ABC News teases report of 'historic' Apple announcement

Posted:
in General Discussion edited September 2014
On the eve of Apple's big media event, ABC News on Monday posted a teaser spot for an exclusive report covering what the broadcaster calls a "historic announcement."


Source: ABC News


Details are scarce, but it appears ABC World News Tonight anchor David Muir has been granted inside access to Apple's event, which is expected to include the debut of new iPhone models and possibly an "iWatch" wearable device with mobile payments support.

"Tomorrow Apple will make a groundbreaking announcement - and ABC's David Muir will be the only anchor with exclusive access as it happens," ABC writes on its webpage.



As seen in the short clip above, Apple CEO Tim Cook is shown chatting with Muir, though the footage was taken from a previous broadcast filmed during the Mac's 30th anniversary.

Still, it is possible that Cook or other high-ranking execs could make an appearance on World News Tonight, perhaps as part of a pre-recorded interview, as Muir was able to score a rare one-on-one interview with the Apple chief in January. The sit-down talk, which also included interviews with Apple's head of Software Engineering Craig Federighi and VP of Software Technology Bud Tribble, ranged from government surveillance to Apple's legendary product secrecy.

Apple is expected to debut its next iPhone on Tuesday, though hype surrounding a rumored "iWatch" wearable has took the spotlight this past weekend after it was reported that Apple invited a large number of fashion editors and bloggers to the event.
«13456712

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 237
    roakeroake Posts: 648member

    Perhaps they are announcing a donation to the Samsung Memorial Museum for Derelict Technology (otherwise known as the Samsung Effigy Fund).

  • Reply 2 of 237

    ABC is owned by Disney... Laurene Powell Jobs (Steve's wife) is now a major stockholder in Disney... Disney has a long, close history with Apple... Apple may have given ABC  "behind-the-scenes" exclusive coverage and interviews which will later follow the announcement...

     

    Good grief, this announcement is starting to sound absolutely massive. Apple has never said anything like "historic" in any of their announcements...

     

    This has to go beyond the iWatch, beyond clothes with tech integration... (eyes bugging out)

  • Reply 3 of 237
    Last call for iphone and iwatch rumors. The watch won't actually be smart at all, it'll be an ordinary watch.
  • Reply 4 of 237
    Whoa. Dudes. No hype there.
  • Reply 5 of 237
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

     

    ABC is owned by Disney... Laurene Powell Jobs (Steve's wife) is now a major stockholder in Disney... Disney has a long, close history with Apple... Apple may have given ABC  "behind-the-scenes" exclusive coverage and interviews which will later follow the announcement...

     

    Good grief, this announcement is starting to sound absolutely massive. Apple has never said anything like "historic" in any of their announcements...

     

    This has to go beyond the iWatch, beyond clothes with tech integration... (eyes bugging out)


    maybe it's historic in a sense that we're witnessing the beginning of Apple transitioning to a company at the intersection of fashion & technology.  Here's a an excellent blog post and podcast by Horace Dediu alluding to something along those lines;

     

    http://www.asymco.com/2014/09/04/going-where-the-money-is/

     

    http://www.asymco.com/2014/09/08/the-critical-path-120-i-wish-i-could-say-less/

  • Reply 6 of 237

    Historic? Unless there is something else beside iWatch that's new, there is not going to be anything that deserve this hype.

  • Reply 7 of 237
    Apple must be pretty confident that what they have is significant and will be well received. I keep thinking of Eddy Cue's statement that he felt it was the best product pipeline in 25 years. For what Apple's accomplished, that's saying something.

    I'm certain some will opine that it ended up being over-hyped. I may even feel that way myself. But I do expect surprises and something significant.
  • Reply 8 of 237
    The other thing is that Apple's page is directing the general public to watch the announcement live tomorrow. I can't think of the last time that's happened. Usually the live events get enough buzz without it, and Apple certainly posts the replays on the main site. Apple is making sure that a wide audience is going to hear about this one.
  • Reply 9 of 237
    Apple must have plenty up their sleeves. Given the hype so far, I'm guessing Apple will exceed the hype.
  • Reply 10 of 237
    This excites me. The iPhones, iPads, and iWatch seem to be a given. What else is super significant?
  • Reply 11 of 237
    iTV?
  • Reply 13 of 237
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by waldobushman View Post



    Apple must have plenty up their sleeves. Given the hype so far, I'm guessing Apple will exceed the hype.

     

    Now anything less than the world's first full-blown Artificial Intelligence on your wrist (for $199) is going to give the Wall Street morons even more incentive to kneecap the stock.

  • Reply 14 of 237

     

    Nope. That thing is massive. Not real.

  • Reply 15 of 237

    I am not sure this is Apple hyping as much as it ABC News hyping their interview.  It seems to me they are capitalizing on the buzz and hoping to get some eyeballs.  They just might, too, since every other media outlet will be blathering on about it ad naseum all day.

     

    Does anyone else miss the days when us geeks and rumor followers would hear about new product first?  Now it seems everyone I know insists on parroting back some news person's idiotic "analysis" of what the new product(s) are/mean for Apple.  Did you know about...?  Yes.  Well, what about the...?  Yes.  But, but what about...?  No, because that's patently false.  Stop listening to Faux News, etc., etc.

  • Reply 16 of 237

    I hope the iWatch is $99 and can be sold without the iPhone.

    Also, would the 2010 iPad announcement be called historic?

  • Reply 17 of 237
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by appletweak View Post

     

    I am not sure this is Apple hyping as much as it ABC News hyping their interview.  It seems to me they are capitalizing on the buzz and hoping to get some eyeballs.  They just might, too, since every other media outlet will be blathering on about it ad naseum all day.

     

    Does anyone else miss the days when us geeks and rumor followers would hear about new product first?  Now it seems everyone I know insists on parroting back some news person's idiotic "analysis" of what the new product(s) are/mean for Apple.  Did you know about...?  Yes.  Well, what about the...?  Yes.  But, but what about...?  No, because that's patently false.  Stop listening to Faux News, etc., etc.


     

    That's just it, ABC already knows what this announcement will be and they are confident enough to call it "historic". Something big this way comes.

  • Reply 18 of 237

    Maybe we will finally get an iShoe!!!

     

  • Reply 19 of 237
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,772member
    Yikes! Apple will announce that it will give other vendors a chance to use its software.
  • Reply 20 of 237

    Problem is no man is going to wear that. It looks like an oversized bangle.

Sign In or Register to comment.