iPhone 6, 6 Plus owners complain of easily scratched screens

Comments

• Reply 141 of 215
    solipsismy wrote: »
    There is nothing "wrong" about language, there is only what we perceive as wrong, and that's bullshit unless communication is hundred. You logic that it's wrong because their is plural is bullshit when you ignore that it's also wrong to say he when it's female. None of it is ideal, you've chosen the one you prefer and deemed all others to be wrong. Labgauge doesn't work that way, has never worked that way, and will never work that way. Kay, Bro?

the author knew the gender of the iPhone owner and could have disclosed it as his or her iPhone. it cannot be "their" iPhone because that's plural and it's not a plural subject.

you can say "there are no rules, man!" about anything. try telling it to your English profs in university and see what "they" (plural) say.
  • Reply 142 of 215
    nolamacguy wrote: »
    the author knew the gender of the iPhone owner and could have disclosed it as his or her iPhone. it cannot be "their" iPhone because that's plural and it's not a plural subject.

you can say "there are no rules, man!" about anything. try telling it to your English profs in university and see what "they" (plural) say.

1) And if they didn't want even their gender disclosed?

2) Yes, there are rules, but you're ignoring the ones that say it's OK to support your unsupportable argument. All you can really say is that blah blah says you shouldn't do it. This shit is always in flux so you're just going to cause yourself pain if you expect labgauge to be rigid.
  • Reply 143 of 215
    Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

And if they didn't want even their gender disclosed?

They thouldn’t have had thoth drinkth with me.

Yes, that was a lisp joke. It’s valid because this is a computing website.

Yes, that was a...

• Reply 144 of 215
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    nolamacguy wrote: »

1) And if they didn't want even their gender disclosed?

2) Yes, there are rules, but you're ignoring the ones that say it's OK to support your unsupportable argument. All you can really say is that blah blah says you shouldn't do it. This shit is always in flux so you're just going to cause yourself pain if you expect labgauge to be rigid.

In fact that particular usage has periodically waxed and waned for several hundred years. It is on the rise at present, most likely because of the gender sensitivity issues, and, while it has recently been deprecated as improper under the strict rules of grammar, it clearly falls into the common use category. Personally I think it sounds clumsy, but there is no good alternative. It's likely here to stay and you are right - whining about it is pointless.
  • Reply 145 of 215

When I got my iPhone 6, I was worried about the raised glass screen. It looks great, but exposed. So after many generations of iPhones without a screen protector, I decided to cover the iPhone 6 with a ZAGG Invisibleshield. The latest model is even easier to apply and has a very smooth surface, but I think it contributes to my mistyping on the keyboard. I've been tempted to remove it, except I seem to be clumsier with this phone than the smaller previous models and have dropped it several times on concrete and other hard surfaces. Now, after reading this post, I may just keep the screen protector on indefinitely. 

• Reply 146 of 215
    muppetry wrote: »
    Personally I think it sounds clumsy, but there is no good alternative.

I agree, but I think it sounds less clumsy then using he for both sexes. Here's my reasoning, with the very line from this Ai article.

"AppleInsider has seen the issue first hand from a user who carries their phone in a microfiber satch"

Reading this I know it's a single person, but I can't assume a gender at this point. When I get to their, unless I want to assume the single user has undergone mitosis in the fraction of a second it took me to get from a user to their, the only logical conclusion is the gender is unknown.

"AppleInsider has seen the issue first hand from a user who carries his phone in a microfiber satch"

With the rewritten sentence I will now assume that the person is male. You now need more words to convey the same message. We have no problem with the other words having double duty so why not allow allow other words to offer this clarity in writing where the masculine form falls short. For me this has nothing to do with gender equality, but communication. If someone wants to create new words specifically for an unknown gender I'm all for it.

cm477 wrote: »
    When I got my iPhone 6, I was worried about the raised glass screen. It looks great, but exposed. So after many generations of iPhones without a screen protector, I decided to cover the iPhone 6 with a ZAGG Invisibleshield. The latest model is even easier to apply and has a very smooth surface, but I think it contributes to my mistyping on the keyboard. I've been tempted to remove it, except I seem to be clumsier with this phone than the smaller previous models and have dropped it several times on concrete and other hard surfaces. Now, after reading this post, I may just keep the screen protector on indefinitely. 

I wonder if Apple had to wait for this design until GG4 was available.
  • Reply 147 of 215
    It's astroturfing, all over the place.
  • Reply 148 of 215
    muppetry wrote: »
    Personally I think it sounds clumsy, but there is no good alternative.

I agree, but I think it sounds less clumsy then using he for both sexes. Here's my reasoning, with the very line from this Ai article.

"AppleInsider has seen the issue first hand from a user who carries their phone in a microfiber satch"

Reading this I know it's a single person, but I can't assume a gender at this point. When I get to their, unless I want to assume the single user has undergone mitosis in the fraction of a second it took me to get from a user to their, the only logical conclusion is the gender is unknown.

Actually, you don't know it's a single person. "their" could be referring to the nominative; AppleInsider in this case.

As to the gender, one presumes with the default masculine that the gender is male or female, perhaps more likely male, and if the gender is female, you know that it is female.
  • Reply 149 of 215

Yup, within a week of owning the iPhone 6 plus I had half a dozen light scratch marks in the middle of the screen.

It obviously goes without saying that I carefully look after my gear (to the point that my iPhone 4s is still blemish free after 3 years of heavy use).

I took the 6 plus to an Apple store in London and was told that there have been no other complaints about easily scratching screens and it was implied by the staff member I spoke to that I had just damaged the phone myself and was trying to pull a fast one to get a replacement out of them. They were not prepared to do anything about it and I left the store feeling exasperated by the level of service I got from Apple and frustrated with the sub-par quality of their newest iPhone that I have spent a small fortune on!

However, given that so many iPhones have been sold and barely anyone else is experiencing this issue leads me to believe that it could be a faulty batch and not a flaw with all iPhones.

• Reply 150 of 215
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    You're all ignoring the much more important revelation that AppleInsider is now observing its users ????
  • Reply 151 of 215
    Actually, you don't know it's a single person. "their" could be referring to the nominative; AppleInsider in this case.

It's not ambiguous. their doesn't refer to AI.
    As to the gender, one presumes with the default masculine that the gender is male or female, perhaps more likely male, and if the gender is female, you know that it is female.

Exactly my point. It's leads to a loss of communication and data, hence my comment.
  • Reply 152 of 215
    Quote:

Originally Posted by KindredMac View Post

I got a hairline scratch on mine after 5 days of owning my day one iPhone 6. It is perfectly straight and perfectly vertical. Gets annoying when viewing white backgrounds as it appears as a rainbow line. All of my iPhones prior have had more abuse with no scratches.

that's not a scratch, that's a crack.  I have one just like it, except it gets fancy at the ends

• Reply 153 of 215
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,927member
    I use his/her rather than their but his/her is rather clumsy and I can see why people don't use it.
  • Reply 154 of 215
    I could see if Apple made specific claims that the screen is immune to scratching but they did not, and it is not. Scratching anything made of glass (or metal, or painted things, or your car) is inevitable except maybe a diamond, but can't afford a diamond coated iPhone so cannot comment on that experience. Can we stop reporting about these types of stories (Assuming you can consider this reporting at all)
  • Reply 155 of 215

It's not ambiguous. their doesn't refer to AI.

It is ambiguous, though the accusative would be considered the most likely reference in this case.
  • Reply 156 of 215
    r00fusr00fus Posts: 245member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Noicc1138 View Post

I normally have a screen protector but this time I went commando. I took insane care of my iPhone 6. It went into a pocket with nothing else. Never dropped. Well, a month ago I found a scratch in lower right corner. A hairline scratch. It annoyed the hell out of me. Well, I took it to Apple, bought AppleCare, and they replaced the screen. Now I have a screen protector. It seems good so far.

Do any screen protectors offer oleophoic coating?  Most folks who I know use screen protectors - they found their screens are oily and gross after time, and eventually removed the protectors.

I hope my 6 doesn't exhibit any of these flaws in the next few months.  Damn thing is beautiful.

• Reply 157 of 215
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by IndyFX View Post

#Smudge-gate! ;-)

How about C4-gate? As an experiment, I strapped 4 ounces of C4 military explosive to a iPhone 6 and detonated it. The iPhone failed to function afterwards.

/s

Why the /s?

Do you mean it did still function after the C4?

• Reply 158 of 215
    I have an iPhone 6+ and I have had zero problems. This photo looks rigged.
  • Reply 159 of 215
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

Why the /s?

Do you mean it did still function after the C4?

The /s is a sarcasam tag. (not an untrue tag ;-)

Sarcasm doesn't nessassaraly mean that something isn't true. Often the reverse is true. In this case I created a ridiculous scenario that even a solid block of steel would have a tough time surviving (C4 burns so hot & it's blast wave expands so quickly (roughly ~20 times the speed of sound) that it can actually liquify & atomize (make into a vapor) solid steel) in order to highlight the absurdity of many of the "tests" that apple haters promote as proof that the iPhone is "fatally flawed"

• Reply 160 of 215
    indyfx wrote: »
    The /s is a sarcasam tag. (not an untrue tag ;-)
    Sarcasm doesn't nessassaraly mean that something isn't true. Often the reverse is true. In this case I created a ridiculous scenario that even a solid block of steel would have a tough time surviving (C4 burns so hot & it's blast wave expands so quickly (roughly ~20 times the speed of sound) that it can actually liquify & atomize (make into a vapor) solid steel) in order to highlight the absurdity of many of the "tests" that apple haters promote as proof that the iPhone is "fatally flawed"

But sarcasm is used to signify irony which is "the expression of one's meaning by using language that normally signifies the opposite" so it's easy to assume that the opposite means what is saying is not the writer's truth, right?