Protestors take over Fifth Ave Apple Store in 'die-in' demonstration

Comments

• Reply 141 of 365
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Blitz1 View Post

The real issue is that some need to be more law-abiding than others.

That because of what they wear, because of their skin color, their looks, ... some are more suspect than others.

The issue really isn't about being law-abiding.

The issue is racism and discrimination.

I sincerely congratulate you on fulfilling your goals with no help whatsoever. The thing is, being white, no one has ever questioned you, your motives or your acts. If you have a different skin color, you don't have that luxury. You're being tested: always, on whatever you do  and by everybody. That's the privilege you're benefiting from: not being tested again and again and again.

BTW: there are exceptions, even large ones, I know that. The rule of thumb still stands

I fundamentally disagree.  What is it with people of any race thinking that someone else is pushing them down.  This is the crap thinking that needs to end.  I've met successes in every race, and I've met absolute losers of every race.  As for the white man keeping the black man down (which is a complete lie), here's a little evidence for you to the contrary.  These are all successful black men who didn't listen to sob stories.  They made their own lives great.  In America, you're not going to be handed success, and it's not going to be easy.  Let these great men be an example every single time someone whines about not being able to succeed in this country.

http://www.blackentrepreneurprofile.com/fortune-500-ceos/

• Reply 142 of 365
    splif wrote: »
    The Union is not the only one at fault here but somehow to you that is the whole issue.

The union stands between the public and the public employee. It protects an offender from the negative consequences of their actions.

It's a huge part of the problem. It should be noted that union champion Franklin D. Roosevelt was against public employee unions. It was Kennedy who made them legal (to the everlasting detriment of taxpayers).
  • Reply 143 of 365
    blitz1 wrote: »

The real issue is that some need to be more law-abiding than others.
    That because of what they wear, because of their skin color, their looks, ... some are more suspect than others.

The issue really isn't about being law-abiding.
    The issue is racism and discrimination.

I sincerely congratulate you on fulfilling your goals with no help whatsoever. The thing is, being white, no one has ever questioned you, your motives or your acts. If you have a different skin color, you don't have that luxury. You're being tested: always, on whatever you do  and by everybody. That's the privilege you're benefiting from: not being tested again and again and again.

BTW: there are exceptions, even large ones, I know that. The rule of thumb still stands

I fundamentally disagree.  What is it with people of any race thinking that someone else is pushing them down.  This is the crap thinking that needs to end.  I've met successes in every race, and I've met absolute losers of every race.  As for the white man keeping the black man down (which is a complete lie), here's a little evidence for you to the contrary.  These are all successful black men who didn't listen to sob stories.  They made their own lives great.  In America, you're not going to be handed success, and it's not going to be easy.  Let these great men be an example every single time someone whines about not being able to succeed in this country.

Well said.

It's unfortunate that a large number of the black race have a bee in their bonnet about discrimination. They need to reform their culture and look to the many successful members of their race, rather than celebrate the nihilism of gangsters and thugs.
  • Reply 144 of 365
    Well said.

It's unfortunate that a large number of the black race have a bee in their bonnet about discrimination. They need to reform their culture and look to the many successful members of their race, rather than celebrate the nihilism of gangsters and thugs.

Believe it or not, a comment like that is not helpful. Racial issues stem from a bleak time in American history and it's probably never really going to be something that will be less than simmering below the surface, ready to blow at any time.

As I previously noted, ending the so-called "drug war" would be a solid first step toward lessening the footprint of the police state we've become accustomed.
  • Reply 145 of 365
    blitz1blitz1 Posts: 448member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Brian Green View Post

There are 7 black CEO's or Chairmen/women of Fortune-500 companies?

When I said there were exceptions, I never imagined they were so few!

Do the maths: that's 1,4%!

Want another figure?

1 out of 9 of the Judges in the Supreme Court is black (2nd ever out of 117).

• Reply 146 of 365
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    "Die-in" Ugh!
  • Reply 147 of 365
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    When I look at all these protest I see a lack of conviction among the protestors and most of them are doing it because they get to make what they think are some friends or perhaps they have a chance to get lucky with someone they want to date or whatever. I like to compare it to a storm : people see it coming they prepare or not , it hits there's lots of thunder and lightening rain wind etc and it is disruptive but on the whole it doesn't do much damage, it passes because it only has a finite amount of energy which quickly dissipates. The day after life gets back to normal, people pick up the pieces. All it really archieves is makes a few demonstrators feel good and they think they have made a lasting difference by giving the finger to the authorities. Life goes on....
    richl wrote: »
    As a protester, your main goal is to get your story into the media. Mission accomplished here.
  • Reply 148 of 365
    jakebjakeb Posts: 563member
    Wait what? I actually completely agree with people that the justice system is systemically racist and needs big changes, but what exactly does that have to do with Apple (or capitalism, for that matter)?

It sounds like groups with unrelated causes are trying to co-opt the conpletely legit anger in these recent cases and use it for their own purposes.
  • Reply 149 of 365
    You're an idiot and a fool.

There are 7 black CEO's or Chairmen/women of Fortune-500 companies?
    When I said there were exceptions, I never imagined they were so few!

Do the maths (can you?)!
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">Because you probably cannot: that's 1,4%!</span>

<span style="line-height:1.4em;">Want another figure?</span>

1 out of 9 of the Judges in the Supreme Court is black (2nd ever out of 117).

I'd be careful about relying too heavily on statistics in this instance. There are myriad factors at work in the process of heading a large company and being a Fortune 500 CEO is a statistically improbable event for the vast majority of the population, no matter what their skin color.

If you look at the makeup of small and medium sized businesses, I'm confident these owners look a lot more like the general population.
  • Reply 150 of 365
    blitz1blitz1 Posts: 448member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I'd be careful about relying too heavily on statistics in this instance. There are myriad factors at work in the process of heading a large company and being a Fortune 500 CEO is a statistically improbable event for the vast majority of the population, no matter what their skin color.

If you look at the makeup of small and medium sized businesses, I'm confident these owners look a lot like the general population.

I fully understand that but if race were not an issue, then there'd be 134 people on the CEO-list.

There's a twentyfold "error margin"... That makes my point not too absurd.

• Reply 151 of 365
    gtbuzzgtbuzz Posts: 129member

Apple, Please Close the Store as soon as possible, pull the Chains down, secure the product, station armed private security guards or pay several off duty police officers inside and we will order from the internet.

This is not a forum for politics.

• Reply 152 of 365
    Originally Posted by MessagePad2100 View Post

So you can't ignore them.

So they’d rather be completely discredited than ignored? Props to them for having some unintentional sense.

Originally Posted by Pontavignon View Post

...the in-camera Grand Jury decided not to allow a homicide case to go to court for public scrutiny and judgement.

Because it was determined that no criminal wrongdoing had occurred on the part of the police officer.

Originally Posted by Eideard View Post

Thanks for reminding folks that using Apple products doesn't make you less of a racist.

That’s pretty funny. You, I mean. You’re pretty funny. For believing this is an argument, I mean. Or that you’re making a valid point in any way.

• Reply 153 of 365
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Because it was determined that no criminal wrongdoing had occurred on the part of the police officer.
    Incorrect. An indictment decides probable cause to charge, not guilt or innocence.
  • Reply 154 of 365
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,927member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    People don't listen to cops all the time. It doesn't merit using deadly force. If someone is agitated they probably have high amounts of adrenaline running through their body, and might not hear a command unless told a few times. If a person is acting violently then it shouldn't be difficult to defuse the situation by talking.

And that's the problem. Listen to your parents. Listen to your teachers. Listen to the cops.

Talking is fine unless the other guy is trying to get your gun.
  • Reply 155 of 365
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    BTW: God is a sham. Live with it

You've just mad that you were denied tax free status, because your God is a pillow. :lol:
  • Reply 156 of 365
    jungmark wrote: »
    And that's the problem. Listen to your parents. Listen to your teachers. Listen to the cops.

Talking is fine unless the other guy is trying to get your gun.

Except many minority children don't have that parental foundation. My son is 9 yrs old, and he has friends that have been running the streets unsupervised since they were 5. Needless to say I now keep my son away from them, because I know full well what life the path they're on is going to lead to.
  • Reply 157 of 365
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I don't read the Verge.

That's a good suggestion of yours, anyway. It would only work with segregation, but maybe that's a good thing.

If I was a white cop I certainly wouldn't want to police a mostly black neighborhood. Whatever you do is going to be perceived as racism by some people. By why isn't the Verge (and other sites) talking about black culture and why there is more crime and violence in predominantly black neighborhoods? And why this hasn't gotten any better six years into Obama's administration. Racial tensions are higher than ever even though The first black president was elected with majority white votes.
  • Reply 158 of 365
    rogifan wrote: »
    If I was a white cop I certainly wouldn't want to police a mostly black neighborhood. Whatever you do is going to be perceived as racism by some people.

Easily avoided by treating the residents like people. By being courteous, and respectful, and you'll receive courtesy, and respect right back.
  • Reply 159 of 365
    splifsplif Posts: 603member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

The union stands between the public and the public employee. It protects an offender from the negative consequences of their actions.

It's a huge part of the problem. It should be noted that union champion Franklin D. Roosevelt was against public employee unions. It was Kennedy who made them legal (to the everlasting detriment of taxpayers).

Was the prosecutor in the big evil union? There were public service unions before Kennedy. You never seem to pontificate about working conditions & treatment of working people before unions.

• Reply 160 of 365
    v900v900 Posts: 101member
    The problem Isn't a sudden nor drastic epidemic in the number of young black men killed by police.

That number has stayed more or less the same for many years. It was around 450 in 1994, and 20 years later it's 461.
    (According to USA Today about 96 of those involved a white police officer and a black victim.)

In a country of 300 million thats a blip on the radar. To put it in perspective, according to the National Safety Council, in a recent year 744 people died of food obstructing their respiratory tract.

Yes, you read that right. We could probably save more young black males, by increasing awareness about chewing food properly.

So what has changed since this is suddenly such a dramatic issue?

It's tolerance and respect. Tolerance for opinions and those who hold them, and respect for words and their meaning.

Words like genocide used to mean something. And certainly not what you see protesters using it to describe. racism" used to mean something. Today people casually throw it around, and is often likely to be used as a slur, to shut down debate or to show your disapproval with a given subject. (Is a law "racist", if it gives police a very wide leeway into using deadly force? It may be problematic and you may disagree with it, but a black policeman would disagree with the fact that the law is racist.)

And the same goes for tolerance for others opinions. Dissent used to be tolerated. And difference of opinion. At the end of the day, people agreed to disagree, and as long as your professional life didn't suffer, business and universities found room for all sorts of dissenting, outrageous and nutty ideas.
    (But McCarthyism! Yes. Exactly. It didn't take long for McCarthy to run out his welcome...)

Today however? Today we fire CEOs for having made political donations.

So its no wonder that we see a hysteria like this after the tragic death in NYC, or the Grand Jury finding in Ferguson. Instead of discussing the issues, stores are set on fire, and protesters insist that they can't be wrong.

And while police brutality is a problem overall, it can't be that justice was done in this case.

After all, the law is racist. As is everyone who doesn't share our opinion. And justice can't have been done, unless it goes the way we want it to go!

The only reason to be optimistic, is that the protests are still tiny compared to former protest movements...