Apple reveals most employees are white men, says diversity needs to be improved

Comments

• Reply 401 of 757
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I'm curious why you and @mstone feel that everyone in the world, regardless of religion (or lack thereof), is wrong to use Before Christ and "In the year of our Lord." It seems very self serving to me and I dont think you'd be happy if the world used the Hebrew or Islamic calander.

My confusion with CE and BCE is the use of the exact same years. They seem to exist solely to remove any direct reference–no matter how small (and, in this case, not even spoken)–to Christianity. That’s kind of self-serving itself (and without point, since we already have a universally known–if not used–system). Why not use the Roman numbering system for years, then? Or the Chinese?

• Reply 402 of 757
    Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Each to his own; you're wrong, though.

I'm curious why you and @mstone feel that everyone in the world, regardless of religion (or lack thereof), is wrong to use Before Christ and "In the year of our Lord." It seems very self serving to me and I dont think you'd be happy if the world used the Hebrew or Islamic calander.

I don't feel that everyone in the world is wrong to use BC and AD; I think they are right, as I stated in my previous post. 

I do agree with you, though, that it is, indeed, very self-serving of people who don't use the Christian terminology..

• Reply 403 of 757
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    I don't feel that everyone in the world is wrong to use BC and AD; I think they are right, as I stated in my previous post. 

I do agree with you, though, that it is, indeed, very self-serving of people who don't use the Christian terminology..

That reminded me of this.

• Reply 404 of 757
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member

:no:
  • Reply 405 of 757
    Quote:

Quote:

Gotcha!

• Reply 406 of 757
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

I'm curious why you and 

@mstone ...

Not me dude. I'm a BCE/CE guy for many, many years. Please...

I may quote a lot of biblical stuff just because I was made to memorize it, but BC and AD is not in the book.

After reading your post I am confused. It seems contradictory to both my original remark to be in agreement with the OP as well as your own saying that you prefer BCE. Anyway whatever, I'm sticking with BCE because it is more academic in my opinion.

• Reply 407 of 757
    mstone wrote: »
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I'm curious why you and 
    [@=/u/24353/mstone]@mstone[/@] ...

I may quote a lot of biblical stuff just because I was made to memorize it, but BC and AD is not in the book.

After reading your post I am confused. It seems contradictory to both my original remark to be in agreement with the OP as well as your own saying that you prefer BCE. Anyway whatever, I'm sticking with BCE because it is more academic in my opinion.

I think he made a Freudian slip, which resulted in the exact opposite of what he meant to say. I duly took advantage… ????
  • Reply 408 of 757

Mea culpa. I attributed [@]Benjamin Frost[/@]'s "As it should." comment to you.

• Reply 409 of 757
    I think he made a Freudian slip, which resulted in the exact opposite of what he meant to say. I duly took advantage… ????

Can you point out this I want to have sex with my mother Freudian slip?
  • Reply 410 of 757

Can you point out this I want to have sex with my mother Freudian slip?

Re-read post 450 carefully.
  • Reply 411 of 757

Ah, I see the mistake but I still fail to see a Freudian slip. What unconscious desires do you think I have regarding the terms BCE/CE or BC/AD?
  • Reply 412 of 757

Ah, I see the mistake but I still fail to see a Freudian slip. What unconscious desires do you think I have regarding the terms BCE/CE or BC/AD?

You're a closet Christian!
  • Reply 413 of 757
    You're a closet Christian!

That explains my claustrophobia¡
  • Reply 414 of 757
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

That explains my claustrophobia¡

Ho ho ho! Merrrrrrry Night Terrors!

• Reply 415 of 757
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

My confusion with CE and BCE is the use of the exact same years. 

The main problem with both era designations is that they are missing year zero. The year after 1 BC is 1 AD. Plus no one actually knows the birthday of the Messiah so that introduces another approximation. The Jewish calendar or the Chinese calendar are much more accurate and share many similarities since they are both lunar based. Study up.

• Reply 416 of 757
    My confusion with CE and BCE is the use of the exact same years. 
    The main problem with both era designations is that they are missing year zero. The year after 1 BC is 1 AD. plus no one actually knows the birthday of the Messiah so that introduces another approximation. The Jewish calendar or the Chinese calendar are much more accurate and share many similarities since they are both lunar based. Study up.

The Christian calendar is also lunar-based. That's how Easter is worked out.
  • Reply 417 of 757
    Quote:

All bogus. There is no easter in the bible. Greeks and Catholics celebrate easter on different days.

• Reply 418 of 757
    All bogus. There is no easter in the bible. Greeks and Catholics celebrate easter on different days.

Try reading The Book of Common Prayer.
  • Reply 419 of 757
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member

Easter is the only holiday that's lunar based because it has to come after Passover.
  • Reply 420 of 757
    Quote:

Try reading The Book of Common Prayer.

Never heard of it. I have only read  english / hebrew scripture and cross referenced versions that are accredited.