Apple launches iOS 8 for iPhone & iPad with third-party keyboards, widgets, Continuity & more

Comments

• Reply 21 of 136
    Both my iPhone and iPad say they have downloaded the update, but Preparing Update%u2026 is taking a very, very long time.
  • Reply 22 of 136
    No updates available on an iPhone 4, just as expected...
  • Reply 23 of 136
    So, here we are, expecting user dissatisfaction because their download got stuck @ 98%. "Been there for hours on" and default reactions like that. Well, expect activation problems on the 19th, preorder problem next week week some 22 countries, activation problems on the 26th and so on and so forth. The cycle continues, but the numbers increases. Except for Samsung, cause the two new iPhones will very much hurt their sales.

rogifan wrote: »
    I'm hearing OTA requires almost 6GB free space. Sucks for anyone that has an 8GB 5C.

Ehm, wow. That would suck, but I don't know if the 8GB owners are 'of the upgrading kind'.
  • Reply 24 of 136

Ok, that's it. I'm out to get some lunch. 

I figure that it will be done when I get back.:)

• Reply 25 of 136
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ericlmercer View Post

Say what? Are you in Cupertino? What kind of dl speeds do you normally get ?!?

korea- 40-50mb/s

• Reply 26 of 136
    This is the slowest download in history. Apple needs to hire some new people in the data center to rearchitect this mess because it is the same crap with every release. I would be glad to do it for them. Move over bozos.
  • Reply 27 of 136
    Oh, forgot to ask: anyone know how long they will sign iOS7? Last year it was 3 days, after which you couldn't downgrade.
  • Reply 28 of 136
    My iPad mini is saying [B]6.9 gigs[/B] of space needed ????????????
  • Reply 29 of 136
    enzomedici wrote: »
    This is the slowest download in history. Apple needs to hire some new people in the data center to rearchitect this mess because it is the same crap with every release. I would be glad to do it for them. Move over bozos.

tl;dr
  • Reply 30 of 136

Direct download links right here:

http://ios.e-lite.org

• Reply 31 of 136

Downloading now for my 5S. The OTA update weighed in at 1.1GB but required 5.7GB of free space. Shows 15 minutes remaining. It's been jumping between 7 and 29 for most of the time. About halfway done.

• Reply 32 of 136
    tomstraus wrote: »
    Both my iPhone and iPad say they have downloaded the update, but Preparing Update%u2026 is taking a very, very long time.

Get them some incentive : unplug both then via Siri promise the 1st one done gets some juice... ;)
  • Reply 33 of 136

Well you know we all rushed the severs like they were the walls of a fort, and we were being chased by zombies, wait we are the zombies. I was point and clicking iTunes to no avail, so I deleted all my Apple apps and some other ones to get below the 5.8 gig threshold on moth my iPhone and iPad with OTA updates, it says minutes, but I don't believe it. I'm starting to wonder about trusting Apple when they are always misleading about that wait time.

Ooo, ooo. ooo preparing update....

• Reply 34 of 136

I'm in DFW using a corporate wifi on Verizon's network. My speed is only 11Mbps, but I show only 2 minutes remaining (I've been at this for about 25 minutes).

• Reply 35 of 136

"unable to check for update" An error occurred while checking for a software update...

= another Apple clusterf@ck.

Can't do web casts properly

Can't operate their online store properly

Can't roll out their update properly.

It doesn't take a genius to make a guess that all of these things might be in high demand when they first roll out.  Apple should have the scale and intelligence to negate such challenges. :-(

• Reply 36 of 136

Finally got thru direct on the iPhone and iPad, iTunes is still not able to connect to update server.  iPad is almost 50% downloaded and iPhone progress bar shows 10% or so.  Time remaining is bouncing all over the place on both devices.  I really think this has as much to do with the ISPs not being prepared as with Apple.   AND....iPad just finished downloading and is prepping update

• Reply 37 of 136
    My Air download slowed from 1 hour to 13 hours remaining. However, iPod 5th from 1 hour down to 30 minutes during same period....
  • Reply 38 of 136

Finally it unpacked the download - I just hit the Install Now - and it's "Verifying update ..." - oh, there it goes, rebooting ... not long now....

• Reply 39 of 136
    Not yet available in Germany as of now (19:35) because the server is unreachable - via iTunes or iPhone directly.....
  • Reply 40 of 136

Took 12 min to download. A long time preparing update. Now finally starting the install process on my iPad4 

oh btw I have 52mpbs download speed at the house......