Jony Ive reportedly says 'iWatch' will be trouble for Switzerland

Comments

• Reply 181 of 243
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member

I used to get shocking migraines and had this wonderful inhaler which delivered an inhaled form of ergotamine tartrate.  I have a very soft spot for ergot and the considerable amount of pain it relieved.

• Reply 182 of 243
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mike Eggleston View Post

Seriously, you are squabbling over semantics? Girl : Woman is to Boy : Man. In other words, they are the same thing....  And while your statement is correct (we do live in a male dominated society), I know that my stance is not so.... If you think that women do not objectify men in the same way, you obviously have been lied to, not paying attention, or (if you are a woman) suppressing your own basic animal instincts.

I didn't immediately respond to your earlier response (post #154) to my statement, for you were measured and thoughtful, although I also stumbled over the girl:woman issue mentioned by Flaneur--in fact, it confused me at first, until I realized you were being merely imprecise. And I won't get into name-calling, either, nor try to refute your professed stance on society.

But I will definitely affirm your final comment--that (some) women (and men) also objectify men. I've been recently criticized on a different site by its (mostly female) readership for my similarly feminist commentary there, regarding everything from childcare to "beefcake calander" photos being posted. Sometimes even the victims of prejudice, stereotype and repression reinforce the problem, unwittingly.  One might call it "internalized misogyny".  It is no more correct than when men do it.  And now, having delved far, far off-topic, I'll stop.  Cheerio!

• Reply 183 of 243
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

They're not 'neutral.' They are isolationist. That much Nazi gold in your bankers' vaults will drive you there.

I don't think that word means what you think it means. They are non-interventionist (aka neutral). Huge difference.

• Reply 184 of 243
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by aussienorm View Post

We certainly aren't fighting.

Fine. Cripple fight! image

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

…all we're ever going to be doing is slagging each other off all day every day...

In less than a week this forum will become intolerable with the number of trolls signing up after a major Apple event.

Have faith in the moderation, O ye of little faith.

• Reply 185 of 243
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Fine. Cripple fight! image

For fvck's sake, we're in Australia.

Get it right!

;)

I sometimes think life must be terribly difficult for you Ozzies, having to read everything upside down all the time. ????

• Reply 186 of 243
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    cnocbui wrote: »
    I used to get shocking migraines and had this wonderful inhaler which delivered an inhaled form of ergotamine tartrate.  I have a very soft spot for ergot and the considerable amount of pain it relieved.

Interesting. I wonder if it's still used. Hofmann said ergot was being investigated for obstetrics because the midwives had used it from ancient times for birthing problems. An example of how an unbroken folk tradition is to be defended at all costs. We haven't been doing such a good job of it here, but the Swiss . . .
  • Reply 187 of 243
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

If I'm no longer here, then so be it.

I think everyone who has ever got to know your mindset will say this after you have passed away.

That's an unnecessarily nasty comment. No need to scrape the bottom of the barrel.

• Reply 188 of 243
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TeaEarleGreyHot View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post

Their chocolate and women are pretty good

Comments like this cast the AI forum as a "boys club" and objectifies women.  

A culture and attitude that reinforce the notion that women are not welcome here.

Alas, that this comment can be posted and replied to with no one objecting to the inherent sexism is further evidence of the imbalance. This is exactly the sort of atmosphere that needs to be neutralized. Both here, and in the tech industry in general.

Oh please; get over yourself.

• Reply 189 of 243
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Eggleston View Post

Normally I skip over comments like this, but this struck a nerve with me. If you were to switch the comment around, and it was a girl that said that about men dipped in chocolate, I can almost bet money nobody would jump up and down saying that was sexism. If anything, it is natural for the opposite sex (and sometimes same sex, not ruling anything out) to objectify and to fantasize about the gender of their choice. His comment was at best benign.

Now, if he turned around and told some lady poster on here to shut up and dip herself in chocolate, that is sexism. That crap needs to end. Saying that a Swiss woman would be fantastic if dipped in Swiss chocolate (slightly on topic and obviously sarcastic) when we are talking about the Swiss and what would happen if the iWatch were to directly compete with their market, is a bit of perverse fun, and nothing more.

/rant

He wasn't talking about a girl, he was talking about women. You just illustrated that you're squarely immersed in a male supremacist culture. You can't switch the comment around as if you're dealing with equal players, when one is "a girl" and the other is "a man."

God, have we ever gone backward since the 1970s. Read your Germaine Greer, it's very entertaining. She's Australian, by the way, so she knows what she's talking about when she talks about immature jerk-off men. Not that she lacked for material dealing with American men.

You can go and dip your Germaine Greer in Swiss chocolate, as far as I'm concerned.

• Reply 190 of 243

Ha! Not in the slightest.

A culture and attitude that reinforce the notion that women are not welcome here.

Desiring and complimenting women means they’re not welcome here? No wonder I have no luck with the ladies.

...objecting to the inherent sexism is further evidence of the imbalance.

Or further evidence that there is no sexism.

• Reply 191 of 243
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Ha! Not in the slightest.

Desiring and complimenting women means they’re not welcome here? No wonder I have no luck with the ladies.

...objecting to the inherent sexism is further evidence of the imbalance.

Or further evidence that there is no sexism.

You know that when phrases like 'neutralised sexism' and 'male supremacist culture' appear, the loonies have taken over the asylum.

• Reply 192 of 243
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

Interesting. I wonder if it's still used. Hofmann said ergot was being investigated for obstetrics because the midwives had used it from ancient times for birthing problems. An example of how an unbroken folk tradition is to be defended at all costs. We haven't been doing such a good job of it here, but the Swiss . . .

Yes, it's still around.  I believe ergot is used to stop bleeding if it's excessive after the placenta detaches  as it's a powerful vaso-constrictor.

• Reply 193 of 243
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

Quote:

Yes, it's still around.  I believe ergot is used to stop bleeding if it's excessive after the placenta detaches  as it's a powerful vaso-constrictor.

Please would you move the conversation on from detachable placentas?

Thanks.

• Reply 194 of 243
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    I sometimes think life must be terribly difficult for you Ozzies, having to read everything upside down all the time. ????

You should try driving upside-down while trying to read road signs (which are also written upside-down - meaning that they're written the right way up). It's a nightmare.

And don't even get me started on trying to drink a glass of water...

;)
  • Reply 195 of 243
    expectations are so so high now. they better deliver.
  • Reply 196 of 243
    truffol wrote: »

Controlled leaks, my friend.
  • Reply 197 of 243

The advertising motto that I remember (or think I remember) was; "Give you wife a good Gruen for Christmas! At fine jewelers everywhere."

• Reply 198 of 243
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

They're not 'neutral.' They are isolationist. That much Nazi gold in your bankers' vaults will drive you there.

I don't think that word means what you think it means. They are non-interventionist. Huge difference.

• Reply 199 of 243
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    truffol wrote: »

You make a good point.

They're a little low on cash.

An unsuccessful product right now could destroy them.
  • Reply 200 of 243
    Quote:

To be offended is a choice we make; it is not a condition inflicted or imposed upon us by someone or something else.

Not true. That was a popular tenet of 1970's feel-good psychology, but the reality is that human beings have feelings, and it's natural to react to antagonism with anger, insult with pain, etc.

One may be able to control how they act on those feelings and thus how they respond, but being offended is no more a conscious choice than the pain one feels when stubbing their toe.

All of this is of course notwithstanding psychosis or atypical anatomy.