Apple reveals most employees are white men, says diversity needs to be improved

Comments

• Reply 421 of 757
    mstone wrote: »

[CONTENTEMBED=/t/181788/apple-reveals-most-employees-are-white-men-says-diversity-needs-to-be-improved/400_100#post_2578879 layout=inline]Try reading The Book of Common Prayer.[/CONTENTEMBED]
    Never heard of it. I only read  english / hebrew scripture and cross referenced versions that are accredited.

Your ignorance is irrelevant.

My point still stands: Easter is lunar-based, at least partly, and your assertion that it is bogus is built on sand, and the tide has come in.
  • Reply 422 of 757
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    My confusion with CE and BCE is the use of the exact same years. They seem to exist solely to remove any direct reference–no matter how small (and, in this case, not even spoken)–to Christianity. That’s kind of self-serving itself (and without point, since we already have a universally known–if not used–system). Why not use the Roman numbering system for years, then? Or the Chinese?

It's not self-serving but generalized terminology. It's also an intelligent compromise to not try to get the world to use an entirely new dating system which, if the US is any indication of changes to measurements, would go very poorly.
  • Reply 423 of 757
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

My point still stands: Easter is lunar-based, at least partly, and your assertion that it is bogus is built on sand, and the tide has come in.

Although I have considerable experience studying judean /christian literature and history, I do not believe any of the supernatural mythology including the resurrection of the Messiah, so we will have to remain in disagreement.

• Reply 424 of 757
    The Christian calendar is also lunar-based.

How so? The liturgical year is still 1 year that follows the seasons, not something that occurs every 28 days.

Try reading The Book of Common Prayer.

That was written in the 16th century. That seems as valid for saying Easter is in the Bible as John Smith saying Jesus visited North America.
  • Reply 425 of 757
    sporlosporlo Posts: 143member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

How so? The liturgical year is still 1 year that follows the seasons, not something that occurs every 28 days.

That was written in the 16th century. That seems as valid for saying Easter is in the Bible as John Smith saying Jesus visited North America.

How does this relate to "Apple reveals most employees are white men, says diversity needs to be improved"?

• Reply 426 of 757
    sporlo wrote: »
    How does this relate to "Apple reveals most employees are white men, says diversity needs to be improved"?

The same way a single-celled organism relates to us: read the previous 472 posts to see how the conversation evolved.
  • Reply 427 of 757
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,130member
    I guess I missed a turn a few hundred pages ago. Are you saying that Time Cook refuses to hire people who celebrate Easter?

And BTW, it's not "Catholic and Greek Easters". Let's not forget our Protestant and our Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Romanian, etc. friends. I prefer the terms "Western Easter" and "Eastern Easter" (especially since the latter has a nice alliteration!)
  • Reply 428 of 757
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

What a disaster of a thread.

• Reply 429 of 757
    mstone wrote: »

[CONTENTEMBED=/t/181788/apple-reveals-most-employees-are-white-men-says-diversity-needs-to-be-improved/400_100#post_2578886 layout=inline]My point still stands: Easter is lunar-based, at least partly, and your assertion that it is bogus is built on sand, and the tide has come in.[/CONTENTEMBED]
    Although I have considerable experience studying judean /christian literature and history, I do not believe any of the supernatural mythology including the resurrection of the Messiah, so we will have to remain in disagreement.

Perhaps you'll see the light one day!
  • Reply 430 of 757
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    How did this thread get derailed into a discussion on theology?
  • Reply 431 of 757
    How did this thread get derailed into a discussion on theology?

Read the thread; don't be lazy.
  • Reply 432 of 757
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

I already knew it was your fault. The question was rhetorical.
  • Reply 433 of 757

I already knew it was your fault. The question was rhetorical.

Nope. It was SolipsismX bemoaning the use of BC and AD. Because everyone wrings their hands in anguish day after day at the fearful prospect of having to refer to 2014 as 2014.
  • Reply 434 of 757
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Nope. It was SolipsismX bemoaning the use of BC and AD. Because everyone wrings their hands in anguish day after day at the fearful prospect of having to refer to 2014 as 2014.

What?  Did you totally imagine a different argument that didn't happen?

• Reply 435 of 757

That's a completely didn't conversation that, in no way, has to do with books of prayer or closet zealots. It was simply about neutral terms for a global standard. If you'd like another example of universal standards, I think the US should finally get on board with the metric system.
  • Reply 436 of 757
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,130member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Easter is littered with Pagan rituals. Straight from the Catholic Encyclopedia

http://oce.catholic.com/index.php?title=Easter

Bunny rabbit? eggs?

3. The Easter Rabbit

...lays the eggs, for which reason they are hidden in a nest or in the garden. The rabbit is a pagan symbol and has always been an emblem of fertility (Simrock, Mythologie, 551).

2. Easter Eggs

The custom may have its origin in paganism, for a great many pagan customs, celebrating the return of spring,

Easter candy isn’t Christian. The Easter bunny isn’t Christian. Easter eggs aren’t Christian. Most of what people commonly associate with Easter is pagan in origin; the rest is commercial.

Sure, and so is Christmas (Santa Claus, Christmas trees), but those are not the Christian-faith based observances.  While it's true that the dates of Christmas and Easter were deliberately fixed to coincide with and, it was hoped, cover up the pagan rituals, it doesn't detract from their true meaning, the birth of Christ and the crucifixion and resurrection of Christ.  

Don't throw the baby out with the bath water!  

• Reply 437 of 757
    fred1 wrote: »
    Don't throw the baby out with the bath water!

Ah, yes, that old pagan tradition that eventually became the Catholic infant baptism¡
  • Reply 438 of 757
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,598member
    asdasd wrote: »
    None of that deals with my claim. All of those tests might be valid , I am sure they are because humans have all kinds of bias, but not just white/ black. I am talking about the biases not tested for. Americans tend not to look into class biases because there is a general uniformity of class accents. And regional biases tend to be limited as the accent is fairly uniform. These things do exist elsewhere and may overcome racial biases ie somebody with a RP/Oxbridge accent in the UK regardless of race will generally get more favourable treatment than a working class Geordie.

Don't assume I am a white American either.

I'm not assuming anything about you. On the other hand, your saying that doesn't give me pause to think you are not a white male either.
  • Reply 439 of 757
    My post included this:  "The visas are about employee expectations, engineering and programming skill levels and costs."

Ah, I see. But really, it's all about costs. The rest is just a smokescreen to attempt to hide that.
  • Reply 440 of 757
    No difficulty; thanks for the condescending reply, though.

I feel as though it required, as you either don't understand what I wrote, or chose not to.