Apple's rumored 12.9-inch 'iPad Pro' pushed back to Q2 2015, current models to see steep sales decli

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 97
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hentaiboy View Post

Why do we accept this on our iPads when it never happens on a Mac?

'Cos we don't have a choice? What are you going to do if you want the best tablet? Boycott the iPad because of tab reloads?

• Reply 82 of 97
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

It would be nice to have some sort of guest mode or kid mode which has limited access to the device. Not everybody can afford to own multiple iPads and it would be nice for parents to be able to hand off their iPad to their kids without worrying about them accessing things they shouldn't or downloading stuff off the app store.

IMO, allowing multiple accounts is against Apple's business model. Apple wants to  sell as much hardware as possible. Multiple accounts is a deciding factor in buying a tablet for very few people and may not be a market Apple is trying to address.

Family Sharing is the closest you'll ever get to multiple accounts. I think it is a nifty solution. It addresses the exact problem you describe with kids above (of course, with an additional iPad for the kid).

Having said that, the enterprise apps coming from the Apple-IBM partnership may result in iPads supporting custom apps/ software that allows multiple logins. It will not be stock iOS though.

• Reply 83 of 97
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,303member

My concern is the market for the iPad Pro....who's going to buy it? The iPhone 6 and 6 Plus are selling like hotcakes, but iPad sales are either leveling off or declining. I sold my iPad Air once my Plus arrived because the screen size was more than sufficient for reading, gaming and much more. My sense is that with the larger screen sizes of both new iPhones, the need for an iPad for most people is diminished. I also believe the arrival next year of the 12" MacBook Air with Retina Display will further eat into iPad sales. Looks like the Apple Watch is arriving just in time.

• Reply 84 of 97
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    IMO, allowing multiple accounts is against Apple's business model. Apple wants to  sell as much hardware as possible. Multiple accounts is a deciding factor in buying a tablet for very few people and may not be a market Apple is trying to address.

Family Sharing is the closest you'll ever get to multiple accounts. I think it is a nifty solution. It addresses the exact problem you describe with kids above (of course, with an additional iPad for the kid).

Having said that, the enterprise apps coming from the Apple-IBM partnership may result in iPads supporting custom apps/ software that allows multiple logins. It will not be stock iOS though.

Guest mode doesn't even have to be a new account. It just needs to be a setting where a switch button says "require a password to launch all apps except".. And there's a list of exemptions. That's almost there already in the General->Restrictions prefs but not quite.

It's a very useful use case.
  • Reply 85 of 97
    Originally Posted by BlueFire1 View Post

My concern is the market for the iPad Pro....who's going to buy it?

People who know touchscreen desktop computing is the future.

I also believe the arrival next year of the 12" MacBook Air with Retina Display will further eat into iPad sales.

Yeah, that’s not real.

• Reply 86 of 97
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:

Exactly. And the Air 2 is proof that anyone who said iOS doesn't need 2GB RAM are full of shit. I rarely run into Safari tab reloads now. With the 1st gen Air it happened all the time.

Really, I still get Safari Tab reloads when using forums, I did see a big improvement within Chrome though and 2GB is defiantly a benefit for OS Experience,a Cyndia app that adds full multitasking to iOS, i.e. the ability to run multiple apps in the background, which is huge for me, it's like going from Mac OS 9 to OSX huge.

• Reply 87 of 97
    I thin there is more important question. Whether iPad Pro will wait for A9 or will get some A8XX. Not sure A8X variant could drive UHD display without performance hit.
  • Reply 88 of 97
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

People are much better off if they ignore all analysts.

Yes, they're just a bunch of morons paid to speculate.

• Reply 89 of 97
    bluefire1 wrote: »
    My concern is the market for the iPad Pro....who's going to buy it? The iPhone 6 and 6 Plus are selling like hotcakes, but iPad sales are either leveling off or declining. I sold my iPad Air once my Plus arrived because the screen size was more than sufficient for reading, gaming and much more. My sense is that with the larger screen sizes of both new iPhones, the need for an iPad for most people is diminished. I also believe the arrival next year of the 12" MacBook Air with Retina Display will further eat into iPad sales. Looks like the Apple Watch is arriving just in time.

I don't really care about the iPhone. Now I have the iPad Air 2, it's the best Apple product I've ever had the pleasure of owning. It renders the iPhone an accessory product. As such, I will be buying iPhones less frequently, as there is just no need for the latest and greatest. The iPhone 5 is the first one to stay fast after two years.

We don't have Apple Pay in Europe. I saw a guy the other day use a credit card to pay with NFC. It was very quick. By the time it reaches here fully, I imagine it will be closer to the time the 6s gets released.

The thing is, I much prefer using my iPad over my iPhone for almost everything.
  • Reply 90 of 97
    With phones getting bigger and more powerful and computers getting smaller and more powerful, the iPad is put in a position where it isn't necessary anymore. I love my iPad and will probably always have one, but I use my iPhone 6 and MacBook Air 11" far more than I do the iPad.

The iPad will still be huge in education and enterprise, but Apple does need to do something to reinvigorate people's interest in the product. Whatever happened to the split screen we were supposed to get? We need features like that and that's a pretty basic request if you ask me.

Right. The ipad hardware and form factor is perfect, what it needs is more versatility through software to expand usage cases. Many people I know wait for bluetooth mouse support, then it can be used as the perfect thin client.
  • Reply 91 of 97
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

People who know touchscreen desktop computing is the future.

Yeah, that’s not real.

You mean people who know touchscreen mobile computing is the future.  I don't anticipate Apple bringing touch to desktops anytime soon, if ever.

• Reply 92 of 97
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

Yes, they're just a bunch of morons paid to speculate.

When you put it that way, it sounds like the cushiest job ever.

Originally Posted by CanukStorm View Post

I don't anticipate Apple bringing touch to desktops anytime soon, if ever.

I still say before 2020. Just before, but before.

• Reply 93 of 97
    ipenipen Posts: 410member
    Quote:

The Air 2 is what the original Air should have been. I can understand why touch ID had to wait one year but the laminated display and 2GB RAM? Why wasn't that included in last years model?

That's Apple's business strategy.  If the touch ID and 2GB were in last year's model.  There won't be an Air 2 this year.

• Reply 94 of 97
    Quote:

Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post

Unless the iPad Pro is more than just a bigger iPad Air, I am failing to see how it can be a truly great product. I would much rather buy a Surface Pro 3 than a larger iPad.

Thanks, I needed a laugh.

• Reply 95 of 97
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

I don't really care about the iPhone. Now I have the iPad Air 2, it's the best Apple product I've ever had the pleasure of owning. It renders the iPhone an accessory product. As such, I will be buying iPhones less frequently, as there is just no need for the latest and greatest. The iPhone 5 is the first one to stay fast after two years.

We don't have Apple Pay in Europe. I saw a guy the other day use a credit card to pay with NFC. It was very quick. By the time it reaches here fully, I imagine it will be closer to the time the 6s gets released.

The thing is, I much prefer using my iPad over my iPhone for almost everything.

Though I have yet to own an iPhone I still feel the same way, I sure luv me some tablet. I now have 7, yep 7 of'em little buggers (3 of which are iPad Air 2's) tablets and each with their own special purpose;

1.) Kindle 7" HDX, 64GB RAM, LTE with an OtterBox case. I use this little go as my eBook reader and content consumption apps like; FlipBoard, Pinenterst, Feedly, TED, etc.

2.) Nexus 9, 32GB RAM, The newest addition to my tablet armada and is for development, specifically GPU.

3.) iPad Air 2, two models are 64GB Wifi and one is the 128GB with LTE and is connected to a keyboard case. The first two will be used for nothing else than music creation. Why two, simple, iOS doesn't support the running of multiple apps in the background, OS Experience for JailBroken iPad's has potential but I need as stable system and since I like to create music live I need at least 2 iPads, first iPad Air 2 is connected to 2 Novation LaunchPad S's and an LaunchControl XL, second iPad Air 3 to a Novation LaunchKey 25, M-Audio Axiom 49 and a Novation SL MkII and than both of those are connected to my new SM Pro Audio UMiX 12 Mixer. The UMix 12 is a fantastic product, I sold my Mackie DL1608 for it. It's has a built in web server which contains the touch optimized software that can be accessed via any system with a browser, also contains an optimized Chrome app which is what I'll be using with my Pansonic ToughPad. There is also an Android and iPad app.

4.) Panasonic 20" ToughBook, i7-3687U, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Quadro K2000M (specs say K1000M but the card is defiantly a K2000M), the GPU is modulator so I'm currently looking for a K4000M to replace the K2000M with. This big guy will be used for mixing and editing audio in conjunction with my UMiX 12 Mixer. I hired a neighborhood kid to build me a replacement desk top that I will be able to seat the ToughPad into so it will sit flush with the rest of the desk. When not in use I will simply cover it with a leather desk pad.

5.) Nokia 2520, 32GB 128GB MiniSD, Nokia keyboard case (built in battery for 16 hours of battery life) surfing, web apps, MS Office, eMail, Viber, Skype, movie player (since it has a built in HDMI out and supports Miracast wireless display it makes the perfect portable Kino, especially when used with a portable projector like )

I don't have a favorite, all of them are special in their own way.

• Reply 96 of 97
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,335moderator
    hentaiboy wrote: »
    rogifan wrote: »
    I rarely run into Safari tab reloads now.
    So the problem still isn't fixed. Why do we accept this on our iPads when it never happens on a Mac?

It actually did happen on the Mac, they brought that stupid feature back to the Mac when they should have left it where it was. When one tab messed up, it would auto-reload every other tab. Before this forum had an auto-save, I ended up using TextEdit to copy/paste replies into as a backup because of it. In newer versions, they stopped doing the auto-reload and instead popup a dialog to let you choose to reload everything or not:

I suspect it's not a problem at all now that they switched each tab to its own process:

Any single tab shouldn't affect another. They should do this in iOS if they aren't already and make sure to kill every process of closed tabs so there's no possibility for wasting memory and like I say, compress background tabs the way Mavericks/Yosemite does memory compression. Even just flush out the cached media from pages if needs be, the text doesn't have to flushed, it takes up hardly any space at all and is very easily compressed.
  • Reply 97 of 97

Okay, let’s assume the iPad Pro is still 4:3.

Since retina is a requirement and the minimum therefor is ~327 ppi, there are only a few resolutions that will work.

Assuming a 12.2” iPad Pro, the panels being manufactured could be 3200x2400 (QUXGA). Nice round numbers that work out to 327.87 ppi. A 12.9” iPad Pro would make that 310 ppi.

Assuming a 12.9” iPad Pro, the panels being manufactured could be 4096x3072 (HXGA), working out to 396.9 ppi. This has the added benefit of being exactly 2x the current iPad’s resolution. Of course, that’s a ludicrously dense panel.

And I just realized the current retina iPad is sub 300. So hey, either might work. I like the 2x, but that’s me. Either way, these are the resolutions for which we should be looking.