home along with healthbook will set the stage for a very exciting iWatch announcement in the near future.
  • Reply 52 of 69
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Happily, the Apple Insider banner is still around, and the victim is drblank. ????

I seemed to have missed something, but I've noticed a lot of ribbing on drblank off late and I don't see any new posts from him.

Did something happen? Is he banned or has he just stopped posting?

• Reply 53 of 69
    imatimat Posts: 209member
    What is currently missing:

- iOS -> insert address for meetings in calendar (with maps overlay such as in calendar for OSX)
    - both OS: insert multiple destinations in maps (or stop over before final destination in maps)
    - iOS for iPad: update miniature of web pages when swiping through applications with the currently open ones and not with the last page you visited before accessing miniature (open apple.com then swipe through applications and you'll see what you had previously and not Apple.com, hope I managed to explain it...)
    - all OS: topographic view (all maps do have it) and not just flat and or satellite. Show me mountains, elevations etc etc. all apps that need that (trekking etc) rely on open maps or google maps
    - open addresses in apple maps and not google maps. If I have an address on a webpage I searched for in Google, then it will open in on google maps in my browser. Why not let me touch and hold and ask "open in apple maps?"
    - allow me to speak song titles with Siri in English if the song or the artists name is in English even if my language is set to Italian. I don't want to try to figure out the wrong pronunciation of the title in Italian just because Siri doesn't understand it otherwise
    - when navigating in a place of a different language, speak the street names correctly in that language and not some weird translation in, for instance, Italian, of Sherman street name or an English one.
    - iOS: access my PDFs from iCloud. Or, in general, give me a darn chance to have PDFs on my iPad without cumbersome steps. And, while at it, sync my PDF folders of iBooks across devices via iCloud (and access PDFs on iCloud.com)
    - all OS: delete alerts when I opened them on one device.
    - if all devices are close to each other then prompt audio alerts only on the last opened device (iPad, iPhone, Mac). Don't want to hear the "calendar concert" of three devices going "bing bing" all at the same time whenever I receive a message or it is time for my next meeting
    -better photo management on iOS. Just one example: if I have the same pic on my streaming, camera roll and an album, then don't show it three times in my "all pictures". Stack them.
    - aperture for iOS (cough cough). My iPad Air is almost as powerful as my MacBook Pro when I first installed aperture 3 (which in the meantime has become sooo old). Give us aperture 4 and aperture for iPad (you can use discount coupons on the App Store to cross sell them, you know). And an aperture viewer for iPhone. So you might even sell some more iPads as the iPhone will not be able to perform the same level of editing as the IPad.
    - appletv with apps. We are "the rest of the world" and don't see any of the fancy new channels you added in the last couple of years, nor do we see iTunes Radio (unless we have a us account, but then no syncing of music unless we constantly switch accounts). Give us apps and half of it will be solved.
    Give us games and we might even skip the next gen consoles for most of the games (rocksmith for me personally)
    - all OS: location settings. When I arrive at the office don't only remind me of stuff, but change volume, background image etc etc
    - iOS: multiple accounts. I understand you'd like to sell an iPad to each one of us, but we have to put money aside for the "best lineup of the last 25 years" (as well as other minor stuff like doctors, vacations, a new car, shoes, even food sometimes...)

Thanks

I know none will happen. But it's fun to think it might.
  • Reply 54 of 69
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BestKeptSecret View Post

I seemed to have missed something, but I've noticed a lot of ribbing on drblank off late and I don't see any new posts from him.

Did something happen? Is he banned or has he just stopped posting?

He kept ragging on the Beats deal, then he kept insisting that the only reason Katie Cotton could have retired is that she was "disgusted" by the Beats Deal- as well as anyone else who has left Apple in the past several months- and when confronted about how ridiculous this assumption was, he stated that his "buddies at Apple" all corroborate his statements, basically lying his ass off. Lying about having sources inside Apple that magically agree with what he's saying, as well as his other racism-laced accusations is what probably got him banned. 

• Reply 55 of 69
    bestkeptsecretbestkeptsecret Posts: 4,265member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

He kept ragging on the Beats deal, then he kept insisting that the only reason Katie Cotton could have retired is that she was "disgusted" by the Beats Deal- as well as anyone else who has left Apple in the past several months- and when confronted about how ridiculous this assumption was, he stated that his "buddies at Apple" all corroborate his statements, basically lying his ass off. Lying about having sources inside Apple that magically agree with what he's saying, as well as his other racism-laced accusations is what probably got him banned. 

Thanks!

• Reply 56 of 69
    virtuavirtua Posts: 209member
    But Apple has NEVER covered its banners before. ;)

There most incredible cover up ever. They worked from the ground up to make sure it could be the best hidden they could make it. Hahaha....love it.
  • Reply 57 of 69
    benjamin frostbenjamin frost Posts: 7,203member
    Might we see a new operating system?

A version of iOS optimised for accessories and Apple TV?

I'd like to see something like this, plus the Mac being brought into the iOS umbrella, so that you can write a universal app that is optimised for iPhone, iPad and Mac.
  • Reply 58 of 69
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Might we see a new operating system?

A version of iOS optimised for accessories and Apple TV?

I'd like to see something like this, plus the Mac being brought into the iOS umbrella, so that you can write a universal app that is optimised for iPhone, iPad and Mac.
    I think the only thing that's a for sure thing today is some people will hate the OSX redesign and the internet will be full of newly appointed UI design experts telling everyone all the things that are wrong with new design. :)
  • Reply 59 of 69
    macarenamacarena Posts: 365member

There are quite a few industries that are ripe for the Apple touch.

Healthcare, Television, Cars, Home automation, Education, Gaming, are the six biggest things that spring to mind. These would allow Apple to become a more significant part of our everyday lives, in a high revenue sort of way. Of these Apple already has significant presence in Gaming, but still has ample room to grow.

At this point, Apple needs to go for maximum impact - Apple is now too big to be impacted by even a hugely successful product. Apple needs to go after totally new industries, and go after them in a big, all-in kind of way.

I expect that this WWDC will see Apple unveil initiatives in at least 3 if not more of these large scale areas, including dramatically expanded initiatives in existing operations.

I believe Apple is now at a point where it is not going to get any big benefit by just releasing a product like iWatch anymore. Even if iWatch sells in record numbers, it will just be a hobby for Apple.

The real story is not products - the real story is revolutionizing more industries. Apple will go for stickiness - where they make their products even more important, because of how seamlessly well they work with Apple's offerings in these industries. Today, Apple cannot sell too many smartphones to people who never owned a smartphone. That job has to be done by Android - Apple's game will be to create experiences that are so compelling, that people will want to upgrade to Apple.

All of Apple's competitors are busy trying to front-run Apple, trying to launch what they think is Apple's next big product!

• Reply 60 of 69
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    pmz wrote: »
    Well I certainly hope so, as its otherwise shaping up to be the single most underwhelming WWDC of all time if the rumors thus far are all of it.

I'm not worried, I suspect there will be lots of developer tools available to support new hardware. Yes I expect new hardware of some sort. Possibly an AppleTV on steroids to replace the Mini. Maybe a Mac Pro lite to fill the desktop void left by the departure of the Mini. I wouldn't be surprised to see new I devices too.