ABC News teases report of 'historic' Apple announcement

Comments

• Reply 161 of 237
    Originally Posted by 4myego View Post

Haven't read all the comments about "historic Apple announcement" but I reckon the most "historic announcement" is that the announcements will be made in Apple's own building.

YES! It’s ALL a diversionary tactic!

Tonight, between 1 and 4 AM, the entirety of the new Infinite Loop premises will be surrounded by a cloth curtain. Then, at 1 PM EST, Cook will come on stage at the [wherever they are] and announce that the announcement has moved to their new premises. Take an hour to shuffle everyone over there, and then BOOM! David Blaine appears! Amidst fireworks and smoke machines, the curtain is removed to reveal a completed Infinite Loop building and the entirety of Apple Campus 2, complete with orchard and grass. 

Then David Blaine explodes. “Huzzah, I’m gone!”

Then everyone walks to the new auditorium for the real announcement.

• Reply 162 of 237
    They're replacing all Apple employees with Steve Job Clones!
  • Reply 163 of 237
    rorwessels wrote: »
    Maybe they are ready to launch their own service to compete with AT&T and Verizon.

As TS said... they can't do that.

But let's pretend Apple could operate their own network in the United States.

So what about the 150 other countries that the iPhone is currently available in?

Apple may have their hands in a lot of different businesses... but they don't want to be in the carrier business.
  • Reply 164 of 237
    ABC is owned by Disney... Laurene Powell Jobs (Steve's wife) is now a major stockholder in Disney... Disney has a long, close history with Apple... Apple may have given ABC  "behind-the-scenes" exclusive coverage and interviews which will later follow the announcement...

Good grief, this announcement is starting to sound absolutely massive. Apple has never said anything like "historic" in any of their announcements...

This has to go beyond the iWatch, beyond clothes with tech integration... (eyes bugging out)

Admittedly, I'm insane, but here goes:

"iWatch is a service. Apple is buying Disney, and using that muscle, they're wrangling up the other studios to beef up ATV offerings, which will sync/record on-demand through the Apple Ecosystem.

The actual watch may still be released, but will be called something else entirely. My wild theory is that Apple is actually building the innards and letting actual watch makers/fashion designers fit it into their devices alongside Apple's flagship model. Along those lines, Apple will have imbedded sensors for fashion accessories.

Two iPhones as expected.

Siri and Watson are havin a baby, and it'll live in iOS, Mac OS and whatever it is ATV runs.

Accordingly, new AppleTV with microphone in the remote\box itself.

As with the iWatch, homekit will get some hardware additions for mfrs to use/self implement.

Umm... That's all for now, folks!"

Oh and your bit about the close ties with Disney made my imagination go, so I ran with it. Thanks for the fun!

Edit: ties not toes, and no idea why "bu" seemed acceptable to my autocorrect.
  • Reply 165 of 237
    Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

So what about the 150 other countries that the iPhone is currently available in?

Satellite phone, then. Yes, you have an 850ms lag between all statements on all calls, but service everywhere, everywhen, guaranteed. Contract with SpaceX to get the satellites into GEO.

• Reply 166 of 237
    YES! It’s ALL a diversionary tactic!

Tonight, between 1 and 4 AM, the entirety of the new Infinite Loop premises will be surrounded by a cloth curtain. Then, at 1 PM EST, Cook will come on stage at the [wherever they are] and announce that the announcement has moved to their new premises. Take an hour to shuffle everyone over there, and then BOOM! David Blaine appears! Amidst fireworks and smoke machines, the curtain is removed to reveal a completed Infinite Loop building and the entirety of Apple Campus 2, complete with orchard and grass. 

Then David Blaine explodes. “Huzzah, I’m gone!”

Then everyone walks to the new auditorium for the real announcement.

Well, they may as well fly away in that apace ship if you're going that far. ;)
  • Reply 167 of 237
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    I would laugh so hard if Apple would just announce a 'speed bump' for the Mac Mini and then leave the stage.
  • Reply 168 of 237
    Originally Posted by dacloo View Post

I would laugh so hard if Apple would just announce a 'speed bump' for the Mac Mini and then leave the stage.

“Thank you all for coming, here’s Bono to play us out.”

*11 O’Clock Tick Tock*

*Another Time, Another Place*

*Is That All?*

• Reply 169 of 237
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by freediverx View Post

Connectivity from anywhere, not just where good wifi is available.

Haver you even tried using wifi at a Starbucks? You could get better bandwidth using smoke signals.

I feel sorry for you.  My Starbucks WiFi works like a charm.

• Reply 170 of 237
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

The word "historic" sounds like hyperbole to me. I can't imagine a tech company (even Apple) announcing anything of historic scale importance. Medical companies could, e.g. cure for cancer. But computer companies? A quantum computer maybe. Or the first AI. But neither of those are going to happen, it will just be a wearable computer.

Maybe in a few years we will all be wearing computers, and look back on this as the start, and that's what they mean by this being an historic announcement.

• Reply 171 of 237
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    ascii wrote: »
    The word "historic" sounds like hyperbole to me. I can't imagine a tech company (even Apple) announcing anything of historic scale importance. Medical companies could, e.g. cure for cancer. But computer companies? A quantum computer maybe. Or the first AI. But neither of those are going to happen, it will just be a wearable computer.

Maybe in a few years we will all be wearing computers, and look back on this as the start, and that's what they mean by this being an historic announcement.

Mac… historic.
    iPod… historic.
    iPhone… historic.
    iPad… historic.
    ???… historic.

All it means is that it's notable in history. Even failures can be historic. Of course the history they mention hasn't happened yet so it's definitely used for marketing but to your larger point about a tech company being able to have something of note about the past is clearly true.
  • Reply 172 of 237
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Mac… historic.

iPod… historic.

iPhone… historic.

iPad… historic.

???… historic.

All it means is that it's notable in history. Even failures can be historic.

Notable in the history of computers or the history of man?

p.s. ??? = iWear

• Reply 173 of 237
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    ascii wrote: »
    Notable in the history of computers or the history of man?

p.s. ??? = iWear

1) Both.

2) You clearly don't think it's the latter but Apple didn't qualify their statement, you made an assumption.

3) I'd love for the 'i' names to end.
  • Reply 174 of 237
    No. iShoe was so yesterday! It will be iClone! Ever wanted to be at two different places at the same time? Well, now you can! And no one will tell the difference between the original you and your clone! It's sure to be a Apple's greatest hit ever!
  • Reply 175 of 237
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Now anything less than the world's first full-blown Artificial Intelligence on your wrist (for $199) is going to give the Wall Street morons even more incentive to kneecap the stock.

Don't bitch... ...buying on the dips has always been the best way to capitalize on correct long-term convictions...

• Reply 176 of 237
    Maybe Apple will declare their new campus a Sovereign State within a state... similar to the Vatican?...:D

After the 4th quarter results, I certainly expect Apple to have the financial wherewithal... after which they'll have more money than many mid-sized countries.

NOTE: if pipped, hats off to the OP.

Gotta get to a clients... but will be back in time to watch the internet implode (and this woefully inept programmed and hosted site will probably be first to go).... :smokey:

[SIZE=4][COLOR=green]7 HOURS - 56 MINUTES[/COLOR] -> [COLOR=red]Apple 3.0[/COLOR][/SIZE]
  • Reply 177 of 237
    ABC wouldn't risk their new news anchor's credibility by hyping this event just to flatter Apple --- there's a good chance this is "historic" because it involves ABC-Disney. Remember that CEO Bob Iger and ABC Entertainment Chair Anne Sweeney were the first to make their video content available on the original video iPod. Perhaps they're now doing the same for a new iteration of AppleTV --- helping Apple "crack the code," just as Steve Jobs promised biographer Walter Isaacson.
  • Reply 179 of 237
    Originally Posted by Arthur Greenwald View Post

ABC wouldn't risk their new news anchor's credibility by hyping this event just to flatter Apple

Sure they would. They spew garbage about Apple the rest of the year to short the stock; why is this different?

• Reply 180 of 237
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member

By the way, and I realize this is totally OT, but this thread seemed to be active, so ...

Is there not going to be an Apple TV channel for the event this year?  I checked just a little while ago, and it hadn't been added.  I thought usually it was there by this time.

Anyways, sorry for the OT.