Amazon announces Fire Phone with 4.7" 3D head tracking display & Firefly smart scanner, exclusive to

Comments

• Reply 41 of 225
    disturbiadisturbia Posts: 563member

Oh look ... another me-too iPhone! LMAO :smokey:

• Reply 42 of 225
    tt92618tt92618 Posts: 444member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

In what capacity?

What is, posting on a website you hate about a company you hate? Yeah, you certainly are. SHUT UP AND GO AWAY. How stupid can you possibly be?

Wow - I hate Apple, eh?  You deduced that from what?

Actually, what I despise are the antics of ridiculous Apple fanboys.  I happen to like Apple quite a bit, and own a ton of their products.

• Reply 43 of 225
    axcoatlaxcoatl Posts: 21member
    Interesting device, some nice features.

Definitely a good device for NSA and the other "four eyes". It will be interesting to confirm whether this feature could be switched of - and stays off without any backdoor.

But nevertheless, interesting devices and features.
  • Reply 44 of 225

Unless I missed it, neither the article nor any of the comments include the word "app" which is amazing.

Does this thing run apps from external developers?  If so, how many are available now?  What kind of app store is there?

• Reply 45 of 225
    pdq2pdq2 Posts: 270member

PPS-

For what short-term stock market movements are worth (probably not much), AAPL went from 1% down to green as soon as Amazon's announcement was out.

Which is to say, Wall Street doesn't see much risk to Apple here. At least not this afternoon.

• Reply 46 of 225
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

...along with a dedicated camera button that allows photos to be snapped instantly when pressed, regardless of whether or not the screen is on. ...

That is an interesting feature.

• Reply 47 of 225
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluestone View Post

Unless I missed it, neither the article nor any of the comments include the word "app" which is amazing.

Does this thing run apps from external developers?  If so, how many are available now?  What kind of app store is there?

Amazon has a private fork of Android.  They have their own dev. program and their own App Store.  It has about 240K apps at last count.

• Reply 48 of 225
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by tt92618 View Post

Wow - I hate Apple, eh?  You deduced that from what?

You going straight down the line of logical fallacies regarding “opinions” on the topic.

• Reply 49 of 225
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

How do they get developers to develop for their platform when they never announce sales or activation figures? In the presentation Bezos displayed a chart showing steady growth in Prime membership but the slide included no numbers whatsoever.

It is extremely easy to develop apps for Kindle devices.  Basically any developer that has written an Android app can port it to Kindle with very little effort.  And given the numbers and variety of Apps in their store, developers have responded to that.

FYI I have a Fire and a Fire TV, plus Android tabs, iPad, iPhones, and even a lonely and lowly Windows 8.1 phone.  And of all of these devices, I will simply say that Amazon is second only to Apple, in my opinion.  I don't think what Amazon is doing is inconsequential for Apple in the long term, but mostly it is strategically essential for Amazon, as it creates an incredibly sticky ecosystem.

• Reply 50 of 225
    axcoatlaxcoatl Posts: 21member
    Interesting device, some really nice features.

Definitely a good device for NSA and the other "four eyes". It will be interesting to confirm whether this feature could be switched of - and stays off without any backdoor. Amazons private Android fork may make it difficult to verify.

But nevertheless, interesting devices and features.
  • Reply 51 of 225
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You going straight down the line of logical fallacies regarding “opinions” on the topic.

Well, you were wrong.

• Reply 52 of 225
    nelsonxnelsonx Posts: 278member
    But... it's 4.7"!!! Just like the iPhone 6! Thieeeeeves!!!!!
  • Reply 53 of 225
    tt92618 wrote: »
    Here it comes: 100's of comments about how this is crap and can't possibly be cool because Apple has already invented everything of merit in the known universe.

Two down, and many more to come.

That's quite illogical. No one claims Apple invented everything of merit. NO ONE (except you). And if this was crap--and I'm not claiming it is, only saying IF--it wouldn't be because Apple invented everything of merit. The most common reason something is crap is simply because it is crap.

One down, more to come.
  • Reply 54 of 225
    nelsonx wrote: »
    But... it's 4.7"!!! Just like the iPhone 6! Thieeeeeves!!!!!

Doesn't exist yet. Only a rumor. Rumors don't count as "first."
  • Reply 55 of 225
    gusy32gusy32 Posts: 18member
    These are the types of devices that you don't need an event to unvail. But I guess we all want our five minutes of fame
  • Reply 56 of 225
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Well, you were wrong.

Ah, no. Sorry. You were.

• Reply 57 of 225
    steven n.steven n. Posts: 1,229member
    Quote:

Honestly you lot are cracking me up already. Your myopia is matched only by your hubris.

Will this eat Apple's lunch in the market? No, obviously not. But there is some impressive tech here.

FireFly, in particular, is a really impressive engineering accomplishment. And coupled with Prime Video, Music, FireTV... you can see that Amazon is executing on a plan to build an Ecosystem that is very sticky. I happen to own AppleTV, GoogleTV, and FireTV by the way, and of the three FireTV is by far the best. I also own Android Tablets, Fire, and iPad... and while I freely admit that iPad is absolutely still the best, the Amazon devices are quite good and really put just about any android tablet to shame.

But that does not mean this will sell.  You know, the part that actually counts. FireFly is really cool but not something that I would even think about switching over. It is like Siri. OK but not really essential.

The contract pricing and exclusive nature to AT&T really limits its market appeal to 100's of million of people. The three prime members I know have already said they are not interested in the phone.

• Reply 58 of 225

I was wrong about whether or not I hate Apple.  

Check.

Now I remember why you are on my ignore list.

• Reply 59 of 225
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,293member

Wow, talk about a narcoleptic-inducing, gimmick-filed craptastic device!

• Reply 60 of 225
    He's gotta be from the UK, guys.