Apple's Tim Cook uses WWDC stage to lob grenades at Android, sets up China showdown with Google

Comments

• Reply 21 of 104
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bill42 View Post

I respectfully disagree. Jobs always poked fun at Windows in many of his speeches during conferences. This is no different.

Yes, I literally can't figure out what this "group" of posters are talking about. Apple has ALWAYS called out the competition by name, at every event. 

• Reply 22 of 104
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

90% of iOS users are on the latest release compared to 14% Android

It's actually much worse than that. Tim Cook said that 9% of Android users are on the latest release, not 14%.

• Reply 23 of 104
    delreyjonesdelreyjones Posts: 335member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DarkLite View Post

Agreed. Apple shouldn't acknowledge their competitors - put up the figures for your own system, and then let others draw conclusions. Mud-slinging lowers the tone, while silence gives the impression that you're not worried in the slightest.

It's a legitimate question:  Is it better to stay above the fray or engage and criticize your competitor.  I wonder if Tim Cook and his staff in Cupertino are sophisticated enough to address this question?  I wonder if those guys, who are executives of the most valuable company in America today, are smart enough to wisely consider the issue?  I wonder if they're any smarter than us, we with strong opinions who post in the comment section of Apple Insider?   Curious thing.

• Reply 24 of 104
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member

Cr4p foisted upon consumers should be called out for what it is.

I am quite glad that Tim Cook does not hesitate to do so.

• Reply 25 of 104
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I guess we can add "AppleInsider Staff" to the list of known DED aliases image

I doubt that DED wrote this article. I just can't imagine him putting this statement into anything he writes about Apple:

"Their fickleness isn't limited to Android devices, though: just 41 percent of iPhone owners in China plan to stick with Apple when they buy their next handset, according to a recent report from market research firm Kantar."

• Reply 26 of 104
    darklitedarklite Posts: 229member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by delreyjones View Post

It's a legitimate question:  Is it better to stay above the fray or engage and criticize your competitor.  I wonder if Tim Cook and his staff in Cupertino are sophisticated enough to address this question?  I wonder if those guys, who are executives of the most valuable company in America today, are smart enough to wisely consider the issue?  I wonder if they're any smarter than us, we with strong opinions who post in the comment section of Apple Insider?   Curious thing.

Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't realise that people who work for big companies are perfect and get everything right, and that intelligence increases with the number of digits in your bank account.

Excuse me while I use iTunes Ping and Google Wave on Windows Vista.

• Reply 27 of 104
    froodfrood Posts: 771member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple CEO Tim Cook poured lighter fluid on the already-heated rivalry between Apple and Google during his keynote presentation at this week's Worldwide Developers Conference, calling out a recent mass defection of Chinese Android users to iOS and signaling the start of a new Asian offensive.

Though Cook didn't reveal exact figures, he did say that nearly half of the customers in China to whom Apple sold iPhones in the past six months had switched from an Android device.

http://go-digital.net/blog/2012/12/android-completely-owns-the-chinese-smartphone-market/

Considering at the start of the 'offensive' the Chinese market looked like this- over 80% Android, having 'nearly half' of the customers come from Android isn't all that impressive.  It means Apple got most of their business by switchers from Win phone, Symbian, and people without phones.

I think both Android and Apple are going to be fighting an uphill battle in China as China puts more emphasis on homegrown platforms.

• Reply 28 of 104
    redhotfuzzredhotfuzz Posts: 313member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

The average Android user is not tech savvy and they merely ended up with their phone because they got it for real cheap or free. 

This is a simple fact, no matter what the Samsung Galaxy-toting Fandroids will argue.

Quote:

Originally Posted by delreyjones View Post

It's a legitimate question:  Is it better to stay above the fray or engage and criticize your competitor.

Answer: it depends.  Sometimes you have to stop absorbing the blows and punch back.  I'm not sure why Apple hasn't gone after Google's "spy on everything you do to sell advertising" angle.  Google is creepy and it's time the ignorant masses realize it.

• Reply 29 of 104
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Cr4p foisted upon consumers should be called out for what it is.

I am quite glad that Tim Cook does not hesitate to do so.

Up until now he's not done so has he? It had been left up to lesser execs like Schiller to deliver the one-liners in Mr. Jobs absence. Thus my surprise that he chose to do so now.
  • Reply 30 of 104
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

GO GET EM, TIM. 

• Reply 31 of 104
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Love it when Apple uses their image and sterling reputation to go on the offensive. They above all are more then entitled to do so. Earned success, every step of the way. 

• Reply 32 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Up until now he's not done so has he? It had been left up to lesser execs like Schiller to deliver the one-liners in Mr. Jobs absence. Thus my surprise that he chose to do so now.

The issue is not whether you were 'surprised.'

I was surprised too. But quite differently from the negative way in which you were.

People complaining about how this sort of thing is somehow not becoming of a 'Southern Gentleman' or a company like Apple need to grow a pair. Boo hoo hoo. My problem with Apple -- whether with the Cotes/DoJs/Kohs, with regulators, with the media, with investors, or with its competitors -- is that it has been too timid.

No more.

• Reply 33 of 104
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

Schiller didn't present at this conference. Should Cook have brought him specifically onstage just to bash Android? Don't read so much into it. 

• Reply 34 of 104
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkLite View Post

Excuse me while I use iTunes Ping and Google Wave on Windows Vista.

Your blithe comparison of something trivial and secondary for Apple like Ping, with something core like an operating system for Microsoft, tells us little more than that you're a bit clueless.

• Reply 35 of 104
    mwhitecomwhiteco Posts: 112member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I guess we can add "AppleInsider Staff" to the list of known DED aliases image

I have never understood what DED means can someone please explain this to me.

Thanks

• Reply 36 of 104
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Schiller didn't present at this conference.

Craig seems to be the software presenter and Phil hardware, since Jony has stage fright.

And this works out pretty darn well for Apple. Craig is a great presence on stage in his own right and Phil has the experience of marketing to emulate an RDF.

Granted, Phil is emulating an x86 RDF on a PowerPC chip, but…

• Reply 37 of 104
    vaporlandvaporland Posts: 358member
    And Apple isn't the underdog? Please. Windows and Android have won desktop and mobile, period. Mac OS X and iOS are second place platforms.

Apple makes 90% of all profits in mobile.

Apple owns the market for PCs priced over $1,000

I don't think "underdog" means what you think it does.
  • Reply 38 of 104
    ajmonlineajmonline Posts: 56member
    As an IOS developer, I do have to admit my reaction to most of the user changes was "about time". I do like the Developer changes and look forward to testing xCode 6.

Because of the sheer number of Android devices, I have been looking into Android Development and found it to be a major headache. The lack of Core Data was known and expected, but the lack of drawing APIs was surprising (especially since vector drawing is the best way to handle multiple screen sizes and resolutions). The Android libraries do not support all the same sound formats that the pure java implementation of the same calls does. Since I can walk into a major store today and buy a new Android with 4.2 (Nov 2012) or older on most devices I do not see the fragmentation issue going away any time soon.

However seeing a $139 7" android tablet sitting next to a $399 iPad mini, I understand why so many Android devices are sold. (BTW, that was not a close out Android tablet)
  • Reply 39 of 104
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Quote:

Mr Cook giving attention to competitors at his own developer's conference?? Why would Android enter into it at all? Seems un-Tim-like and unprofessional to me. I'd expect that type of message might come from an underling like Schiller (or someone like Ballmer) who's lobbed a few at competitors in the past, but surprising to see Cook feel Android needed to be addressed when introducing new Apple software.

Actually it make sense. The people in the room could or are developing for Android as well. Those same people are also the reason Apple is very successful, without them Apple products would be worthless. It is in Cook's and Apple's best interest to educate everyone in the room on the whether it make financial sense to make products for Android. He is making everyone in the room think about how to spend their time and resources and if you see that all your work developing something for Windows 8 or Kitkat is only penetrating a small part of the overall mark why continue to invest. He is showing them that Android is not worth the time and energy.

• Reply 40 of 104
    constable odoconstable odo Posts: 1,041member

I didn't care very much for Tim Cook giving Android cheap shots.  The less anyone says about Android, the better.  It's like giving them free publicity.  It's OK if they want to talk straight numbers and stuff but that's it.  I always consider it unprofessional to start poking at rivals.  Stress your company product's strong points and forget about rivals weaknesses.  Personally, I think it's a waste of time talking about Android or even their numbers.  Let Android take care of itself.  Trash-talking about rivals just comes off as being petty and doesn't really prove a thing for Apple.  Apple's iOS will keep chugging no matter what Android does.  I was really disappointed to hear Tim Cook putting down Android.  It definitely has its place in mobile whether I like it or not.  Obviously, its huge market share speaks for itself for whatever reasons.