Apple's next product splash slated for second half of October

Comments

• Reply 41 of 113
    davemcm76 wrote: »
    Can't wait for Apple Pay to roll out... we've had contactless payments available in the UK for a good few years now although the POS equipment is now pretty widespread in stores it still hasn't off massively due to an imposed £20 limit on contactless transactions because of the lack of any signature or PIN requirement to verify the card you use is yours.

Jeez, that IS low. Mine is CAD$200.

Ahh ... So there are upper limits on the amount you can charge with contact-less transactions.

That should be an incentive for ApplePay TouchID-secured transactions for non-US implementations on existing NFC systems.

Maybe it was you, or someone else, knowledgeable of non-US NFC systems -- said that third-party processors are responsible for transaction processing (and security?) and generate most of the costs of contact-less transactions ...

And, that neither the merchants, the processors nor the banks are particularly interested in changing the status quo -- as there is no upside for them ... Correct?
  • Reply 42 of 113
    j1h15233 wrote: »
    Mac Mini update anyone? Looking to buy one but I know I need to wait for this show before I do.

Yes, please.
  • Reply 43 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

It is mind boggling that we sit here excited about stuff from Apple while there are folks killing other people over who has the best god! It's a strange world we live in.

Let them kill each other! The primitive morons killing each other aren't Apple users anyway, so it doesn't really affect us or AAPL, and that's what's important.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

I really hope so! It is sad though that your post is the first mention of the Mini in this entire thread. Interest simply isn't what it was for this machine. This is why I'm expecting a major overhaul.

I do think that quite a few people are waiting on the Mini refresh. It's just that it's been so long since the last update, so maybe people are tired of writing about it.

• Reply 44 of 113
    Apple is going to offer the Surface Coffee Table.

Oh... wait...

Ahh ... One of these beauties should decorate every living room:

Not only is it an heirloom / collector's item -- but it can be fitted with a big-assed multi-touch display ...

That can be used from the top and the bottom ... :D
  • Reply 45 of 113
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    wigby wrote: »
    I've been using a 240GB SSD in my Mac Pro tower and that includes iTunes, photos and a little video and it still has 50 GB of room.
    Lucky you! That is not the norm however.

Apple doesn't even offer 128GB flash for the new Mac Pro but if they did I would choose that.
    You do realize that in many cases the smallish SSDs are significantly slower than the large ones right?
    I have a 12TB RAID so why would I want to put anything but 50Gb of system files and apps on my boot drive?

That is my whole point, most installations go far beyond 50 GB for system files and apps. When I frst got my MBP I thinking I had used up 70'GB of space before the second day just doing app installation and the like. Add on a couple of VM's and you have effectively plugged up the HD if you are running only a 128 GB drive.
  • Reply 46 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by guiguihip View Post

I don't know about the UK, but France, Belgium, the Netherlands, Germany, Spain, Italy (and many more) have no NFC whatsoever! Most people there don't know what that is! If you think Britain's nearly the only country in Europe (which many Americans seem to do, though I don't know if your American) then you're beyond mistaken: Britain's the most advanced country technologically in Europe, so Apple Pay might debut there soon, but the rest of Europe will have to wait at least 6 months. I know people who work at major credit card companies (Visa, MasterCard, and AmEx) and they told me it will take at least 6 months to get Apple Pay in Europe! China, Canada, and Japan may very well support Apple Pay in the next few weeks, but Europe won't!

I don't know about you or where you live, bit I live in France and we have had contact less payment for some time which works on most terminals I have tried (limited to €20 up to 4 times) I have heard from some people that it is not 100% but do not know if that is the NFC or the terminal.
    Only today we found the Nexus 5 can read the bank card information through a pair of trousers.
    Apple Pay could be rolled out in France.
  • Reply 47 of 113
    Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

New iPads in 3 sizes. iPad Air and iPad Plus get split screen multi-tasking. All iPads get Touch ID.

You think the big one will be out this soon? I doubt it.

New retina iMacs and retina thunderbolt displays.

Only if Apple manages to get their hands on DisplayPort 1.3 early.

No AppleTV, no iPods...

Aww. I don’t bet on this. We need a new Apple TV to process the H.265 content that will be announced in the iTunes Store.

Originally Posted by psychobueller View Post

Would it be too much to wish for a 4.7" 128gb iPod touch?

Still waiting for that 5.5” iPod touch, myself. Great for kids/games.

• Reply 48 of 113
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You think the big one will be out this soon? I doubt it.

Yeah, Apple likes to take their time.

Maybe twelve months from now.

• Reply 49 of 113
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wigby View Post

3 sizes of iPads and retina iMac and retina displays sounds very eventful to me especially considering there have been no leaks of any of these products yet. Only speculation and mockups.

Wait until 48 hours before the event.  All hell will break loose... as always.

• Reply 50 of 113
    Quote:

Originally Posted by guiguihip View Post

Apple Pay is not gonna roll out to any other countries than the U.S. before at least 2015, that's for sure! There's stil lots that gotta be worked on with banks across the world, card issuers (Visa, MasterCard, and AmEx), and especially lots of contact-less payment stations that have to be installed globally (in countries where NFC hasn't taken off yet, like most European countries) before Apple Pay outside of the U.S. could really be of any use.

agreed.   if they get the retailers online during the next couple months, the holiday season will be great measures of the savings per transaction.  Better to focus on the critical few, get them right, and then use that as a springboard to convince/coerce other retailers and geographies to get onboard.

• Reply 51 of 113
    Quote:

Lucky you! That is not the norm however.

You do realize that in many cases the smallish SSDs are significantly slower than the large ones right?

That is my whole point, most installations go far beyond 50 GB for system files and apps. When I frst got my MBP I thinking I had used up 70'GB of space before the second day just doing app installation and the like. Add on a couple of VM's and you have effectively plugged up the HD if you are running only a 128 GB drive.

You do realize that Apple doesn't ship SSDs with Mac Pro. They are PCIe and much faster than standard SSDs of any size. I have every Apple pro app on my drive as well as all Adobe including all the music loops and few hundred more assorted apps. Not sure what's taking up so much space for you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Avonord View Post

Wait until 48 hours before the event.  All hell will break loose... as always.

But then why not a few months ago? We started seeing leaks for iPhones 6 months ago. Apple Watch came in right before the event but that's because only a handful have been made and probably in the USA.

• Reply 52 of 113
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    blackbook wrote: »
    New iPads in 3 sizes. iPad Air and iPad Plus get split screen multi-tasking. All iPads get Touch ID.

iPad Plus is an amazing idea. With bigger iPhones Apple need to further differentiate the iPad line.

What I think would help Apple:

1. iPad Plus.

2. Touch ID/?Pay compatible iPads

3. NFC iPads

WHAT?!! WHY?!!

This is why:

ipad-mount-square-pos.jpg

a 1-2 punch for Apple. These POS systems are gaining popularity, are secure, highly efficient, simple, take up minimal space, are small business friendly and would be a great companion to an iPad Plus for some stores.

Now made better with ?Pay

4. Touch ID MacBooks.

5. 32/64/128GB iPod touch.
    For the kids and those who just like to have them.
    Yes, I know the sales are dwindling by Apple standards but they're still making Apple good money and can be revitalized by including the current gen camera, upping capacity, including current gen graphics and possibly adding M7 if affordable and throw in iOS 8.
    Keep it 4" and you have a winner.

Launch it in plenty metallic colors and it's the cool kids digital camera/gaming device.

I think the Beats deal was still too recent. I don't think Apple will show off new headphones until they can announce a redesign. But who knows, they could have started new designs before the deal.
  • Reply 53 of 113
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

agreed.   if they get the retailers online during the next couple months, the holiday season will be great measures of the savings per transaction.  Better to focus on the critical few, get them right, and then use that as a springboard to convince/coerce other retailers and geographies to get onboard.

I wonder how Apple Pay will be implemented in the Apple Stores. Right now they swipe your CC with an accessory to an iOS device. Maybe there will be an Ad Hoc mode whereby payment can be made from iPhone to iPhone direct through NFC. I can't see them changing back to a cashier model where you stand in line.

• Reply 54 of 113

In the Charlie Rose interview, Tim alluded to the idea of "areas of interest" that haven't even been rumored, yet.  The Apple Watch was sort of expected...but Tim (and Eddie) has also mentioned "products" in the pipeline for this year.  I'd love to see something new, whether that be Apple TV, a new service, or something I can't even imagine.

• Reply 55 of 113
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    apple ][ wrote: »
    Let them kill each other! The primitive morons killing each other aren't Apple users anyway, so it doesn't really affect us or AAPL, and that's what's important.
    Unfortunately they do impact use and the rest of the world. Remember the dark ages lasted for far to long and it has taken humanity centuries to recover lost knowledge from that little fiasco brought on by religion.

I do think that quite a few people are waiting on the Mini refresh. It's just that it's been so long since the last update, so maybe people are tired of writing about it.

That certainly could be the issue. In some cases though I suspect tired means they have given up! It would be nice to see the Mini refactored into something different. It is too expensive for what it is and frankly I can see Apple going two different ways to correct that. The wait for action though is getting old, very old really, they need to do something quick.

As to the directions I still see huge potential for an ARM based Mac OS machine. It might not even be marketed as a mini. The idea here would be to hit the $200 to $300 price point. This is very doable considering the high expense of the current Intel chips. Before anybody says anything, no it won't have the performance of a state of the art Intel machine. However a four core A8 derived chip, with a solid clock rate bump, would make for a very nice machine. Such a chip would certainly be doable and frankly a powerful solution in a low cost box. If Apple keeps the power profile low enough the cost of the entire machine goes down so I can easily see Apple hitting a price range of 2-300 dollars for the base machine.
  • Reply 56 of 113
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by j1h15233 View Post

Mac Mini update anyone? Looking to buy one but I know I need to wait for this show before I do.

I really, truly hope so. If not, I'm going to have to start looking at iMacs.

• Reply 57 of 113
    Quote:

As to the directions I still see huge potential for an ARM based Mac OS machine. It might not even be marketed as a mini. The idea here would be to hit the $200 to $300 price point. This is very doable considering the high expense of the current Intel chips. 

Doesn't Thunderbolt require Intel chipset? I can't see a Mac without Thunderbolt.

• Reply 58 of 113
    Quote:

As to the directions I still see huge potential for an ARM based Mac OS machine. It might not even be marketed as a mini. The idea here would be to hit the $200 to $300 price point. This is very doable considering the high expense of the current Intel chips. Before anybody says anything, no it won't have the performance of a state of the art Intel machine. However a four core A8 derived chip, with a solid clock rate bump, would make for a very nice machine. Such a chip would certainly be doable and frankly a powerful solution in a low cost box. If Apple keeps the power profile low enough the cost of the entire machine goes down so I can easily see Apple hitting a price range of 2-300 dollars for the base machine.

I don't share your enthusiasm for a cheaper Mac Mini. I don't think that it is currently too expensive at all.

It is the cheapest entry point into the OS X world. And the Mini is no slouch! It's quite a powerful little machine in my opinion.

I'd rather see them stick with Intel and make the current Mini even more powerful and more attractive, and also keeping the prices the same. The current Mini is around $5-600, isn't that cheap enough? If somebody can't afford that, then they have no business using any computer in my opinion.

• Reply 59 of 113
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    cali wrote: »
    What other company is kicking this much a** and announcing this many products?

But next month we'll hear "Apple can't innovate" from people typing on their iPhoneys or other iKnockoff.

LOL love your comment. Talking about iPhoneys, I wish Apple had managed to come up with a patentable name for Apps rather than using a name everyone could copy and rip off the concept. How few seem to remember the entire mobile Apps phenomenon is also thanks to Apple.
  • Reply 60 of 113

A new Xserve   ;)