Apple Pay sparks inter-bank battle to be consumers' default choice

Comments

• Reply 101 of 165
    solipsismx wrote: »
    1) That comparatively weak chip security isn't what Apple is offering with ?Pay.

2) Apple's system appears to allow for better than "card present" rates for merchants so I'm sure most will see the benefit in adopting NFC.

1) they don't care, chip security is good enough.

2) I don't think so, transactions costs are very low and already reduced several times. The payment networks are separate from the banks and will have no incentive at all to let Apple do their work (they will be out of business is they do).
  • Reply 102 of 165
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Originally Posted by Lorin Schultz View Post

You snipped out "/Ballmer" from the end of his post.

Added after I replied.

@#$%&!!! Now THAT'S confusing!

Sorry. Again.

• Reply 103 of 165
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

OT: anyone heard why Apple is having regulatory issues with iPhone in China? The rumor I heard this morning is iPhone 6 might not launch there until next year. Must be why the stock is down today, Ouch if true.

Doesn't matter. People of China can wait. It's just that their government sucks. For now, they have to due with the smuggle from Hong Kong...I heard that iPhone 6 was offered at few thousand dollars some places in China.

• Reply 104 of 165
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cali View Post

HOLY COWW!!

I was just explaining to a "Apple-hasn't-innovated-in-years" Fandroid how ApplePay is the Next Big Thing.

This aggressive marketing takes it to a whole 'nother level!!

This is Apple's real next game changer.

Fandroids are delusional, denial and defensive. They don't realize that Apple Pay will make Google Wallet look like a welfare case seriously. I didn't see banks implementing Google Wallet, but I was at Wells and Chase yesterday and their ATM announced the Apple Pay to be implemented in October. Yup.

• Reply 105 of 165
    Apple is on track. My primary card will be the one with the best payback when I use Apple Pay.
  • Reply 106 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Paul94544 View Post

How many devices are on KitKat 4.4 again?

100% of the two Android phones in my family are. 0% of the three Apples are NFC capable...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

A year or two? I would be surprised if the installed based tips in Apple's favour within 6 months, as well as more people using ?Pay over Android's NFC within a month.

How many Android-based devices are there being used now that have both NFC -and- KitKat?

~4 million Nexus 5s, ~3 millions Nexus 4s, however many gobs of Samsung Galaxies that have received updates since the S3...

Just in the last week, I've traded contact info with three people via NFC. One dad from my kids' school, and two colleagues from another company.

Android is certainly fragmented, but the pointy end is not barren.

• Reply 107 of 165
    Quote:

it was the carriers that rejected google wallet the problem google has is that it implements tech too quickly doesn't really think about what it is doing strategically and just rushes out lots of crappy beta products hoping that one day one of them will stick. Google is the equivalent of Samsung - they try everything wasting resources in the process and only a few of their products stick. It's a flawed business model. They have gotten away with it because they have such deep pockets because 90% of their revenue is search click ads. Google is still not diversified enough. The business will fail unless they change it.

But I'm really pleased with Google, they are the new incubator, they try stuff out, screw it up and Apple comes along afterwards and implements the practical real solution

I love...Google (ball) TV, Google self driving car, Google glasses, Google Wallet...and next will be Google smart home or...not really, none of these is really in alpha version...

• Reply 108 of 165
    IMO, the most significant [Apple] announcements in 2014 (so far):
    1. ApplePay
    2. New Openness of Apple and Developer SDKs
    3. AppleWatch
    4. iPhone 6
    5. IBM Apple deal
    6. Swift / Xcode 6

You could argue between 3 and 4 -- the iP6 is the lubrication ($ and scale) that make it all work -- but, I believe that iWatch will have a greater impact over the long term -- making it ridiculousy easy to buy things with ApplePay.

And, we ain't seen nothin' yet!

Throw Metal into that list. Portable gaming is about to go to a whole new level.
  • Reply 109 of 165
    Quote:

It's a flawed business model. They have gotten away with it because they have such deep pockets

You see the irony here, right?

• Reply 110 of 165
    [quote name="waterrockets" url="/t/182314/apple-pay-sparks-inter-bank-battle-to-be-consumers-default-choice/80#post_2599878"]
    100% of the two Android phones in my family are. 0% of the three Apples are…[/QUOTE]

There should be an emoji after that strawman.

[QUOTE]~4 million Nexus 5s, ~3 millions Nexus 4s, however many gobs of Samsung Galaxies that have received updates since the S3…[/QUOTE]

With what Apple sells in their [S]Christmas (fuçk every other religions event except for the Christian ones¡)[/S] Holiday quarter that seems like a very, very, very low number.

[QUOTE]Just in the last week, I've traded contact info with three people via NFC. One dad from my kids' school, and two colleagues from another company.[/QUOTE]

And doesn't trading contact info mean you all had to also have KitKat installed, too?
  • Reply 111 of 165
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cali View Post

If Apple really wants to take it to the next level they can add a Touch ID sensor to the back of the watch which constantly reads and records your wrist until it has a detailed record of it. DONE.

Are you serious, man? What kind of record does Touch ID need to read from your wrist, a film of finger print sticking in there? Touch ID is to record the biometric specific to a person which is finger print, not your skin, unless it has DNA identification. Touch ID may be built under the screen, but I don't think at this point the technology allows it yet.

• Reply 112 of 165
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Beerstalker View Post

Exactly, I definitely want to be able to choose a default card.  I use my Discover card for the vast majority of my purchases.  I want to be able to set it as my default card and use it most of the time.  If I want to use a different card, then I can go in and choose that card when I need to use it.  I don't want to have to take those extra steps to pick a card each and every time I pay for something.

Seems to me that Tallest Skil should have read the article :)  Apple/the banks are not forcing a default card on you.  The banks are advertising to try to get you to pick them as your default card.  If Discover doesn't join Apple pay before it launches, then I will definitely be taking a look at what kind of offers my other cards are making me to try to get me to use them as my default card.

Chase Visa, Citi MasterCard, what kind of incentives are you going to give me?

I sent an email to Discover Card customer support and was told that although they can't comment on the timing, they are indeed working with Apple and Apple Pay.  This is good news cause Discover has been my card of choice and they have been very good to me.

• Reply 113 of 165
    Quote:

There should be an emoji after that strawman.

With what Apple sells in their Christmas (fuçk every other religions event except for the Christian ones¡) Holiday quarter that seems like a very, very, very low number.

And doesn't trading contact info mean you all had to also have KitKat installed, too?

Point is, I don't care how many people don't have NFC or KitKat, because I have it. Do you care how many people are using an iPhone 4?

Maybe the sales numbers are low, and there are more of them out there? They outsold their Nexus plan since the 4, because they all sold out multiple times. Could have been higher. I fail to see why it matters. When I'm out shopping, I can tap to pay. Works fine. If the person behind me has a phone that doesn't support it (like an iPhone 5s or a Droid Incredible), why should I care?

Android phones have been beaming over NFC since 4.0.

• Reply 114 of 165

I just can't believe that only one Apple event can cause big dents for many big companies's products out there: 

1. iPhone 6 vs other smart phones

2. iPhone 6+ vs phablet market

3. Apple Pay vs Google Wallet, Pay Pal and other banking methods

4. Apple Watch vs other smart watches, fitness bands and traditional watch industry

Anything else?

• Reply 115 of 165
    Quote:

Originally Posted by waterrockets View Post

Point is, I don't care how many people don't have NFC or KitKat, because I have it. Do you care how many people are using an iPhone 4?

Maybe the sales numbers are low, and there are more of them out there? They outsold their Nexus plan since the 4, because they all sold out multiple times. Could have been higher. I fail to see why it matters. When I'm out shopping, I can tap to pay. Works fine. If the person behind me has a phone that doesn't support it (like an iPhone 5s or a Droid Incredible), why should I care?

Somehow I feel like you're in the wrong forum.

• Reply 116 of 165

I care how many people will be using NFC because a successful, worldwide and universal payment system accepted pretty much everywhere Debit and CCs are taken cannot be supported by you and your one device.

Now you're just trying obfuscate the point about Google's weird disassociation with older versions of Android the severe lack of NFC or adequate SW on nearly all shipping Android models.
  • Reply 117 of 165
    Originally Posted by Lorin Schultz View Post

@#$%&!!! Now THATS confusing! Sorry. Again.

No problem at all. I wouldn’t have remembered anyway.

• Reply 118 of 165
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

Somehow I feel like you're in the wrong forum.

Nope. I buy, own, and use Apple products. Same for Android. I think they're on pretty even ground.

Quote:

I care how many people will be using NFC because a successful, worldwide and universal payment system accepted pretty much everywhere Debit and CCs are taken cannot be supported by you and your one device.

Now you're just trying obfuscate the point about Google's weird disassociation with older versions of Android the severe lack of NFC or adequate SW on nearly all shipping Android models.

However many people are using NFC payment, there are enough right now, and about to be a bunch more. I don't see why it matters that the number of NFC KitKat phones hasn't met some imaginary threshold where all is right with the world.

I think Android fragmentation is a huge problem for people who make stupid purchase decisions. It's not my problem, however.

• Reply 119 of 165
    However many people are using NFC payment, there are enough right now,.

Have you read this thread at all? Banks are sending out emails and updating their websites to let customers know they support ?Pay. They want you to use it because it saves them money. The merchants will want you to use it because it will make them money. Can you show me even one multinational that is backing Google Wallet?

Only Apple did it right.
    I don't see why it matters that the number of NFC KitKat phones hasn't met some imaginary threshold where all is right with the world.

It matters the same way that tossing NFC into a Nexus for sale with no SW, support HW, or any thought to infrastructure or security rendered that a useless feature on day one.
  • Reply 120 of 165
    Quote:

Have you read this thread at all? Banks are sending out emails and updating their websites to let customers know they support ?Pay. They want you to use it because it saves them money. The merchants will want you to use it because it will make them money. Can you show me even one multinational that is backing Google Wallet?

Only Apple did it right.

It matters the same way that tossing NFC into a Nexus for sale with no SW, support HW, or any thought to infrastructure or security rendered that a useless feature on day one.

I don't know what dreamland you're living in, but I tap to pay with my Discover card. It's worked for a year (when I first bothered to try). Explain to me why an email from a multinational bank will make it better?

One thing that will make it better is when it's ubiquitous, and only Apple can bring that kind of volume. I don't deny that. I don't know why you're trying to deny the fact that my 2012 phone can do it.