Al-Qaeda prefers Android over Apple's iOS

Comments

• Reply 101 of 228
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Meanwhile in Delaware, Joe Biden went to the movies

[IMG]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/46609/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

Pic taken by my cousin.
  • Reply 102 of 228
    yoyo2222yoyo2222 Posts: 144member
    "You've gotta be fucking kidding me with this article."

I don't know. I read the headline and said this has to be Daniel. It gave me a great early morning laugh.

DED, don't stop!
  • Reply 103 of 228
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Pic taken by my cousin.

Who was immediately tackled by the Secret Service.

I don’t get it; the White House has a theater. Ol’ Joe could have just called up Obizzle and been all, “Hey, my nizzle, mind if I drop on in and shizzle Guardizillians of the Gizallaxy?” “Don’t call me again, Joe.”

• Reply 103 of 228
    Quote:

Originally Posted by woodycurmudgeon View Post

You've gotta be fucking kidding me with this article.

I can't even make it past the headline, DED opinion articles have reached a new all time low.

How is he kidding? The information in this article was already reported days ago on other, more reputable websites. Search the web and you'll find it elsewhere, but without DED's name (and spin) attached to it. So if DED's opinion bothers you that much, there are plenty of other news sites; AppleInsider doesn't have an exclusive on anything.

• Reply 105 of 228
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Meanwhile in Delaware, Joe Biden went to the movies

Pic taken by my cousin.

Hopefully he gets lost and stays there for the next two years (not your cousin).
  • Reply 106 of 228

Who was immediately tackled by the Secret Service.

I don’t get it; the White House has a theater. Ol’ Joe could have just called up Obizzle and been all, “Hey, my nizzle, mind if I drop on in and shizzle Guardizillians of the Gizallaxy?” “Don’t call me again, Joe.”

She didn't want to interrupt his chat with God. :lol:
  • Reply 107 of 228
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,161member

Swimsuit models prefer iOS.

That's all I care about!

:D

• Reply 108 of 228
    mpantone wrote: »
    Swimsuit models prefer iOS.

That's all I care about!

:D

And if you hang around long enough at the Soho store you might see some. ;)
  • Reply 109 of 228
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AWilliams87 View Post

Lmao. Wonderful reply. You and Daniel make this site for what it is, at least for me.

Agreed. I gave up posting after Apple ][ came along, he takes the words out of my mouth, and make me much more productive in other areas!

• Reply 110 of 228

Meh.

It's obvious terrorist organizations would use Android. That's because they can modify it to do what they wish.

Organizations that need customized security (the US military, for example) have also used modified versions of Android in the past.

While it's a fact that Android isn't as secure as iOS, I highly doubt that people using Android should fear terrorists getting information from their devices just because criminals/terrorists are also using it. Their reason for using it is the ability to use their own security - not because they want to steal data from us "regular people".

• Reply 111 of 228
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Meh.

It's obvious terrorist organizations would use Android. That's because they can modify it to do what they wish.

Organizations that need customized security (the US military, for example) have also used modified versions of Android in the past.

While it's a fact that Android isn't as secure as iOS, I highly doubt that people using Android should fear terrorists getting information from their devices just because criminals/terrorists are also using it. Their reason for using it is the ability to use their own security - not because they want to steal data from us "regular people".

OBL had no cell phones, he used a courier to send and receive messages. By now everyone is aware of the porosity of Android security. An Android phone can (relatively) easily be remotely infiltrated by the NSA, which actually makes it a poor choice for an "evil-doer". I reject the entire premise of this opinion piece.
  • Reply 112 of 228
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,290member

Fun article for a Sunday. Brought out a lot of new posters and of course the old guys had to chip in as well. I know Daniel loves Apple products and have met him. What he's doing is the same thing Samsung and Microsoft do in their anti-Apple ads, which they get away with all the time. I haven't read that many comments about how these two companies make up things about Apple that everyone seems to take as gospel yet Daniel simply reports on something other sites have reports and all of a sudden he's the worse person on earth. I had a huge smile on my face when I read the article and it actually makes a lot of sense. You could easily extend his comments to any other nefarious organization and it wouldn't surprise me if they're also using throw-away Android phones for the simple fact they don't have to jailbreak them to sideload applications. In fact, I don't remember ever seeing an iPhone used in a spy movie, they're always using something else. (If you can prove me wrong, fine, show me the clip and I'll retract me statement.) Associating Android phones with the "bag guys" makes sense to me as an iPhone user. Google steals code, Samsung steals designs and won't pay licenses, what else do you need to associate Android phones with this type of culture?

On the flip side, and again show me proof I'm wrong, Apple provides the best mobile security out of the box, continues to fight against jailbreakers, does its best to not bend over to government demands for backdoors or release of confidential source code, and provides the safest app store. These are all known facts and something iOS users should be proud of Apple for providing and supporting. Provide documentation on how an Android phone supplier even comes close to what Apple provides.

• Reply 113 of 228
    Oh boy, here we go...

It's like deja vu all over again. :lol:
  • Reply 114 of 228
    OBL had no cell phones, he used a courier to send and receive messages. By now everyone is aware of the porosity of Android security. An Android phone can (relatively) easily be remotely infiltrated by the NSA, which actually makes it a poor choice for an "evil-doer". I reject the entire premise of this opinion piece.
    You can download AOSP and remove large portions of the code leaving only the bare minimum you need. Then add in any additional features you require (like secure encrypted communication) and modify what's remaining to perform only the functions you require.

A criminal/terrorist group could write their own bare-bones OS just for communicating with their own ranks. The NSA would have no way of knowing if such on OS even existed unless they got their hands on an actual device.

Taking AOSP and using it as a base would greatly reduce the effort to create such an OS.
  • Reply 115 of 228
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 4,016member
    Come on, people. This hating on DED meme is getting both humorous and tiresome. Even if he does sometimes write things fanboys love, is that the worst thing on an Applecentric forum? I've see less vitriolic (and numerous) responses aimed at Android trolls who post here. With all the biased stuff in the press about Apple, can't we allow ourselves a little talkback?

Note also that he is reporting on the research posted by others. If you have an issue with its veracity, why not take it up with them. Is it better that we ignore such reports and be ignorant of them?

When/if he simply posts rumors or makes stuff up, I'll join you in calling him on it. Until then, let me enjoy some self-serving good news in my "Sunday paper."
  • Reply 116 of 228
    darklitedarklite Posts: 229member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

In defense of DED

I am curious why the response from most is so negative to this editorial. If the information is false then give sources showing it to be so. If it is true it is surely as news worthy as all the silly rumors about rumors of rumors.

The obvious response, for me at least, and I read the entire thread expecting someone to have said this, is the US spy services should develop a Stuxnet type approach and apologize for the collateral damage to Google later. The fact they use such a poorly made OS as Android as their main communications system is surely good news for any American?

Had the information been they were using mainly iOS then that would be bad news. As I say, I am scratching my head at the responses, AI has long covered all things Google and Scamsung why is this different?

My only slightly negative feeling is this should be kept quiet and the Stuntex type attack put out there ASAP. I don't want them who shall not be named switching!

Because the article is idiocy. Why do Al-Qaeda use Android? Because Apple aren't exactly going to approve their apps. 

Leaping from 'Al-Qaeda write apps for the only platform they can write apps for' to 'by writing apps Al-Qaeda discover security vulnerabilities on their chosen platform and get free access to a huge botnet of cheap smartphones' is the sort of thing you'd expect from someone in a padded cell wearing a tinfoil hat.

• Reply 117 of 228
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Too much thinking required for those hairs to cope with, eh?

Indeed.  Spent a lot of time trying to decide if DED is for real, or a satirist portraying a caricature of an overzealous Apple fanboy; this article has nearly convinced me that the latter is more likely than the former.  I realise that I have only myself to blame for my hair loss, but it's all great fun.

• Reply 118 of 228
    gregqgregq Posts: 62member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by woodycurmudgeon View Post

You've gotta be fucking kidding me with this article.

I can't even make it past the headline, DED opinion articles have reached a new all time low.

Yeah, this is absurd. 

• Reply 119 of 228
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

So many comments in such a short amount of time.  As asinine as the article is, I've got to hand it to DED.  He knows what his readers want and he delivers it.

I was just going to post almost exactly the same thing. Looks like DED nailed it.

Yahoo News message boards; here we come!

• Reply 120 of 228
    zinthar wrote: »
    wtf AI? This should really not be an article. It's shameless guilt by association (ie if you use Android, you're more likely to be a terrorist).

It might actually be interesting if they were using iPhones because of the hypocrisy of making use of technology that's among the most recognizable symbols of American influence in the world, something which they despise.

I have no problem with other articles that primarily focus on Samsung or Android, but this is going too far.

PS -- AI, your iPhone app hasn't been updated for iOS 7 yet...
    Are you serious? Look at there latest update, January, full IOS 7 compatibility!!!