Samsung's latest Apple-targeting ad slams battery life, calls iPhone users 'wall huggers'

Comments

• Reply 81 of 328
    freediverxfreediverx Posts: 1,423member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JosephFriedrich View Post

I really hate it when companies target ads against each other. Really! If your product is so good, why do you even bother attacking your competitions product?

Yes, but what can you do when your product is not so good and your business model is based on copying and lying instead of design and engineering.

• Reply 82 of 328
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by stylorouge View Post

Looool. I love my Samsung Note 3. Battery life is beyond awesome. My friends iPhones they constantly looking for a wall is true. Of course there must be the exception to the rule but the S5 has a mode where you can go with 10% battery for a full day.

You're this guy-->

Awesome in his own fantasies.

• Reply 83 of 328
    atlappleatlapple Posts: 496member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

They've simply taken a page from the "I'm a Mac, I'm a PC" ads.

I truly wish Apple's advertising would strap on a pair, instead of the atmospheric, feel-good, aimlessly repetitive efforts of late.

While some might think this is stupid Apple need to put Dr. Dre in an ad. They paid billions for him might as well take advantage of his name recognition in certain markets. Better then having some random person standing on top of a waterfall using their iPad or iPhone not many can relate to that. 

You always see football and basketball stars in Beats commercials, you see them wearing the gear during warmups, many Olympic athletes were wearing them during warmups. Beats and Apple should be linked as much as possible, Samsung, Google, and Microsoft do not have that star power at all. 

• Reply 84 of 328

Actually the size of the device to battery life is similar whatever the size (to an extent). A bigger phone means a bigger battery, but it also means a bigger display sucking up batter life. With the debut of iOS 8, the battery life of iDevices is expected to dramatically increase because of how the new OS handles tasks like multitasking, fast app switching and how the phone radio works.

• Reply 85 of 328

I am not a Guy sorry. Lol. 

• Reply 86 of 328
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,293member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

There shouldn't be any need for these then Samsung:

I wonder where the Apple charging stations are. This seems like another bout of insecurity from Samsung. Their S5 has flopped, they have no inspiration for future designs. Expect more cheap shots as they head downhill.

They did this with previous ads suggesting the iPhone was for older people and stats don't back that up either. When does it become libellous?

LOL!!! I LOVE IT!!! F'ing brilliant Samsung! I guess that's why your users aren't "wall huggers", they're actually "pole huggers" LOL!

• Reply 87 of 328
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AtlApple View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

They've simply taken a page from the "I'm a Mac, I'm a PC" ads.

I truly wish Apple's advertising would strap on a pair, instead of the atmospheric, feel-good, aimlessly repetitive efforts of late.

While some might think this is stupid Apple need to put Dr. Dre in an ad. They paid billions for him might as well take advantage of his name recognition in certain markets. Better then having some random person standing on top of a waterfall using their iPad or iPhone not many can relate to that. 

You always see football and basketball stars in Beats commercials, you see them wearing the gear during warmups, many Olympic athletes were wearing them during warmups. Beats and Apple should be linked as much as possible, Samsung, Google, and Microsoft do not have that star power at all. 

Disagree on both the original post and your remarks as well. I don't think it is taking a page out of I'm a Mac, I'm a PC ads because in that case there was a legitimate and undisputed argument that PCs were awful and switching was the call to action. In the case of the iPhone it is also undeniable that they have the absolute best reputation of any brand and the Samsung ad is not about getting iPhone users to switch but more about keeping Android and Samsung users from switching to iPhone.

With regards, to Dre, perhaps if Apple continues to market the Beats brand after the acquisition then it would be entirely appropriate for Dre to make an ad. As far as putting him and his professional athletes in an iPhone or iPad ad, not so much. Apple's iOS target market is more aligned with business, arts and education, not hip hop.

• Reply 88 of 328
    ewtheckmanewtheckman Posts: 309member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MagMan1979 View Post

LOL!!! I LOVE IT!!! F'ing brilliant Samsung! I guess that's why your users aren't "wall huggers", they're actually "pole huggers" LOL!

Hasn't Samsung used dancers in past ads. ;-)

• Reply 89 of 328
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,422member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

It's in Settings » General » Usage » Battery Usage. Over half my power usage is with iMessage, less than a 20% with Safari, and the rest for everything else.

In iOS7?!?! I don't see anything like that. It shows "Battery percentage" but it's only a switch. 

• Reply 90 of 328
    freediverxfreediverx Posts: 1,423member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

It's in Settings » General » Usage » Battery Usage. Over half my power usage is with iMessage, less than a 20% with Safari, and the rest for everything else.

Are you running iOS8 on your primary phone? How stable is it?

• Reply 91 of 328
    mistercowmistercow Posts: 157member
    mstone wrote: »
    Disagree on both the original post and your remarks as well. I don't think it is taking a page out of I'm a Mac, I'm a PC ads because in that case there was a legitimate and undisputed argument that PCs were awful and switching was the call to action. In the case of the iPhone it is also undeniable that they have the absolute best reputation of any brand and the Samsung ad is not about getting iPhone users to switch but more about keeping Android and Samsung users from switching to iPhone.

With regards, to Dre, perhaps if Apple continues to market the Beats brand after the acquisition then it would be entirely appropriate for Dre to make an ad. As far as putting him and his professional athletes in an iPhone or iPad ad, not so much. Apple's iOS target market is more aligned with business, arts and education, not hip hop.

If it was legitimate and undeniable that PCs were awful,no one would buy them. So no, there's no difference in the ads.
  • Reply 92 of 328
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member

Samsung phone batteries do last longer....mainly because they are hidden in someone's pocket not being used.

Yes, a big phone can have a big battery but I'd rather have a good phone, use the hell out of it all day and maybe have to top it up halfway through.

• Reply 93 of 328
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mistercow View Post

If it was legitimate and undeniable that PCs were awful,no one would buy them. So no, there's no difference in the ads.

No not really. PCs were cheap. That is why they were purchased by the millions, but they got viruses, they were difficult to use and required constant IT support. They were, and still are awful. Everybody knows that.

• Reply 94 of 328
    Quote:

I can almost guarantee that the iPhone 6's larger battery will out perform the same sized Galaxy.

Quote:

The Galaxy S5 is a bigger phone, it's much heavier and also has a larger battery.

(4 ounces for iPhone 5s VS 5.1 ounces for Galaxy S5)

Quote:

Apple always destroys everybody else when it comes to battery life, when comparing comparable devices. Just wait until the Apple iPhone 5.5" comes out. Boy, is that thing going to destroy, humiliate and massacre everything else out there.

The Galaxy S5 and the Note 3 both have higher resolution and bigger screens than any current or future iPhone namely iPhone 6 4.7" and 5.5"

The champion on battery stamina and runtime is the NOKIA LUMIA 1520 with its 6 inch FULL HD 1920x1080 screen as tested by GSMArena:

http://www.gsmarena.com/battery-test.php3?idPhone=5760

Good luck to the iPhone 6 5.5 inch beating any of those 3 monster.

• Reply 95 of 328
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member

Get on the video, vote it down and in the comments, tell people that you have a Samsung Galaxy and the battery is far worse than the iPhone you had to replace it with.

If Samsung want to play underhanded games, maybe we should start fighting back.

• Reply 96 of 328
    michael scripmichael scrip Posts: 1,916member
    mistercow wrote: »
    So no, there's no difference in the ads.

Apple was SEVERELY behind the PC in market share when those "Get a Mac" ads came out. Apple was the underdog.

On the other hand... Samsung is the largest smartphone manufacturer in the world. Why do they have to say anything about any other company?

It must really bother Samsung that people are willing to "suffer" with poor battery life to get all the other things iOS can offer.

Samsung could offer a phone with a week of battery life... but iOS has plenty to offer too.
  • Reply 97 of 328
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,293member

This ad makes me giggle because of the reality Samsung would have us placed into vs what we currently have, allow me to elaborate...

Samsung World

Users must own a secondary battery, which they also must remember to charge, and whose lifespan is far below the charge cycle count of a typical iPhone 5S battery. When the battery hits rock bottom because Android is such a power-hungry turd, having to drive all those wasted pixels on 2HD or UHD screens, you then have to interrupt everything you're doing on the device, shut it down, fiddle with taking it apart in a public place in order to insert the second battery, then wait for the turd to restart (hoping it doesn't erase all your data on restart), only then to discover after the arduous reboot cycle, that you forgot to charge your secondary battery and have 5 minutes of juice remaining, then you go join your fellow pole hugging brethren at a Samsung charging station.

Apple World

We already get great battery life thanks in part to the battery technology and well-optimized iOS, but for the times we really play hardcore on our devices, we go out and buy a mophie battery pack. When the time comes that our devices need some pick-me-up, we simply plug in a cable (or throw on an external case), and continue about our merry way, without having to take apart our device or restart it and skip a beat, or two, or three if your blood pressure beings to boil over after cracking the band-aid case of your S5 while opening it. Then we just walk right past the pole huggers at the Samsung station waving with a cheeky grin and exclaim "I'm going to the bar for a Gin".

• Reply 98 of 328
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    netrox wrote: »
    In iOS7?!?! I don't see anything like that. It shows "Battery percentage" but it's only a switch. 

My apologies. I am referring to iOS 8. I should have prefaced my comment with the sentence "It is." to be more clear that I was backing up your comment.

freediverx wrote: »
    Are you running iOS8 on your primary phone? How stable is it?

It's been very buggy for me. In fact, I noticed that I had run out of nearly all my storage but the amount of used space in Settings didn't add up so last night I plugged it into iTunes and say that 70% of my device was used by Other which is typically used by the OS. I backed it up and then restored. I now have 60% of that space back. I assume we'll get the 3rd beta next Tuesday.
  • Reply 99 of 328
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Can they make that narrators any less condescending and obnoxious? Wow. If I had to choose, that's the worst aspect of all their ads. And removal batteries? Really? I don't know a SINGLE person that carries around an extra phone battery, but Samsung is still beating this dead horse as if its 2007. Noone really gives a shit apart from a tiny, statistically insignificant portion of the population. There's also a TON of power solution for iPhones (cases, external power packs, etc) that make this "feature" utterly irrelevant. This ad reeks of extreme desperation, and clutching at the last straws they have. 

• Reply 100 of 328
    thewhitefalconthewhitefalcon Posts: 4,453member
    gbenitez wrote: »
    Apple's CEO can make low brow classless remarks about competition every time he gets on stage. The sheep %uD83D%uDC11 laugh and say how witty.. Samsung makes an actually funny ad and its desperate and insulting. Oh kids I don't own either company's product (I find Samsung products to plasticy for my taste) but after watching this year's WWDC I'll tell you from the outside looking in. Tim Cook made Apple look like the desperate I immature fools. Sorry.

Tim Cook quoted others in his comments.

Or have you forgotten how Apple used to slam Intel and MS? Quoting others is nowhere near the same.